PDA

View Full Version : Hair cut phases- best to grow long hair from

Purdy Bear
March 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Continuing with a positive mental attitude that my hair will start to grow again, what cuts are the best to grow long hair from.

I dont have hair at the moment, but I know its going to grow back, so it will start from 0.

Obviously I will need at some point to get the hair cut the same length, but what cuts from then on are the best (a Bob?).

At the moment I think when it gets to an inch all over Id have it cut even, or do you think its best to wait.

(NB Gail Porter, got her hair back after 5 years of complete baldness and bleached it straight away :rolleyes:)

Thanks for your advice.

Cailie
March 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Not sure... but maybe pictures along the way - depending on how you hair grows could be easier to comment on ? (:

Others with short hair will probably have great ideas for every length too

happy growing !

tralalalara
March 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think it would be easiest to keep it trimmed into style with a few layers until you get to arm pit length. Then keep trimming at that length until the rest catches up.

Otherwise, blunt cuts go through awkward flippy stages right after chin and just past shoulder.

Trimming and caring for the layer that grows from the top of the head is vital since once it gets as long as the rest, it is made up of the oldest hairs. So for a while, you may want to trim half as much off the top layers as you do the bottom ones so they can play catch up without accumulating more wear'n'tear than the bottom.

jera
March 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
A blunt cut seems to grow best because you don't have to deal with the potential damage caused by layers.

stinamoo
March 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM
**deleted**

countryhopper
March 27th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Have you read Igor's article about growing long hair from being bald? (or maybe she had about an inch of hair... can't remember....) Anyhow, she talks about each stage of growth and hair styles for each. Complete with pics. I think it took her 5-6 years to get to classic (I really need to reread that article, I'm getting a little blurry on the details!)

Very inspirational....!

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 06:29 AM
My hair is at ear lenght, i'll trim at this lenght until i have my natural color back, then i'll let it grow until it reaches a layered bob (without cutting layers, the grown out hair will do this on its own).

From there, when the shortest layer reaches APL, i'll even the hem line, because from shoulder to APL it gets awkward sometimes. And then just let it grow. :D

edit: typo.

lesbia
March 27th, 2010, 09:52 AM
If I very you, i'd let the hair grow without cut them NEVER, i think that nothing coulD be more natural than that, I'd love it :)

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
If I very you, i'd let the hair grow without cut them NEVER, i think that nothing coulD be more natural than that, I'd love it :)

I've tried...gets really "weird", like i had some sort of tail at the nape. Not so great. :p

Dreams_in_Pink
March 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I vote for APL. It's still considered long and it's also not likely to show any damage. That's also where successful buns start to form :3

But yeah, starting from 0 is pretty cool. You'd have no damaged ends that way :)

Bethie
March 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I started at a pixie cut, with the longest pieces being about 6 inches long. So I had my hairdresser cut the back of my hair up into a cheek length bob with lots of layers (due to the pixie cut). This way I have an even line in which to begin, with the layers to help add dimension and interest to my hair while it is going through the awkward stages of between chin and shoulder length. Currently my longest layers are almost to chin length.

jaine
March 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'm growing out this haircut and I haven't run into any truly weird phases yet... I think it helps that the top & sides started out longer than the back. That helps make it look more balanced and less mullety as it gets longer.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=59772&albumid=4650&dl=1268278738&thumb=1

I want a layered V-shape in the back when it's longer so I'm not planning to even it to a blunt cut (unless I get bored at my goal length)

nycstar
March 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I think it's best to stick with a bob (as you mentioned)... so let it grow out for a while. My mom is about reaching the bob length but just waiting for the top layers to catch up after her cancer treatment. It's really coming in fast.

jera
March 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
No help on the rest, but I suffer from alopecia areata as well and I bleach and dye it while I have the chance - the baldness won't be affected by it. I'm only growing my hair now that it's mostly filled in :)

Actually, it depends on the cause of the alopecia. Alopecia caused by an autoimmune disorder can react negatively to hair dyes and cause a flare up of the illness. Good to keep in mind. For alopecia, herbal hair tinting might work best. :)

stinamoo
March 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM
**deleted**