PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth from Exercise

blondecat
April 1st, 2010, 01:39 AM
My hair somehow got an 1/2 inch longer this week. Perhaps it would have done this anyway, but.....

Has anyone else felt the sweat and blood pulsing through their body/ scalp has had a benificail effect on their hair.

My scalp sweats a real lot with my exercise and somehow I think the blood flow to the scalp is helping lessen the fall. I'm loosing less hair this week, compaired to last week.

Nothing else in my week is different.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM
that is true, when you exercise your whole body's blood circulation increases and that includes your scalp. Better circulation helps follicles receive the good stuff in the blood, maximizing hair growth.

I haven't read anything about the sweat though, I only know salty sweat can contribute to dandruff :/

blondecat
April 1st, 2010, 03:16 AM
that is true, when you exercise your whole body's blood circulation increases and that includes your scalp. Better circulation helps follicles receive the good stuff in the blood, maximizing hair growth.

I haven't read anything about the sweat though, I only know salty sweat can contribute to dandruff :/

Opps, I better remember to rince well tonight then. I only wash my hair once a week or more, sometimes I extend up to a fortnight.

starlights
April 1st, 2010, 05:15 AM
yes exercise deffo helped me reach my goal of waist.... in over a month it literally reached goal, whilst i was actively exercising, whereas for the past year it had been growing at an OK rate, but i think the blood circulation through exercise speeded up the process, so i recommend it to everyone :)
but yeah the sweat from exercise can increase dandruff and itchy scalp...
to counter act, i usaully oil my scalp just before exercise, then bun up, and it stops my dandruff! dont know if it will work for everyone tho, lol

jennyjukes
April 1st, 2010, 05:25 AM
best reason for me to exercise:D
i'm always torn between upping my amount of exercise and amount of shampooing or decreasing as i only shampoo once a week:( would a simple rinse and maybe cowash be enough to get it out, what would you normally do?
ive definitely seen improvement since exercising plus it makes me feel good, i think that and my multivitamins have contributed to the half an inch in 3 and a half weeks i've had. (i'm very young but before i hardly had any growth)

@above unfortunately my hair hates oil, even coconut:'(

Dreams_in_Pink
April 1st, 2010, 05:31 AM
i'm always torn between upping my amount of exercise and amount of shampooing or decreasing as i only shampoo once a week:( would a simple rinse and maybe cowash be enough to get it out, what would you normally do?

I don't think you'd need shampoo to get sweat out. Sweat itself is basically salty water, right? ;) you should be able to dissolve the salt with a WO wash.

tiare_petal
April 1st, 2010, 05:38 AM
Increased oxygen supply can positively affect hair/skin I've been reading recently. I hate to exercise so was thinking about using some breathing techniques instead :bounce:
"c) Oxygen deficiency
Oxygen deficiency in your blood weakens the hair follicles, leading to dryness of the scalp and hair loss. Uncontrolled diet that is high in saturated fat causes cholesterol building up in your arteries resulting in less oxygen in your blood stream. Also cigarette smoking and second hand smoke reduces the blood flow and increases the blood clotting activity of cells which would clog the blood flow and damage arteries causing oxygen deficiency and results in weaken of the hair follicles."
http://stophairbreakage.org/

blondecat
April 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM
Increased oxygen supply can positively affect hair/skin I've been reading recently. I hate to exercise so was thinking about using some breathing techniques instead :bounce:
"c) Oxygen deficiency
Oxygen deficiency in your blood weakens the hair follicles, leading to dryness of the scalp and hair loss. Uncontrolled diet that is high in saturated fat causes cholesterol building up in your arteries resulting in less oxygen in your blood stream. Also cigarette smoking and second hand smoke reduces the blood flow and increases the blood clotting activity of cells which would clog the blood flow and damage arteries causing oxygen deficiency and results in weaken of the hair follicles."
http://stophairbreakage.org/

Wow, that was a very interesting read, Thank You for posting it :)

blondecat
April 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM
best reason for me to exercise:D
ive definitely seen improvement since exercising plus it makes me feel good, i think that and my multivitamins have contributed to the half an inch in 3 and a half weeks i've had. (i'm very young but before i hardly had any growth)

@above unfortunately my hair hates oil, even coconut:'(

I just run under the shower for about 5 minutes, a water only wash.

Carolyn
April 1st, 2010, 06:22 AM
I hate exercise and sweating but it would sure be worth it for faster growing hair. I know I need to exercise and I try. I do yoga, aqua aerobics, and when the weather gets nice I'll add some walking time too. I would think that anything that increases circulation would help. Scalp massages are supposed to be beneficial. If I sweat a lot I always wash my hair either that day or the next day. For light sweating I usually don't unless I was planning to wash it anyways. I don't think an extra wash is going to hurt anything.

Honestwitness
April 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
That article says Aspartame causes weight gain. I question that.

ruffian
April 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM
Haha...I guess I'm the only one who actually likes to sweat ( :hmm: or maybe I tricked myself into thinking that I do, being that it's unavoidable for me. My job requires a lot of physical work and being outside all the time, so sweat is inevitable.)

I dunno...I've always felt that sweating and getting your blood moving through excercise does nothing but good things for you...it just feels good, like you're getting rid of whatever nasty stuff is in your body. You sweat, you drink a ton of water, hop in the shower, and feel awesome afterwards. :shrug:

I'm also a firm believer that increasing your circulation through excercise improves the general condition of your hair. I notice that I shed a lot more when I've been sedentary and lazy for prolonged periods of time (which doesn't happen often, but still...)

RoseRed27
April 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
That article says Aspartame causes weight gain. I question that.

You'd think it wouldn't, but it's becoming more and more accepted that artificial sweeteners are not part of a good diet. Many articles about weight loss recommend avoiding diet drinks and artificial sweeteners like Splenda. The body expects a sugar high from a sweet treat. When it doesn't get one, cravings go up. More cravings equal more snacks. You'd be better off having a little bit of the sugary snack.

I definitely think getting the blood flowing will promote healthy hair growth. I noticed a difference when I added more cardio to my yoga-only practise.

blondecat
April 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
You'd think it wouldn't, but it's becoming more and more accepted that artificial sweeteners are not part of a good diet. Many articles about weight loss recommend avoiding diet drinks and artificial sweeteners like Splenda. The body expects a sugar high from a sweet treat. When it doesn't get one, cravings go up. More cravings equal more snacks. You'd be better off having a little bit of the sugary snack.

I definitely think getting the blood flowing will promote healthy hair growth. I noticed a difference when I added more cardio to my yoga-only practise.

OK I may be Odd that way.

I have been on Sugarine and splenda and Equel ofr over 10 yrs and I don't think I get cravings. I don't remebmer any.

But, I am on them for Pre-diabeties, Not weight loss

GoddesJourney
April 4th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Yes. This actually does make a big difference. This is part of why our hair tends to grow faster in warmer weather and why we do scalp massages (plus they feel good). My hair grew like a weed when I used to train a lot.

Clarisse
April 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Blood flow and increased oxygen levels in the blood is good for the hair - but excessive exercise and exercise that focus on muscle building/fat burning increase the amount of testosteron in the blood, causing weaker hair/hair loss/slower hair growth. I don't know if it's a myth, but at least that's what I've always been told :hmm:
This would mean that head stands, yoga, moderate amounts of ballet and running, scalp massages and good breathing techniques would be beneficial for the hair, while no exercise at all, weight lifting, "aggressive" sports and elite level football/soccer/ballet/running/swimming/you name it would weaken the hair... :shrug:

elina333
April 4th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Blood flow and increased oxygen levels in the blood is good for the hair - but excessive exercise and exercise that focus on muscle building/fat burning increase the amount of testosteron in the blood, causing weaker hair/hair loss/slower hair growth. I don't know if it's a myth, but at least that's what I've always been told :hmm:
This would mean that head stands, yoga, moderate amounts of ballet and running, scalp massages and good breathing techniques would be beneficial for the hair, while no exercise at all, weight lifting, "aggressive" sports and elite level football/soccer/ballet/running/swimming/you name it would weaken the hair... :shrug:

Wow, I've never heard this before! How fascinating! I have to look into it more. Thanks for the info!

Hana
April 4th, 2010, 06:46 AM
sounds like a good generalisation from this article would be - "be healthy, do some exercise and dont smoke is beneficial for your hair to grow at its optimum".
which is common sense. and I agree.

talecon
April 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
sheesh more motivation to get my lazy butt off the couch and exercise :D

Capybara
April 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I would think that a healthy amount of exercise would benefit hair growth. But, too much and you may see ill effects, IMHO :o

Tovah
April 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I know that cardio-excercize does wonders for my skin, so then why not my hair?
I never thought of that.

I'm supposed to do 45 minutes of cardio-vascular excercize at least 4 times per week because of my heart issues. I kept injuring myself by pushing too hard and had to stop. Now I've gone back to it and taking it a bit easier. Yeah, I'm the type who pushes too hard. Its my competitive spirit, even against myself!

I do hate going to the gym...all those women in 'cute' outfits and body builder types do bother me.
There are some of us regular people there too, thank goodness.

Speckla
April 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I think it can. You're probably eating better if you're exercising and it can work all the way around. Better circulation to distribute the better nutrient intake.

xxaimsxx
April 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Oh yes it helps allot! It's something to do with blood circulation. Its the same when you massage your scalp. :)
It also helps the skin excercising does.

A win win situation.

skarab
April 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I've been doing Crossfit the last 2 months and my hair's had a great growth spurt in length and new growth. Building a lot of muscle with that, so I don't think the testosterone is a problem. Actually, when I was on the Pill for 5 years (stopped in November) I lost about 1/3 of my volume and I didn't start gaining it back until just now with the Crossfit.

fluffycandy
October 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
sorry to bump an old topic,

but does it matter if exercising indoors or outdoors in the sun?

growing2shine
October 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Haha...I guess I'm the only one who actually likes to sweat ( or maybe I tricked myself into thinking that I do, being that it's unavoidable for me. My job requires a lot of physical work and being outside all the time, so sweat is inevitable.)

I dunno...I've always felt that sweating and getting your blood moving through excercise does nothing but good things for you...it just feels good, like you're getting rid of whatever nasty stuff is in your body. You sweat, you drink a ton of water, hop in the shower, and feel awesome afterwards.

I'm like that too... But because of my illness I can't do much about workouts and exercise.

But After I started scalp messageing my hair has started to grow a lot faster. It's totally worth it!

Well I'm not a 100% sure what you mean, but I don't think it matters if you exercise indoors or outdoors. The important thing is building up a sweat, but off course it's not good if you exercise in a small room with poor air circulation. :)

RachieBaby
October 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
All the more reason for me to get to the gym and start swimming more then :) hopefully hip length hair and a bikini body for summer 2011! ;) ahaha

fluffycandy
October 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Well I'm not a 100% sure what you mean, but I don't think it matters if you exercise indoors or outdoors. The important thing is building up a sweat, but off course it's not good if you exercise in a small room with poor air circulation. :)
thanksssss :)

punkcatknitter
October 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Darn, that means my treadmill shouldn't just be a large clothing rack, huh?

Hmm... I think faster hair growth would be a way better motivator than weight loss...

JenniferNoel
October 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Exercise is beneficial to the entire body and mind in a huge number of ways, including stress relief, hormone balance, sleep, circulation, weight, and cognitive function. Paired with a balanced, healthy diet and a great hair care routine as a base, it can, indeed, help hair growth along in two ways. Circulation to the scalp, and the other physical benefits mentioned above.
So by all means, another excuse to get out and work out! :cool:

McFearless
October 8th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I SWEAR by exercise for hair growth.

McFearless
October 8th, 2010, 10:04 PM

It doesnt matter. As long as you increase your heart rate your blood will pump.

Dragon
October 9th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I think I'm going to have to start exerciseing more.

Jessica Trapp
October 9th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Hooray on the extra-fast growth! :cheese:

ems
October 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hey, I wonder how much your hair would grow if you spent a week in a sauna! :hooched: