PDA

View Full Version : "Braids should be against the head"

Keildra
March 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have a conundrum.
I was watching Shear Genius the other day because I felt like yelling at the TV for a hour. One of the stylists had to modernize this hairstyle
http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medias/03/21/43/032143_ph1.jpg
The stylist chose the braid the front part and the braid poofed away from the head a little bit. One of the judges said that a major flaw with the stylist's style was, and I quote, that "Braids should be against the head"
:ponder:I don't quite understand this, I know I'm not fashion forward but when did poofed out braids become a fashion no-no. I also didn't quite understand the statement because to me the only braids that are against the head are the french type braids.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this situation for me.:D

Kiraela
March 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Okay, yeah. I got nothin' on that one. That makes no sense at all! Expecially since my french braids even end up poofy half the time, haha.

2peasinapod
March 30th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I think the picture is a lovely style. I don't understand the judges either.

Juliannaissance
That stylist was probably just an idiot that thinks only what his/her hair opinions matter. Just because it doesn't look fashion enough doesn't mean it doesn't look good.:rolleyes:

Wavelength
Honestly, I think sometimes so-called "experts" just make some of this stuff up because it sounds good. Then it gets repeated by other people and before you know it, we have yet another fashion "rule" that's completely pointless and random.

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Personally, I think the original hairstyle is modern enough and would suit many outfits :)

melrose1985
March 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
The way i took that whole thing was that the braids the stylist did looked like horns at first.

That show is fun to watch though.

rachelily
March 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I wonder if the judge is one of those "by the book" type of people that learned it one way and will forever think you can't do it any other way.

jera
March 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Honestly, I think sometimes so-called "experts" just make some of this stuff up because it sounds good. Then it gets repeated by other people and before you know it, we have yet another fashion "rule" that's completely pointless and random.

I agree. Sometimes I think fashion is nothing more than a bunch of people making money by making women look as ridiculous as possible. :poot:

JenniferNoel
March 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Fashion = impractical.
I only purchase make-up for art reasons and clothes that I believe represent me as a person.
Seriously, as long as my hair is comfortable and out of the way, I'm happy.

Hana
March 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
BEAUTY IS SUBJECTIVE.

just because one person says it should be against the head, doesnt mean the rest of us cant go against the grain.

guh.

it whats makes us as humans so interesting and varied and *blah blah natural selection blah blah* ! its just a braid, for goodness sakes. get over it.

( / rant)

EDIT - and now i'm going to stop being angry, haha! :D

viking_quest
March 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
The way i took that whole thing was that the braids the stylist did looked like horns at first.

That show is fun to watch though.

That's what I got as well. The hairstyle looked much better to me when the braids weren't sticking out. It 'flowed'(?) more after she pinned them down.

MandyBeth
March 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I figured if the rest of me isn't in style, why should my hair be? My braids fluff up on me, no matter what I do.

Capybara
March 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Many people want volume in the front these days :o

I have many friends who insist upon pinning their hair up to make a "pouf" in the front before french braiding it. I think it can look attractive either way (:

Keildra
March 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
That's what I got as well. The hairstyle looked much better to me when the braids weren't sticking out. It 'flowed'(?) more after she pinned them down.
I don't think the style was the greatest it was just what the judge said that got me.

missmandy
March 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Ah, Shear Genius.... I kind of hate that show.

curlylocks85
March 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Is there a picture of the "modern version"?

Fiferstone
March 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Ahh, the stylist/judge who made that deathless comment is Jonathan Antin.

I rest my case :).

That show is an absolute hoot. I recommend reading the Tom and Lorenzo blog for recaps that are more entertaining than the show itself.

Keildra
March 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I looked through30 pages of google and couldn't find a picture of the modernized style

Fiferstone
March 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Keildra:

Google "Project rungay"

Tom and Lorenzo have been blogging about Shear Genius and they have a post that has the "modern" do.

Believe me, it's underwhelming.

Keildra
March 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Here's the picture of the Modernized 'do

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FW86_jO7k_A/S6t7DXItVJI/AAAAAAABoWM/SIOrip8A-Pc/s1600/Shear%2BGenius%2BSeason%2B3%2BEpisode%2B8%2B24.bmp .jpg

vindo
March 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM

What Wavelength said..