PDA

View Full Version : I tried something new today ^_^

tokidokichi
March 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I want to avoid the flat iron and blow dryer as much as I can. Sooooooo today after I shampood, protein treated, and moisture treated my hair, I put my hair in medium sized velcro rollers! (Yay my hair is long enough now to hold them in!) I let my hair air dry a bit before I put in the rollers then let them sit on my head an hour until my hair was completely dry. I just took them out and my hair is so bouncy! Maybe a little too bouncy but a good nights sleep will fix that ^_<

I decided to try this because I have a chemical straightener on the last 4-5 inches of my hair and my new growth has lots of waves. The only way to fix it was to blow dry it or straighten it with a flat iron. Now I have a heat free way of doing my hair. YAY!:)

OH YEAHH and it only took me about 10 minutes to get the rollers in =]] I bet with practice I can get it down to 5!

Do any of you guys ever use rollers?!

electrocutions
March 27th, 2010, 01:11 AM
What a cute idea! I have about shoulder to collarbone length hair that's also quite wavy, so I think I'll consider doing this. I remember trying rollers before for special occasions and costumes, but I've been a heat-styling maniac for the past 4 or so years. Now I'm trying to stay away from heat too!

I was also thinking of using paper bags for an eco-friendly approach. Since I'm on-campus and in college, I don't have rollers with me. I saw this video on YouTube by my favorite makeup guru: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2QGq0n4A.

Also, you said you protein-treat your hair? What's that? I'm a super newbie, so I don't know a lot about the products used. What do you use to keep your hair healthy?

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 06:39 AM
My hair is very very short and i use rollers too! :D It makes the hair shine more and have less frizz without putting any sort of leave-in/oil on it, which i dont like when i go out. Oily hair only inside the house. :D

Arctic
March 27th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I suggest you trying some other rollers than the velcro type, they can damage hairs, the hairs get stuck into their velcro structure and it can tear the cuticle layer.

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Arctic, this is really good to know! I use the 'normal' ones, but wanted to try the velcro because they seem to be easier to put on/take out. Not anymore. :D

Hana
March 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM
i believe sponge ones are the best!

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Wouldn't sponge ones suck out the moisture? I did a (very) little research and they say is for oily hair, mine's normal to dry. Seems confortable, though.:p

Hana
March 27th, 2010, 07:06 AM
i;d assume they'd only do that if your hair was sopping wet!
i think they are usually made from a more foam-like substance, rather than actual sponge.

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
i;d assume they'd only do that if your hair was sopping wet!
i think they are usually made from a more foam-like substance, rather than actual sponge.

Next time i'm out shopping, i shall look for them!

countryhopper
March 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I suggest you trying some other rollers than the velcro type, they can damage hairs, the hairs get stuck into their velcro structure and it can tear the cuticle layer.

I totally agree 1000%!

I used to sleep, EVERY NIGHT, in velcro rollers. They gave me awesome volume and slight curl to my decidedly straight, non-bouncy hair.

However....

When I would take them out, I would pull out/break off tons of hair each time. There isn't really a gentle way to take them out, in my opinion. Even the name VELCRO suggests catching and snagging! I also used to use sponge rollers, and I feel like they dried out my hair, especially the ends. Plus, I always had a crease in my hair where the plastic end clamped down to close it.

Then I tried hot rollers... can we say heat damage?? Although I can't really remember being aware of the damage it was causing, I remember them becoming so hot they'd burn my fingers! I can only imagine what they were doing on my hair EVERY DAY!

I now sleep in socks (!). I just wrap my hair gently around the sock and tie the ends, being careful not to pull hairs. In the morning, I gently unroll them and have huge, bouncy ringlets. My hair also feels much smoother doing this.

I read on another thread about naturally straightening your hair by wrapping it in sections (damp?) around your head and bobby pinning it along the way. Allow to dry naturally and unpin. This might work for you... sorry, I'm not sure what teh name of the thread was! But I'm almost 100% sure it was on this site.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM

when using velcro rollers, you should use big sections of hair, so that velcro will only grip the ends, not the entire length. That way, it's not painful to pull them out, as they fall on their own once you remove the bobby pin :)

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I use to have that crease at the roots when i left the rollers too long, now i just leave a little bit before i go out and gives me the volume and shine i want.
About wrapping the hair, i've done that too, it's done on dry hair and the pins are pulled out right after the wrap is done. The hair turns out amazing, shiny and straight with no heat, however the strands are pulled in a way that makes my head hurt.
So it doesn't hurt, people say we should switch the sides the hair is wrapped from time to time..didn't work for me though. It's better not to use a moisture absorbing fabric, i believe they sell caps specially for this. In the old days people used pantyhose, that's how i learned it from my mom. :p

tokidokichi
March 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM
What a cute idea! I have about shoulder to collarbone length hair that's also quite wavy, so I think I'll consider doing this. I remember trying rollers before for special occasions and costumes, but I've been a heat-styling maniac for the past 4 or so years. Now I'm trying to stay away from heat too!

I was also thinking of using paper bags for an eco-friendly approach. Since I'm on-campus and in college, I don't have rollers with me. I saw this video on YouTube by my favorite makeup guru: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2QGq0n4A.

Also, you said you protein-treat your hair? What's that? I'm a super newbie, so I don't know a lot about the products used. What do you use to keep your hair healthy?

I use redken deep fuel on my hair once a week (if I do it more often than that, my hair gets too much protien and will be stiff and break!) You can do at home protien treatments with an egg or mayonaise ^_^

Also, I heard you can use coke cans as rollers!

tokidokichi
March 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
when using velcro rollers, you should use big sections of hair, so that velcro will only grip the ends, not the entire length. That way, it's not painful to pull them out, as they fall on their own once you remove the bobby pin :)

I agree! Also I use the gentle velcro rollers that are meant for fine or dammaged hair, there are less "velcro" things and they are spaced further appart than they are on normal veclro rollers. I also take them out very carefully! =] I didn't notice any damage when I did it, and no hair was stuck in the rollers XD

nycstar
March 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
That's awesome that you found something that works for you! I use the rollers on my ends to camouflage the tapering layers in the middle and at the bottom of my hair (my hair is straight).

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Oh yes. I use magnetic rollers at least twice a week to set my style. My curl pattern is uneven in areas, so I roll my hair to create a uniform curl. I used rollers to grow out my relaxer too. Other than having to sleep on them (which sucks), they are a great alternative to heat styling.

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 09:44 AM
We should call this official rollers thread. :D
I love them!

tokidokichi
March 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
We should call this official rollers thread. :D
I love them!

Thats a good idea! I'm actually surprised that there isn't one already! (I searched for one..)