PDA

View Full Version : oiling/conditioning above the ears?

gink001
March 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hi, does anyone ever oil/condition the hair length above the ears? My scalp is fine, not itchy or dry, but the hair there feels a bit dry...the length below feels lovely.
I wash the scalp with AO shampoo, condition below ears with AO conditioner, rinse, apply a wee bit of coconut oil thru bottom length when wet...all once weekly (twice max).
I apply coconut oil daily on the bottom length (on dry hair).
Thanks!

Kaijah
March 28th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Yup, I condition and oil every inch of my hair on regular basis - I have dry, thirsty hair, though.

You could also try conditioner-only washing (even if you just alternate with shampooing) to help keep away dryness.

ravenreed
March 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I oil everything, including my scalp when I get crud buildup on my scalp. Oiling my scalp seems to help the buildup break up and get washed away when I CO.

SimplyAmanda
March 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I do sometimes, maybe once a month or so. Walking a fine line recently between oily buildup scalp and very dry scalp with lots of frizzies, so my hair "routine" changes quite a bit depending on what it needs that day. But that happy medium between oily and dry is just so incredibly happy!

paperwhite
March 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I always condition tip to root. If I don't condition my roots I end up with tangles right near my scalp that are painful and difficult to comb out.

NuclearMosquito
March 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
What I do is, after spreading conditioner through my length, I run my hands lightly over the rest of my hair. That way it gets a light coating of conditioner, not enough to weigh it down but enough to help it stay soft and manageable.

little_cherry
March 28th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I both oil and condition my scalp. Massaging feels so good!

mellie89
March 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I oil everything overnight before washing. Conditioner on my scalp gives me flat, lank hair no matter what and can also make me shed like crazy. Therefore, it stays below my ears. :p

Gumball
March 28th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Yes and yes. My hair likes drinking stuff up, so a cone-free conditioner and coconut oil are always in my list of "things currently being used." I don't always use shampoo, and when I do it's on specific parts of my scalp I feel need it. The rest of it needs something, too, and that's where conditioner fills it in quite nicely.

GoddesJourney
March 29th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I condition root to tip. I rarely oil, but I will the oil everywhere.

geosangel
March 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I oil once a week (usually on Friday night) with coconut oil, and leave it in overnight. In the morning I CO wash. My hair and scalp always feel so much better (more moisture) afterward. Then on Sunday I use SMT as a treat. By Monday my hair and scalp are really happy, which keeps me really happy. ;)

Madonna-Fan
March 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Yesterday I did a deep conditioning with some conditioners mixed (German ones) and I did it on all my hair except from the roots and the scalp. Before I washed twice with a Sante-shampoo (German organic shampoo). I havenīt felt any negative aspect about that...
Normally I give conditioner not just below the ears but in my lengths (they are still bleached from 1,5 years ago) and because my hair is just shoulder-long there might be also some condi above my ears but not on the scalp.

Yours, Timmy

Vermelha
March 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I've always conditioned and oiled above the ears, of course avoiding the roots.

Carolyn
March 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I oil and condition roots to tips. Years ago I didn't because I was listening to beauty magazine garbage that said to just condition from the ears down. The hair above my ears was tangled like crazy after washing. Now I CO a lot of the time. Both conditioners are applied root to tip. When I do a heavy oiling, it's root to tip also. My second conditioner in a CO wash and conditioner applied after using shampoo is used the same way. My hair eats the stuff. It can't get enough. My hair refuses to be weighed down.

Sunny_side_up
March 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I condition the whole length, when it comes to oiling, the coconut oil will go on the ends. When i did olive oiling i put it all over my hair

gink001
March 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies! Sometimes I get information overload, and forget common sense :o)

Rhiannon7
March 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I always do oil and condish above the ears as much as below. i've never been able to not use condish on all the hair, scalp to roots or it gets all tangled and dry and breaks like crazy. i tried not applying condish to the scalp, and within 2 days i had to cut all the hair to shoulders because it looked so damaged and tangled and so dry, it basically stood up on end! so always apply condish and oil from scalp to ends.

kwaniesiam
March 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
No matter how long my hair I've always conditioned roots to tips.

Merewen
March 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I usually just oil the length because my scalp hair is pretty moisturized by itself, but if your scalp hair is dry, I would definitely give it a shot. If the oil or conditioner doesn't bother your scalp, then there is no harm in oiling above the ears.

MandyBeth
March 29th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Since I've got really disagreeable sebum production (as in thick gooky stuff that doesn't coat the hair at all), I wash that out, and use conditioner/oil over my entire hair and scalp.