PDA

View Full Version : breakage

PhillyGirl1978@
May 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I do a peacock twist a lot with my hair sticks. The twist goes up the middle of my head, like normal. Does anyone else notice the hair thinner in this area? I don;t know weather the hair on either side of the twist just feels thicker because the hair kind of parts so maybe there is just more hair on either side and the middle part where the twist is feels thinner by comparison when I take the twist out. I just wanna make sure I can't be harming my hair by doing this. Should I just learn a new style. My hair is pretty think and I think I am gonna need more length to do a proper bun.

Nat242
May 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure if what you're seeing is breakage, but I do think that it's a good idea to vary your styles, just to make sure you don't put undue stress on a particular patch.

If your hair is too short for buns, have you tried braids? French twist? Gibson tuck?

-- Natalie

PhillyGirl1978@
May 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I've never been real good at braiding my own hair, I'm not sure what a Gibson tuck is. I don't do the twist tight I'm just afraid. I have gained quite a bit of length since I cut in September and I would hate to sacrifice any for breakage over an improper hairstyle.

birdiefu
May 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Do you have little short hairs without tapers? If you do, that would really point to breakage. But without seeing it, it sounds like it could be more of a perception thing. Since you are pulling all the hair from the sides and bottom together, right at the area where you have the twist the volume of hair can seem a whole lot less, since it's from a smaller area. Try tilting your head to the side (or wherever you think it's thicker), pulling hair from the back over there and see if you get the same effect in this new location.

hazelfaern
May 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I've never been real good at braiding my own hair, I'm not sure what a Gibson tuck is...

I wasn't either (sure what a Gibson Tuck could be) so I employed my trusty google skills and discovered three good explanations (it's a nifty and quite pretty hairstyle, by the way -- I plan on trying this one)

1. Decent explanation, no pictures (http://www.geocities.com/dashofsalt.geo/fg/gibson.html#tuck)
2. Good explanation, ok pictures (http://www.longlocks.com/hairstyles.htm) (scroll down to "Elegant Gibson")
3. Ok explanation, great step-by-step pictures + variations (http://thatcostumegirl.com/category/hairwigs)

Hope that helps! :)

PhillyGirl1978@
May 5th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I'm not sure probably not related to the twist, that area is in the back and I couldn't see shorter pieces if I had them. Some breakage I had up front though from previous damage shows me some little pieces, I think they might taper though so that might just be hair growing back from relaxers I used to get. With the twist it's king of just the feeling of decreased bulk in the area where the twist usually is. Maybe that is just pperception. I hope so.

PhillyGirl1978@
May 5th, 2008, 04:40 AM
And thanks for the link about the tuck, I might have to try some new styles!