PDA

View Full Version : The Babies are Driving me Crazy

doodlesmart
May 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I had a major shed fall of last year (lost about .5" of circumference). Now those baby hairs are all about 5 inches long. Not long enough to stay in my bun, but long enough to get in my face. There is a large crop of them growing on either side of my widows peak, a few all across my hair line and some from each temple. It's like all the annoyance of having bangs without any of the looking good part.

I know they are good and they new growth, but boy are they a pain. They stay slicked back ok with AVG, but if I ever don't have globs of AVG in my hair they get in my face and tickle and bother me. Like in the evenings when I've combed my hair out and braided it for the night, they pop back out to bother me, or if I'm not going out for a while and just leave my hair loosely restrained and don't "do" it, they get in my face and in my way.

aglaiah
May 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM
This is goin to happen to me too i guess, my baby hair just started groin , its not even an inch yet. We'll just have to be really patient i guess :s

spidermom
May 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Doodlesmart, I feel your pain. I don't remember a major shed, but I notice that I've got hundreds (if not thousands) of short little sproingers that stick out all over the place and resist gel, even pomade. I've been wearing my hair down more often when I go out because I feel that the length and shine are a distraction. If I bun or braid, my head looks like one of those bottle-cleaner thingies. Please baby hairs; grow fast!

lorig713
May 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Maybe a thin head band while at home would help keep your hair back and more controlled.

freznow
May 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Gah I have that too! Mine are a tad longer, for the most part, but I have a lot at the temples that just barely won't fit into the updo, so it likes to poof out the sides in a funny way. :mad: So I just pull them all out and yeah I've got so many it's like sideswept fringe but not as defined... Grr. I just ignore them, they actually don't look too bad if you like the casual look or the "I just went for a run" look or something...

Yesterday I was messing with them and I made like a dome above my head... O.o It was really freaky. I could make it kinda like the spiky manga styles, only not cool, just silly.

cindy58
May 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Me too! I also had a big shed that lasted through the summer and into the fall. I was trying not to be upset by it and add to the stress, but I really had NO idea how much I apparently lost. It's all growing back now and I feel like a major fuzzhead. No matter where I part it gobs of little hairs shoot up, I swear it will seem as if I have bangs again. I have shorter hairs growing back along every part of my hairline, around my ears and nape included.

However I complain, I AM of course happy that's it growing back!

doodlesmart
May 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have tried the thin little elastic-y head bands and I must have a huge head (actually I know I do) because they give me terrible headaches. I do often wear a scarf or a buff around the house which helps with them. But it's started to get warmer and my head gets hot.

Angellen
May 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have these big, wide headbands from scunci, maybe two inches wide, and I think they work quite well. They're very versatile and comfy. If you're really desperate, you might give them a go. :)

Rini
May 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I ALWAYS have baby hairs, no matter what. I think it's just the constant growth/shed cycle. I use AVG and also headbands. In my sig pic (the one on the right), I have a headband in. It is the only type of headband that does not give me headaches. It's satin-covered, thin and very very light. You can't even feel it when it's on, but it holds all the tiny hairs down.

Doesn't pretty much everyone have the baby hairs? Or do some ppl not have these :confused:

Butters
May 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have quite the crop as well and they are currently at the length to curl perfectly UP my nose. :lol: When I am at home I use a Buff and if wearing my hear out and down, then a wide cloth headband. The elastic headbands squeeze me into a headache as well.

kwaniesiam
May 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I have some regrowth too, and while it is annoying, maybe try wearing some headbands and just remind yourself that in time they will once again contribute to overall thickness :flower:

eadwine
May 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Everyone has baby hairs, since everyone has shed and regrown hair. Just some more than others.

I have them too, I treasure the little ones; they are curly, and they make my updo look softer :)

goodenough
May 5th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I only notice mine (and I have plenty due to a recent shed) when I pull my hair straight back. I do a side part, and smooth my hair over, tucking in the wispies, and put the hair behind one ear. Now that I know I shed like crazy each March, I'm not as freaked out about it as I used to be.

Silver & Gold
May 5th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I have the same thing going on. I generally let mine fall loose, group them together a bit with some aloe gel and lightly curl them around my finger. The loose curl helps direct them out of my face and it makes the style look finished rather than messy.

rhubarbarin
May 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I have some 2-5" long regrowth going on all over my head, and as always I have a massive amount of hairs with a very short term. length all around my hairline.

I have puffy, curly/wavy hair anyway, so it's just generally messy looking and all the fuzz doesn't bother me.. usually AVG helps, unless it's really humid.. then there's nothing I can do, they all start floating.

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I've got lots of those... something about my hairtype makes all the little ends stick out and look damaged, too.

The other day, I decided to try making some of Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Creme. (2 parts shea butter, 1 part coconut oil, 2 parts conditioner). Smeared it on my ends a bit too heavily (though they soaked it all up after 2 days), and then decided to smear a little on my canopy too. It actually weighed down the baby hairs quite a lot, and I had less flyaway than normal.

If you have the ingredients on hand, I'd suggest trying it. Just be aware that it's easy to overdo it.

cindy58
May 6th, 2008, 05:02 AM
OK, I mixed up some Shea Butter Conditioning Creme last night and I'll try it. Hope it works!

Katze
May 6th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have them, too, and it's one of the reasons I feel like I look better with my hair down. No matter how much I slick an updo back, unless my hair is oiled until it's saturated (which I never do, as it doesn't come out) these baby hairs stick up and out all over the place.

Worst are the nape hairs, which are a different (coarser) consistency and wavier, and have the texture of "other" body hairs. They are so short (though growing) that they fall out of any 'do no matter what.

I know people who don't seem to have them, who can put their hair up or back and have it stay and look smooth...I think it is a matter of hairtype.

jojo
May 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
oh i am not the only one with this 'problem' mine are most obvious when my hair is down, they stick out on the crown and length. I do find AVG helps but they still bug me. And in fluorescent lighting they really come out to play!

Lasiren
May 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
yes, those make me crazy, too! I try to use small clips on them, if I can...make the front of my hair like a headband.