PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get offended when...

joiekimochi
March 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
So I was at this beauty store just now, checking out their range of shampoos and conditioner. I was so pleased and surprised to find that they stock Giovanni, plus they were at a very good price, so I was examining the range. In swoops this saleslady, and she went, "Oh, this is a good brand, but for your thinning hair, you should get this specialty line." And went on to promote this brand of expensive chemical-laden faux medical shampoo.

Excuse me, I do not have thinning hair. My hair may be finer and thinner than most, but they are definitely not thinning or shedding. In fact, since quitting chemical shampoos and condish, taking biotin supplements and joining LHC, my shedding has reduced by 90% and my ponytail's circumference increased by half an inch. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about comments about my hair volume from complete strangers, but I was really offended that she insisted that my hair was thinning and that I absolutely needed her elixir shampoo. Who is she to declare what condition my hair is in? She couldn't even see all my hair because the whole thing was in a bun, plus my scalp wasn't even showing through! She's not even a hairstylist! In the end I politely excused myself and left the store without buying anything.

Normally if a sales staff said things like "oh your lips are chapped" to promote lip gloss, or "you have dry skin on your hands" to sell hand cream, I wouldn't really have cared less, but when it comes to my hair, which I spend all my TLC on and pamper it like crazy, I tend to get really protective and defensive about it. Am I overreacting?

alles_klars
March 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
To be honest, I think any sales person who tries to get your custom by telling you what's wrong with you is going about it the wrong way. No-one likes having their appearance criticised, especially given how we're all constantly exposed to advertising which promotes a totally unrealistic idea of beauty. OMG I don't have skin like Kate Moss... oh hang on, Kate Moss doesn't have skin like Kate Moss, it's all photoshop.

If she was any good at sales, she should have told you how pretty your hair is (which it looks to be from your pic :) ) and then said that you could make it even better by using xyz.

Purdy Bear
March 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Id say she was a bad saleswomen. Anyone worth their salt doesnt sell that way. Its a bit like a clothes saleswomen selling you something that doesnt fit right.

renarok
March 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I am sorry that you were treated so badly by the sales lady. It seems she could use some lessons in sales etiquette. I would have been offended by such unsolicited advice as well.

LoveMyLongHair
March 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I beleive my answer would have been, "My thinninghair...........and what would your comparison factor be to know whether or not my hair was thinning? and I would have followed it up by "has it been a tremendous help on YOUR hair?" and I would have said it with the SWEETEST smile ever....

:disco:

paperwhite
March 29th, 2010, 10:24 AM
How extremely rude! No, I don't think you were overreacting. I think she's got a serious etiquette issue.

yellowchariot
March 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I actually like to stump people on situations like this, just to see what reactions they come up with.

1. You could have simply said, "Oh really? What makes you think that I have 'thinning' hair?"
* Then she would have to explain why she thought it, and her credentials.

2. This would have been the funniest thing to say. "OH NO thanks. . . I'm wearing a wig right now!" lol :p

* This would have most likely cause a comical awkward moment! :D

3. Probably one of the more modest, yet sinister comeback you could have said. However it would have sounded very innocent which is what makes this statement so wrong, and right at the same time .

"Oh thank you soo much! Is this what you use on your thinning hair as well?!" touche

*This remark would have no doubt, started a controversy re-action between you and the sales associate. She would have most likely defended her hair, and then you would have had the advantage of saying anything in retaliation.

Unzadi
March 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I call rudeness on the saleslady.

When someone does something like that, part of me always wants to look at what they've pointed out, scream and run from the store. They won't be trying that again anytime soon. I think you have beautiful hair; rock on.

Bethie
March 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I actually like to stump people on situations like this, just to see what reactions they come up with. .

2. This would have been the funniest thing to say. "OH NO thanks. . . I'm wearing a wig right now!" lol :p

* This would have most likely cause a comical awkward moment! :D

LOL I have done this one.

To the OP, I thing the sales person was very rude and should go through "how to be nice and still get your commission" lesson.

yellowchariot
March 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
LOL I have done this one.

To the OP, I thing the sales person was very rude and should go through "how to be nice and still get your commission" lesson.

Hey Bethie, I actually forgot to add a #3 to that list! here it is

3. Probably one of the more modest, yet sinister comeback you could have said. However it would have sounded very innocent which is what makes this statement so wrong, and right at the same time :D.

"Oh thank you soo much! Is this what you use on your thinning hair as well?!" ;) touche

geosangel
March 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you. She was very rude. I have been in this situation, with a hairdresser who insisted my roots were all coming in grey, and I should let her cut my hair to about an inch in length all over because my hair was 4 different colors and looked awful as it was. I got up out of the chair and left. I refuse to give people like that any of my time or words. I believe they need a lot of training in the customer service area, and learn how to keep they're negative opinions to themselves.

missmandy
March 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Ugh that's horrible!!! I think she was just trying to get you to freak out and feel like you really NEED that expensive shampoo, and then buy it, and then she'll get praised by her bosses by making them more money. Ugh, she sucks.

marzipanthecat
March 29th, 2010, 10:50 AM
That's a crummy sales person.

I used to work in sales, and it's simply rude and stupid to say something like that (Always think: Would I respond to this statement? If not, don't say it!)

Don't take it personally. It's just a sales person doing a rather bad job.

pennyroyal
March 29th, 2010, 10:52 AM
yea, she is a very rude salesperson so I wouldn't take it personally, even tho that is easier said then done. From your avatar it looks like you have gorgeous hair!

naereid
March 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Id say she was a bad saleswomen. Anyone worth their salt doesnt sell that way. Its a bit like a clothes saleswomen selling you something that doesnt fit right.
But when a saleswoman tells you something doesn't fit right, you won't buy it, and she loses a customer.
And when a saleswoman tells you you'll look soooo much better if you buy this, she gains a customer.

I guess her approach could have worked with someone who is terribly insecure of how fine their hair looks. You, on the other hand, have found your routine and love your hair, so it's entirely reasonable that you were offended. As for unwanted comments, it's bizarre how a lot of people act like women's bodies are constantly on display to be freely judged by anyone and everyone... You didn't ask for her opinion, so she shouldn't have given it.

Vermelha
March 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
To be honest, I think any sales person who tries to get your custom by telling you what's wrong with you is going about it the wrong way. No-one likes having their appearance criticised, especially given how we're all constantly exposed to advertising which promotes a totally unrealistic idea of beauty. OMG I don't have skin like Kate Moss... oh hang on, Kate Moss doesn't have skin like Kate Moss, it's all photoshop.

If she was any good at sales, she should have told you how pretty your hair is (which it looks to be from your pic :) ) and then said that you could make it even better by using xyz.

^^I agree with this! It's probably the worst sales pitch ever. It's like saying, "You're fat, but if you try this product, you won't be..." Bogus.

It has happened to me before. I walked into a Trade Secret and this woman was like, "Well, for your dry hair, you'll need X product" and then she used an anecdote about a burn victim who couldn't grow her hair until she tried this product. A BURN VICTIM. I'm standing there confused because I obviously had much more hair than she did, yet I'm the one with the hair growing problem :confused: I didn't get to tell her what type of hair I had. But why compare my hair to a BURN VICTIM'S?

Also, she assumed my 3c hair had a chemical in it. My hair was curly that day, too. Stylists don't know as much as they say they do...

Vermelha
March 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
But when a saleswoman tells you something doesn't fit right, you won't buy it, and she loses a customer.
And when a saleswoman tells you you'll look soooo much better if you buy this, she gains a customer.

I guess her approach could have worked with someone who is terribly insecure of how fine their hair looks. You, on the other hand, have found your routine and love your hair, so it's entirely reasonable that you were offended. As for unwanted comments, it's bizarre how a lot of people act like women's bodies are constantly on display to be freely judged by anyone and everyone... You didn't ask for her opinion, so she shouldn't have given it.

I must say, this is the best thing I have heard all week!

Carolyn
March 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Now days sales clerks are not trained in customer service. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out you don't insult your customers appearance if you want to sell something. People take whatever job they can get these days. Not everyone is cut out to be a salesperson. And chances are she is earning minimum wage or close to it and not on commission. Too bad you didn't have a snappy comeback for her thoughtless remarks. She needs to understand how insulting and hurtful what she said was.

little_cherry
March 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Wow...that's incredibly rude of her. Sorry to hear that you were treated like this! Definitely an inexperienced sales woman.

I would have pointed out all the nasty ingredients in the product and ask her if she actually uses it...lol

What did her hair look like?

Perhaps insulting is a sales technique to get customer to freak out and buy the product? Hmm... Not a very good one, but anyway.

Syaoransbear
March 29th, 2010, 01:08 PM
It's a good way to sell stuff. When sales people throw out that initial insult and follow it up with a way to fix it, people with low confidence get suckered in pretty easily. Sometimes that insult doesn't even have to be true.

Bellona
March 29th, 2010, 01:40 PM
ugh, that was rude. your hair does not look like it's thinning.

sometimes I wish salespeople would just mind their business.

Nae
March 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds like she has a bad case of Runon disease. You know, when the mouth opens and just "runs on." That was a thoughtless and rude comment and I am glad you didn't buy anything from that place. I would be seriously tempted to write a letter to her manager because if I were the manager I would want to know if one of my employees was being offensive to my customers.......just a thought.

mellie89
March 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM
How rude!

I had something similar happen at the hairdresser. She went on and on about how thin my hair was and how it would look much better if I straightened it (?) and used their 138912789479 dollar shampoo and conditioner. It was damaged from bleaching and straightening, so it wasn't thinning, it was breaking off. I didn't say anything, but I wish I could go back and give her a piece of my mind.

Pumpkin
March 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Ahh, sales...'rolling eyes'.

harpgal
March 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Well, that would sting a bit, but no, I would not get offended.

Most folks out in the real world do not focus on hair like we do around here. Modern society preaches to keep hair short and they do not think about how thick or thin hair is, like we do.

Knowing this, I would not take it personally or think it was rude.

Amraann
March 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have had this happen many times at salons...... Until I inform them that I have been to cosmetology school. My grandmother owned a salon and my mother, aunt and sister where/are all cosmetologists.
I usually just do my own hair at home.

It is not just hair that people critique... just the other night I had one of hubby's volunteers told me that I was skinny and did not eat and had no boobs! LOLOL
(I am skinny but I do eat (a LOT) and I do have boobs!
Amazing the dumb things that people say!

I think you made your point by walking out and buying nothing.

Arctic_Mama
March 29th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Oh, I'd absolutely have been offended! Naturally fine hair has a very different look to it than overall thinning, even if scalp IS showing! And insulting one's customers is NOT a way to get a sale! I would have been very upset and probably said something less than kind in response.

joiekimochi
March 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thank you everyone! I'm glad to know I'm not overreacting to that woman's words. I'm not the kind to make snarky comebacks, but I guess the ultimate comeback was that after I had allowed her to make her lengthy sales pitch and get her hopes up that I would buy her poo, I walked out without buying anything.

I just can't understand why some sales staff are so dedicated to pitching a particular line of products just because it's more expensive? Especially when it's obvious the customer had gone in to buy the product they want? I was clearly looking and holding on to the bottles of Giovanni condish and yet she puts down my choice and tries to diagnose my so-called hair problem so she can sell the expensive poo. If someone walked in with no clue about what brand to get, I wouldn't fault her for trying to pitch something, but I had already made my choice, so wouldn't it be a waste of effort trying to make me get something else I don't want?

The irony of it all was that she had a pixie crop heavily spiked up with lots of pomade.

vindo
March 29th, 2010, 11:29 PM
That is extremely rude...I would have (nicely) put her in her place..I don't think she is going to sell with insults.

The irony of it all was that she had a pixie crop heavily spiked up with lots of pomade.
Yup these are of the dangerous kind...:D I had a hairstylist like that once, and she ruined my hair...or tried to, but close. I responded with a lawsuit.

I'm glad your shedding reduced. Do you know what caused it?

After I finally found out what caused my shedding it was stopped in a heartbeat. I actually shedding less than I have been for years.

IcarusBride
March 30th, 2010, 01:24 AM
What a rude woman!! If I was window shopping at a store in the mall and a sales person from the plus-size clothes shop across the way shouts "Oh, don't bother going in there, you're too fat for all their clothes, come over here instead, we sell your size!" I would also not go. It's the same thing! What makes ANYONE think telling their customer there's something wrong with them is going to sell them something???

Aditi
March 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
That was rude :mad: and i don't think she will go very far in her "sales" carrer if she continued this type of behaviour with other customers.

JenniferNoel
March 30th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Common sense sales rule of thumb #1:
Never insult the customer!

julliams
March 30th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hey I got told the same thing - I was trying to buy a boar bristle brush. My hair was up and the lady said to me that because my hair was thin....... blah blah blah.

Take a look at my siggy and tell me I have thin hair - lol.

Sometimes I think they just say something to make you feel as though you need to buy a product. Or else they don't know what else to say??? I'm not sure.

Don't worry. I felt the same way - I just chalked it up to experience and learned that I am best at doing my own hair typing.

Xandergrammy
March 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Ewww she was nasty and rude and not a very good salesperson. I don't know if I could have been as polite as you were.

adiapalic
March 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I don't blame you for taking offense. What she said was a bit too presumptuous--there are many people who have your hair type, and it doesn't mean anything is "wrong".

:flower:

akurah
March 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Perhaps this is evil of me, but I'd LOVE for a saleslady to call my hair thin. I'd be all, "oh, really now?" and if her hair was long enough, tell her to stick her fingers in her hair, (and if her hands were clean enough) then into mine. That said, my hair doesn't really LOOK all that thin, so it's unlikely, but depending on how careful I am with updos, I get scalp cleavage (which most seem to think is a thin hair-only problem, its not, just more common with thin hair), which could trick her. Nevertheless the lady was a grade-A idiot.

FrannyG
March 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I feel your pain. When I was 20, and before I became a cosmetician myself, I had a face full of cystic acne, which went on for years and was the bane of my existence. The girl at the Clinique counter said, "My, you have a skin problem." In this case, it was true, but did she think I didn't know it? I felt terrible, as I was treating it in the best ways possible.

In your case, it was completely unwarranted, untrue and rude. Lots of people have naturally fine and somewhat thinner hair. I never would sell anything in that manner. I hope she never receives your custom. :steam

MandyBeth
March 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Grrr, I HATE those types! I get the other side - how to make your hair flat or how if I use THEIR product and the blowfryer and the straightener that I can get rid of my "annoying" waves.

I don't find my waves or curl attempts annoying, I rather like them. It also doesn't matter how much moisture I dump in my hair, the more I put in, the more it curls. So I'd either have to use a heavy conditioner to weigh my hair down so it's flat - but then it's wavier. Or I could use a clarifying shampoo and no conditioner and blowfry and straighten my hair. But then it screams and poofs up again trying to protect itself.

Or the "Well, your hair is too thick, we have to use thinning scissors to manage it." And all the little damaged crying ends will poof up again and then it's worse.