PDA

View Full Version : The Cadogan Braid

skay
March 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I'm slowly trying a few new updos.

As a I was reading a book, I came across something called a "Cadogan Braid".

Google results:

Not much out there.

However, it seems that, in general, it is something that is attached to the main hairstyle.

---------------------------------------------------
Example (though it refers to a wig rather than a braid):

http://www.maisonsaint-gabriel.qc.ca/en/b/page_b_5a_c18_02.html

Cadogan wig
The cadogan wig was a small pad of rolled hair. This fake chignon was tied to the person’s real hair with a ribbon.

---------------------------------------------------

However, the entry in the book I was reading makes it sound like something totally different. See quotation below.

Book: Emily Climbs
Author: L.M. Montgomery. This is the author of the Anne of Green Gables series. (If you loved that series you'll love this particular "Emily" series as well!)

Quotation from the book:

"Emily, with skirts a fraction longer and her hair clubbed up so high in the "Cadogan Braid" of those days, that it really was almost "up", was back in Shrewsbury for her Junior year..."

--------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what this Cadogan Braid is??

In the above quotation, it sounds pretty intriguing! :)

Wavelength
March 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I love the Emily series. :D

I looked it up once, but it was awhile ago so I can't remember the site offhand. IIRC it was another name for the French braid. So my guess from the quotation was that she braided her hair in a French braid and tucked the tail under. Therefore it wouldn't have been what they'd call "up" exactly, but it would have been "almost up".

Not sure that's correct but it made sense, to me at least.

Diamondbell
March 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I have been reading about this recently: in French it is the "catogan" (meaning = male hairdo with a pigtail and ribbon). I am yet to see it though! May be these?
http://www.cfa.ilstu.edu/lmlowel/THE331/Rococo/Menreview.htm

Wavelength
March 28th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I have been reading about this recently: in French it is the "catogan" (meaning = male hairdo with a pigtail and ribbon). I am yet to see it though! May be these?
http://www.cfa.ilstu.edu/lmlowel/THE331/Rococo/Menreview.htm

That's not a braid though... :confused:

Athena's Owl
March 28th, 2010, 02:26 AM
*blink* maybe that's a regional thing, but pigtail=braid when I grew up. It meant a single, fairly short braid like you'd see on a periwig, but pigtail def. meant a braided tail.

Kuchen
March 28th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I think the French explanation makes sense. A catogan might not have been a braid when men wore it in one century, but when women wore it at a later period, they would have had to braid in order not to have loose hair.

Incidentally, random fact, a Cadogan teapot (http://www.puzzlemuseum.com/month/picm04/200405welsh.htm)is one which is filled from underneath. It's attributed to Lord or Lady Cadogan, so I expect it took just one misunderstanding or mishearing to transform the Catogan style into a Cadogan, and another step to braid the pig tail.

Kuchen
March 28th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Oh no! I wrote a long reply about catogan and cadogan and cadogan teapots and now it's lost. I think the Frenc explanation is best - a simple corruption turned it from catogan to cadogan. And a lady would have avoided loose hair, hence it became a braid.

dropinthebucket
March 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Someone needs to tell Jessica Simpson about this ... I think she believes she "invented" hair extensions! :)

celelu
March 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM
My DBF, who's a eighteenth-century freak, always wears his APL hair in a low ponytail, held by a black silk ribbon he calls, in french, Catogan. There's an article on the french Wikipedia that seems to make order in the ideas that were brought here, let's see if I can translate it properly:

Le catogan est un noeud utilisé pour attacher les cheveux en une coiffure ramassée sur la nuque. Par extension, il désigne une coiffure où les cheveux sont attachés et ramassés sur la nuque. Le mot fut créé au xviiie siècle, à partir de Cadhogan, nom du général et comte anglais qui mit cette coiffure à la mode.
Au xviiie siècle, en Europe, le catogan semble avoir la forme d'une queue de cheval basse, très courante chez les soldats, les domestiques...
En Asie, très porté et ses sens sont très divers.
Actuellement, le mot catogan est plutôt utilisé pour désigner une sorte de large chignon bas.

The Catogan in a knot used to tie hair into an updo brought togheter on the nape. By extension, it can refer to that updo. The word was created in the eighteenth century, from Cadhogan, name of the English general and count that brought this hair setting into fashion.
In the eighteenth century, in Europe, the catogan seems to have the shape of a low ponytail, very common among soldiers, servants...
Nowadays, the word catogan refers mostly to a kind of wide low bun.

HTH! :p

celelu
March 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Oops I forgot a line! It says: In Asia, very common and its meanings are various. (It doesn't make much sense in French neither, actually...)
So what I suppose about the catogan braid, and what I saw on historical reconstitution weekends, is men who braid their (APL to BSL) hair and tie it with a catogan in a bow. I don't think adult women would wear their hair in a braid out of home at that time, rather in a coiffe or a more elaborate updo.

dropinthebucket
March 28th, 2010, 11:46 AM
A picture of the catogan/cadogan here:

http://www.theweebsite.com/garb/pec/pec82.html

"queue," also meaning pigtail.

Wavelength
March 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
*blink* maybe that's a regional thing, but pigtail=braid when I grew up. It meant a single, fairly short braid like you'd see on a periwig, but pigtail def. meant a braided tail.

Hmm, I guess it is regional. Where I grew up, a pigtail just meant a short tail, sometimes one that had been deliberately curled (to look more like a real pig's tail, I assume). Usually they'd come in pairs, high up on either side of the head -- therefore they were mostly called "pigtails" in the plural. A ponytail was a larger tail, and usually single, at the back of the head.

Pigtails were usually worn by little girls but not always. Sometimes they were braided but not usually. So when I hear "pigtail" I think of a high, unbraided, short ponytail. Yay regional differences.

Merlin
March 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
The Cadogan Hotel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadogan_Hotel) was where Oscar Wilde was arrested...

"Mr Wilde we have come for to take you
Where thieves and criminals dwell
We must ask you to come quietly
For this is the Cadogan Hotel"
John Betjamin

serious
March 28th, 2010, 12:19 PM
The 18th century man's Cadogan wig (http://www.costumes.org/history/18thcent/accessories/wigs/clubdiderot.gif)

More hairstyles and hats from the same period:
http://gallery.villagehatshop.com/gallery/chapter11

rusika1
March 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
"Emily, with skirts a fraction longer and her hair clubbed up so high in the "Cadogan Braid" of those days, that it really was almost "up", was back in Shrewsbury for her Junior year..."

And

The 18th century man's Cadogan wig

I don't think it's a french braid. If you look at the picture in the first link Serious posted, you'll see that the queue is folded up and tied, or clubbed. I suspect Emily's braid was folded and tied in such a way that it was essentially a low bun on the nape of her neck.

ETA: Yep, definitely a clubbed queue, look at the rest of the Cadogan picture links. The hair is clearly folded and tied. (The clearest viewis on page three, top righthand side of the page, on the second link posted by Serious.

Oh, and ponytails were always loose hair (often, but not always, high on the head) and you would wear either one or two of them. Pigtails were braids, usually two but could be one. I always thought they were called pigtails because, if you follow any of the strands in the braid, they're wiggly, like a pig's tail. Could be regional, I'm from Southern California with a mom from the Midwest; so it might be from either of those places. (Or both!)

Arctic_Mama
March 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Fascinating!

Kat
March 28th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I know we've had this discussion before, but to me pigtails always meant two braids (like I'm wearing right now). And yes, I'm from the Midwest.

Although to me I guess "pigtails" always had the connotation of two braids on a little girl...on an adult it would just be called "two braids." But maybe that's because adults rarely wear two braids (probably BECAUSE they're considered little-girl-ish--even now I wonder if I should, esp. since I spend so much time bemoaning how young I look, I probably ought not to be helping), or because nobody would want to describe an adult woman as wearing "pigtails."

prettydark
March 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I thought I'd enter the side discussion. Where I'm from:

'A ponytail' is one single tail gathered high or low, it can be center back, or on the side, but it is singular. When braided, it is a 'braided ponytail'.

'Pigtails' are two ponytails on either side and can be oriented high or low, they can be short or long, straight or curly. They can also be braided, becoming, wait for it, 'braided pigtails'.

'Braids' or more accurately 'twin braids' are two braids. Not getting into the different styles of braids.

The main thing differentiating 'braided pigtails' from 'twin braids' for me is that braided pigtails have the against-the-scalp elastic or tie.

skay
March 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks, everyone for their contributions and chiming in to help solve this puzzle.

Wow, it's great to get answers from people from different parts of the world!

Oh no! I wrote a long reply about catogan and cadogan and cadogan teapots and now it's lost. I think the French explanation is best - a simple corruption turned it from catogan to cadogan. And a lady would have avoided loose hair, hence it became a braid.

After reading everyone's response, I believe Kuchen's response above gives a simple summary and resolution.

To further elaborate:

Emily, the character in the book, said it was a braid from "those days", so it may have very well been the case she modified the "Cadogan" to have a braid so as to be appropriate for that time, region and gender; and then folded it up multiple times (or as the author says "clubbed it").

My DBF, who's a eighteenth-century freak, always wears his APL hair in a low ponytail, held by a black silk ribbon he calls, in french, Catogan. There's an article on the french Wikipedia that seems to make order in the ideas that were brought here, let's see if I can translate it properly:

Le catogan est un noeud utilisé pour attacher les cheveux en une coiffure ramassée sur la nuque. Par extension, il désigne une coiffure où les cheveux sont attachés et ramassés sur la nuque. Le mot fut créé au xviiie siècle, à partir de Cadhogan, nom du général et comte anglais qui mit cette coiffure à la mode.
Au xviiie siècle, en Europe, le catogan semble avoir la forme d'une queue de cheval basse, très courante chez les soldats, les domestiques...
En Asie, très porté et ses sens sont très divers.
Actuellement, le mot catogan est plutôt utilisé pour désigner une sorte de large chignon bas.

The Catogan in a knot used to tie hair into an updo brought togheter on the nape. By extension, it can refer to that updo. The word was created in the eighteenth century, from Cadhogan, name of the English general and count that brought this hair setting into fashion.
In the eighteenth century, in Europe, the catogan seems to have the shape of a low ponytail, very common among soldiers, servants...
Nowadays, the word catogan refers mostly to a kind of wide low bun.

HTH! :p

Thanks for the translation celelu. It was helpful to see the historical background as well as how the word is used today -- in order to understand what the author in the book may have meant. :)

By the way, that's cool your DBF wears a black satin ribbon around a low ponytail. I admire a guy who can pull that off!

Someone needs to tell Jessica Simpson about this ... I think she believes she "invented" hair extensions! :)

LOL. Right?! :D

The Cadogan Hotel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadogan_Hotel) was where Oscar Wilde was arrested...

"Mr Wilde we have come for to take you
Where thieves and criminals dwell
We must ask you to come quietly
For this is the Cadogan Hotel"
John Betjamin

Nice quote! The historical article was an interesting read, too. :cool:

Thank you to everyone!

Skay

Regarding pigtails, ponytails, braids, etc. terminology, check out these Archived Posts/Polls:

The Pigtail Poll (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37401)

PIGtails? PONYtails?! (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18937)

How do you call that? (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60324)