PDA

View Full Version : problems with hair after sleeping

mommy2one05
May 4th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I frequently have this problem and am hoping to find ways to either prevent it at night or get rid of it in the morning. When I wash my hair afterwards I use detangler and a wide tooth comb to comb it and get out tangles (it is much easier to do this when wet vs. if I let it dry because then the tangles are worse) so after I comb it I normally let it hang loose to dry and then it it mostly straight except for like an s wave around my neck area sometimes and then it looks fairly decent but after even the first night and if I try to stretch my washings out more each night thereafter my hairs gets this stringy or lumpy or chucks of infrequent waves and I guess these are from laying on my hair in bed. So does anybody have any help to offer me ?

mommy2one05
May 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I thought about washing my hair every day but that is time consuming and isn't that harsh on your hair or is that just a myth?

Shanarana
May 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
You can try twisting your hair and putting it up in a high bun. Sleeping with hair loose my be the culprit as we lay on it and it bends or folds under our head.

spidermom
May 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Braid it or put it in a high bun or top-of-head ponytail to sleep, only don't put the hair-tie on too tight or you'll get that ponytail dent.

mommy2one05
May 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
my hair likes to accept shapes too easy, so like a braid causes major braid waves and the ponytail causes the indent
I guess I could try a loose high bun and see what that does...would like the bee butt scrunchie bun maybe work

wintersun99
May 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM

mommy2one05
May 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
what about sleeping with a buff on your head, or a silk headpiece?

sorry to be stupid here, but what is a buff or silk headpiece? I am not sure what those are . Do you have a pic or link of them and where do you find them?

Shanarana
May 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
my hair likes to accept shapes too easy, so like a braid causes major braid waves and the ponytail causes the indent
I guess I could try a loose high bun and see what that does...would like the bee butt scrunchie bun maybe work

If you twist your hair and wrap it into a bun and secure it with a scrunchie, that will help. I will look straighter in the morning without the waves of braids.

AmandaPanda
May 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
sleep with your hair over the pillow? Or maybe you could just wet your hair more often

doodlesmart
May 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Perhaps just don't worry about it, and then spritz the offending hair in the morning and comb it straight again. I have no idea what hair type you are, but you are unlikely to achieve perfectly stick straight hair every day unless you do something for it everyday.

mommy2one05
May 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
sleep with your hair over the pillow? Or maybe you could just wet your hair more often

thanks! I know sleeping with hair over pillow wouldnt work because I move all night long, never sleep in one spot
by wetting hair more often do you mean by washing or misting? Are there any bad effects from this, would it be drying to my hair. If I used a mist of water and conditioner would it help moisturize my hair?

doodlesmart
May 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
thanks! I know sleeping with hair over pillow wouldnt work because I move all night long, never sleep in one spot
by wetting hair more often do you mean by washing or misting? Are there any bad effects from this, would it be drying to my hair. If I used a mist of water and conditioner would it help moisturize my hair?

Yup, many people here mist on a regular basis (myself included). Check this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1064) out for ideas of what you could put in your mister.

wintersun99
May 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Nat242
May 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM
A silk or satin pillow is a great idea. Another idea is to bring your hair over one shoulder, and lightly secure it with a scrunchie or soft head band under your ear (if you secure the pony at the nape of your neck you may find it uncomfortable to sleep on). I secure it again mid-way down the length with another scrunchie or soft head band. Because your hair is so long, you might need to add a third.

Wearing this style to bed helps prevent knots, it's pretty comfortable (I'm a restless sleeper too), and it doesn't make hair wavy. If you use big, soft scrunchies, and wrap them gently, you don't get weird kinks either.

Hope that helps!

-- Natalie

Islandgrrl
May 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Bun + scrunchie and then if it's not straight enough for you in the morning, mist it and comb through gently.

jera
May 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Nat is absolutely right. Consider trying the silk or satin pillowcase route. I cuts down on bed head woes and they can be purchased cheap online. ;)

mommy2one05
May 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
thanks for all the ideas...they were all greatly appreciated
I actually got a cheap scrap of silk fabric at a local retail store so I am gonna try to sew a silk pillowcase

AmandaPanda
May 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM

I don't sleep in one spot either, but when I turn I just flip my hair so I'm not laying on it.

I didn't mean washing, since you mentioned washing less frequently. I mean just wetting it with water completely while in the shower or just misting.

Putting water in your hair can't possibly make it dry

rhosyn_du
May 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Another thing to consider is the possibility that your hair isn't particularly naturally straight at all, and that the straightness you're seeing is a result of the detangler and wet combing. What you're describing sounds very much like the issues I had with my hair back when I assumed it was straight (I also combed with with a detangling leave-in). Once I realized my hair was wavy and started treating it like wavy hair, I stopped getting the non-wash-day pulled-straight-but-trying-to-reform-the-natural-wave-pattern weirdness. Do you know if your hair dries straight when you don't comb wet or use any leave-ins?

mommy2one05
May 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
ok thanks amandapanda
alot of the hair stuff still confuses me so I didnt wanna do something like wetting my hair alot if it was not good for it, jusy trying to be careful

mommy2one05
May 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Another thing to consider is the possibility that your hair isn't particularly naturally straight at all, and that the straightness you're seeing is a result of the detangler and wet combing. What you're describing sounds very much like the issues I had with my hair back when I assumed it was straight (I also combed with with a detangling leave-in). Once I realized my hair was wavy and started treating it like wavy hair, I stopped getting the non-wash-day pulled-straight-but-trying-to-reform-the-natural-wave-pattern weirdness. Do you know if your hair dries straight when you don't comb wet or use any leave-ins?

no i do not know for sure, I guess now that the weather is getting warmer I need to wash my hair and not comb or touch after and go outside so it will dry quick instead of taking hours to dry and then after i take a pic I can go wet it and detangle like I normally do :) ( I am hopeless)
what do you mean by treating your hair like a wavy?

Pierre
May 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I wear a Buff at night, and the hair at the back of my head, which used to be full of splits, seems to be getting thicker. It's a cylinder of fabric just big enough to encase my head, but when sleeping, I gather it under my chin and cover the wad of hair, at the top of my head, with the other side. You can get them from buff.es or buffusa.com.

I have three Buffs: the regular one for sleeping, the polar for winter, and the reflector for walking at night.

rhosyn_du
May 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM
what do you mean by treating your hair like a wavy?

Mostly not expecting it to act like straight hair and not trying to keep it straight when it started to wave, but also looking at the kinds of things that a lot of wavy-haired members here found useful and trying them out for myself. Some of them worked really well (like going no-cones and only detangling dry or with conditioner in my hair) and some didn't (misting is not for me), but identifying my waviness really helped me figure out which things were more likely to work and would be good to experiment with.

Dianyla
May 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Without knowing your hair type, it's hard to give useful suggestions. What works for curly haired folks may not work for straighties, and vice versa.

Have you typed your hair yet?

ColoradoDreamer
May 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
When I had hair to my waist (as a teen), I used to put my hair into a high (as in top of the head), loose ponytail. To make it loose, I'd put a ponytail holder or scrunchie on without making a second loop in it. Then I'd roll the ponytail in large rollers. This was back in the 70's, so I used the old brush rollers, biggest I could find, but took the brush part out and just used the outer part. It usually took about 4 rollers for my hair. I suppose more would give more waves/curl.

In the morning, I'd take my hair down and brush it out - usually by bending forward and brushing over my head - and then let it fall where it wanted to when I stood up.

I usually wore my hair down back then, with an occasional low ponytail or small chignon at the nape of my neck. Elaborate updos weren't in style then, and I was kind of a hair idiot back then too (still am, to some extent, but I'm learning!).

This is the best thing I've found for wearing my hair for sleep. Right now, my hair just isn't long enough for the rolled high ponytail, so I'm still experimenting.

Anyway, I hope this helps.