PDA

View Full Version : Consuming more protein for better hair?

marla
March 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Well for 3 years now, I have tried everything on this forum and I still have pretty bad hair. Very thin and dried out looking. The only thing I can think of is that I am a vegetarian. I do eat eggs and dairy, but perhaps I'm not getting enough protein? Has anyone taken protein supplements and seen an improvement in their locks? BTW all medical issues aside from this factor have been explored and found not to be an issue.

hendrix.co
March 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
vegetarian as in you don't eat meat or you eat vegetables? I know of vegetarians that don't eat meat but don't eat their vegetables either. How is your diet? Is it full of greens and wheat? Are you getting your omega's?

Juliannaissance
March 30th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Eggs are plentiful in protein, they actually absorb about 100% of the complete proteins. But just don't eat too many eggs, they aren't that good for people's hearts. Especially cholesterol. 1 egg a day is already bad, mainly for women.

Igor
March 30th, 2010, 11:08 PM
A lot of times there is nothing to do but actually try

If you think this is the issue, it probably is!

If you can find a vegetarian protein supplements I’ll say go for it! Even the healthiest head of hair isn’t worth sacrificing your principles for

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I was vegetarian for two years and yes, my hair definitely suffered. Some people would argue it makes no difference, but from what I went through, it 100% made a difference. I would eat a lot of veggies and fruits and TRY to eat protein, but nuts/eggs don't have as much protein in a portion I could actually eat. You know the drill.. lentils, beans, soy etc.

I have been purposely eating more protein for a bit now and that with LHC, my hair has been improving majorly.

countryhopper
March 31st, 2010, 12:58 AM
I second the suggestion of beans, tofu, soy, soymilk, lentils, etc.

Maybe try eating more refried beans with meals and bean burritos! Swap scrambled eggs off with scrambled tofu.

I've read on some threads of members taking silica and biotin suppliments. so I googled natural food sources of both, and came up with millet, bananas, swiss chard, etc.

I now try to eat steel cut oats several times a week prepared with ground flaxseed, millet, and eaten with milk and a banana.

I also like breakfast smoothies (homemade yogurt, banana, uncooked oats, frozen fruit etc)

Try sneaking protein in what you already eat!

Oh, and check out TVP (textured vegetable protein). It is used as a meat substitute or stretcher. I like to prepare it as if it were fish ceviche style (lime juice, chopped hot pepper, onion, tomato, cilantro) and eat it on a tostada! YUM!!

jera
March 31st, 2010, 01:14 AM
Try a liquid amino acid complex. They come as softgels. It defintiely helps vegetarians to get more quality protein into their diets. Also, as a vegetarian have your ferritin levels checked. Low iron can make hair dull, brittle and thin. :)

Vermelha
March 31st, 2010, 03:59 AM
Well for 3 years now, I have tried everything on this forum and I still have pretty bad hair. Very thin and dried out looking. The only thing I can think of is that I am a vegetarian. I do eat eggs and dairy, but perhaps I'm not getting enough protein? Has anyone taken protein supplements and seen an improvement in their locks? BTW all medical issues aside from this factor have been explored and found not to be an issue.

I was a vegetarian for three years—actually when I started my journey—and I thought my hair would grow for the better as well as lose weight and be healthier.

It grew, but I wasn't aware how slowly and thin it was growing in until I compared my hair to other women who were on their journeys who weren't vegetarian. I was surprised how they were jumping from APL to BSL and beyond so quickly (at least to me). I was stuck at APL for at least a year.

Then, I decided to stop being a vegetarian about a few months ago. True, it's a good healthy and lean lifestyle, but it was no longer practical for me at the expense of my hair and overall appearance. My muscle tone went away and I was nothing but flab. My edges were thinning and I had to do countless protein treatments and take supplements to counteract that. I took whey protein to make up for the lack of amino acids, but I knew that I couldn't live my life taking a protein supplement twice a day when I could just eat lean meats like turkey and chicken in combination with protein-rich legumes.

Now that I am no longer vegetarian, my hair is growing thicker and is darker/richer than before. My muscle is back (thank goodness), I look better and I feel a lot healthier with more energy. My hair sheds much less and my hairline is filling in. And I'm finally getting over the BSL hump. I don't eat meat at every meal, but I try to get 1-2 servings a day (I'm still getting used to eating meat). I usually resort to my lentils and rice for a good protein-rich meal, but I don't think being vegetarian helped my hair growing journey very much. In fact, I think it was detrimental for me.

I'm not saying for you to change your lifestyle, but you're going to need to eat quite a bit of food a day to make up for your protein needs. That was my problem because, while I was trying to eat more protein-rich vegetarian meals to make up for my lack of protein, I got fat instead.

I'll say this; make sure that you do get lots of proteins, which a whey protein blend once a day can help do that, but only a little bit. You will also need B-Vitamin supplements because the only adequate source is meat. Iron is also important for vegetarians.

elina333
March 31st, 2010, 04:25 AM
Lack of protein is definitely going to affect your hair! Make sure you get enough, or your hair wont grow properly. If you work out, its even more crucial. All the nutrition first goes out to your organs and muscles and then hair and nails get whats left... So be sure there is something left! ;)

Protein supplements are good and also have you tried quorn? Tofu is also great. Good luck :pegasus:

tiare_petal
March 31st, 2010, 04:34 AM
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/Vegetarian.htm

marla
March 31st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Alright, I picked up some whey protein powder. One scoop is 18 grams. I'm going to do one scoop a day and I will report back in a few months. I'm serious when I say I have investigated everything else!

dropinthebucket
March 31st, 2010, 01:46 PM
I have been vegetarian for four years. My hair was growing slowly, and thinning. My nails also got soft, weak, and thin, and started to split up to the nail bed. Further issues: muscle pain, lack of muscle definition, migraines, hormonal imbalances. My lips also started to split at the corners.

I was NOT willing to give up being vegetarian. A good friend of mine works for an agricultural research company that monitors "the factory farm" system - 'nuff said. I also can't eat eggs, soy, tofu, or beans, though, because of digestive issues. That left me with nuts and some dairy. Finally, I bit the bullet and started mixing up whey protein shakes, twice a day. I have new energy, my hair is finally growing and thickening again, and the bodybuilding routine i started is finally paying off with some muscle definition. Actually, it was on a bodybuilding site that i read about lack of protein and all its side effects and realized what the problem was. There are lots of good brands of protein supplement out there, if you decide on this route. Good luck!

starlights
March 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM
i'd disagree about eggs being bad for hair... ive since read more research has gone into it and found eggs are actually good for people... and of course a great source of protein :)
however everything is good in moderation as with most foods !

yellowchariot
March 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Alright, I picked up some whey protein powder. One scoop is 18 grams. I'm going to do one scoop a day and I will report back in a few months. I'm serious when I say I have investigated everything else!

marla, I was going to suggest that you look into a Soy or Whey protein shakes. 18g of protein is a great serving size. Since I go to the gym every day, I usually TRY to take in 1 gram per pound of body weight that I am. I'm around 160'ish.

I'm a carnivore, so I generally consume about 130-160 grams per day :D. I get my protein through various sources of meat, but I like to include protein shakes, due to the various BCAA. My hair grows like a weed :thumbsup:

marikamt
March 31st, 2010, 05:36 PM
I am not vegetarian, but see a huge difference in my hair (growth especially) based on my protein intake... as many stated above, there are tons of vegetarian protein sources available.... aim for .5--1.0 gram per lb of body weight and see what happens........

my2cats1
March 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
In addition to protein, you may consider a supplement with Omega 3, 6, and 9 Fatty Acids. These are the "good" fats that most people's diets are extremely low in. You can find all three types of fatty acids in one supplement. For example, I take a supplement with Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, and Borage Oil in one softgel. It has really made a huge difference in my hair, skin, and nails! Also look at food sources -- almonds and salmon are good sources.

marla
March 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM
In addition to protein, you may consider a supplement with Omega 3, 6, and 9 Fatty Acids. These are the "good" fats that most people's diets are extremely low in. You can find all three types of fatty acids in one supplement. For example, I take a supplement with Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, and Borage Oil in one softgel. It has really made a huge difference in my hair, skin, and nails! Also look at food sources -- almonds and salmon are good sources.

I already do take the Omegas so I'm good with that.

I just counted my current protein grams per day based on my diet and it averages out to about 28 grams and based on my weight and activity level I should be at 77 :disbelief !!

I am starting this protein program immediately!

lhangel9
March 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM
This is a great topic! I too have been consuming much more protein. My hair and nails were getting extremely thin, dry and brittle. I consumed eggs everyday for a solid month. Afterwards, I began to have protein shakes one to two times per day. All of my nails have grown back and are very long and strong. My hair is much stronger. I'm still working on getting it thicker and it is picking up the pace at growing. Although I had eaten a lot of eggs, I made sure that I drank tons of water per day as well to try and flush any excess cholesterol out of me and it worked. I have no cholesterol problems and my hair just keeps growing. You have to experiment and see what's best for you. I think I've found my routine. However, I still have a long way to go to reach my goal.

Vermelha
April 1st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Aren't protein shakes amazing? They are my holy grail. Though I don't take them daily, I only take them when I lift weights 4 days a week, my hair is still thriving.

Also, for those who aren't vegetarian, turkey and tuna are two very protein-dense meats. Lentils are an amazing source of protein too!

LunarAurora
April 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM
This thread makes me realize that i may drink protein shakes too, for a short time first (in order to see if my problems are due to a lack of protein or not). I loose a lot of hairs and it is thinning since last month ; i am vegetarian since 9 months, it may be linked although i take care of having a healthy diet

Xepher
April 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Well, I know I'm not going to be able to keep it up religiously, but as of today I've dug back into my huge container of whey protein! Sadly I have a similar situation to the OP... I've been here for about two years, but my hair has seemingly only gotten worse in quality, even though I'm healthy and I baby it. Its so dry and fluffy, and its thinner. Hopefully taking this protein shake will add some bulk to my awful hair.

One scoop of protein is about 38g I think. I'm not very active but I might be going back to the gym for a month starting this weekend, should I drink more or is one scoop a day enough for me?

MAO
April 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I'm not saying for you to change your lifestyle, but you're going to need to eat quite a bit of food a day to make up for your protein needs. That was my problem because, while I was trying to eat more protein-rich vegetarian meals to make up for my lack of protein, I got fat instead.
You will also need B-Vitamin supplements because the only adequate source is meat. Iron is also important for vegetarians.

I agree with this! I think a lot of people don't get as much protein as they need. I was veggie for a little over a year. I ate A LOT of beans, nuts, soy yogurt, soy milk and tofu. I thought I was getting plenty of protein. Well I have gone back to eating meat and eggs as of 2 weeks ago and as soon as Sunday night -(monthly visitor) I realized I must have been iron deficient. And as Vermelha says, I actually managed to gain weight even though I assumed my diet was really healthy. I have lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks already!

It's too soon for me to tell yet what effect it is having on my hair. But I have to say, I did Atkins with my DH for a little over a month at the beginning of last year and I can tell you I had a lot of hair growth during that time! My hair is most definitely not growing as fast as it was at the same time last year.

Ksenia
April 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Well I'm vegan (except honey) and have been vegetarian for half my life, so you can be veggie and have long hair, you just need to not have a typical North American diet. I eat a lot of quinoa - it's a grain which is a complete protein, very nutrient-dense, cook it like steel-cut oatmeal after rinsing it well to get rid of the bitter coating. Make as much as you can from scratch, that way you get fewer fillers and more nutrients per volume. I also eat a lot of organic veggies, and avoid preservatives, especially in soy products. I actually had to quit soy because too much of it can prevent your body from absorbing iron, especially if you drink a lot of tea or have heavily fluoridated water, so I got myself a soymilk maker and make almond, hazelnut and quinoa milks now. Dried beans are also slightly better for you than canned, so I always keep both on hand. Learn how to use strange ingredients that may not be in the average omnivore's pantry - aramanth, wild rices, millet, quinoa, various nuts and seeds, &c.

If you look at the nutrients which are conducive to healthy hair, you'll find that most of them are vegan friendly anyway, it's just the B-vitamins that you need to go out of your way to find. For that, I take a liquid B-complex supplement (your body absorbs only about 20% of it in pill form). Find a shop that sells food in bulk, that's the cheapest way to get unprocessed foods for a good price. I'm not sure where the OP is from, but Canada (outside of Quebec) has Bulk Barn, which has good bulk at affordable prices.

But most importantly, listen to your body. If you crave hamburgers, eat them. If the thought of chicken repulses you, don't eat it. If you are relatively healthy and not eating a lot of foods with artificial preservatives and hormones, your body will tell you what it wants. Some people are healthier as vegans, others are healthier as omnivores. If your body is designed to run on a vegetarian diet, you will crave vegetarian foods.

marla
April 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
One scoop of protein is about 38g I think. I'm not very active but I might be going back to the gym for a month starting this weekend, should I drink more or is one scoop a day enough for me?

You found a product where one scoop is 38 grams? That's great. Mine only has 18 grams. I've decided to do it twice a day, adding 36 grams a day and see what happens. It will add about 200 calories a day to my diet so I'm going to have to watch myself in other areas but we'll see.

Xepher
April 1st, 2010, 09:56 PM
You found a product where one scoop is 38 grams? That's great. Mine only has 18 grams. I've decided to do it twice a day, adding 36 grams a day and see what happens. It will add about 200 calories a day to my diet so I'm going to have to watch myself in other areas but we'll see.

Okay, so I was a bit off :o Its 32g per scoop, which I still think is pretty good! Bit more than a scoop and I get a decent serving.

Catladyintown
April 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM
I have been taking Ormas green for 3 weeks now. I have never felt better. Here is a link.HTH:)
http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/ormus-greens.html

Our goal at SunWarrior is to transform the health of the plane one warrior at a time. We started with our award winning raw vegan superfood protein, the ultimate anti-aging protein designed for athletes, body builders, and health enthusiasts who want to lose fat, build muscle mass and be extremely healthy and fit.

Now, we have discovered the highest vibration greens product in the world! Sunwarrior Ormus SuperGreens is grown organically in a pristine ancient sea bed located in a volcanic region of Utah and Arizona. The soil is loaded with platinum, gold, silver and ormus trace minerals that give the greens a magnetic property.

Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens is grown and produced in America.
Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens is grown in a pristine ancient sea bed in a volcanic region of Utah and Arizona. The soil is loaded with platinum, gold, silver, and ORMUS trace minerals giving the greens a magnetic property which increases the vibration and frequency of those who consume it.
Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens are certified 100% organic, non-GMO, & gluten free!
Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens are the best tasting greens on the planet!
Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens uses a pattented cold-drying process which protects the heat-sensitive bioactive constituents and phyto-nutrients, thereby making a superior raw green super food drink that is both alive and bio-available.
Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens is produced using an eco-friendly process having a low carbon footprint and is thereby much easier on the environment. Additionally, the special bag guarantees the highest level of freshness obtainable. We researched amber glass, along with x-raying each bottle for safety, but found the bag we came up with to be the most effective.

myotislucifugus
April 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Eggs are plentiful in protein, they actually absorb about 100% of the complete proteins. But just don't eat too many eggs, they aren't that good for people's hearts. Especially cholesterol. 1 egg a day is already bad, mainly for women.

Good News! The studies that originally published this aren't accurate anymore! 1-2 eggs a day is fine, regardless of gender/race. New studies (2009) have disproved this older belief. :cheese: I like eggs, so this makes me really happy...:D

dropinthebucket
April 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah, the soy protein can definitely be a problem - i had to switch to whey for protein shakes. The soy isoflavones can interfere with the body's natural estrogen receptors, subsituting a phytoestrogen instead. I think the jury is still out on the soy isoflavones even as menopausal treatment. The soy definitely messed with me, so i went whey.

Purdy Bear
April 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I would not only try adding protein to your diet but also from different sources (ie soy, nuts, seeds, lentils etc). Sometimes we get plenty of one type but infact need a different type.

Iv known a few vegetarians in my time and none have complained about their hair, however, their skin does have a very pale hue.

Kaijah
April 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
I just wanted to add another vouch for protein deficiency causing huuuuge problems in every physical area (for me, at least). I wasn't vegan, I just didn't take very good care of myself for a long while. Protein from food is best, but I had problems being able to stomach enough food in one day to meet what I should have had. Protein shakes (powder mixed into fruit smoothie-things is pretty yummy) and an occasional power bar helped me with that.

Also, if you want to obsessively track your intake/caloric burn, www.sparkpeople.com has a couple really awesome food/exercise trackers. (It's geared as a weight loss site, but there are options for maintaining your current weight. You have to make an account I think, but it's free and you can opt out of any email updates.) It gives of pretty good suggested range for calories/fat/protein/carbs based on your activity levels. It was really helpful in getting me to straighten out and eat properly, lol.

marla
April 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks everyone, well I have been on an additional 36 grams of protein daily via the protein shakes for about a week and I can say that my roots are suddenly showing (I haven't had to do touch-up for about 2 months until I started this) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this may be a significant step for me. I also find that the shakes give me additional energy and make my workouts a lot easier!

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Look for good sources of essential fatty acids, too - extra virgin olive oil and so forth, raw nuts.

lunagoose
April 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I've been a vegetarian for 4-5 years. I eat nuts (almonds, cashew or some other type) every day-they are rich in protein and iron. In addition, I eat spinach (iron and Vit. A), whole wheat products & grains and beans of all kinds, dark chocolate (iron &magnesium) as well as soy products and fruit, eggs (rarely) and dairy. I haven't experienced any thinning of my hair.

Make sure you eat healthy and supplement the lack of meat with soy, eggs and beans.

Lunnafindel
April 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I've been vegetarian for 3 years and hadn't really noticed anything change - until I saw this thread. Now I'm thinking... maybe that's why my hair isn't growing anymore, that's why it seems to be dry & brittle and less shiny, and far more importantly, that's why I'm constantly tired for no reason. I'm going to go on a mad hunt for protein power (I mean powder...hehe, fitting typo) tomorrow, and maybe it will solve all my problems!

Speckla
April 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I have been a vegetarian for almost 5 years - vegan in the beginning - and I experienced hair loss and a lot of other symptoms that were mostly related to vitamin b deficiences. They improved after I added eggs and a little dairy back and starting taking a good b complex. I eat soy, some nuts, and beans. No problems.

marla
April 7th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I've been vegetarian for 3 years and hadn't really noticed anything change - until I saw this thread. Now I'm thinking... maybe that's why my hair isn't growing anymore, that's why it seems to be dry & brittle and less shiny, and far more importantly, that's why I'm constantly tired for no reason. I'm going to go on a mad hunt for protein power (I mean powder...hehe, fitting typo) tomorrow, and maybe it will solve all my problems!

I never considered that being vegetarian could lead to protein deficiency, as I figured as long as I'm eating cheese, eggs, nuts, etc, I'm ok, until I noticed the vast different in protein gram amounts between meat and other sources.