PDA

View Full Version : How to pull back short hair?

argyle
March 26th, 2010, 07:36 PM
So I'm growing out my hair, and for the past 8 months (at least) I have been pulling my hair back with a claw clip like this. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tho0mUZiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It works fine, I just pull back the top part of my hair to get it out of my face and then it looks like this:
(sorry for the blurry picture - self timer cancels out the autofocus apparently)

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo66/mintspics/pullingbackmyhair002.jpg

I also have one scrunchy that I use but I notice it hurts my scalp sometimes when I pull my hair back using it. And I have to triple the scrunchy or else it falls off my hair.

I'd like to start doing a bun, but evidently I have thick and shiny hair, and I can't hold a bun for more than 5 seconds with pins.

I'm starting to get tired of using the same clips for so long, but I don't have any ideas on how to pull my hair back. If I don't pull it back, I end up with a rats nest by the end of the day and when I untangle it all the hairs break....

I think maybe my hair is at an awkward length, so it's too short for most helpful styles (I'd like to be able to wear braids eventually)

Any ideas???

tralalalara
March 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
A couple years ago I discovered what I call a bunclip. It's a claw clip that has angled claws so it can wrap around a bun!

in the marketing world, I guess it's called an octopus clip: -link to a picture of one- (http://blogs.hairboutique.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/scunci_octopusclip_36168-n-black_200h.jpg)

I bought mine at either walmart or target.

yellowchariot
March 26th, 2010, 08:43 PM
To be honest, you should be able to do just about anything with the current length that you are at. Other than long elaborate updo's. Try YouTube'n or browse through the members photo galleries, you'll find a ton of great ideas. Peace out! :thumbsup:

simplysnuggle
March 27th, 2010, 12:11 AM
use the clip to hold up your bun! Make a small cinnabun and use the clip to horizontally hold the top part of the bun. You could also do twin buns to lessen the weight on the pins :)

Heavenly Locks
March 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I misread the title as "How to pull bLack short hair" and I thought...

Well, that's not very nice! *giggle*

I'd suggest doing braided buns :) They hold better for me.

argyle
March 27th, 2010, 12:59 AM
use the clip to hold up your bun! Make a small cinnabun and use the clip to horizontally hold the top part of the bun. You could also do twin buns to lessen the weight on the pins :)

Oh, but I have too much hair! The clip only perfectly holds the top part of my hair. I just tried to use a bigger clip, but all of my hair fell out of it (too shiny...never thought I would say this, but I wish my hair were thinner and duller! LOL)

To the other poster I will definitely look at those octopus clip things.

beez1717
March 27th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Any ideas on what to do that is non bun? As a guy I will have to know that!!!

electrocutions
March 27th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hmm...I actually just bought an octopus clip today! I definitely recommend it.

As for other styles, you can try French plaits if that helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To_JQrYyCs. Loose French plaits are my go-to style when I don't want my hair to be in a bun. When I used to have long hair, buns would be too heavy and my scalp would hurt. (I have collarbone-length hair right now, but I still manage to put my hair in a French braid).

If you decide to do the French plaits, you can just gather the remaining hair into a tidy low bun or ponytail instead of braiding all the way down. That way your hair won't stress your scalp and the short hairs can still stay together. Just shouting out some ideas.

Hope this helps! :flower:

Purdy Bear
March 27th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Theres lots and lots of things I can think of doing with your length of hair:

Braids from each side and joined at the back.
Lace braids across the top.
Alice bands

On you tube there is a video of a bun you can do without hair clips, bobby pins etc. it looks relatively easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA&feature=related

My imagination is endless, just think outside the box!

FrannyG
March 27th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Well, first of all you do not have short hair. It's just very thick for some updos yet. I suggest at your length and thickness:

French braid--long tail or tucked
Dutch Braid--long tail or tucked
Gibson Tuck
French Twist
Flipped English Braid (just make a regular single braid, flip up the tail and use a slide or barrette to hold it up)

Good luck! And by the way, your hair is lovely. :blossom:

-j-
March 27th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I would´ve also suggested french braid - I think your hair is long enough and a french braid doesn´t put pressure to a small area of head, so it probably won´t hurt your scalp(?)

(There is no other place where Argyle´s hair would be called "short hair"! :eek:)

Dani
March 27th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Oh man, I was really looking forward to getting new ideas for my hair. :p If your hair is short, I guess there isn't even a word for mine! hee. :D

Do twin braids down each side, right behind your ears, then lift each one up over the crown of your head and pin the ends together up top. That used to be one of my favorite comfy hairstyles... it can be done with hair around SL too. 8)

yellowchariot
March 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Well, first of all you do not have short hair. It's just very thick for some updos yet. I suggest at your length and thickness:

French braid--long tail or tucked
Dutch Braid--long tail or tucked
Gibson Tuck
French Twist
Flipped English Braid (just make a regular single braid, flip up the tail and use a slide or barrette to hold it up)

Good luck! And by the way, your hair is lovely. :blossom:

^ I agree! FrannyG has excellent ideas, and she is also a Jedi Master! :) This is wise council!

long.again
March 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Totally not short hair. :D

My hair is slightly shorter than your but I have way less of it. I would also suggest different braids.

What about that a Hairagami? Or a figure 8 clip?