PDA

View Full Version : The thing that most improved my growth rate...

Kristin
March 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I am feeling very frustrated. My hair has decided to stall, thereby ruining all my plans of waist-length hair this summer. It has not grown AT ALL this month (in fact, my last measurement was about 1/8" shorter than I was at the beginning of the month). I do not use heat on my hair. I wear it up almost everyday (and certainly at least for a portion of everyday). I take prenatal vitamins, biotin, and MSM. I have been on and off DE. I tried monistat back in January (before he stall) and it did help, but I got lazy and quit. I need a boost before I decide I've reached term and start chopping! So...

What improved your growth rate the most?
(MSM? Biotin? Multi-vitamins? DE? Monistat? Oils? Massage? Trims?)

As of today I myself am back on monistat because it was the only thing that gave me noticeable growth in a matter of days.

halo_tightens
March 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Sometimes the very best thing for growth is to take a little break! I guarantee that if you ignore your hair for, say, three months-- no measuring or fussing over length-- it will be longer.

That doesn't sound very interesting, I guess... but I know that even quick growth can be hard to spot if you're constantly watching for it.

:)

little_cherry
March 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Sometimes the very best thing for growth is to take a little break! I guarantee that if you ignore your hair for, say, three months-- no measuring or fussing over length-- it will be longer.

That doesn't sound very interesting, I guess... but I know that even quick growth can be hard to spot if you're constantly watching for it.

To this I will add this saying:
"A watched pot never boils"

Purdy Bear
March 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM
The hair does go through a normal no grow cycle, its resting, then it will do a growing spurt.

It normally doesnt last very long, I cant remember the exact figures but I think its about 20 days at the most. Then its back to its usual 1/2 inch I think growing a month.

Sorry my memory isnt working today!

redneckprincess
March 30th, 2010, 10:53 AM
what works best for me is BIOTIN and monthly/bi-monthly pictures though compairing month to month dosent really help till you can compaire the new one to one from 3-4 months ago....but waiting that long to take pictures can be hard for some of us impaitient ones!!!

jera
March 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
what works best for me is BIOTIN

This has worked for me too along with MSM. :)

bubbles_87
March 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe some oils that will stimulate your scalp like Rosemary and a daily massage might help.

Sunny_side_up
March 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Not paying my hair that much attention, keeping it up and out the way, eating a well balanced diet, being active and trying my best to get enough rest and relaxation-this one has been difficult!
Happy growing

TigerLily1
March 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Really sorry to ask a newbie question here, but how does keeping one's hair up helps?

JenniferNoel
March 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Really sorry to ask a newbie question here, but how does keeping one's hair up helps?

Keeping hair up reduces breakage; it is less prone to tangle, environmental/mechanical damage/breakage can be prevented.

my2cats1
March 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sometimes I think my protein/veggie powder ("Greens First" drink) and regular exercise helps my growth rate. But I also agree with what was said earlier -- a watched pot never boils. Just take good care of yourself, and try not to think about it for a few months. Natiure will take care of the rest.

Hang in there!

Cailie
March 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I agree with my2cats1 (:

and getting rid of damage, trimming when needed to prevent more damage... accepting one's hair type and not blow drying (etc) to change it

and, most of all, trusting Nature and not fussing too much :)

Arctic_Mama
March 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I can't say I've ever had a stall - even while shedding excessively I still gained good length. The only thing that has SLOWED my hair growth was breastfeeding, I would assume because my body was devoting resources to *ahem* other things.

I eat a healthy, diverse, diet and log my food... lots of veggies, whole grains, fruits, and healthy fats, but a little light on protein sometimes. I take Vitamin D, a B complex, Fish Oil, and Maxi-hair as my daily multi. I drink no caffeine and minimal dairy - water water water all day long.

My hair grows between .5 and .75 inches per month, it seems.

:shrug:

Rhiannon7
March 31st, 2010, 03:25 AM
What worked the best for me was Benign neglect. i moisturized and gave it all it demanded but basically kept it braided or bunned for over 6 months, overloaded on moisture and other protective things but just ignored measuring for a few months and it worked. sometimes hair stalls it's growth, there is not much you can do but be patient, love your hair and pamper it alot, but besides that ignore it by bunning or braiding.

nycstar
March 31st, 2010, 03:32 AM
What worked the best for me was Benign neglect. i moisturized and gave it all it demanded but basically kept it braided or bunned for over 6 months, overloaded on moisture and other protective things but just ignored measuring for a few months and it worked. sometimes hair stalls it's growth, there is not much you can do but be patient, love your hair and pamper it alot, but besides that ignore it by bunning or braiding.

This is definitely what worked for me. Ignoring your hair (while caring for it, moisturizing, vitamins, good diet) will give you results. I can't stand watching a potted plant grow! You'll see results soon enough. BTW, I read some great advice on the threads in terms of what types of vitamins people are taking (thank you). :D

Karala
March 31st, 2010, 05:40 AM

I'm a noobie too but I would say keeping your hair up helps minimize breakage on the lenght and ends, which is sometimes conducive to a stall in growth (when your hair's lenght breaks off faster than the roots grow)...

...ok, now I see your question's already been answered but I'll add this: by keeping your hair up and forgetting about it, you'll avoid stressing over growth too much, and since stress is bad for hair growth... ;)

hmmm
March 31st, 2010, 05:50 AM
What makes my hair grow faster:

Eating my vegetables
(and eggs and nuts and fruits)
Putting it up so it's out of the way
Exercise
Oils and herb washes

But it'll never grow fast enough. Just try and forget about it for a while. It's rather unnatural for hair to not grow, it's what it's supposed to do. (Or hair cutting salons wouldn't exist.)

SpinDance
March 31st, 2010, 06:09 AM
It occurs to me that if your hair is in a period of rest that it probably needs it and it may weaken it if you do things to try to force growth. Sort of like a weak spot in wool if the sheep has been stressed. No idea if there is any correlation, of course.

I'll vote for Benign Neglect. Take good care of it, but put it up and let it do it's thing.

starlights
March 31st, 2010, 05:22 PM

i totally agree... stop measuring for now... and continue looking after your hair, having regular s &D, and i found also oiling helped my hair alot, as well as braiding/ bunning to get to waist. you will get there, have faith! :)

jennyjukes
April 1st, 2010, 05:32 AM
exercise and vitamins for me:)
only started 2-3 weeks ago and already seeing a difference

Dreams_in_Pink
April 1st, 2010, 05:38 AM
I started measuring last month. Next week, when i measured, i realized it grew 1/2 inch in a week!! After this CRAZY result, i decided to measure every month.

I got lazy and measured it two months later. Guess what? i got the same result which is 1/2 inch!!! That's when i decided to stop measuring it :D

The thing that most improves your growth rate is benign neglect. Period. :D

IcarusBride
April 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
Expecting to go from Bob in December 2009 to Waist in Summer 2010, approx 6 months for ~20 inches(?) of growth, is probably unreasonable. Putting a lot of pressure on yourself might end up being detrimental to your goal. It's commonly held that stress increases shedding.
In any case, good luck with your long hair quest!
For me, I have only been at LHC 1 month, and in this 1 month I've made quite a few changes: multi-vitamin, silica (horsetail), 1mg biotin, and oiling (mostly coconut), S&D and wearing my hair up. I already was WO for 6 months before joining LHC. My hair got much healthier since I went WO and even more healthier (yay for horrible english) since I joined LHC and made the above changes. However I have to say my hair still sheds at a veeery high rate. I'm hoping to work up to 3mg a day of Biotin and I'm hoping that will stop shedding. I haven't experienced any side effects (acne and headaches) so I hope 3mg wouldn't make me have them either...

KittyLost
April 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
What worked best for me during a stall period was just leaving it alone and taking a multi-vitamin with a skin, hair and nail food supplement with a banana each morning before breakfast.
Hope this helps!