PDA

View Full Version : My texture is changing! Why?

C_Bookworm
March 27th, 2010, 10:49 PM
So I have been a 2c/3a ever since I hit puberty. Before that I was a 1c. In the last year or so, I have noticed that my hair has been gradually straightening more and more. I find it odd, because my routine really hasn't changed. Anyone have any ideas on why? I'm hoping its something I can reverse, I honestly am a lot less comfortable with straight hair.

Here is my hair care routine:
CWC twice a week, CO the rest of the time(daily)

paul mitchess "the conditioner" leave in, sweet almond oil on the ends, use a mister bottle of aloe vera gel/evoo/water a couple times a day depending on the humidity.

I have been hennaing monthly, just switched a couple months ago to hendigo.

Also, I moved towns about a year ago, this town does have harder water.

TIA for the help!

Wanderer09
March 27th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Henna has been known to loosen curls, so maybe that's the culprit. :) Also, maybe your hair just naturally straightens out as it gets longer. If this is your first time growing it to longer lengths, it could be the first time you're seeing it happen.

Avalin
March 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Usually hormones are to blame for a true change in texture. (my hair got curlier through puberty also) Pregnancy affects texture (let's hope you haven't been pregnant for a year, haha). And sometimes hormones just change randomly (this can be in response to diet or other environmental factors). Obviously there isn't anything you can do it it is hormone-related. I would say that if you haven't changed routines it is probably just your body being weird. Have you changed your diet or anything?

Avalin
March 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, birth control would affect it too!

C_Bookworm
March 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I am on birth control, have been on the same one for almost 3 years though. My diet has changed significantly in the last year, I've had a lot restricted out, specifically fried foods, dairy, high fat foods, non-soluble fiber, artificial sweeteners.

-j-
March 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I´m not an expert, but it sounds to me that your new henna colour might be the one to blame.

My hair has become more rough after I stopped colouring it! I didn´t expect it because when still colouring, my hair was long (>waist), and I had CHI and an all-head bleach. When I stopped colouring I also cut it short. Those artificial colours with silicones in them, must´ve must have coated my hair very effectively.

My uncle is a fine example of how hormones can affect hair. He had something like 1a as a young boy, but when he turned 16, his hair suddenly became about 3c!!! Think about that!

jera
March 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Henna has been known to loosen curls, so maybe that's the culprit. :) Also, maybe your hair just naturally straightens out as it gets longer. If this is your first time growing it to longer lengths, it could be the first time you're seeing it happen.

True. As your hair gets longer the weight tends to straighten it.

I am on birth control, have been on the same one for almost 3 years though. My diet has changed significantly in the last year, I've had a lot restricted out, specifically fried foods, dairy, high fat foods, non-soluble fiber, artificial sweeteners.

Quitting all those foods shouldn't cause your hair to straighten. Non soluble fiber is actually good for your hair because most of those veggies have high vitamin C content which increases blood flow to the head. But the BC could cause hair changes. I don't know if it will straighten a person's hair. :rolleyes:

pdy2kn6
March 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM
My hair is also changing I noticed. Ever since about 2years ago my hair has been growing out stick straight, I am enjoying the change though..

MonikaHa
March 28th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I would also blame the hormones, every couple of years your body goes through some changes, and for me one of them was also change in hair texture and a massive shed.
Right now, after having a baby, my hair got waaay darker and coarser.
Darn hormones!

Keildra
April 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Mine changes because of hair weight, it's probably going to get straighter as it gets longer but I guess there's a lot more contributing