PDA

View Full Version : U-shape on straighties

Phalaenopsis
March 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I saw a picture of someone with a bit of wavy hair and I loved her new U-shape she cut. I'm wondering if someone here has straight hair like me, but doesn't have a blunt cut, but an U-shape. I'm really doubting... I wear my hair loose almost all the time and I think U-shape would look prettier. It wouldn't really interfere with my braids and if I don't like it, it wouldn't take long to grow out, would it?

I would love to see some pictures and hear some opinions. You can see my hemline in my latest blog.

TIA :flower:

little_cherry
March 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think the U-trim thing looks gorgeous on all hair types. When my hair is longer, I'll do the U or V.

Looking at your avatar, I think the U trim on you would look stunning.

paperwhite
March 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Agreed. I've seen a U-shape hem on straight haired girls and it looks great. It couldn't hurt to try a shallow U at first to see if you like the change :)

harpgal
March 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Phalaenopsis, I love the "U" shape hemline on everybody. If you do not trim it too extreme, you should not have trouble with braiding. The "U" shape just seems to fit a person's body well. I do not know why that is.

Ravenne
March 29th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I have a very shallow U on my hemline. I'm slowly trimming it to a blunt though, just for the sake of ease while I grow it longer. I'll probably put it back to a U though when I hit hip because I prefer the rounded look. I've never thought a U shape looked unflattering on any hairtype. :)

Pumpkin
March 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I like U shape on long hair as well as V shape. Heck, even fairy-tale ends...just my opinion. Try it...

Carolyn
March 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
GM trained stylists seem to like to do a U shape hemline. I used to get one the first couple of times when I went to Enchantress. I'm a 1C. At this time I prefer a straight across blunt hemline as I think it makes a nice braid tassel. I might go back to it someday for a change. At waistlength I like to wear my hair down once in a while and a U does look nice. I'd never do a V hemline.

Tonks
March 29th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think U-shaped hemlines look gorgeous on everybody! I plan on doing that someday, possibly when my hair gets a little longer. I'd start with a really shallow one since it'll take less time to grow out if you don't end up liking it.

Karala
March 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM
My hair is straight with a U-shaped hemline:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/_Violette_/Mars20092008.jpg

I think shallow U-shaped hemlines are the prettiest :] The only downside in my opinion is that it "technically" makes your ends thinner; so if you make a braid for instance, the end will inevitably look thinner. If anyone has taper (like I do) they should probably be careful about that. But it shouldn't really be a problem except if the U shape is kinda deep.
Hope that helps :]

julliams
March 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I had my hair cut and straightened yesterday and it turns out it is a U shape. Here it is and you can see my wavy texture in my siggy but that is at it's most wavy - normally it's more of a half and half.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4472149652_dcc2e3874a.jpg

GlassEyes
March 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Your avatar sort of looks like you have a shallow one already.

birthmarkie
March 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I had my hair at 1a and deep u. I set the picture as my album cover; can't post it here now. Is that what you had in mind?

LadyVictoria
March 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have straight, thin/fine hair & a blunt hemline just doesn't work for me at all. I am currently rocking a V but will go to a U once my face framing layers grow out.

beez1717
March 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hey, how would u shape work with fairytale ends? I'm thinking of going for fairytale ends and I was wondering what you all thought?!

flutterbudget
March 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm 1a, and had a U shape for a while. I liked it fine down, but it really irritated me in braids. When I decided to trim off some damage, I went more blunt and I think I like it better. But if you are maintaining at your current length, no, it wouldn't take too long to grow out if it bothered you, depending on the depth of your U.

physicschick
March 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm 1a, and had a U shape for a while. I liked it fine down, but it really irritated me in braids. When I decided to trim off some damage, I went more blunt and I think I like it better.

The U shape bothered me when braided also. It does look attractive when down, but I can't stand not having a straight blunt cut if I'm going to braid.

Demetrue
March 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I like either a shallow U or a blunt even hem-line on straight hair. A shallow U looks very pretty at waist length.

clichepithet
March 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Bippity! Boppity! Boo!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4563&pictureid=63892

I am in agreement on the braiding issue. Though I'm hoping it's not as much of an issue once it's longer. I'll keep telling myself that. Like the "U" shape too much to change it, at any rate.

flutterbudget
March 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I am in agreement on the braiding issue. Though I'm hoping it's not as much of an issue once it's longer. I'll keep telling myself that.

I was almost TB and it made me batty to braid it. The only way I liked braids at all with that hemline was with really long tassles. Of course, YMMV. ;)

Phalaenopsis
March 30th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Oh, I'm loving the pictures, a U-shape is so pretty!
But as I thought, it's annoying when doing a braid? Since because of the shape I'll have to leave my tassles longer? Is it really that bad, like, that you think your braids weren't pretty anymore or something? And what is the difference when bunning? Is bunnning more difficult as well?

And yes, I already have a real shallow one, my hairdresser never did a superblunt cut. I kept going to her for trimming, since I liked the way she did my hemline.

little_cherry
March 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hey, how would u shape work with fairytale ends? I'm thinking of going for fairytale ends and I was wondering what you all thought?!I think the U shape would look really pretty with fairytale ends! :)

habioku
March 30th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm also a straight hair with a U-cut, even a big one:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/605/shoot4.th.jpg (http://img696.imageshack.us/i/shoot4.jpg/) (click to enlarge)

And I think U-cuts look really good at straighthairs.

Aditi
March 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Like other U-shape hemline looks great on straight hair :)

Oskimosa
March 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Depending on how my hair falls, it looks u-shaped or v-shaped! Its the heavy layers. In my siggy it looks u-shaped, since I brushed out the waves. I think maybe it looks more v-shaped when I let the waves air-dry.

I've seen some thud-worthy pics of members with u-shaped hemlines of all textures. It's whatever you prefer! Also take into account the amount of time your hair spends up or down. For example, I wear my hair down more often than not so layers and a funky hemline is ok for me. If you wear it up more, maybe blunt is better!

physicschick
March 30th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, I'm loving the pictures, a U-shape is so pretty!
But as I thought, it's annoying when doing a braid? Since because of the shape I'll have to leave my tassles longer? Is it really that bad, like, that you think your braids weren't pretty anymore or something? And what is the difference when bunning? Is bunnning more difficult as well?

It just meant I had to leave the tassel much longer. Otherwise, my braids looked like normal. I always have trouble partitioning my hair into even thirds, and ending up with a short tassel is the measure of whether I did it correctly. With the U shape, it made me feel like I was failing every time. :blushing:

I couldn't say whether it affected bunning, since the only time I had a U shape was before I knew how to make a bun.

walterSCAN
March 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I have a shallow U hemline and love it! Of course, I prefer/ have to leave longer tassels on my braids (at least 2") because my hair is slippery anyway... It's never bothered me though. Like I said, I like the way longer tassels look...

My avatar is my hemline with braidwaves, and here's a picture of my hair being its naturally-1a-self:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/length.jpg

Rivanariko
March 30th, 2010, 11:41 PM
My hair is pretty darn straight and I keep it in a fairly shallow U-shape. I like the softer look it has when it's down as opposed to blunt ends. I do have to make the tassles on my braids somewhat long, but I fail at making the sections perfectly even anyway, so I think I'd have to do that even if I had perfectly blunt ends. I haven't had any trouble with buns, but then, I learned them with my hair in this shape.

BeatlesFanGirl
March 31st, 2010, 05:10 AM
I like U-shape the most, it look great especially on APL-TB length. I have it for a long time, and I have straight hair. No problem at braiding, since I like to wear my hair loose. But now I'm thinking about having a v-shape cut... :)

flutterbudget
April 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM
It just meant I had to leave the tassel much longer. Otherwise, my braids looked like normal. I always have trouble partitioning my hair into even thirds, and ending up with a short tassel is the measure of whether I did it correctly. With the U shape, it made me feel like I was failing every time. :blushing:

I agree with this.

I don't think it made bunning any more difficult.

I felt like my braids tapered more and got fuzzy more quickly and I got to where I just left about a 4 inch tassel. I do like my braids much better now, and they feel thicker to me. But I'm not the world's most skilled braider, so it could have been partly user error.

If a braid is your preferred style, it might be enough to bug you. But if you only braid once in a while, it might be no big deal. I've seen some great braids that weren't done on blunt ends. I think it just depends what you like working with.

Princess Kitti
April 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
I have straight hair with a U shape from layers and I love it. I personally feel like I am wearing a cape on my head if I have it blunt cut :)

Phalaenopsis
April 2nd, 2010, 01:45 AM
I have straight hair with a U shape from layers and I love it. I personally feel like I am wearing a cape on my head if I have it blunt cut :)

Yeah! That's how I feel too, like I have a blanket lying on my back, just going straight down, no movement.

beez1717
April 2nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah! That's how I feel too, like I have a blanket lying on my back, just going straight down, no movement.

Would you feel that way with a straight line instead of a u?

FrannyG
April 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
I am a complete 1a and I have a U-shaped hem. I've had my hair much longer also with a U. I like straight-across, and have had it, but I feel somehow more feminine with a U. I don't know why to be honest, though. You can see it in my clickable signature photo.

atlantaz3
April 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I like my U better than blunt. Although pony tails never turn out even for me!

justgreen
April 2nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
My siggy shows my hair in a true U. For the longest time that is how it grew,so i'd just get it slightly shaped up every now and then. Now the sides grow longer than the middle, so my last trim was a blunt one.

Phalaenopsis
April 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM
Would you feel that way with a straight line instead of a u?

Yes, I feel that way with my straight hemline, but maybe it's also cause I have thick and straight hair.

I called my hairdresser today to get some information. I asked if I would lose much length by cutting an U-shape. She said an inch tops. On the sides it would be a bit more.

Lykaios
April 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Really though, I don t think you would need to trim the bottom at all, only the sides to get a U shape. Mine's in between a V and U, since it is fairly steep from being a V once. They look great on everyone, IMO.

Messyhair
April 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I've had shallow u-shape (using Feye's u-shape trimming method) and a deep u-shape, which I couldn't maintain because hairstylists couldn't figure out how to do it.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/hgallant/aug04.jpg

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/hgallant/nov04.jpg

I loved both, but I'll stick to the shallow u this time around so I can maintain it myself.

FrannyG
April 3rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Yes, I feel that way with my straight hemline, but maybe it's also cause I have thick and straight hair.

I called my hairdresser today to get some information. I asked if I would lose much length by cutting an U-shape. She said an inch tops. On the sides it would be a bit more.

When I cut my own U-Shape, I didn't lose any length. It's the sides that need cutting, not the very back of the hair. Even with my homemade job I didn't lose length.