PDA

View Full Version : Hair damage question

psycho
March 30th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I got this question on one of my healthy hair articles, and wasn't entirely sure what to answer. My knee-jerk reaction is that this could cause some damage, but my opinion is mostly related to hair rubbing against acrylic-containing fabrics, whereas in this case it sounds like it wouldn't be. In any case, it does seem that something that wouldn't rub would certainly be better for the hair than sun and dust/smoke. Thoughts?

Original question:

Hi, do caps/hats containing acrylic cause hair damage/fall?
I cycle in relatively dusty/smoky environs and would like to protect my hair from that. I've bought these Reebok skull caps to wear while cycling. However, am hesitant to wear them because of acrylic content in the fabric. content: 70-80%.

FrannyG
March 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
My response would be to get a discount silk bandanna. They can be found at all sorts of markets and on the internet at very reasonable prices and can be a great head covering. Silk seems to be very kind to hair.

I think that some acrylic weaves are definitely damaging to hair (speaking from experience here).

Mae
March 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I think putting hair in a skull cap would be better than sun/dust damage. Skull caps are pretty tight, and I don't think the hair would move around enough in them to cause too much rubbing damage.

bumblebums
March 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
If you are really worried, you can sew a silk liner for the hat. I agree with Mae that sun and dust (and also wind!) is probably more damaging than a hat.

Another thing: it's hard to keep a loose hat on your head when you are on a bike, but I think loose hats are less damaging for your hair than a tight cap. Maybe some kind of a beret or pageboy cap would be a good compromise?

Purdy Bear
March 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Iv got lots of scarves and hats and Iv found the following:

1. Straw makes the head itch, and Im pretty sure may cause hair damage.

2. Some scarves are very rough to the hands and Id stay away from those, as they do make the head itch, and can be a bit hot.

3. Watch how tight you tie the scarf or have the hat, as if its too tight it will cause headaches, and put undue pressure on the head.

4. If you can buy hats that are a little bit bigger then you need, this means you dont have to worry about nos 3, plus you can wear hair in different styles underneath. Iv got some brilliant hats off Ebay, and they do ones in different sizes very cheaply.

jera
March 30th, 2010, 03:02 PM
If you are really worried, you can sew a silk liner for the hat. I agree with Mae that sun and dust (and also wind!) is probably more damaging than a hat.

Another thing: it's hard to keep a loose hat on your head when you are on a bike, but I think loose hats are less damaging for your hair than a tight cap. Maybe some kind of a beret or pageboy cap would be a good compromise?

I think a silk liner sewn into a knit scull cap would cause the cap to slip off, No? :confused: I've also been told that wearing hats of any kind frequently can cause hair loss, but don't know if that's true.

bumblebums
March 30th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I think a silk liner sewn into a knit scull cap would cause the cap to slip off, No? :confused: I've also been told that wearing hats of any kind frequently can cause hair loss, but don't know if that's true.

I don't think a silk liner will make a hat come off all by itself, but it might depend on the hat.

As far as hats and hair loss, I think it's a myth perpetuated by men who are hoping to stave off male pattern baldness. It's got to be bogus for two reasons: (i) not wearing hats doesn't stop hair loss; just ask any guy you know who has lost all his hair... and (ii) women in conservative Judeo-Christian societies are required to cover their heads, and they do not lose their hair either. Mennonite and Amish women wear caps over their hair--no hair loss. European women before mid-20th century also wore hats all the time, and I don't think they would have kept it up if hair loss was a serious problem.