PDA

View Full Version : Hip length ??

Fee
May 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
So I'm slowly approaching hip length ( I think :D) but I have a dilemma, the thing is I'm not sure where hip length is..I know where my hips are obviously but I'm not sure if hip length should be on top of hips or little bit lower... :/ If I measured correctly hip length on me is 34", but the top of hips if I may call it so is around 33" I'm 5'4 by the way...here is a picture of my hair..my hands are on my waist,and the longest hairs are touching "top of hips"..I'm not sure what hip length on me is now :( how much is it on you? thanks.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8947/img0074cw8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

p.s about 1.5" after my shirt ends is tailbone on me :)

AJoifulNoise
May 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one. I didn't make hip length my next goal because I couldn't pinpoint where it was! I'm interested in seeing the replies to this thread.

memee1978
May 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
im afroamerican and i want hip length hair.my hair has always been very long.i have curly wavy hair thats waist legth when stretch.and its very healthy.my hair seems to grow un even for some reason,but mostly i wear protective styles.i love buns!!!!i love up dos.but i want hip length hair by christmas of this year.any ideas for faster growth.all ideas are welcome.:)

Angellen
May 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I, too, am hovering around that mysterious area. Personally I don't like saying I'm at a certain length until I am solidly there and it's rather undeniable at that point. I have a tendency to second-guess myself, and this way I am not able to. ;) So you might try that, if you like. You can also use a measuring tape or somesuch, and wrap it around your hips. Look in the mirror and see how much you need (or don't need!) to grow.

prosperina
I'm going to try to measure hip by where my jeans sit, and the sharp jut out of my hip bones. Well, it isn't *that * sharp of a jut, :wink: but when I stand up, I can feel them at the front of my body, and to a lesser extent on the sides. If I were carrying a child or a heavy bag of groceries, I would prop them right there on my hip.

That's a pretty prosperina-centered version of where hip length is, but that's the only way I know how to do it.

lirael
I used to sew a lot of my own clothes and in patterns, the hip is supposed to be the widest part of your bottom, or about 8" below your natural waist. I hope this helps.

lirael
May 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
While we're on the subject, what exactly is "classic" length?

spidermom
May 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I rested my hands on the tops of my hips for my most recent picture because I wondered the same thing. Yup; I think I'm at hip length. The longest ends in my U-shape are, anyway.

prosperina
May 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I *think* classic length should cover your bum. It needs to be at that place where bum and leg meet. My classic length is loooong because I have a big tush. :D The perkier and smaller the bum the shorter the measurement in inches.

Fee, I think you're nearly there.

memee1978
May 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I rested my hands on the tops of my hips for my most recent picture because I wondered the same thing. Yup; I think I'm at hip length. The longest ends in my U-shape are, anyway.
yes you are at hip length.you have lovely hair.:)

Fee
May 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
thanks for sharing, yeah I hope I'm nearly there,but when I look at my hair it seems so short and everyone else's hair which is hip length seems so much longer than mine.

squiggyflop
May 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
it looks like hip to me!

spidermom
May 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM
thanks for sharing, yeah I hope I'm nearly there,but when I look at my hair it seems so short and everyone else's hair which is hip length seems so much longer than mine.

Not true, Fee; your hair is looking quite long these days. The ends of your longest strands are most definitely at hip length.

Meli
May 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think I read somewhere that hip length hair should reach the top of the hip bones (not sure, though). I know where this is on me, but to measure where it is along my back is something completely different... I have tied a ribbon around my hips and moved it to about the right height, still I get different measurements every time. I finally decided to consider hip length as 34", on me, that is 3" below waist and 4" above TBL. I think this is fairly accurate because my hips looks closer to waist than tailbone. At least it should be at solid hip length by then - wet and stretched my hair looks hip length already, and I'm currently at 33 1/4". Dry hair - not quite yet.

I think you are at "can I call this hip length" ;) and need perhaps about 1/2" more to claim solid hip length. :twocents:

sipnsun
May 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I also think you are at hip length. Your hair looks very long to me, it will be years before I'm that long!

Fee
May 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
They do touch top of hips,but lower than that is also hips, I'm confused :D I usually have this white shirt on and look on it how much my hair has grown, I hope to reach the end of the shirt by the end of this year (no matter if hip,tb or whatever) it looks like a great length to me.

@meli - my hips are also closer to waist than to tailbone..tailbone seems miles away.

Xanthippe
May 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I think you are at top of hip length judging by the picture. In another inch or so, then your longest hairs will definitely be at hip length.

Another factor is the shape of your hemline versus a blunt hemline.

I waited until I was a bit past the tops of my hip sockets to say I was hip length, but there is also some leeway because my waves eat up some of the length when it's dry. I used to think that 33 inches was hip on me, but when I reached that, it didn't look quite like hip yet.

Kiraela
May 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
You definately look hiplength to me! And I understand about feeling like your hair is short compared to others' at the same length... mine was 25" at waistlength, and 34.5 is tailbone! So yeah, I can understand that feeling, LOL.

btw, that shirt looks awesomely comfy.

Raederle
May 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hip was elusive for me, too. I posted pictures sometime last year, asking if I was finally at waist, and got several responses that I had already passed waist and was firmly in hip land. Your picture sure looks like hip length to me. Congrats.

jojo
May 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I used to sew a lot of my own clothes and in patterns, the hip is supposed to be the widest part of your bottom, or about 8" below your natural waist. I hope this helps. you took the words out of my mouth, my mother used to always tell me your hips are 8" below your waist too, she was a streamstress .

Irishred
May 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM
While we're on the subject, what exactly is "classic" length?

classic length is the bottom of your bottom or the line where your cheeks meet your thighs.

Anje
May 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hip length, around here, is the top of your pelvis -- by that measurement, you're at hip length! Mine's just a little past that point, around the top of where I wear my pants (note that this is belly-button height on me - fairly high), and my mother announced that it was waist-length. No, my waist is that little dip in below my boobs, my hair is at my love handles!

Hip length in the seamstress (is a male a seamster?) definition is the widest point, usually about where the femur joins the pelvis. For me, that's somewhere between tailbone and classic length.

Classic length is where the butt meets the legs, and it's a lot easier to determine if you have a nice little fold there, which not everyone has. It's where the bottom of snug-fitting granny-style panties sit.

Euphony
May 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hip length on me is about 31" (I'm super short waisted). I thought hard about that one a long time ago because I want a tail bone length braid...well the widest part of my hips is a smidge below my tail bone. So I figured hip length hair wasn't at the widest part of my hips but at the top of my hips.

Iylivarae
May 7th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm also brushing hip.
I think hip starts where the hip bones begin... it is just hard to mark that place, I think.... at least I'm always having troubles...
Hip is also at 31'', on my body.

Meli
May 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I used to sew a lot of my own clothes and in patterns, the hip is supposed to be the widest part of your bottom, or about 8" below your natural waist. I hope this helps.

you took the words out of my mouth, my mother used to always tell me your hips are 8" below your waist too, she was a streamstress .

What you are refering to as hips, from the sewing point of view, is not defined in the same way as hips from the hair length point of view. The sewing kind of hips, defined as the widest part of the bottom, is usually below what is refered to as hips when it's about hair length. This site (http://www.ida.net/users/northstr/hairlength.html) explains different hair lengths, unfortunately all pictures don't show up for me (they used to show up before).

I'm also sewing sometimes, and for what it's worth, the Swedish translation for the sewing kind of hips, does not refer to the Swedish word for "hip" at all. But it is synonymous to the Swedish words for bottom/bum. According to my primary language, I have always thought of hips as where the hip bones are. The widest part of the bottom, as used for sewing, is something different, and way below hips on me.

Delenn
May 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
OHMYGOSH this means I'm passing hip length, holy moly I thought hip length was lower for some reason. Durrrr, silly me! Wooo, I'm excited!!

Kiraela
May 7th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Congrats to you too, delenn!