PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fine Hair Tutorial.

merseaone
March 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know of any baby fine hair style tutorials? And some for someone growing out some top layers?

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Ahh that would be useful! We are a unique bunch, are we not? Normal tips like coconut oil actually seem to increase breakage for me rather than decrease it like for everyone else. I'd like to hear others' tips.

For me, it was nothing but horn combs and a really high quality BBB, washing as frequently as I can find the time for with the gentlest shampoo/conditioner around, frequent gentle updos, and treating it as gently as I can, though I must admit that occasionally I get distracted and treat my hair more roughly than I should :(

As for layers, I have no idea, I haven't had them since I had super-short hair as a little kid.

LadyVictoria
March 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I have searched & searched but it seems that there are no good natural haircare tutorials for us fine-haired gals & guys. Every hair stylist that has ever cut my hair has discouraged growing my hair long due to how fragile it is. Well I say NO! I refuse to give up hope! Us fine hairs can & will grow long, healthy hair!

*steps off soap box*

LadyVictoria
March 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I have searched & searched but it seems that there are no good natural haircare tutorials for us fine-haired gals & guys. Every hair stylist that has ever cut my hair has discouraged growing my hair long due to how fragile it is. Well I say NO! I refuse to give up hope! Us fine hairs can & will grow long, healthy hair!

*steps off soap box*

Bethie
March 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I'm not sure there are any tutorials, however I normally just look look through the tutorials and figure on trying everything. Because something I have found is that every hair is different, so it won't hurt to try.

As for what I do, I CWC every other day, although I am transitioning to CO every day due to weather and the up coming trips to the pool. I did my first SMT last night and will continue to SMT at least once a week, more if my hair needs it. I can't use coconut oil, so I'm on the look out for some sweet almond oil, if that doesn't work then jojoba oil is next on the list lol. Which I will use every day. On Friday I'm going to do an honey and oil treatment. Cross my fingers it isn't too heavy on my hair.

I don't really have advice for growing out top layers, I am just babying my hair with the above while it grows.

Babyfine
March 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I'm afraid that outside of the Long hair support forums(like LHC) you won't find any tutorials for growing fine hair long-at least I never have.
They all advise to keep it short, plump it up with volumizing products or chemicals,(highlights, perms) ect. www.longlocks.com has an excellent article on how to grow long hair.
It's geared to all hair types, but is very informative on how to avoid damage
There are articles here, too, such as Nighshades growing out damaged hair article, and The fine, thin, hair thread.
I keep my hair trimmed often in a blunt cut, as I find that my hair actually grows better that way. I have an oily scalp so I do shampoo 2X a week with gentle shampoos and do a deep treatment twice a month. I wear it up about 75% of the time. I should wear it up more-but I like it down.
My hair isn't really that long compared to many here(BSL) but it's far longer than I used to have it as I treat it far more gently.

Babyfine
March 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Oh yeah, layers.
Layers are tough.
The only way I've ever been able to grow them out is to keep trimming the longer length, and let the layers grow with just dustings.
I did chop back to SL in July of 2007, to even out all layers, but that's a drastic
solution.

merseaone
March 31st, 2010, 03:22 PM
For me, it was nothing but horn combs and a really high quality BBB, washing as frequently as I can find the time for with the gentlest shampoo/conditioner around, frequent gentle updos, and treating it as gently as I can, though I must admit that occasionally I get distracted and treat my hair more roughly than I should :(

These abbreviations are a trip! Every time I read a post I have to go search for the VIP threads! Phew!

And what are horn combs?

Bethie
March 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM
These abbreviations are a trip! Every time I read a post I have to go search for the VIP threads! Phew!

And what are horn combs?

A horn comb is a comb made out of an animal horn. I googled and found this (http://haircare.suite101.com/article.cfm/horn_combs_for_hair) HTH

FrannyG
March 31st, 2010, 07:28 PM
I don't have a tutorial per se, but I do have an article on what works for me and my babyfine hair on my website. Here is a link (http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/haircare.htm) to the page.

I hope it helps, even a bit. :)

Ksenia
April 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM

And what are horn combs?

Yes the abbreviations are quite tricky getting used to, and then you realise how much easier it is not to type out everything!

Horn combs are wonderful, I have about 8 of them of varying sizes, from the teeny tiny to nice big detanglers. They help to distribute oils throughout your hair, and they don't damage the shaft - the tiny ridge on plastic tines can act like a small razor blade on your hair and strip it down. There is care involved (keep them moisturised, no dropping them - my biggest problem) but they feel so nice. Just be careful not to scritch your scalp if you have any silicones in your hair otherwise it could hurt.

merseaone
April 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
A horn comb is a comb made out of an animal horn. I googled and found this (http://haircare.suite101.com/article.cfm/horn_combs_for_hair) HTH

Eeeewwwwwww...... don't let PeTA see this!

long.again
April 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Re: Combs and hair toys

The best combs, brushes, hair toys ect are made from natural materials: wood, boar bristle, horn and bone.

One of the key advantages to these materials is that they don't have seems that will ruin your hair, also they have natural oils that are good for your hair (which also means the oils in your hair are good for the tool).

Though I am a vegetarian, I own a bone hair comb for in shower detangling. Because wood swells and splinters in the shower eventually.

I have really fine hair and I've found two things that really work for my hair - wearing it up as often as I can and using monistat.

Also, caring for it the best I can and then ignoring it for several months - it does wonders.

merseaone
April 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
I use monostat to help my hair grow but does it help in other ways?

anrems
April 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
FrannyG, thanks for posting that link, your article is amazing! I have super fine and straight hair and have had so much trouble figuring out how to care for it. I will defintely be trying your tips tomorrow when I wash my hair!

Canarygirl
April 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
I just read that Feye's self trimming method info. for the first time and I'm excited to be able to do it instead of paying through the nose for a dusting at my hairdresser's. However...I have layers (growing out a pixie). Can those be successfully self-trimmed too? My hair is fine and wavy too.

Ksenia
April 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Eeeewwwwwww...... don't let PeTA see this!

Actually, the horn is harvested ethically. Every year, the sheep naturally shed their horns, and that is what is used to make the combs. No harm comes to the sheep that provided the horn.

long.again
April 3rd, 2010, 12:15 AM
I just read that Feye's self trimming method info. for the first time and I'm excited to be able to do it instead of paying through the nose for a dusting at my hairdresser's. However...I have layers (growing out a pixie). Can those be successfully self-trimmed too? My hair is fine and wavy too.

I've been growing out since a pixie too (picture in my albums) and I've always self trimmed. Basically, I just tried to ignore the layers and just trimmed the longest part of my hair. Eventually it all caught up. Actually, the last time I trimmed (about 3 months ago) I had to cut maybe a half inch off the sides because they had finally caught up with everything else. Now my hair is all one (v-shaped) length. :)

long.again
April 3rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
I use monostat to help my hair grow but does it help in other ways?

Yeah, it will speed up growth but it also prevents shedding. Though you may not actually be growing more hairs, you are losing fewer so you will have more hair on your head vamping up the volume.

FrannyG
April 3rd, 2010, 05:04 AM
FrannyG, thanks for posting that link, your article is amazing! I have super fine and straight hair and have had so much trouble figuring out how to care for it. I will defintely be trying your tips tomorrow when I wash my hair!

Thank you so much, anrems! :blossom: It took me a long time to figure out what does and doesn't work for me. Don't try everything at once in my article. Some methods may or may not work for you, so it's best to try one thing at a time to see what works.

Actually, the horn is harvested ethically. Every year, the sheep naturally shed their horns, and that is what is used to make the combs. No harm comes to the sheep that provided the horn.

Yes, this is what my research came up with as well. I swear by my horn comb. And never comb or brush your hair when wet, except for your bangs, very gently to keep them in place while air drying.

Detangling dry hair is much safer for the hair than wet hair. We finies need to be extra careful, in my opinion. :)