PDA

View Full Version : I think I might actually like cones...

coscass
March 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I know that might sound crazy to some of you. Is there anyone else with my hairtype that seems to like cones, too? I never really gave them a try. But I did tonight, and my hair is soft. The curls have sort of fallen out, but I don't mind. I like it. It seems...longer, I don't know.

What do you guys think? Does it look okay like this, or would it look better with more curl?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/The_Squirrel_Has_Spoken/hairyayitslong.jpg
I'm wanting to switch to a coney condish for a while. If I do, and discover my hair actually doesn't like it, how long should it take to get my hair back to normal with if I clarify and go back to cone-free? Any ideas?

tokidokichi
March 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I love cones!! ^___^ they make my hair really nice and don't coat my hair or weigh it down like people say they do. I think cones just have a bad rep.
Your hair looks really nice, love the color =]

ZaBasDa
March 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I don't like cones because the make my hair less curly, but many people might prefer cones for that reason. If I didn't mind the less curly hair, I would probably like cones more because they do give create slip and help minimize tangles. But then again I get really fast build-up. :shrug: If it works for you, then that's great.

Jeni
March 26th, 2010, 11:08 PM
My hair loves cones! Cones = less tangles!

My hair is stick straight so the fact that cones apparently pull curls out of hair doesn't really matter much to me.

Fethenwen
March 27th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I made a similar thread like yours a few weeks back :p

I used a coney shampoo as an experiment, my hair felt amazing the first few hours, but after that it became very limp and the day after that both limp and frizzy and also it started to feel dirty. Not such a good experience. I even tried it once more the next wash and it turned out horrible. Well, I guess I could have used a better shampoo for better results, it was one of those cheap of the shelf ones.

Anyway, I hope you will have more success with cones that I did! :flower:

Edit: I also meant to say that your hair looks really shiny! And your curls look very defined too.

BranwenWolf
March 27th, 2010, 12:36 AM
When I found some sans-cones stuff it was knot city and my hair was dry and frizzy, which is pretty ridiculous when it's thick. I like my cones very much.

andrea1982
March 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I've pretty much always used cones. I'm in the middle of a cone free expirement right now, and after a couple of weeks my hair is still shiny and maybe softer, but the tangles are much worse...I'm afraid I'll get more breakage if I stay cone free. I don't think cones are inherently bad for hair, it just depends on the person. What kind of products did you like before you found LHC? If you had decent hair and tended to gravitate towards cones, maybe your hair likes them?

May
May 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
It's not that I like cones so much as I need them :) My hair would be a frizzy birds nest without them. I've tried CO but that just made my hair drier and sort of icky feeling. I love deep conditioning my hair.:p

Jessica Trapp
May 23rd, 2010, 09:10 PM
I'm a cone-head.

:cool:

jane53
May 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
I think my hair does fine with or without cones.

I don't really know.

I was using Pantene conditioners (do they have cones???) and gave them up because of the $$$. I started using Suave, without cones, and my hair is fine either way.

ErinM
May 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
You know, I'm cone-free and when I went to the stylist for a trim yesterday, she shampooed, conditioned AND put in Chi Silk and my hair was lovely and slick all day. By today, though, it seemed pretty oily and heavy. I'm torn!

Shermie Girl
May 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cones rule! My hair loves them. If your hair likes them and you like how it looks and feels with cones, then cone up. :bluebiggr

BonnyJ
May 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Cone-head here. I tried w/o cones and had a tangle fest so decided that cones are healthier than constant tangles. My hair does not get weighed down and I still have waves. Occasionally I clarify my hair and start over.

May
May 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
It's not that I want to use cones so much as I *need* to use them :)
My hair gets way to dry and staticky without them. It's really quite a terrible tangled mess. :disgust: They make my hair shiny, silky and smooooth :crush::heartbeat

Jenn of Pence
May 23rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'm in the middle of a cone-free experiment; so far it seems to be fine. I plan to try some more coney stuff again in a month or so to see which I prefer. From my previous experience, I think I've had pleasant experiences with cones, so I could probably go either way :)

julliams
May 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I went cone-free for about 7 months and ended up with many splits. it could have been that I was due for a trim so i had one and switched to a coney conditioner (Kerastase). After one and a half months the curl was completely gone from my hair and it was drying straight http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48261&highlight=straight+patch

I used a clarifying shampoo and my curls came back.

I don't think cones are a bad thing if you can learn to use them in order to enhance your style. If I wan't straight hair I can just go ahead and use cones - if I want curls I just clarify.

I do like the feel of my hair with cones and I understand what they do - I'm cool with that.

loralie
May 24th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I love them too.

I tried to give them up for a month, but my hair was a dry, tangled mess. Now, I take the time to clarify and get moisture on before I cone up again. Yes, they stretch everything out but my hair is more fragile without them so until I hit a length where I'm comfortable enough to give them up again, I'll keep using them. My hair is less tangly, which equals less breakage and overall more length.

Loreley
May 24th, 2010, 01:47 AM
The only reason I don't use cones is that I'd have to use a harsh shampoo to get rid of them. And my hair hates sulfates... :(

Laurenji
May 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
My hair is super-slippery straight already, and I can barely get hairpins to stay as it is. If I use cones, my hair proceeds to spit all hairpins, hairsticks, clips, elastics, or bobby pins right back at me as if they were nothing.

I also have the problem of my hair looking fantastic the first day, but greasy and stringy the next day if I use cones.

These things combined, I usually don't use cones. However, if I'm planning on leaving my hair down for something special and I want it to look fantastic, I'll use cones for that gorgeous-soft-shiny look. But I then wash it the next day again.

Bunnyhare
May 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
ME too, I went no cones for a while when i first started here but my hair is just so much happier with them...looks better, feels better..i gave in and went back just a few weeks ago, around my 1 year anniversary! i can even go longer between washes and don't seem to get build up troubles.....and the best shampoos/condish for me is pantene brunette expressions..it smells great , works great with night shades panacea salve and i love it!

FrannyG
May 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I was no-cone for over 2 years, and my hair was very happy, but I damaged my hair some time back and now I use cones from the ears down, and it's made a tremendous difference for me.

If I had to go no-cone with the remaining damage I have right now, I would have to cut my hair to about shoulder length.

The build-up doesn't become a problem for me for at least 4 weeks. I clarify, do an SMT with non-coney conditioner and then use cones after I've rinsed out the SMT. It's pretty easy.