PDA

View Full Version : interesting routine of a pensioner

pdy2kn6
March 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I just stumbled across an article on a lady who has not touched her hair for 50 years (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2522135/Pensioner-hasnt-cut-hair-for-50-years.html). In the article it says she only washes her hair once every 6 months.... Wow, and I thought that 2 weeks was long for me. She also said she only takes it down 2 times a year (when she washes it). I wonder if she just doesn't touch her hair after putting it in a bun, i.e. sleeping with her hair in the same bun she has worn all day everyday. I wish I could find a bun as secure as that!!! Her hair looks in amazing conditioner.

marzipanthecat
March 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I remember there were a number of articles in all the newspapers in the UK a couple of years ago (I just did a quick Google search and pulled up a whole load from August 2008, I think the Telegraph article is from then as well).

Does anyone know what she's up to now? Does she still have long hair?

Nae
March 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM
That is amazing! Her hair is so beautiful.

countryhopper
March 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Her hair looks gorgeous! And I love the color, too!

i thought I remember reading (on this board?) how baby shampoo is actually very strong since it has to get out sticky things babies might get into their hair.... anyhow, her hair looks like it's in great condition!

Fethenwen
March 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Wow, I think she as a whole looks to be in a very good condition for a 70 year old :heart:

julliams
March 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
It's funny to me that my flute teacher (late 60's) said to me today that when you are older it's better to have shorter hair because it makes you look younger but when I look at this lady in the article, I think she looks so youthful. I'm certain that if she had a shorter style, she would look older.

I don't think I could only wash twice a year though. I'm thinking about the serious shedding one would have given that the average head loses 100 hairs per day.

julliams
March 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Actually looking at the photo, I think it may be from 1986 judging from the caption so I'm not sure that she is 70 in that particular photo. Did I get that right?

SHELIAANN1969
March 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
It looks like the article was from Aug. 8, 2008, but they were just saying she won *best hair* in 1986.

I don't see how anyone could have hair that well kept, and not touch it for 6 months at a time. My hair gets mussed, tangled, bits of fuzz and various items, even when it's in a bun.

She has to comb and detangle at least once a week, and distribute the sebum, or her scalp would be caked with stuff and her hair would have chunks.

I think they glossed over a couple of things, more or less saying she doesn't wash her hair except once every 6 months and she doesn't cut it.

I have to say, she lookd great for being 70! Her hair looks stunning as well, that's why I am fairly positive she has to brush it or distribute the sebum in some way, at least once a week or so, or her hair would be matted.

minnie may
March 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM
jep, she has to let it down and detangle more than twice a year or by at least month 2 her hair would become matted and develop unruly dreads and nests.

mellie
March 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
She is lovely and I love her hair color!

hendrix.co
March 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM
thanks for sharing!

Peter
March 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
She looks way younger than 70!

Awesome hair too. :)

serious
March 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM
She looks beautiful and way younger than most ladies of her age!
Awesome!

Btw, my mom is 82, her hair is about shoulder length, she wears it up all the time, washes it about once in three or four months and it looks gorgeous! ( there is a picture of her (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2446&pictureid=59912), wearing an old hairpin, in my album )

pdy2kn6
March 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Her hair looks gorgeous! And I love the color, too!

i thought I remember reading (on this board?) how baby shampoo is actually very strong since it has to get out sticky things babies might get into their hair.... anyhow, her hair looks like it's in great condition!

I guess two times a year doesn't cause too much damage to the condition.... lol

misstwist
March 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
She is lovely and I love her hair color!

Mellie, yours is going to be that lovely steel gray and I would give my eyeteeth for that color. :D

starlights
March 31st, 2010, 05:34 PM
that ladies hair is fab considering her age and how she looks after it.... hmmm maybe i shud only wash my hair twice a year (but i think my hair would stink !) ha!

Fiferstone
March 31st, 2010, 06:31 PM
look closely at the picture in the article, her texture is quite coarse and probably not as prone to tangles, also she says it's bunned 'tightly' most of the time. As a finey, if I skip one day of combing, I've got the beginnings of a dreadlock, not in a good way.

Fractalsofhair
March 31st, 2010, 06:36 PM
I think she's saying that it takes her 2-3 hours to detangle normally, which is why she so rarely uses baby shampoo on it. I'm guessing she detangles it whenever she puts it in a new bun(So daily or so?), or she might rinse it in the shower? WO washing is quite effective for many members here.

Vermelha
April 1st, 2010, 07:52 PM
This post has me thinking...I wonder if anyone else would do this. I actually wouldn't mind not washing my hair for quite a long time, since my hair is coarse and dry. It might actually be beneficial. (Hops on over to NW thread...)