PDA

View Full Version : How dumb can hairdressers get?

venividibxtchy
March 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I gotta say -- I had never, ever experienced a "salon horror" until this past Saturday. I've had my hair not quite come out the way I wanted, or a little too much taken off, and so on, but it was always passable and I never got too worked up about it. It was always at this one salon that I trusted to trim and occasionally layer my hair.

But this time, it is not the cut that I am worried about (it was meh, but at least my hair's still somewhat long) -- it is the ignorance of the licensed hairstylists at the salon who have been working in the business for many years. I never expected them to have LHC knowledge, but they pretty much appalled me with stupidity.

I presented my hair before a wedding, and I guess I had some knots at the nape of my neck that I hadn't noticed in the shower earlier. They were much worse than I imagined (I have a LOT of hair), so there were two girls working on getting them out. One of them was miffed at the whole thing, and after getting fed up of working through it, went to grab a paddle brush to just shove through the knot, before my eyes nearly fell out of my head. I gave my Mother the look of death. I said, "Uh, I don't like to use a brush in my hair when it's wet, if you don't mind", and she gave me a stern look of disapproval (I could see her thinking, well, this is why you have knots in your hair), but she listened. The other girl apparently didn't get the memo, because when she grabbed a brush to put into my hair, the other one said, "She doesn't want a brush in her hair when it's wet". They both looked at me like I had just said snakes regularly crawl out of my ears.

Shouldn't they have learned this in haircare 101? And it would've been one thing to run a paddle brush through my hair when it's damp and already detangled, but to ram it right through a huge knot in wet hair? What were they thinking? I guess they figured I had "hair to spare" to chop off if they ruin it.

They both went on to tell me to use conditioner, to comb my hair before a shower (gee, thanks), and make me feel like a messy dolt. I guess I'm to blame for having huge knots, but my hair really loves to twist on itself when I sleep with a bun or braid in. If an updo or french braid become loose at all, I get horrible nape knots that require globs of conditioner and twenty minutes to take out.

My hairdresser told me, "It probably knots up because it's long". Yeah, that must be it.

I guess I'm just looking to commiserate on insipid hairdressers.

Fethenwen
March 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Ugh! That must have been so annoying! I have also experienced a few times hairdressers that brush my hair that it feels like they are trying to rip my head off just for having long hair :D

Nowadays I ask them if I can brush out my hair myself.

FrannyG
March 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM
My many years of experience with hairdressers has been 99% positive, but I know that not all hairstylists are created equal.

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. If you ever go to a salon again, you might want to find someone who is experienced with long hair. Have a chat with him or her beforehand. :blossom:

Addy
March 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM
They must have been in lala land when their instructor at school went over how brushes rip and break wet hair. :rolleyes:

That or they just don't care because they're gonna whap it all off anyways! :D

Atalanta
March 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I could live for a thousand years and not understand how people can be so rude to near strangers.

It's not like your blind; you can see glares.

grmn-rpnzl
March 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I bet the hairdressers were fantasing the thought of cutting off all of your hair too!!!!

AgnesONutter
March 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM
My sister has very thick hair that knots just if you look at it. Or rather, not knots, it becomes like fleece! Hairdressers have often suggested she should keep it short to avoid this problem, but really, unless she cuts it into a pixie cut it will tangle so just ignore those snide comments. Not everyone can have well behaved hair. :)

As for the hairdressers taking a brush to your wet hair...now, it does take almost an hour to detangle my sisters hair and it can be very, very frustrating and I'm often tempted when I help her to just jank those tangles out. Them being two to detangle it...well, might they just have been frustrated?

cindy58
March 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM
As a self-protective measure, I always have my hair absolutely combed out and tangle-free before I enter the salon / begin. I also tip my head down to comb the underside as well where pesky tangles may lurk and form even while your hair is bunned.

I did this too while I was waiting my turn to have my hair braided at a Ren Fest. The braider was surprised and happy with that.

dropinthebucket
March 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Have been thinking about this, and I think maybe hairstyling is like medecine. The prevailing belief is in what's "modern" and with the help of lots of "science" and "scientifically proven" products/pharmacies/procedures. However, this "modern" thinking is really kinda antiquated - equivalent to the medieval doctor with leaches. Allopathic medecine seeks to cure by breaking, ripping, cutting, and introducing poisons into the body - a bit like hair products and brushes, wrongly and too much used. And of course, any poison we put on our hair ends up in our bodies, anyway, when it's absorbed through the skin of the scalp.

True healing is not antiquated/modern, but profoundly ancient, and seeks to maintain the integrity of the whole. There are wonderful naturopaths, and wonderful physicians who practice allopathic medecine but with keen intuition, an open mind, and concern for their patients. There are also wonderful hairdressers who understand and respect the integrity of the hair. However, the prevailing training methods and common advice for stylists may not be in line with this. A stylist has to learn it on his or her own, and is rewarded with a happy, steady clientele! [hey, where did the two cents smiley go?! ... anyway, just my two cents on this, fwiw!]

kitty_did
March 30th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I'm so sorry for your bad experience. I feel blessed for my hairdresser, she's very gentle. I have to travel a bit to get to her, but it's well worth it.

On a unrelated note, Cindy58, I absolutely love your avator !!

-j-
March 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Dropinthebucket, your response was really good! You have a really broad perception about haircare (I myself will become a homoeopath, so I share same kind of thoughts :))

Here in Finland it is also very common that hairdressers mistreat (long) hair. A hairdresser has washed my hair very roughly, vigorously rubbing the scalp and the hair (!) with shampoo, with no detangling before the wash, and afterwards brushed wet hair!
It is really amazing how they can do that!!!

I have also heard from friends about this kind of behavior. The products they use in salons (on customers) aren´t that good either. Silicones to the scalp, poor conditioner to completely wet hair, no leave-in conditioners, etc... I have heard someone brought her own shampoo and conditioner with her to a salon :) And some people wash their hair at home before the appointment because they won´t let a hairdresser do that.

Of course there are some gentle and good hairdressers, too, but I understand they are a minority :(
Nowadays we have more these "eco hairdressers" that use milder treatments for hair, plant based/ herbal dyes (I mean really plant made), cut your hair respecting the hair´s own growing direction and the atmosphere in these salons is more peaceful and warm, than in the regular salons. Hair is not being pulled, least of all when wet! If I ever again go to a hairdresser, it will definitely be an "eco salon".

Kuchen
March 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Some LHCers are hairdressers.

:flowers:

Bianca
March 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
All my friends brush theire hair while it's wet, and my mom does it too. So I dont think it's common knowledge really :D

Forever_Sophie
March 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I love my stylist, and while she listened when I asked her to comb and added that I never brush my hair, she asked me, "Not even when it's wet?" And said something about that's what most people do. Huh. Still, she was VERY polite and cooperative.

Purdy Bear
March 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
On You Tube a hair dresser suggests having a dry cut I think if I ever have hair to trim I'll use that method. My local salon just loves to take off length which hasnt been discussed (one weeks it was 8 inches, and I asked for 1 inch).

Juliannaissance
March 30th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I remember going to the hair salon about a year ago and they were forcefully combing my hair wet, it hurt so badly that the next day when I took a shower a giant clump of hair fell out. I am never going there again..:mad:

Bethie
March 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I am sorry you had that bad experience at the hairdresser.

teela1978
March 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
As a self-protective measure, I always have my hair absolutely combed out and tangle-free before I enter the salon / begin. I also tip my head down to comb the underside as well where pesky tangles may lurk and form even while your hair is bunned.

I did this too while I was waiting my turn to have my hair braided at a Ren Fest. The braider was surprised and happy with that.

I do this as well. I'm rather tenderheaded and can't stand having anyone comb out my tangles but me. Being tangle-free before a hairdresser starts is absolutely necessary for me.

missmandy
March 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Ugh stupid hairdressers are stupid.

TXbarbie
March 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Ugh how terrible!! I feel as though sometimes we run into hairdressers who are just in the biz for money, rather than for love of hair care.

CrisDee
March 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
This would be motivation for me to learn Feye's self trim method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim):) That's what I hope to be able to do just as soon as my hair gets long enough.

Fractalsofhair
March 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Yikes! I'm lucky to have a good stylist who doesn't even use a fine toothed comb excessively on my hair. (Just enough to kill my "waves" which dry to straight hair and make it hard to cut.) But before that... Well, she did comb from the bottom of my hair up, which was good!

sibiryachka
March 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I really think in most cases it's not so much dumbness as ignorance about the different care long hair needs. As long as I can remember, I've been asking whoever was trimming (too much of) my hair about how to care for it, and NOT ONE of them could ever answer what I thought were really basic questions, like what kind of brush I should be using to minimize breakage. Even the one stylist I actually grew to trust because at least she never cut more than I authorized - also I just love her so it was a pleasure to go see her - didn't really get it, and was always trying to convince me to get highlights or a cut that would require regular heat-styling, but never had anything useful to suggest about how to take care of the length or help it grow longer. I swear she meant well, and really thought it would be in my best interest "go more contemporary" with my hair.
I think it begins with training. I mean, if cutting and styling and coloring is what you're trained to do, and paid to do, isn't that what you're going to do to/for your customers? Are you even going to know what to do for someone who sits down in your chair needing something entirely different, who may not even know how to ask?
In my experience, no. That's why I'm so grateful to have found LHC!!! To quote the cashier at the local Indian grocery where I get my hair herbs & coconut oil (he was so helpful and engaging!): "If your neighbor has a beautiful green healthy lawn, and yours is brown and dry and full of weeds, what will you do - cut your lawn short and paint it green so it will match? Or go to your neighbor for advice on how to grow a beautiful lawn like his?":agree:

teela1978
March 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I have to admit that I'm somewhat concerned as to why its getting so tangled that it requires 2 women working on it to detangle. Is this something that happens regularly?

minkstole
March 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I think it´s important to find a stylist that you trust and who "gets" you. And stick with that person, even if the price doubles! Better luck next time!

Anje
March 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've had a few rough stylists... Makes me glad it's a very occasional thing, since I trim my own hair.

They should really pay attention to your wishes. That said, I think the "no brushing when wet" rule really applies to bristle brushes. Pin brushes aren't much different than combs: some are good, some are evil, and the ones that turn out to be evil should never go near your hair, wet or dry. Hence, you'll find lots of folks here that use Denmans on their wet hair. Gently, of course.

Arctic_Mama
March 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Knowing this ignorance and frustration over long hair exists, the best idea for protecting your hair is doing MOST of it yourself! Detangle before you come, and half the problem is alleviated. Or, heck, ask them for a comb to do it yourself! Then they aren't messing up your hair and you aren't fighting them on issues they don't know any better, on.

If you want it done right, do it yourself, is some of the best advice I've ever heard regarding hair, in particular.

Fiferstone
March 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Feye's self trim for the win :). it's WELL worth learning just so you don't have to take such a chance every time you go to a "salon."

I went 12 years without going to a salon a while ago. Between henna, and all the updos I've learned from fellow LHCers and Feye's self trim, I may never set foot in a salon again ;).

LadyJennifer
March 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I've had a few rough stylists... Makes me glad it's a very occasional thing, since I trim my own hair.

They should really pay attention to your wishes. That said, I think the "no brushing when wet" rule really applies to bristle brushes. Pin brushes aren't much different than combs: some are good, some are evil, and the ones that turn out to be evil should never go near your hair, wet or dry. Hence, you'll find lots of folks here that use Denmans on their wet hair. Gently, of course.

I used to only use a pin brush on my hair when wet. Combs did not do anything but break my hair, and my brush very gently detangled.

talecon
March 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
this brought back memories of when I got married. I didnt much care about my hair back then but when I went to the hairdressers to have my hair curled and globbed with hairspray they did a style that was half up and half down. After styling it and spraying hairspray in they decide that the lower half of my hair wasnt curling right so they just cut it. I don't know why they cut the lower half, maybe it wasnt even, I thought it looked fine *shrugs* but what I found weird was that they cut it with hairspray in and I wasnt even sure if the top half was going to end up being longer than the bottom half.
Theres a long list of reasons why I dont trust hairdressers but I forgot about that one but now I can add it to my already long list :p

Oskimosa
March 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Some LHCers are hairdressers.

:flowers:

Yea, I was thinking that myself when I read the rather rude titling to this thread...

I'm gonna go ahead and be the minority here and make an observation.. of course when you're in the service industry, your job is to double over backwards to please whatever client walks in your door. But to go into a place where hair is done with a head full of tangles and object when they attempted to remove said tangles.... ??? :confused: Really? I know you weren't appreciative of their attitude or method, but I think I may have thrown the eyeroll myself. To them, it looked like you didn't know how to take care of your hair, even though as an LHCer, we know you clearly do, but were having an off moment/day. Either way, you went in for a service but your hair was unservicable the way it was, so they had to do extra work before even getting to your hair. I would've been annoyed too.

Not condoning their method or anything, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But try to remember to be sensitive to your wording.. one bad experience doesn't mean all hairdressers are dumb. :flower:

Honey39
March 30th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Well, I go to a lovely hairdresser regularly, but I try to make my long thick hair as easy as possible for her and staff - I straighten it beforehand, and make sure it's detangled.

I think your thread title is pretty rude as well.

Blondschopf
March 31st, 2010, 01:14 AM
Have been thinking about this, and I think maybe hairstyling is like medecine. The prevailing belief is in what's "modern" and with the help of lots of "science" and "scientifically proven" products/pharmacies/procedures. However, this "modern" thinking is really kinda antiquated - equivalent to the medieval doctor with leaches. Allopathic medecine seeks to cure by breaking, ripping, cutting, and introducing poisons into the body - a bit like hair products and brushes, wrongly and too much used. And of course, any poison we put on our hair ends up in our bodies, anyway, when it's absorbed through the skin of the scalp.

True healing is not antiquated/modern, but profoundly ancient, and seeks to maintain the integrity of the whole. There are wonderful naturopaths, and wonderful physicians who practice allopathic medecine but with keen intuition, an open mind, and concern for their patients. There are also wonderful hairdressers who understand and respect the integrity of the hair. However, the prevailing training methods and common advice for stylists may not be in line with this. A stylist has to learn it on his or her own, and is rewarded with a happy, steady clientele! [hey, where did the two cents smiley go?! ... anyway, just my two cents on this, fwiw!]

You should definitely definitely write that down in a long version for a newspaper or magazine!!!! ;) And I would know, i'm a journalist^^

Rhiannon7
March 31st, 2010, 02:09 AM
I know how you feel, hugs. yep been there, did that and never again will i go to a salon. i truly have not stepped foot in a salon for almost 10 years! it depends on where they studied and when, but i also do wonder where some of them were during Hair care 101. some stylists have such strange ideas about hair and how to properly care for it. (not wanting to offend anyone, just expressing my experieces.) Plus tangles happen, i have baby fine hair and it actually tangles in the shower! i walk into the shower tangle free and come out with huge tangles.

But in my experience alot of stylists are great, some do have strange ideas or have had a bad day and some just simply do not care what they do. it happens everywhere. it is totally out of the theme but i've had alot of bad experiences with flight attendants and teachers, and i do not judge them all the same. i do agree, wording was a bit stressful. i never mean to offend, so please do not feel offended.

I did visit a salon last year to ask about a certain product they sell, after undoing the bun i was wearing i was told my hair looked flat, dry and damaged and i should cut it to pixie and never grow it below shoulders, since it was so fine it did not look good on me. plus i was told my hair color did not flatter me, (guess what? my hair is naturally red, and the stylists believed i colored it chemically.)

I smiled and redid my bun and walked out without buying anything. have not even though about going back to a salon, have a friend who i trust to cut/trim my hair at home. but it is difficult sometimes to express our emotions and feelings, specially when the day is stressful already and the person who is working on your hair is having a bad day.

elina333
March 31st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Thats horrible! :shudder: I just switched salons and my new hairdresser is very sweet. I came in with coconut oil in my hair and I detangled my hair myself after washing and I did not let her blowfry it. But she was ok with it! She was just like: "Naaw its so cute to see someone who is so nice to their hair" And she DID say it in a nice way! :cheer: