PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone prefer head coverings?

Mamakash
March 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
As I've been lurking around the LHC boards, I've noticed it's commonplace for most members to use upsweeps and buns to protect their hair. But I was wondering if anyone preferred using a head covering, such as a snood, tichel, scarf wrap, or pre tied bandana. My hair has grown to the point of annoyance, wonderful to wash and brush and admire but impractical for home and work. Obviously, I'm not going to cut it. But I've been looking into different coverings (and cultures) and realizing there's a very practical side to fulling covering one's hair . . . no shed hairs in the cooking, no catching in a seat belt, less damage from wind and sun, less breakage!
I outgrew the ponytail phase in my late teens/early twenties, especially when my daily pony habit broke my hair. My face is small, and now that I wear facial sunscreen I'm pale, so pulling back my hair leaves nothing but a small, pale face with a high forehead and a widow's peak. As the hair gets longer, the pony pulls more on my scalp . . . and I'm prone to migraines.
The pre tied bandanas are probably the nicest/least obvious, but I really like jewish snoods/scarfs. The colors are so pretty! I'm wearing a soft cotton snood-like hat as a type . . . needs to be paired with something more colorful but for home, it's very nice.

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'd like to figure out that whole snood/scarf thing but I don't know how women get them to stay in place and not fall off, or worse, tangle the hair they're supposed to be protecting. I have a few snood knitting patterns but I don't know if they'll be a waste of yarn, especially since my hair is slippery. I'd love to hear what women who wear them do in order to keep them from slipping!

deviantkitten
March 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I love my snoods! The only downside is because of all the rubbing at the nape, I am often stuck with very large knots. I also wear scarves all the time. I have found some really great vintage ones
If you wear snoods all the time, do you have any tips on how to prevent the knots at the nape of the neck?

Arctic_Mama
March 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I like headcovering, but don't do it as frequently as I'd like because it tends to draw more attention than a normal uncovered style.

With snoods, you can braid or bun your hair first and THEN cover it, eliminating the snarl. Coiling a rope braid in the bottom of a snood looks a lot like loose hair, but without the nape rubbing.

To get them to stay on the flexible metal V-clips that are often used to hold back growing fringe and flyaways work fabulously. Just slide into your hair at the edge of the snood on the left and right sides and flex/clip into place. They're also great if your bandanna or headscarf likes to slide, as well.

These are the clips I am talking about: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Snap-eze-Clips/STARTE5,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-01

MissMandyElizab
March 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I use a Bun Cover of some sorts about days a week! I find it keeps it safe and looks nice,but i have to admit that someof it is modesty and a idea my hair is for my other a gift to be shared with family.Its a bit odd but its my idea,

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 07:27 PM
To get them to stay on the flexible metal V-clips that are often used to hold back growing fringe and flyaways work fabulously. Just slide into your hair at the edge of the snood on the left and right sides and flex/clip into place. They're also great if your bandanna or headscarf likes to slide, as well.

These are the clips I am talking about: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Snap-eze-Clips/STARTE5,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-01

I can't wear those clips because the spot where they're attached together at the ends ends seem to snap up and rip my hair something awful. I thought of sewing in a plastic comb but then remembered that those are almost useless on me! Maybe some bobby pins?

Arctic_Mama
March 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Bobby pins may work, but they tend to pinch hair the same as the v-clips.

Maybe go to the Plainly Dressed website or an online headcovering community and shoot off an email asking them how they recommend their snoods be secured?

lychee
March 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I wear bandannas fairly often, especially when it's windy or I really need the wispy bits out of my face. I find that crossing two bobby pins just above the ear on each side secures the bandanna really well -- for me, better than the snapclips Arctic_Mama mentioned.

I've never used a snood, but I find that the knot of the bandanna rubs too if I'm not very careful tying it and making sure there's no hair stuck in the knot. (It probably still rubs, but at least it doesn't hurt! =] )

TXbarbie
March 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
For me it's all about convenience. I wake up maybe an hour before classes to do makeup, etc. but I just put my hair up in a bun and takes not time at all. It sounds like coverings would take a little more effort, which is why I guess I haven't looked into them.

anneisanne
March 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I like bandanas myself, and I've had great luck with headband/scarf things like the following:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00nhtQqOEJJTgD/Printing-Bandanas-Headband-A22-002-.jpg

They stay put and cover the hair on my head, and then I can either leave a braid hanging out or bun it underneath the scarf. I have one in a relatively subtle, neutral pattern and it is so useful.

mod ETA: pleas note the On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags and Copyright Issues (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939), thanks.

SheaLynne
March 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I just wore a scarf today to work outside in the yard. I knew I would be out there most of the day and I've wanted to protect my hair more from the sun, so today was the first day to try that and I loved it! Not only did it protect it from the sun, but also from getting caught in branches and other snags as I worked with rakes and bent over alot.

btw, I routinely wear a scarf as a headcovering during church services and when praying but have not routinely worn them otherwise. I have square scarves that I fold into the triangle and then tie underneath my bun. They are mostly cotton blends and I have no trouble with them slipping.

HTH!

Roseate
March 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I like to cover my head with a scarf sometimes, there are a number of nice tying suggestions (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl) over at Tzinus.com. Really does keep it protected and all out of the way, and I love scarves anyway, so I'm happy to have another way to wear them!

tinker bug
March 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I do occaisionally cover, but like a pervious poster said, they seem to attract more attention than I'm comfortable with.

I also wanted to add that in the articles section there are 2 articles about how exactly to tie the scarves so they stay in place :flower:

PrliamntofRooks
March 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
What you need is a "Scarf Gripper". I've also purchased a tie snood from her, and the quality is great, the shipping is fast!

http://distinctivehaircoverings.com/store/scarf_grippers.html

Copasetic
March 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I wear head scarves and snood type things all the time. My hair isn't long yet, but I still like them for when I am feeling lazy and don't want to deal with my hair. They are also good for covering wet hair in the morning.

JenniferNoel
March 30th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I like to wear head scarfs and snoods. Easy to use, comfortable, and they look great.

Mutinous
March 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I wear a hat most days, just because I'm too lazy to make my hair presentable and it covers all the wackiness away!

myotislucifugus
March 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I like to cover my head with a scarf sometimes, there are a number of nice tying suggestions (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl) over at Tzinus.com. Really does keep it protected and all out of the way, and I love scarves anyway, so I'm happy to have another way to wear them!

I love tying my scarves like on this site. I've found that the best way to sto them from slipping is to take one of those soft "spa" head bands and bobby pin it to my hair, and then put the scarf on over it.

Nae
March 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM
There is nothing better than a head covering when working outside. I grew up on a dairy farm and a handkerchief kept my hair from getting into all sorts of trouble. It is still something I fall back on if I am going to be in the woods, on a farm anywhere where my hair could get itself into trouble. There are definate advantages and it is SO practical.

Vermelha
March 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I wore head coverings all the time. It was this beautifully-detailed Moroccan scarf that I adored. It got lost on my way home from a fitness class.

I'm looking for a nice, thin, tropical one to wear during the summer.

@Roseate, thanks for the link. Those ideas are nice!

Purdy Bear
March 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I wear head coverings at the moment to protect my new baby hair coming through. I find its very easy to tie scarves, and wear hats.

You do need to make sure the scarf is big/long enough to tie at the back of the head, or come round twice so it ties at the front, as some dont do this; also that its wide enough to cover the head. Also watch the material as some can be very scratchy against the face, and thus may cause hair damage. Feel the material on the back of the hand to test it out first.

Iv recently gone for a double method. I wear my scarf tied at the back and move the knot to the side and plonk a very nice wide brimmed trilbie on the top. It looks very feminie and is a must in a UK climate at the moment.

For the Summer Iv got a broad brimmed cotton hat to cover up.

Im still stumped how to cover up a long braid, when I have one years down the line, Im gonna have to do some trails of the best protectors.

Islandgrrl
March 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM

My personal favorites are the Dutch Crown and the Bun styles of tying on Tznius.com.

I cover my head with a scarf very often. And fwiw, almost all my scarves have come from tznius.com, as well.

Jeni
March 30th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I would love to cover my hair more but like some other people have said I don't like the attention it causes.

I have been wearing my hair in a bun and then wrapping that with a scarf. It protects my hair and is pretty. I have had people comment on it but it's usually to ask if I am Mennonite (we have a largish population in this area).... Apparently long hair, worn up and covered = Mennonite to many college students here. o.O

pdy2kn6
March 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I once thought of this to. I thought wouldn't it be so good if all I had to do was everyday and night just wear a bandana/type of scarf wrap to keep my hair out of sight and out of any harms way, but then, like others have said, it draws too much attention for my liking. I guess not many guys wear a headscarf 24/7. Also, my head gets a bit itchy just wearing one at night. nice idea though...

Sheltie_Momma
March 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would really like to cover, I especially like these (http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/one-of-a-kind/) but I can't figure out how to start doing it without attracting a lot of attention or how to work it into a very conservative banking environment at work.

Themyst
March 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I like headcovering, but don't do it as frequently as I'd like because it tends to draw more attention than a normal uncovered style.

Hah - agreed! No one notices me in my bun. But wear a headscarf - gee whiz! I can feel people staring behind my back!

Cailie
March 30th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I would love to cover my hair more but like some other people have said I don't like the attention it causes.

Me too, I really wish I was brave enough to cover no matter the stares and comments. For hair but mostly for my religious beliefs and modest dressing. Until then, I keep it up in public in order not to draw attention to it.

Mamakash
March 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Me too, I really wish I was brave enough to cover no matter the stares and comments. For hair but mostly for my religious beliefs and modest dressing. Until then, I keep it up in public in order not to draw attention to it.
I'm going to try to "bite the bullet" and ride out the comments. Covering the head isn't an issue for the place I work(I asked first) so it comes down to other's opinions. It's odd for me at first but I'll try to vary the styles and people will just get used to it. I got a very nice comment from a customer on my blue eyes when I wore a pretied bandana. And my hair doesn't seem as dry. Maybe I can lengthen out the hair washes, as well.

Anje
March 30th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I've taken to wearing a buff (twisted, folded back on itself as a hat) on the back of my head, over my bun. Very comfy, but I haven't worn it around campus yet.

PrliamntofRooks
March 30th, 2010, 03:02 PM

I have been wearing my hair in a bun and then wrapping that with a scarf. It protects my hair and is pretty. I have had people comment on it but it's usually to ask if I am Mennonite (we have a largish population in this area).... Apparently long hair, worn up and covered = Mennonite to many college students here. o.O

I would rather be asked if I'm Mennonite or Amish than be told "You look like a cancer patient" by DH... as if there is anything WRONG with looking like a cancer patient!!:rolleyes:

Cailie
March 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm going to try to "bite the bullet" and ride out the comments. Covering the head isn't an issue for the place I work(I asked first) so it comes down to other's opinions. It's odd for me at first but I'll try to vary the styles and people will just get used to it. I got a very nice comment from a customer on my blue eyes when I wore a pretied bandana. And my hair doesn't seem as dry. Maybe I can lengthen out the hair washes, as well.

That is so great ! :flower:

rusika1
March 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I've worn scarves off and on for 30+ years, and nobody has ever given me grief over them. I prefer large squares--30 sq inches to 36 square inches in lightweight cotton. (Silk is too slippery, and I don't like to wear bobby pins to hold them on). I usually put my hair in a single braid.

Fold the scarf into a triangle and place on the head in the usual manner. Next, take each 'tail' of the triangle and pull under the braid and back up to the top of your head. (Like milkmaid braids.) Tie the ends in a snug (not too tight!) square knot, tuck the extra ends under so you don't look like you have rabbit ears.

If you choose twin braids instead of a single, the scarf stays in place longer without retying.

A type of Turkish scarf can be found in 100% cotton, very lightweight. They usually have an attractive, handmade edging, and are quite large. I have two that I bought at a festival last spring, I'm looking forward to getting more this year!

Here's a website that has some: http://anatoliana.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24&zenid=mvphfa3r9a1g5du8nq6tgavo90

(I can't vouch for the site, I've never ordered from them)

ETA: Or check ebay--yazma scarf, or yazma-oya scarf

Yozhik
March 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
There's another thread on here that mentions a whole lot of head covering options . . . let me try to find it :)

Eta: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21079&highlight=Head+covering

long.again
March 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
You could always try a snood with an attached headband. I found instructions to crochet your own here: http://www.crochetnbeads.com/files/Snood.pdf I've never tried it but I'm thinking of all the custom pretties you could make so I'm going to try it soon.

I wore a bandana/handkerchief a lot when my hair was really short because I hated it so much. I found large cloth napkins work really well. They are also perfect for those really greasy or too much oil, no time to wash days.

Last year I was wearing a lot of light weight scarves tied like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHWOJKW8c8

There are lots of YouTube videos about tying head wraps and scarves. Here are some of my favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKTRjQc1sTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORRQ0vVYZs <-- I LOVE this look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAeWrIFrQI

I also found this http://www.4women.com/fabrics/rayon/1 It's for chemo patients but it could work.

hanne jensen
March 31st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Because of freezing temperatures I've worn a woolen hood every time I've gone outside. It's done wonders for my hair. So, I plan on covering my hair with a scarf when outside now it's warmer. Today while I was shopping, every store I went into had scarves on sale. I bought a whole stack of them for next to nothing!

bridgetsgirl
March 31st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Lately I've taken to wearing a bandanna when my hair isn't looking great or when I'm feeling gypsy-ish. There's something ancient and mysterious about covering one's head/hair that really appeals to me.

NuclearMosquito
March 31st, 2010, 02:20 PM
So here's a conundrum. I've long worn bandannas or scarves in the past when I've had greasy hair, or when I worked at a very dusty/dirty job (dealing with old medical files), and I still like the idea of occasionally covering my hair, not just for practicality, but when I feel more private or modest, if that makes sense. However, my boyfriend's family are muslim, and his mom wears headscarves occasionally due to their religion. I don't cover my head when I go to his house because I'm not sure what her reaction would be. Though we plan to marry, I don't plan on converting, and I don't want to offend her by seeming to take on only a part of her culture. Anyone have any insight?

bytheocean
March 31st, 2010, 05:14 PM
I wear a headcovering just about every day. Anything from a wide headband to the suzanna style from Garlands of Grace, as well as bandanas and long rectangular scarves. Just depends on my mood.

As for covering around your future Muslim mother-in-law, I don't know your relationship with her, but it might be a great opportunity to get to know each other better by discussing it. Just an idea.

starlights
March 31st, 2010, 05:16 PM
the head covering i use is a knitted wolly hat... its black, looks cool and does the job in protecting my hair in the winter :)

Aer
April 14th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I'm a head covering pagan, I do it for religious and personal reasons, and because I want to. i wear what I call (probably incorrectly) a snood-dread tam- slouchy hat hybrid. Both of mine are made of hemp and wool, one is crocheted open weave for warmer weather. I love them. I get mine, usually custom, from a wonderful Etsy/Artfire seller (she has a site too). the studio on these sites is called Purple Sage DesignZ. The crafter, on her personal site, has free shipping, and the prices are pretty good for high quality hand made products. Like I said, she does custom, and she offers that at a good price too. The service is excellent. My snood/thingy is a everyday accessory now. I wear them with ease, but at first I had bit of trouble with them staying on, but I know how to tie them right now.

Monsterkitti
April 14th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I have some snoods for the winter but am going to look into scarves for the summer as I will be outside a lot and I wantto avoid any possible sun damage.

countryhopper
April 14th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I just got a reversable floppy cloth hat (denim on one side, kakai white on the other).

I need to force myself to wear it, though. I am SOOO not a hat person! I feel llike if I wear something oon my head my head can't breathe!

I must be weird....

myrrhmaiden
April 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm quite fair and burn very easily, so in the summer I love wearing scarves over my head, crossed in front, with the ends over my shoulders. (think like a hood or cowl) It feels magical when it blows in the wind - and I don't burn!

cmnt831
April 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I went through a period of time on my life when I covered my head when I went out in public. Aside from other issues, it really helped to keep my hair smooth and keep away the frizz; plus, my hair didn't seem so dry.

I have a nice collection of scarves now and still wear them when I feel like it. :D

squiggyflop
June 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I would rather be asked if I'm Mennonite or Amish than be told "You look like a cancer patient" by DH... as if there is anything WRONG with looking like a cancer patient!!:rolleyes:
arg! i made 2 beautiful velvet snoods (check out my website for sewing instructions) and i havent worn them once because dad said i looked like a cancer patient who was trying to cover up their baldness.. i hate the idea of people staring at me because they think im bald..

I wear a hat most days, just because I'm too lazy to make my hair presentable and it covers all the wackiness away!
i like the idea of covering my head for the same reason

MandaMom2Three
June 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I used to cover my head all the time, incidentally that was the only time I was able to grow long beautiful hair without a lot of damage. So I've started covering most of the time again. I don't have any set style, though I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the muslim hijab and wish I could wear those (don't think it would go over all that well with the fam though). I don't have many at the moment. I have a a couple scarves I wear in various ways (right now I'm wearing a navy blue one in this (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/rainbow.pl)style). I also have a this (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=523&groupid=30) snood, but it's quite hot (mine is the polyester one not the cotton) so I don't wear it much, I probably will in the winter thought! I am hoping to get some nice fabric and make myself a variety of coverings soon :)

gypsychild
June 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'd love to be able to wear scarves, but they tend to look odd on me. Perhaps it's my face shape, but anything that covers nearly all of my hair just looks off.

Lamb
June 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I like the snoods from garlandsofgrace.com, they are very nice and roomy. The latest designs are made of non-catchy material, and they are very comfortable to wear. :)

birthmarkie
June 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Lamb, those are so pretty! I recently saw an idea for making a headscarf/wrap/band/tie thing out of jersey material. Because of the nature of jersey cloth, there's no need to hem the edges and you just cut out the shape you want (triangle, rectangle, whatever). It seemed like a great idea and most people have some jersey material lying around.

my2cats1
June 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
This thread is timely - I recently began to hunt for lighweight hair covering options becasue I want to prevent the summer sun from lightening my hair.

Today I recieved an order from CoverYourHair.com. I'm really happy with them -- they have several pre-tied options and different materials. I got a snood and a very wide cloth headband.

http://www.coveryourhair.com/

kira33
June 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I wore Israeli tichels similar to the ones at CoverYourHair for two years while living in a Messianic/Christian type community, and it felt so much more natural being covered. The tichels are super soft and comfortable, and you don't even have to tie them, they stay on tight without making a knot.

italianamama
June 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I wore Israeli tichels similar to the ones at CoverYourHair for two years while living in a Messianic/Christian type community, and it felt so much more natural being covered. The tichels are super soft and comfortable, and you don't even have to tie them, they stay on tight without making a knot.

I'm in love with the Israeli style tichels too! (http://www.coveryourhair.com/israeliTichelIndex.html) I've been wearing a bandanna around the house to protect during housework/life. The standard style bandanna is getting way too small and I need an alternative, and I've been dying to try a tichel.

I'm not religious (in any way at all) but covering my hair appeals to me for hair integrity protection purposes. Keeping my hair covered even part of the time has resulted in noticeably less breakage and damage.

I started to cover my hair at the gym (where I DEFINITELY dont want male attention, or hair damage for that matter) in addition to long, loose clothing. I noticed that with my hair covered, the men at the gym will go out of their way to avoid staring/eye contact. It's really nice to be able to workout in peace. :D

I'd love to get up the guts to cover in other places, like the grocery store. But as I said I'm not religious, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone who did cover for religious reasons. Any thoughts for me from those who cover religiously? Many thanks :D