PDA

View Full Version : Oiling the Scalp: Anyone else do this?

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I'm finally back on the forum and I wanted to know if anyone used oils on their scalp to either promote growth or help condition the hair and scalp.

I knew of a few ladies from India who said they used warm coconut oil (sometimes infused with other herbs) in the scalp either overnight or for 30 minutes before shampooing.

I know some other ladies who actually apply oil to the scalp on a daily basis without rinsing. I'm thinking it's a dry hair/scalp thing.

Anyone else apply oil to the scalp? If so, what does it do for you and have you seen any progress?

*Rose Red*
March 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I sometimes fo a scalp massage with oil, when I wash my hair the next morning. My scalp is often itchy, and for me it really works. I don´t know if it affects hair growth, but some people say that it´s good for it.

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I've done this with olive oil, cured my flaky dry scalp. Also i think going conditioner only helped. I read olive oil stimulates blood flow, thus growth, didn't hurt. :)

edit: About any growth progress, i didn't do it for long, maybe a month or two..since i was cutting it very often, i might had some increase, not sure. It's pretty good to condition, im only a bit lazy now. Maybe i'll try with my coconut oil someday.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I know some other ladies who actually apply oil to the scalp on a daily basis without rinsing. I'm thinking it's a dry hair/scalp thing.

That's me, before going WO. My scalp starts flaking as soon as it gets dry, applying oil on it always fixes the problem. When i apply, scalp soaks the oil right away so roots aren't left greasy or anything, provided that you DON'T brush/comb your hair afterwards :D

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
That's me, before going WO. My scalp starts flaking as soon as it gets dry, applying oil on it always fixes the problem. When i apply, scalp soaks the oil right away so roots aren't left greasy or anything, provided that you DON'T brush/comb your hair afterwards :D

Interesting you mention that because I wondered how this would work with WO. Do you think the oil helps keep the scalp clean? I've always wanted to go for WO, but then I use some coney product or something crazy and have to grab the poo bottle...

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Interesting you mention that because I wondered how this would work with WO. Do you think the oil helps keep the scalp clean? I've always wanted to go for WO, but then I use some coney product or something crazy and have to grab the poo bottle...

I've tried to WO some coconut oil, most of the oil was washed..can't say the same about the sebum, but i'm only a newbie at that. :p

edit: I loved your name, Vermelha. It's in my first language.

Xandergrammy
March 27th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I always oil my scalp when I oil my hair (I use monoi oil or coconut oil). I don't know if it makes a difference in growth or not, but it helps with my very dry scalp.

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I've tried to WO some coconut oil, most of the oil was washed..can't say the same about the sebum, but i'm only a newbie at that. :p

edit: I loved your name, Vermelha. It's in my first language.

Oooh! I just read that you're from Brazil! I help teach English online to Portuguese speakers in my spare time and love the language (hence the name).

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Oooh! I just read that you're from Brazil! I help teach English online to Portuguese speakers in my spare time and love the language (hence the name).

An english teacher! I hope i'm doing well, i'm self taught. ><

pepperedmoth
March 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I oil my scalp sometimes the night or morning before washing. I use the same mixture I use on my face for OCM- almond oil, castor oil, and some lovely-scented essential oils. I read somewhere that castor oil may help thicken hair, but really I love how soothing and pleasurable it is, especially with the essential oils.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 27th, 2010, 10:20 AM

oops...i meant, i was oiling my scalp before i started WO. Since i'm not using detergents anymore my scalp already has some oil and no oiling is necessary. As i said though, if you have a dry scalp like mine, the oil you put on your scalp will be soaked.

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
oops...i meant, i was oiling my scalp before i started WO. Since i'm not using detergents anymore my scalp already has some oil and no oiling is necessary. As i said though, if you have a dry scalp like mine, the oil you put on your scalp will be soaked.

Ohhh, makes sense! I guess you won't need to oil the scalp if nothing is drying it out! Oh, and my scalp is dry just like yours. My hair literally drinks oil.

Speaking of, I wonder how often everyone oils their scalp, if they do.

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM
An english teacher! I hope i'm doing well, i'm self taught. ><

You are self taught? I didn't notice! Your English is great! See, like I said, I didn't even know you were Brazilian or even spoke another language. I am self taught Portuguese too!

Dreams_in_Pink
March 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Speaking of, I wonder how often everyone oils their scalp, if they do.

Personally, i oiled my scalp right after wash as soon as my hair dried. Once a week, that is.

Heidi_234
March 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I oil my scalp with sesame oil infused with Bringharaj, when my hair is towel dry/wet after each wash. Bringharaj is known to promote growth and the oil is light and smells lovely. My scalp NEVER gets oily on its own, and even with the oiling it doesn't looks the least oily.

camirra555
March 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I use a castor and coconut oil mix after washing

Forever_Sophie
March 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'm about to start using castor oil (w/ Rosemary & sesame oil) before washing. You'll be interested in the Castor Oil thread on the Recipes/Henna forum (I think!).

MandaMom2Three
March 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I give my scalp a good massage with the oil I'm oiling my hair with the night before my wash, which is once or twice a week. So far I've used plain coconut oil, but soon I'll be trying Vatika coconut oil, and I'd like to experiment with a little castor oil eventually too.

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I use a castor and coconut oil mix after washing

You too!? Wow! I thought I was the only one. I did mine before washing, but I may try after too. How is it working for you? Castor oil is amazingly rich for me.

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I oil my scalp with sesame oil infused with Bringharaj, when my hair is towel dry/wet after each wash. Bringharaj is known to promote growth and the oil is light and smells lovely. My scalp NEVER gets oily on its own, and even with the oiling it doesn't looks the least oily.

I remember you saying you use Bringharaj oil. I still haven't gotten a hold of it. When I gather up enough money, I'll try that oil one day.

And I'm just like that. My scalp never gets oily on its own. The closest is when I workout, and it's still mostly dry then.

habioku
March 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I use olive oil for my dry and flaky scalp, too and it works! :)

Heidi_234
March 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I remember you saying you use Bringharaj oil. I still haven't gotten a hold of it. When I gather up enough money, I'll try that oil one day.

And I'm just like that. My scalp never gets oily on its own. The closest is when I workout, and it's still mostly dry then.
Oh yeah, now I remember it too. :lol: So yeah, still using this oil, and that small bottle is not even close to be finished!

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember it too. :lol: So yeah, still using this oil, and that small bottle is not even close to be finished!

It must be worth the money because we talked about that a long time ago! When I finish up this Jamaican black castor oil, I'll look into it surely!

Heidi_234
March 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
It must be worth the money because we talked about that a long time ago! When I finish up this Jamaican black castor oil, I'll look into it surely!
Bear in mind I'm not a frequent washer either :wink:
How is the castor oil? I'm playing with the idea of starting to apply it on my scalp too. It did wonders on my lashes.

bytheocean
March 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I'm new here, but I've been using coconut oil and tea tree oil on my scalp. My scalp can get so dry that I will scratch until it bleeds sometimes. This winter it was cold here for a change and my scalp got pretty bad. The coconut oil seems to really help with the dryness and the tea tree oil with the itchiness. I alternate between the two.

little_cherry
March 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I love oiling my scalp and massaging! :D It feels so good!

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Bear in mind I'm not a frequent washer either :wink:
How is the castor oil? I'm playing with the idea of starting to apply it on my scalp too. It did wonders on my lashes.

Oh the castor oil is very rich and amazing when done as a hot oil treatment. I filled it in a plastic spout bottle and warmed the bottle in a bowl of hot water and when it's warm, I put it in. The kind I have has lavender essential oil in it as well, so it smells nice.

It's really thickened up my hair, but since it's curly I can't tell if I've gotten a lot of growth (I'm taking MSM/Biotin/Silica/Gelatin too, so it may be those as well). But eyebrows, that I trimmed thin last weekend, are already grown back to being full and bushy, so the oil must be doing something!

Sparkette
March 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I have a patch on the back of my head that seems to produce no sebum. The hair from this section also has slightly slower growth than the rest. So a day or so after washing I apply a small amount of jojoba oil to my scalp with a fine tip applicator bottle. I am hoping that with time this section will grow at the same pace as the rest of my hair. The rest of my scalp is pretty well behaved.
I'm new here, but I've been using coconut oil and tea tree oil on my scalp. My scalp can get so dry that I will scratch until it bleeds sometimes. This winter it was cold here for a change and my scalp got pretty bad. The coconut oil seems to really help with the dryness and the tea tree oil with the itchiness. I alternate between the two. I can relate to this!:D When it gets really cold, the first thing I have to do is trim my nails to keep from destroying my scalp!

starlights
April 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
i usaully oil most days... and always oil the scalp ... all the women in my family do the same, altho we all use different oils depending on the texture of our hair... this habit is from my ancestors in india, i must say it definately does help!

Flaxen
April 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
I have oiled my length before washing for a long time, and I started oiling my scalp last Autumn. I use a herbal infused coconut oil, and while the results have been great on my length, it seems to have done nothing for my growth rate. In fact, I've just experienced a three month stall. The good news is that the routine has allowed me to give up conditioning after shampooing. :grin: