PDA

View Full Version : Your personal method for coping with STATIC, FLYAWAY LOCKS, pleeeeease!!

Celebrian
March 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am going mad here! I have done everything I can think of to combat this static in my hair. What else can I do? Please read and advise:

I have washed less often
Washed more often
Used plenty of condtioner
Used none whatsoever
No brushing and only finger-combing
Tried some brushing after all
Pre-shampoo treatments
Plain S&C washing
Oiling hair prior to S&C
Oiling a bit afterwards, instead
Put it up regularly
Taken it down and just left it alone!
Hennaed once (about 5 weeks ago). Hair very happy then - lost it's happiness now!

The list could probably go on, but I'll stop here for a while!

Oh, I never, ever use a hairdryer/straighteners or anything of that nature. Help? :(

contradiction
March 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM
The ONLY THING that helps me is flatironing and blowdrying. That is the only way to kill the frizz in my hair. You might just have to learn to live with it. . . .silicone serums help too.

Gumball
March 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Have you left in conditioner post-shower? Have you tried aloe gel or even regular gel? Have you misted (like using Kimberlily's defrizz spray)?

Liss
March 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
What about dryer sheets, I've read on this forum previously that they work.

Debra83
March 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
What about static guard?

aef231
March 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I've used dryer sheets before. Just run one down your hair a few times, I find it makes a big difference :) HTH

Gabriel
March 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Is it really dry where you are? I notice I get a lot of static if it's really dry. I usually have a humidifier on during the drier seasons and that helps some.

The defrizz spray also worked sometimes for me.

Debra83
March 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Anti-Static ION Brushes!!

BranwenWolf
March 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Braiding. I french braid two braids, starting up near my forehead.
Most strands fit in there.

iris
March 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I think it depends a lot on what kind of climate you live in, but for me in this climate (which should be similar to yours), what works best for me is using a conditioner with a quat somewhat high up on the ingredients list. I use a Schwarzkopf conditioner with quaternium-80 in it right now, and/or a leave-in that has some other quat high up on the list. Quats are antistatic.

Conditioners with humectants high up on the list, like glycerin, give me major frizz.

Gumball already mentioned Kimberlily's defrizz spray, that's a good one to try :agree:.

In winter I also pay a lot of attention to the indoor climate, I line dry my laundry and sometimes just wet towels and hang them out to get some moisture into the air. House plants help, too. But we're out of the dry cold now here (40% hunidity indoors now) so I don't know if that would help you right now.

GuinevereMay
March 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've had good luck smoothing my hair down with a yak's horn comb. I used to have static issues, too.

Peter
March 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
When my hair gets frizzy and static, I tend to braid it and leave it alone. It doesn't really solve the problem though, it just avoids it.

Honestwitness
March 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I scrunch in Organix Coconut Milk Mousse on my damp hair, after washing.I usually diffuser-dry on low heat alternating with no heat, until it's barely damp and air dry the rest of the way.

I wash (either SC or CO) every other day. I need the moisture of the fully wet head every other day, or my hair gets too dry and static-y. The Organix has coconut milk, coconut oil, egg whites, cones, and other ingredients I can't remember.

With this routine, I made it all the way through a cold, dry winter with no static ever.

The static, if I do get it, is always worst after using SLS shampoo, which I do every once in a while to clarify. To avoid the extra dryness on those days, I just use extra Organix mousse and/or leave-in conditioner after towel drying.

Juliannaissance
March 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Try brushing with a natural boar bristle brush and then put it into a low braid. Works like a charm for me. :cheese:

Cailie
March 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
wood comb for me and no static (:

johnnysgirl
March 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I live in an extremely dry, cold, and windy climate. What works for me is to apply a little more lotion to my hands than I need, and smooth the remainder over my length. Works well for me, and I think it helps moisturize my hair too.

lapushka
March 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Maybe using a little bit of regular gel, leave-in cream, styling cream, wax or aloe vera gel will help? Don't use too much, though, a drop a time (rub between hands and gently smooth it out over your hair), otherwise it will get either too dry or too greasy.

When I was younger, when I had static hair, I used to use hairspray. It would calm it down.

Capybara
March 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Anti-Static ION Brushes!!

Lifesavers!!

I second spritzing, though. You can get anti-static spray for clothing, and while I wouldn't recommend putting it on your hair, I would recommend other sprays/gel. Does putting your hair up help any?

akka naeda
March 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
DD 12's hair becomes really full of static when she wears acrylic tops. Unfortunately her favourite winter tops are fleeces and her school uniform v-neck jumper is also acrylic.

It's got to the stage where I have to plait her waist length hair for her in the mornings (she hasn't learnt to plait her own hair, and gets up so late she has no time to try:rolleyes:) because nothing keeps it permanently static free, and by the time she goes out of the house her hair is almost dreaded. Putting a small amount of oil on it before plaiting makes things easier, but the next morning it's just as bad. Cold dry days are even worse, she gets static shocks off things. BTW I use a BBB on DD, and it doesn't get rid of her static.

So, it might be your clothes. It might also be your shoes and the carpets/floors in your home or work place. I used to have static due to dry hair but CO washing and oiling moisturised my hair beautifully and I now use a wood comb too and it went away, until the day we went to the Science Museum and I was wearing cheap boots with plastic soles. DD had to open all the doors for me because I got static shocks from them and my hair was horrible staticy. Just some things to check, because not all staticy hair is caused by the hair itself.:)

Celebrian
March 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thankyou everyone for all suggestions. I especially note the 'frizz-sprays', the wood/horn combs - and the clothes/carpets etc.

Extra conditioners/other 'leave-ins' don't seem to do it. I DO suspect the winter and raised heating levels in the home.

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Try this: when your hair is already dry take a little, really, like a 1/4 of tea spoon of conditioner, the leave-in one is best. Smooth your hair with it. It should work without making your hair greasy.
I know you said that leave in conditioners don't work but try them on dry hair.

Fractalsofhair
May 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hair gel. It's about the only thing that works for me, I just put a bit in when my hair is wet, towel dry it again, then put it up as best I can.

MsBubbles
May 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Highly diluted camellia oil in my little spray bottle. On the ends. Works for me but I don't have any short hairs around my face or layers.