PDA

View Full Version : my hair is so sticky

jennyjukes
March 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
i shampoo & condition twice a week but have had to do it more because its been so sticky, even when i don't use products
iv washed it twice without conditioner and product but its still sticky and almost wet, my hairs full of flakes from all the washing
i can't use anything stripping as my colour (that took ages to dye to thanks to previous bleaching) so that includes dandruff shampoo + vinegar. i really wanted to start COwash again this week

its really depressing me because iv been invited out a lot and i can't bare to be seen lookingg like this. i have no idea what to do:( it's sticky and mushy

Copasetic
March 27th, 2010, 08:25 AM
What products are you using?

jennyjukes
March 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
toni & guy dark brunette shampoo and conditioner (they "infuse" a bit of colour. i already have dyed hair) & toni + guy glosser. sometimes aussie leave in conditioner - coney. although ive only used the shampoo twice without the conditioner and products.

misstwist
March 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Mushy is a key word here, I think. I think that's a protein problem, lack of protein, and I see you have been in a bleach and color cycle. Take a look at this thread. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=461546

Cailie
March 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Strange problem :( I hope you find the solution very soon.

Anje
March 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm not having any luck turning up ingredients lists for your products (feel like typing them up?), but I wouldn't be surprised if you need to clarify. Yes, a clarifying shampoo may strip some color, but if that's what's going on, your choice may be between color and your hair feeling worse.

Misstwist might be exactly right -- you could definitely have a protein/moisture balance problem. Read this, especially starting on page 3. (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69) Never mind the fact that it's geared toward black hair; that's largely because relaxing is common for them, and relaxing and bleaching can both cause protein problems.

"Sticky" is a tricky word -- hair that feels damp and mushy is going to be protein deficient, but hair that's protein-overloaded sticks to itself and feels dry, brittle, super-tangly, and a little kinkier than normal. Hair that has buildup can also feel sticky.

jennyjukes
March 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
thanks guys
i did clarify recently but no luck. i have protein filler from my dye, wonder if that will help?
also, what kind of products can i use to make protein treatment from home, don't feel like going out to buy any looking like this. reccomendations would be helpful thanks:)

long.again
March 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Can you tell us a bit more about this sticky feeling?

When it's dry, does it feel sticky like if there was coke spilled on the floor and it's sticky?

Or it is sticky like sticking together when wet - really hard to comb/brush because it feels like one sticky mush ball?

If it's the first, it's product. You might need to switch to something else. Maybe it's not rinsing out all the way.

If it's the second, it's damage from dying (I've had this kind of sticky hair).

jennyjukes
March 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
When it's dry, does it feel sticky like if there was coke spilled on the floor and it's sticky?

it feels like this, my hair dried more after writing this and doesn't feel too bad.
its only on my scalp the rest is fine, i'm guessing i didn't get all the coney products out? my shampoo does have sodium laureth but not lauryl so its not that harsh.
i'll shampoo in a few days - thankfully wont be going anywhere. hopefully it's not too much dye because i'm hoping to put semi or demi colour over my hair soon.