PDA

View Full Version : Crimping Hair

lexiflowers
March 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm going to an 80s themed birthday party on Friday, so I was shopping today for ridiculous clothes, make up, etc. :p

Now I just need to figure out my hair. I have resigned myself to causing it some damage and am at peace with this, after all this is the 80s we're talking about...

I remembered today that I still have my crimpers, which would complete the look rather perfectly, but I don't even blow dry these days and I'm a little concerned that I'll ruin my hair forever. (Realistically I know this isn't exactly true, as I was crimping to high heaven when my hair was TBL and it was never particularly damaged.)

What can I do to limit the harm though? I have varying "heat protection sprays" and things... do they work?

Also, I don't want my henna to get any darker. Will one quick crimping session make a difference to my colour? If so, is this inevitable, or is there something I can put on my hair or whatever that would reduce this effect?

Thanks for your help guys, sorry if I've made you cringe talking about crimping!

Lexi :)

curlylocks85
March 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I do not know about heat protection, but maybe you can crimp sections of your hair. This way you still get that 80s look with less heat exposure for your hair.

myrrhmaiden
March 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
What my friends and I used to do back in the 80's was make many tight little braids in each others hair and sleep that way over night. It is very close to a "crimped effect" but without the heat damage. :heart:

litlepick
March 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
you could skip the crimping altogether and do an 80's side ponytail

Gabriel
March 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
If you can braid really small and tight rows of braids in slightly damp hair and let them dry fully - when you brush or comb them out, the effect should mimic crimps enough that you probably can get away with touching up only the very top layers if they need it with the crimping iron.

This way would be less damaging while still achieving that 80's look.

Oh you probably should have some gel worked through your hair before you braid it or spray it with some hairspray to help the "crimps" hold while they dry.

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I agree with Gabriel. Braid your damp hair in a bunch of medium or small braids and spray hairspray on them. Let them airdry and the hair will take on a crimped appearance. You could do this dry and spray hairspray afterwards if your hair takes a while to dry. You don't need heat to get a good crimped style. Hope that helps! (I do this all the time)

Fractalsofhair
March 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I agree with the crimping with braids idea. Do them about one pinkie thick, or so. One of my friends just got braid extensions out, and her hair was very crimped when she was done. XD But, for an 80s look, it would work!

little_cherry
March 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM
What my friends and I used to do back in the 80's was make many tight little braids in each others hair and sleep that way over night. It is very close to a "crimped effect" but without the heat damage. :heart:
This. I've done this and it looks exactly like it would when using a crimper.

lexiflowers
March 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. :)

The tiny plaits idea is a very good one. I usually braid my hair this way when I'm going to be at a Festival, and when I take it out it certainly does look crimped!

Unfortunately I have things I have to do on Friday during the day for which having lots of braids in wouldn't really be suitable... I need to look tidier, put it that way.

It's a shame because that would have been a great solution!

Thank you so much for the suggestion anyway... I almost worry I sound ungrateful now! :(

If anyone does have any ideas about damage limitation using the actual crimpers then do let me know. :flower:

Isilme
March 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think one crimping session will be too damaging. And I have never heard about anyone actually getting darker henna from it. But if you want to avoid heat I second the side ponytail.

hendrix.co
March 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I second the side ponytail and I think you should BEDAZZLE it!!

SunshineHair
March 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Dont forget how crimping makes hair fluffy! Maybe do the top layer and only press down on it for 10 seconds or less!

I love crimped hair, even have a crimper that I refuse to use now. But I use to crimp my hair all the time. I really doubt you'll hurt your hair doing it this one time. But after your fun night condition it well and oil the ends :)

missjessiecakes
March 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
If you want to crimp it go for it. :) Yes use heat protective spray/cream I like the cream because it doesn't make my hair look greasy and it tames the fly aways as well. One night isnt going to kill you and my straightening hasn't permanently darkened my henna. Have fun :flower:

Gypsy
March 28th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Go ahead and crimp it; I'm sure it will be fine- unless you decide you love it so much you try to and succeed in bringing back the look, then you will have an entire LHC forums gunning for ya, lol!
Just use the lowest setting you can still get the effect with and only do the top layers. Make sure your hair is very well conditioned before hand and if possible, don't sleep with it like that so it won't get all tangled and want to break from the friction.

countryhopper
March 28th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I second the side ponytail and I think you should BEDAZZLE it!!

AACCKKK!!! The BEDAZZLE!!! I'd forgotten!

What about those swooped-to-the-side-crunchy-bang-fans? Does anyone remember this? What were they called? or was that the 90s....?

And the T-shirts pulled to one side and tied in a knot, or the jeans (stone-washed, of course!) pant leg folded over and rolled up...

Sorry, totally off subject. I just had some memories there...!

kwaniesiam
March 28th, 2010, 08:07 AM
One session with heat will not destroy your hair. You'll be fine.

prettydark
March 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
AACCKKK!!! The BEDAZZLE!!! I'd forgotten!

What about those swooped-to-the-side-crunchy-bang-fans? Does anyone remember this? What were they called? or was that the 90s....?

Those were just called 'bangs'. LOL!