PDA

View Full Version : In what other ways did your hair change when turning silver?

Idun
March 27th, 2010, 03:21 AM
When I was at the salon this week for a trim, the woman told me one either gets white soft and fine hair or grey coarse hair. I find that very hard to believe. There must be more than two hairtypes even after the hairs turn grey! I see so many lovely shiny silverheads in here!! Watching RL people one canīt really tell what their natural hair looks like, because most ladies either dye, or when they give that up they typically get the short-perm-style.

Anyway Iīm curious as to whether people feel that the structure of ones hair changed a lot when turning silver? Did anyone get curls when they used to be straight or opposite? Did your hair become thinner og thicker, finer or coarser? Other noticeable changes? Did you have to change your haircare routine a lot?

drquartz1970
March 27th, 2010, 03:46 AM
My silver hairs are growing in at a thicker medium texture, whereas before they were of a finer thin type. I have naturally curly hair which is getting less curly with time.

serious
March 27th, 2010, 04:41 AM
My hair has always been fine, oily, thin and slightly wavy.
My grays are coarse, thicker than the rest, dry and wavy, so I have two different types of hair on my head :(

farewell_nancy
March 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I only have a sprinkling, but they're neither abnormally soft/white or coarse/grey. Mine are white and either the same texture of my hair or a bit thicker, some of them might be considered coarse. I'm not really sure since I'm not very familiar with that hair type.

I get more a more dramatic texture shift in those random wiry hairs, but they're all pigmented.

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I know it can get a bit yellow because of the sun, althought I have read something about isn't the sun light, but the sun warmth that would cause this. They have some products that restore that silver glow, I've used a shampoo for this, back when I had blonde hair (and was too yellow) and used shampoo. :p

sherigayle
March 27th, 2010, 04:12 PM
My grey hairs are about the same thickness and coarse texture, but they are more silver than grey and very shiny. The coarseness actually makes the hairs look faceted and reflect a lot of light. I love them.

SilvraShadows
March 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I've always had very fine hair and that part did not change. Mine is very soft, fine, and silvery when once it was... well that would depend on what age I was come to think of it! It changed in color, naturally, all throughout my life. But today it is silver. The texture hasn't changed at all. If anything it seems more baby fine.

I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of "velous" hair? This is a quote from a book I read some time ago... "Velous hair is that fluffy straw-like hair older women have, terminal is the thick hair of our childhood." Hmmmm. On top of that... "as we age eventually ALL of our hair turns velous."

That's great. I see my canopy just might be aged and velous, now I read ALL of my tresses will turn eventually! Not if I can help it. I tell myself the canopy has been exposed to many seasons of harsher elements... and testifies to that a little, but it has always been the way it is. Gentle care makes amends. And besides I couldn't even find "velous" in my Webster... or Wikipedia either!

ohiofritty
March 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
My grays are bright white and super shiny and pretty thick...my normal hair is fairly fine. I also have this one gray (or bright shiny silver!) right on my center part that is kinky (not really curly, but has actual kinks!) as opposed to the rest of my hair which is pretty darn straight.

blackhound
March 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM
My grey hair is actually white and quite soft. I really didn't see a significant change in my hair. Perhaps a little less curly, but overall not much difference.

linda g
March 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
My silvers are shiny white and are thicker and have more wave/curl than my other hairs.

Quixii
March 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
My mom says her grey hairs are thicker and more wire-y than her regular hair, which is one of the many reasons she dyes them.

little_cherry
March 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM
My silvers are much courser and don't grow as straight! :) I just love love love how my silvers turn out with henna!

lacereza
March 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM

iris
March 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
My gray hairs are the exact same texture as my fully pigmented hairs; my whites are much thicker and coarser, like to stick up straight, and reflect light like crazy.

redtea
March 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I've never found any grays on my head, but I have plenty of whites, so I don't even bother saying I'm graying, I just say my hair is turning white! Some are the same texture as the rest of my hair but others are coarser and thicker.

BonnyJ
March 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
My hair has areas that have turned an ash blonde interspersed with white. It is really obvious while braided so I'll try to get a pic. Maybe the brown to ash blonde is just on its way to silver.

Honestwitness
March 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
My hair looks beige, because the white hairs now outnumber the browns. It's becoming a lighter beige as the years pass, but all the hairs are either brown or white. There is no single hair that is "gray."

I kept my hair pixie-short for over 30 years, as the white hairs started coming in, so I don't really know whether my brown hairs were as fragile as my white hairs are. My hair is as fragile as spider silk, now that it's long enough to observe it's strength (or lack thereof).

I thought I was being careful with it, as I was growing it out, but not having had any experience with long hair, I now realize I was really being too rough with it. I have sections where the hair is very sparse as it gets to the very ends. I have to be careful how I wear my hair, or these sparse areas are very evident.

However, these sparse areas may have been there all along and I just didn't know it because of my pixie style.

I haven't done a scientific strength test to compare my brown hairs to my white hairs, but they seem to be the same degree of "fineness."

Mama Bee
March 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I don't have any grey, just shiny silver - so when I do decide to go au naturel, at least it'll be a pretty color! My natural color is a sort of blah light brown, VERY fine and soft, but the silver ones are much coarser and thicker. They are also unpredictably wavy, where my natural hair is almost completely straight. So I might end up with shiny wavy silver hair in another 15 years ...

... I could live with that. :D

Milui Elenath
March 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
My grays are bright white and super shiny and pretty thick...my normal hair is fairly fine. I also have this one gray (or bright shiny silver!) right on my center part that is kinky (not really curly, but has actual kinks!) as opposed to the rest of my hair which is pretty darn straight.

This is me too! Right down to the one kinky hair in the middle part, except I keep plucking it out. :p

Idun
April 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I don't have any grey, just shiny silver - so when I do decide to go au naturel, at least it'll be a pretty color! My natural color is a sort of blah light brown, VERY fine and soft, but the silver ones are much coarser and thicker. They are also unpredictably wavy, where my natural hair is almost completely straight. So I might end up with shiny wavy silver hair in another 15 years ...

... I could live with that. :D

This sounds just like me! The silvers just will not conform to the rest of my hair, they are both coarser and wavier. At the moment itīs very irritating, but like you Mama Bee, Iīm hoping theyīll grow to become silver waves in time!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3451&pictureid=68523
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3451&pictureid=68523

spidermom
April 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I've got silvery-blonde hairs that are fine. I've got white hairs that are coarse. Every white hair that I've noticed is coarse, although I suppose there could be some soft and fine ones hidden in there, too.

Hedera
April 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
My brown hair is fine and straight; most of my grey ones seem slightly coarser, and kinkier. :eyebrows:

I'm hoping that eventually, as they take over, they'll add a bit more 'oompf' and volume to my usually all-too smooth hair!

BattahZ
April 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
My silver hairs (haven't seen any that are gray, per se - they're either brown or silver/white) are coarser than the rest of my hair, with a slightly different curl pattern. They're not necessarily more or less curly than the rest, but they're more unruly. I usually twist my curls a bit after washing, which shapes them into loose spirals, but the silver ones always stick out. They don't like to play with the others :)

They sure are sparkly!

Hedera
April 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
The funny thing is, irl my silvers mostly show up in bright light, like sunlight.

But when I take a photograph, the flash seems to make them disappear, and then they are much more noticeable when the flash doesn't go off.

Here is one with flash:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=665&pictureid=68190

And here one with no flash, taken the same morning:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=665&pictureid=68533

Sparkly! :cheese:

Calista
April 4th, 2010, 12:26 PM
And besides I couldn't even find "velous" in my Webster... or Wikipedia either!
Do you mean "vellus hair (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellus_hair)"?

Regarding grey hairs: I always thought there was no such thing. Our hair loses its pigment as we get older, thus turning white (like an albino). The grey effect is an optical illusion, due to a mix of white and coloured hairs.

Idun
April 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Wow Hedera! It really looks like sparkles in hour hair! Gorgeous!

Idun
April 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Regarding grey hairs: I always thought there was no such thing. Our hair loses its pigment as we get older, thus turning white (like an albino). The grey effect is an optical illusion, due to a mix of white and coloured hairs.

This I do not know! But some people do seem to have more of a steel colour even when all their hairs have changed/lost their pigment?

Calista
April 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Idun, I think it is many many white hairs but still some dark hairs giving that steel effect. I´m not 100% sure, though.

rags
April 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
My hair is baby, baby fine with a slight wave to it. My silvers are more wiry instead of soft, but still just as fine. They are, however much wavier. I have a couple of them that actually stand out from the rest of my hair into spiral curls! (Now if only the rest of the hair would do that!)

They are also much, much drier and even more fragile than my colored hairs (which I didn't think possible). They need more moisture, which then is too much moisture for the colored hairs. I'll be glad when I get to a more even split.

(You can't see it in this siggy pic, but almost the entire front of my hair is silver. This pic was taken with flash and yep, it wipes out the silvers)

Elenna
April 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
My fine gray hairs are the exact same texture as the pigmented brown hairs. However, I found out that gray or white hair needs more TLC. But it certainly can be soft and shiny.