PDA

View Full Version : What are your best "weapons" against hair breakage?

juliaxena
March 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I want to know all about your best methods against hair breakage. What do you baby it with to prevent it? My hair has such a nice start I don't want it to start breaking. And I heard fine hair is more likely to break than split? Thanks for your replys.

Arctic_Mama
March 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
My best weapons against hair breakage are as follows:

- I only comb, and do that very gently, never forcing through a tangle.
- MINIMAL handling when wet, NO wet combing if I can help it, as hair is much more fragile when wet.
- I use hair friendly toys, like hair pins, hair sticks, soft scrunchies and the metal free large hair elastics (infrequently, only when I braid).
- I don't heatstyle or tease

These things were harder when my hair was shorter, because I couldn't wear it up constantly to protect it, but the basic principles were the same. Minimize handling of it and mechanical damage, and choose toys and styles that don't damage individual follicles or put bends in the hair (no more heavy, high ponytails held with elastics, if I can help it!).

EbonyCurls
March 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mine are:
-finger detangle
-pre-shampoo conditioner rinse/detangle
-condition, wash, condition has greatly increased health, and limited mechanical damage
-wet and seal my hair at least twice a week. If I don't soak my hair in water followed by a leave-in conditioner at least every few days it become split and dry on the ends.
-don't comb it dry (for curly hair)
-don't use heat
-sleep on satin pillow case
-trim at least once a year (especially for my curly/afro hair) because its cuticles are naturally exposed and it doesn't take long for the ends to wear.
-weekly search and destroys

SilvraShadows
March 28th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I handle my ultra fine hair very carefully and not excessively. Moisturizers are a must and some oil treatments (on the length only) to seal in that moisture helps a lot. I mostly use combs, either made of wood or horn. I brush rarely but when I do it is usually only my scalp, then skip the mid section and gather up the ends and brush those. Lots of deeper treatments help too.

I don't have any splits, even when my hair was much longer than it is now split ends were rare. By taking my own sweet time to comb it or style it keeps it from breaking as well. I think the main key to prevent breakage is moisturizer and gentle handling.

gmdiaz
March 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Besides all the great suggestions you're received so far. . I would add:

I noticed a dramatic improvement in my hair's strength in just a couple of applications of AO Island Naturals conditioner. I think it's the biotin in it.

TXbarbie
March 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I don't really have any weapons - I only use conditioner, detangler, and Herbal Essences' split end serum on my hair.

But after I gave up the blow dryer and straightener my hair is so much healthier.

sophistiCat *
March 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I stopped washing my hair as frequently and as vigorously with shampoo. I've worked from standard shampoo and conditioner to cwc and now I'm co, and that's helping the condition of my hair. Jojoba oil helps me too, as well as giving up heat and only using a comb and a bbb.

nycstar
March 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM
You've gotten great suggestions so far. Luckily, I really don't get too many split ends. I wash my hair & let it air dry.

xxaimsxx
March 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Invest in a good conditioner. I think people only need shampoo and conditioner. No hairspray, mousse etc. I'm not a fan as i know how much stuff is in them. It does your hair more harm than good.
I remember constantly putting serum in my hair to make it healthy... less is more! And eating healthy does WAY more good for your hair than any products..
Get a good brush and dont brush it 100 times like the silly saying.

Someone said something on another site like 'treat your hair like you would a piece of lace' and its true!

Phalaenopsis
March 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I have fine hair too and it's very prone to breakage. I used a curling iron once and boom, I got significantly more splits... I even have this fantastic brush with wooden quills, no litte ball on the end, but still, my hair got splits from it just because you can get rougher with a brush more easily.

You have straight hair, so do not comb it when wet. Protein can also help to strengthen the hair shaft. Most fine hairs notice a difference when using more protein. I did too.

Find a good detangler. Fine hairs tangle very quickly. Tangles = split ends. I had to find this out the hard way :(

jera
March 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I find castor oil beneficial and when combing, I comb backwards with two hands. From the bottom up. Sounds nuts but this avoids tangles and potential breakage. :p

julliams
March 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I don't have fine hair but in the last 6 months I have done everything I thought was right for my hair - no heat, no SLS, no cones, S & D often, SMT once a week, Coconut soak once a week, oils daily. What happened? Splits everywhere. The last time I remember having splits was when I was about 19. I'm now 36 so that's a long time ago.

Here's my theory. I hadn't had my hair cut in about a year - cut it today - made a big difference. Plus without the cones on my hair I think it was more prone to splits as it didn't have it's usual coney defense.

I notice you do use coney conditioner. So I would suggest not raking a brush through without thinking about it ( you know, be super gentle) and also getting it trimmed say, every 6 months or so. I'm going back to cones and I'll see if that makes a difference - test my own theory.

chotee
March 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Oiling can be a great weapon. I love to oil heavy the day before my wash....i use castor oil mixed with coconut oil. the next best thing is to keep it tied up like a braid or an updo.

kdaniels8811
March 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I cannot believe no one has brought up catnip tea soaks. My fine, thin hair actually grew and stopped breaking when I started conditioning with catnip instead of conventional coditioner. Prevents split ends, too! There is a hugh thread on it, basically it is pet store quality catnip. Make a tea with a spoonful in boiling water, let it cool and strain, put your hair in a ponytail and soak the tail in the tea by putting it into a plastic baggie for a half hour or so. This replaces conditioners. Rinse out - don't shampoo it out! and repeat every few days. The difference in breakage and split ends was very surprising. Good luck!!

Aquamarine
March 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Okay, my best weapons are:

I don't use a brush anymore. Changing from a brush to comb was the nicest thing I've done to my hair. I comb out my tangles gently. But that's just me..if you find a brush more "hair friendly" use it. I think it kinda depends on your hair type and all.:p
I treat my hair ever so gently when it's wet.
I air dry..so no heat.
I try to wear my hair up most of the time. And I love the way my ends feel. When I used to wear it down in braids or loose, my ends were a mess. Imagine the wear and tear they get by just rubbing against stuff.
Also, if my hair feels a bit dry I use a tiny weeny amount of camilla oil or coconut oil. It makes my hair soft.
Finally, baby your hair. Treat it like a piece of antique lace.
Good luck!:D

Purdy Bear
March 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I dont wash the little hair I have, I just run the hot water over my scalp and pat it dry. Im trying to build up the oil on my scalp as its dry.

I sleep in a silk scarf, and have just got four silk pillowcases to try over the next few weeks. Iv also worn the scarves during the day, as normal ones are usually polyester or nylon and make the head itch.

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Updos, good quality horn combs, a good BBB, frequent (2-3x/week) dustings and extreme care! I also have to wash frequently or it begins to tangle and then I start getting terrible breakage in the shower. I also got some good charmeuse silk and made myself some silk pillow cases, which leave my hair nice and soft in the morning no matter how much I toss or turn.

Vermelha
March 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Doing nothing for a long time. I only style my hair on wash day and it's in that style for 3-4 days. When it gets frizzy or weird looking, I just oil it and put it up in a high pony or some sort of updo until the next wash. I also don't use very many products. It's just a gentle shampoo, conditioner and oils. I feel like oils have really strengthened my hair.

Carolyn
March 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Mine are:
-heavy overnight oils followed by a long CO soak in the morning.
-lots and lots of moisturizing conditioners.
- frequent S & D sessions
-minimal heat styling
-updo's a lot of the time especially on windy days
-no plastic ball tipped brushes, they are death to my hair
-

harpgal
March 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Because my hair is so fine, I have trouble with breakage. To minimize it, I:

1. use a Madora wide tooth comb
2. hold my comb with 2-3 fingers, keeping my wrist very loose
3. comb very slowly with the teeth of the comb pointed slightly up
4. oil the bottom 12 inches every day with coconut oil
5. never whip a comb or brush quickly off the ends
6. start de-tangling by gently pulling the wet ropes of hair apart

Rhiannon7
March 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
My best weapons against breakage and damage are: Wood comb, Shea Butter and almond oil daily, deep moisture treatments once a week, wash only once a week, protein treatment once every 12 to 16 weeks, clarify once every 3 months ( or as needed.) wearing hair in braid or bun 99 % of the time, sleeping with a braid and satin pillow case, gently detangling wet with wood comb, and most important is treating hair like it was very antique lace. no pulling, no tearing, no heat.

I also use cones condish, trim whenever i feel hair needs it (between 4 to 8 months. but have gone without a trim for 1 year sometimes. ) a tiny 1 inch trim can do miracles on how hair feels. also learning what your hair likes and does not like is important, because if your hair does not like protein and you give it protein too often it will rebel. just try and make changes slowly, change 1 thing at a time to see how hair responds.

That's my advice, how i got my hair to behave and respond well. it takes time and patience but it is the best when you know exactly what your hair needs and demands and what it hates.