PDA

View Full Version : Updo that holds with elastics?

lilalong
March 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
My hair is a bit over BSL, ii thickness and I need an updo that will pull my hair back and away from my neck and will hold with elastics.
I used to make a messy bun or a bee-butt bun, but my hair is getting too long for that.

Anyone can help?

Arctic_Mama
March 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Do you need it to hold with elastics for work or a sport? I'd recommend, if you can get away with one stick or a plastic pin, doing a Chinese bun or braided bun with an elastic anchoring it.

I wish I was more help, but I have phased out elastics from every hairstyle I do except braids, primarily because they are damaging and pull on my scalp :(

lilalong
March 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm going traveling and I don't want to take hair sticks and clips with me. Elastics just seem so much more practical, especially when going to the beach.

Hmm, maybe if I use stronger elastics?

naereid
March 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
The buns I see on the streets of my city are all held with elastics. I think they're done like this... you start making a ponytail, but then on the second or third loop you don't pull it all the way through, instead leaving it halfway there. Then you kinda scrunch the remaining length into a ball, that's then also looped with the remaining length of the elastic. It looks very messy and seems a little damaging, but maybe you could play around with the basic idea.

I just remembered this article, it could be useful: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=129

lilalong
March 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
The buns I see on the streets of my city are all held with elastics. I think they're done like this... you start making a ponytail, but then on the second or third loop you don't pull it all the way through, instead leaving it halfway there. Then you kinda scrunch the remaining length into a ball, that's then also looped with the remaining length of the elastic. It looks very messy and seems a little damaging, but maybe you could play around with the basic idea.
That's what I'm doing at the moment. It will not.stay.up. Drives me crazy.

I just remembered this article, it could be useful: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=129
Thanks! I will try them out, maybe one of them will hold.

Quixii
March 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
For gymnastics, I put my hair in a ponytail, braid it, tie that off with an elastic, tie it in a knot, wrap the end around, and secure that with a scrunchie.
I don't know if your hair is long enough, though..

Roseate
March 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I put my hair up with an elastic when I'm washing my face, and now that it's getting longer I've had to change my technique somewhat- now I ponytail it, twist the whole length up into a rope, and then start doing the half-loop messy-bun thing. Twisting it not only eats up some length, it also makes the whole "bun" sort of twist around itself and hold better.

I'm not sure this would be an all-day style, I only use it for a few minutes at a time. :shrug:

lilalong
March 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
For gymnastics, I put my hair in a ponytail, braid it, tie that off with an elastic, tie it in a knot, wrap the end around, and secure that with a scrunchie.
I don't know if your hair is long enough, though..

I put my hair up with an elastic when I'm washing my face, and now that it's getting longer I've had to change my technique somewhat- now I ponytail it, twist the whole length up into a rope, and then start doing the half-loop messy-bun thing. Twisting it not only eats up some length, it also makes the whole "bun" sort of twist around itself and hold better.

I'm not sure this would be an all-day style, I only use it for a few minutes at a time. :shrug:

Several elastics! And braiding!
This will work for sure. Hair is wet at the moment but I will try this as soon as it has dried!!!

Arctic_Mama
March 29th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The good thing about a braided bun is that it is less likely to fall our and come loose than a normal one, so even if you have to adjust the 'bun' several times, your hair is still contained in a ponytail and braid :)

Zéphine
March 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM
A couple possibilities:
*cinnamon bun with the last loop of the elastic stretched over the back of the bun
*tie hair in a knot and tighten, then spread out ends over the knot (like a sock bun without the sock) and put the elastic around

simplysnuggle
March 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
how about a sock bun?

LaurelSpring
March 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
What if you just use several elastics down the back french braid style. That should be good for travel.

utdesertrunner
March 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I am having the exact same dilemma now that I am BSL. An elastic is too small for my hair now. I really need to get a hairstick and learn how to use it.

alles_klars
March 30th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I was going to ask a really similar question... has anyone here been backpacking? And if so what did they find were the best styles for travelling?

I went to Sri Lanka - what a beautiful country! - in Feb and it's the first time I've backpacked since my hair got longer. When I was in India 2 years ago it wasn't yet shoulder length, so I wore it in a French plait (with the front layers constantly falling out!) or a bun (nothing fancy, just twisted round itself and secured with an elastic on the back of my head - don't know what it's called) if we were somewhere really dusty.

This time the bun didn't really work, it was so humid that I just looked like a sweaty little grease-ball, and the single French plait was too heavy on my neck, despite the fact that I have so many layers that any plait I do has massive taper! I did two French plaits, which worked better as it kept it off my neck. When I went to the beach I'd put it in a high ponytail and then plait the length, which stayed secure when I went swimming etc... buns always fall out when I swim :) Both these styles looked a little kitschy for me though.

The other thing was that it was so hot that I was jumping in a cold shower several times a day... normally I wash my hair every 2 days and that's the only time I get it wet. I just shampooed and conditioned, didn't have time to put coconut oil on it.

So I was wondering... what are your traveling hairstyles and do you change your normal routine before?