PDA

View Full Version : why you wash your hair frequently/not frequently

lesbia
March 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I was wondering about the frequence I wash my hair to find my best routine. Sameone wash the hair every day, others once a week. But why? I want to discover advantages and disadvantages in wash more or less frequently. Would you help me?

For example I noticed that: If I wash my hair less frequently:
- my ends feeling better (i have very fine hair)
- my scalp is oily after 2-3 days :mad:
- updos hold better
- my hair loss it's bigger

if i wash my hair frequently:
- I love let my hair down
- it means more and more split ends

and you? how much do you wash your hair? :)

Sara Smile
March 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Umm, the main reason I wash my hair once a week is because I don't like doing it: it takes a long to wash, a long time to detangle afterwards, and a long time to dry. So I put if off as long as possible.

restourceful
March 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I'm stretching to somewhere between a week and ten days. I wear my hair up mostly. My scalp is much happier. I do have greater shed when I wash, but I think it is because of wearing it up and less frequent washes. I have a hard time with one stick buns when it's really clean. I've noticed that, even though I only scalp wash, my length stays cleaner longer when I wear it up. Probably because I'm keeping my hands out of it.:cheese:

Bethie
March 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
currently I condish what little length I have and poo my scalp every other day, this is because my scalp is very oily. However we are about to hit summer when I have to wash my hair every day (and since my hair is still pretty short, I can't disguise an oily scalp with a nice updo). So I am transitioning into a CW only. But I am sure this routine will change once my hair is longer.

AJoifulNoise
March 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I am basically an everyday washer. I manage to skip one day a week and that's the day after I shampoo with regular shampoo. For the most part, I can't skip due to my oily, flaky scalp. It gets really, really itchy if I don't at least CO.

curlylocks85
March 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
If I was infrequently:
- My hair is less dry
- I have less dandruff
- My scalp has more time to produce sebum (my hair is
dry)
- Updos (braids, buns etc..) are easier

If I was frequently:
- My hair dries out faster
- I have more dandfuff
- I have more frizz
- I have to use more product
- My hair breaks and splits more easily

I have chosen to was infrequently (once a week).

MandyBeth
March 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I wash with shampoo almost every day. However, it's because it doesn't matter what my ends are doing - if I skip the wash, I get major sebum buildup that's incredibly itchy and I will start get zits on my scalp and the end result is I will have major breakage off at the scalp, which removes the length.

However, I do CWC and am starting to be able to keep the shampoo on my scalp only vs getting it on the ends because my hair is so short.

Peter
March 26th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I wash about once a week just because I don't like doing it. Longer shower, takes a long time to dry, don't like the feeling of wet hair, etc.

Forever_Sophie
March 26th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Currently, I wash 2x/week, mostly because I'm losing less hair this way.

In the past, before this site, I always washed every other day. For a while, I tried stretching that by a day and found the fall-out was MUCH worse, so I went back to every other...and I'm not sure how I got around to washing twice a week, but this is working great for me now! I think the length is healthier for it, too (not as dry as it would be otherwise).

asiajewel
March 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM
My hair is curly and dry. I like the way it feels after i wash it (soft). i know washing it everyday is bad, but my hair just feels so much better. I don't know what to do...
But i usually wash it within 3 days to a week.

ravensinger13
March 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I used to wash every day, producing constant dandruff; in a word, it sucked.

Right now I am COing every 3-4 days and skipping the occasional wash trying for a week. It just takes soooo long to dry. Sometimes I cave and only go a day or two if I just can't wait to try something new (DT's).

teela1978
March 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I wash whenever it starts to get oily at the roots, which usually means every 2-3 days. I also wash it if I've been exercising (e.g. my hair is soaked to about shoulderlength with sweat).

I feel like the point of having long hair to me is to enjoy it. I don't enjoy it if its greasy and doesn't look good down. So I do what I can to make sure I can enjoy it.

Monsterkitti
March 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I wash weekly occasionally going for longer and sometimes washing after 4 days or so just because it feels like it needs it.

Washing it is a pain, it take ages to dry and it just plain doesnt need it. Also I feel like im doing less damage to it washing less than I used to in combination with changing my products.

Any more than a week for me and its really starting to need a clean, much less than a week and it doesnt generally need a clean.

Liss
March 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I wash my hair every day because if I don't then I look like a grease ball. I hate the look and feel of greasy hair that also gets itchy. I've tried extending washes, but hated it, so I just wash my hair when I shower each morning.

marikamt
March 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
my newest routine (maybe last month or a little more) is scalp washing w/ sulfate free poo about every 3-4 days and COing the length I could probably go longer on the length w/out having to CO (maybe a week?) but I feel the need to protect it w/ condish when I do the scalp wash... sometimes I try to hold my length out of the way, but really it is just easy to CO the length

sometimes I do need to wash my bangs/ fringe a little more frequently (every other day), but not always- I think it depends on how much I am touching them/ sweeping them out of the way

this is working really well for me, the best out of everything I have tried. My scalp is happy and my length is happy, therefore I am happy.....

lindenblossom
March 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
For several years I tried going for long periods without some sort of washing. The longest I made it was two weeks back in 2006, but I didn't like it at all. I remember CO-ing after that two weeks, and it was *great*.

No matter how I try to stretch it out, I find I simply need to wash every 2-3 days. I used to do scalp washes but that got to be a hassle for me. When it gets really long, it might be easier keeping the length out of the water, but I honestly think it doesn't make much difference with my hair. It's not perfect hair, as I don't baby it, but stretching out washes or doing scalp-only didn't make it any better.

I don't use liquid shampoo that much, however--either soap, shampoo bars, or CO.

Washing when I feel I need to wash keeps things simpler and will keep me happier with long hair (and away from the scissors).

Leinaah
March 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I wash my hair every other day, just because I love to do so! It makes my hair feel super soft and smelling great! I also do a hair treatment every week!

Hiriel
March 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I wash my hair infrequently. The reason? I'm lazy :p

Stephichan
March 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I wash whenever I feel that I need to. I don't have any 'set' time frame for washing. Usually I end up washing every other day, but because of my dance classes, it can sometimes end up being everyday. If I do have to wash two days in a row, the second one will often be a CO.

Bene
March 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I don't have a set schedule for my hair. Currently I'm washing every 4-7 days. I tend to do washings on an as needed basis, so only when my hair just starts to feel greasy.

Cailie
March 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I try to wash the less often possible... about once a week right now. My hair is usually at it's best about the 3rd day after a wash.

Dientje
March 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I wash it when my hair gets so oily that I think it doesn't look good anymore. Which is really every other day. I wish I could stretch washing, but after many tries I have given up.

My scalp doesn't like bieing washed too much, so I only use diluted 'poo, which helps with the itchies. My length doens't care either way.

Honey39
March 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I condition-only wash my hair every day. I don't subscribe to the idea that it is good/bad for my hair, I like freshly washed hair, I like wearing my hair down, and my hair is thriving on this regime, and has done for the last two years.

I hated calculating when would be 'good' hair days (ie freshly washed), and when would not. I want fabulous hair every day! This is for my hair only, obviously, not a comment on other people's routines...

Aevra
March 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I do water only. And only when my hair seems to need it.... fortunately, since I"m lazy, that's once every few weeks or so. Lately though it hasn't needed it for about 3 and it still feels awesome and looks nice, unless I tell them, no one knows that I havn't washed my hair in a while.:p

ravenreed
March 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I wash about 3 times a week. If I go longer, my scalp hair looks flat and oily, even in updo's. Plus, I live in such a dry climate that my ends get dry and I need to add moisture by wetting them anyway. I hate doing it more than that because it takes so long for my hair to dry.

TiaKitty
March 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I don't have a schedule. Just when the top/crown get oily. In the winter it can be from 7 to 10days, and in the summer, more like 5 to 7 days.

If it's really oily or I've used a lot of anti-frizz spray, I clarify the roots. If it's just mildly oily/dirty, I like to CO it.

Heidi_234
March 26th, 2010, 01:40 PM
My hair is like a cat, it doesn't like being washed. :D

mimi1153
March 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The longer I can go, the better my last 4 or 5 inches, especially in the winter, I usually wash once a week in the winter months and 2-3 times a week in the summer months.

anneisanne
March 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I wash every other day, because:
-my hair gets too oily to handle by
-my scalp gets flakey
-my scalp gets itchy
-I love showering. I'm in a dorm, and the shower is the one place where I feel calm and in private, not to mention that the steam helps me breathe (no small feat)!

Arctic_Mama
March 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I wash about three times in two weeks, I'd say. I would wash less frequently but my scalp has issues and starts bugging me after about five days.

I also HATE washing my hair, I'm like a cat and can't stand getting it wet, as it STAYS wet all night and into the morning. I just spot-wash my fringe and wait until my scalp tells me it needs a wash, my ends are definitely happier with less washing than more!

TXbarbie
March 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I wash my hair every other day. Mainly because I have bangs and they get super oily-looking and even if I try to rinse them in the sink... they just look awful. So when I grow them out, I could probably wash my hair less often since the rest of my hair looks fine for days after a CO.

Plus I shower more often because sometimes I spend the night at my boyfriend's, and he loves the scent of my floral conditioners :)

tralalalara
March 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Plus I shower more often because sometimes I spend the night at my boyfriend's, and he loves the scent of my floral conditioners :)

I'm with you on that one. I always make sure that I wash before spending time with my boyfriend because he likes it when I wear it down, so he'll sneak up and take out my braids if he has to. He doesn't care if it's oily when it's down, but I do.

So on shower days that I'm sure I wont see him, I've only used conditioner.

Juliannaissance
March 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I wash my hair 2 times a week...I don't do it frequently because when I do my hair gets more tangled, frizzy and dry. When I wash it twice a week it is WAY softer and smoother, It looks more tame as well. :D

boomygrrl
March 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I wash my hair 4-5 times a week. I love freshly washed hair. I have curly hair that can easily feel dry, but I condition it well. My hair just looks fresher, bouncier, and feels so nice when it's freshly washed. I try to give it a break, just because, a few days a week, so I can sleep in and because it isn't too bad to skip it once in a while.
I dye my hair and I have been told that it will last longer if I wash it less. I think I'd rather have faded dyed hair and fresh looking, than longer lasting dye but ick looking. Plus, it's usually my roots showing that motivates me to dye my hair, and that's going to happen no matter how often I wash my hair.
My skin is oily (I still get acne at the age of 39. ) and my scalp really starts nagging at me if I skip more than a day. It gets extra itchy and I just feel dirty all over if I go two days without washing my hair. To me, skin care is more important than hair care (when I have to choose).

Sunny_side_up
March 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I was noticing that frequently washing my hair, everyday/other day made it feel like it was getting dry, though oiling helps. However my hair seems much happier and seems fine for me to wash it every third day maybe go for 4. Can depend on what ive been up to at work though, yesterday did my usual SLS free shampoo and loads of cone conditioner. Felt like i was in need of a hair rinsing today after a busy busy day at work, kept it claw clipped up only showering the front section and stuck to the water only. Its now naturally dried and feels great!:)
Sometimes just leaving it be or doing the simple route works wonders

MandaMom2Three
March 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I try to was as infrequently as possible, my hair is easily damaged so I want to manhandle it as little as possible :D. Once a week would be ideal.

sugarpixie10988
March 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I usually wash my hair every 2-3 days or so. I shampoo bar my scalp then condition the rest of my hair. I'd go longer if I could since I hate washing my hair, but it gets greasy and icky if I do.

TXbarbie
March 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'm with you on that one. I always make sure that I wash before spending time with my boyfriend because he likes it when I wear it down, so he'll sneak up and take out my braids if he has to. He doesn't care if it's oily when it's down, but I do.

So on shower days that I'm sure I wont see him, I've only used conditioner.

Boys are so particular about hair! My boyfriend is the same about styles - my hair is stick straight and he loves that.

I get my hair done for his fraternity's formals. I showed up to the first one with my hair in a fancy updo with curly ringlets, etc. The next time I went to get my hair done, he sent me 2 texts and called me to make sure I remembered to ask her to just blow dry my hair straight haha

Jeni
March 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I CWC wash every day though occasionally I will skip a day if I am feeling lazy and will not be leaving the house (meaning I'm spending all day in PJs vegging in front of the TV).

My scalp is OILY, extending washes never worked for me and after about a day and 1/2 my scalp starts to get very itchy and will break out if I go more then 2-3 days.

My ends are also dry and the longer I go without washing the dryer and more crispy they feel.

My hair is very fine and simply is a P.I.A. to put up when dry. My up does look better and stay longer if I put it up wet/damp.

Kelli Kat
March 26th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I originally began washing my hair once or twice a week to keep the color from fading too quickly. Now I only wash once a week, both to keep the color from fading and to help with damage.

pepperedmoth
March 26th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I wash with SLS free shampoo every week (usually on a Saturday morning, when I have time to fuss) and CO it maybe once in between.

If I shampoo my hair more frequently, even with such gentle shampoo, my hair gets dried out and brittle.

If I give up shampoo entirely (either CO or WO), my hair gets limp and flat.

If I don't CO in between washes, I get frizz.

I discovered this after YEARS of experimentation. ACV and baking soda only, water only, SLS free shampoo only, and conditioner only were only a FEW of the permutations I tried, not counting the many different brands of shampoo and condish.

I think most folks have similar stories- everyone's hair is unique.

Ash
March 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I wash daily with CWC on Mondays and CO the rest of the time using chemical free products. Some reasons - no itchy scalp, I can get a comb through my hair, it is soft and shinier, since I braid it when wet the braid stays in and is smoother, and when I wear it down I am happy with it.

If I didn't wash daily - itchy scalp, zits on scalp and hairline, crispy hair, very hard to comb, feels dry, lots more split ends, dryness, hair will not stay in a braid, it smells funny near the scalp and is limp at the top, I feel unclean which makes me unhappy and blah, and the list can go on.

melusine
March 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I wash my hair every couple of days, (occasionally leaving it for 3 days) and about once a week I try to leave oil in overnight before washing. I feel like it's a weigh up between enjoying the feel and look of my hair much more when it's clean and feeling more able to leave it out which is my preferred style (Ideally I'd enjoy washing it every day) vs. the fact that washing it too frequently causes dryness and more tendency for splits (I'm looking to go SLS-free soon so that might change things) and also seems to cause it to become greasier faster (I'm not sure if that's my imagination or not)

In summary:
If I wash my hair less frequently:
-I feel unclean and am more prone to breakouts
-My hair doesn't feel as dry because it gets more natural oil
-my hair is less fluffy/frizzy
- the overall speed at which it gets oily seems to slow down if I'm in a rhythm of washing it less

If i wash my hair frequently:
-much more enjoyable hair: I feel more comfortable and I enjoy wearing my hair down
-my hair gets greasier faster so I need to keep washing it regularly
-more split ends
- more dryness

So overall I tend towards washing it more regularly than I think would be best for my hair because my hair is more enjoyable to me that way, but I try not to wash it every day and I oil it to counteract the dryness.

walterSCAN
March 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I'm in the process of stretching washes-- at the moment I go 2-3 days between washes. I've always had really oily hair and hated it, and hated HAVING to wash my hair every day to look/ feel nice given my rather exhausting schedule. So, stretching washes has been nice for a few reasons:

1. If I need to, I can just. go. to. bed. and not worry about washing! Sleep = happiness!

2. My hair just feels so much nicer and doesn't seem to split as much/ tangle quite as much... it's always going to tangle, but it does tangle a bit less now.

3. Now, instead of having 12-ish hours of nice hair that I don't mind leaving down, I have at least 48!

4. I use even less 'poo/'dish, which is nice given that I have extremely limited funds.

5. I feel like my hair sheds less... may be true, may not be, but it feels that way. I definitely don't notice it as much as I did.

electrocutions
March 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM
My hair is still pretty short, so I usually wash my hair every other day. I'm still experimenting with different frequencies with washing and I also pay attention to the weather (I wash less when the air is humid and when it's winter time, and I wash more when it's hot).

Washing hair frequently:
- more frizz
- less sebum and buildup
- cleaner hair
- more shedding

Washing hair infrequently:
- less frizz
- easier to comb
- more sebum and buildup
- hair is oilier
- hair is straighter

I've also noticed it depends how I wash my hair that makes the difference. While CWC is the standard here on LHC, I'd have to say that if I washed my hair frequently (that is, everyday), I'd only condition and not shampoo. If I washed my hair infrequently, I'd definitely follow the CWC routine or otherwise shampoo more often.

If I had to choose for now, CWC ever other day to two days works fine with me, since I'm still allowing my hair to nourish itself with natural oils while still making sure it's clean. :thumbsup:

Athena's Owl
March 27th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I do not wash my hair often in the winter.

one, it's not really warm enough to have wet hair for ten hours, and that is how long it takes my hair to dry.

two, I don't wear it loose in the winter all the often, as I'm usually wearing winter hats at any time i'm outdoors.

in the summer, I do it more often. not because my hair gets more sebum production, but because I wear my hair loose in the summer more often, and styling my hair means starting from soaking wet.

Vermelha
March 28th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I wash my hair twice a week or less. I do it because my scalp doesn't really produce sebum, but I still exercise and that tends to cause my hair to frizz and be gross at the roots. If I must stretch out a shampoo to once a week, I massage an oil blend of castor and coconut into my scalp. It helps keep my scalp clean longer.

If I shampoo frequently:
My hair looks/starts to become dry and brittle.
More split ends and knots
My hair does look fuller and my scalp feels better.
It cuts down on shedding and those curly hairballs I get when I haven't washed in a while.

If I shampoo infrequently:
My hair looks shinier and smoother.
I get fewer splits and knots.
My scalp gets itchy and dry (but that is remedied with oil massages)
My hair feels softer and is more manageable on wash day.
I get curly hairballs that tend to cling onto my hair and tangle.

squee
March 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM
i wash 1time a week or so

my hair with doing this :
scalp gets oily only after 4 days or so
ends and length are happier
hair is more manageable
I can still wear my hair down most of the week if I wish to
hair does smell funny after day 3.....gota find a good dry shampoo and hair perfume stuff!
It only takes me 20-40mins to wash my hair and
10-20 to detangle after washing

StellaReade
March 28th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I wash my fringe every day with cone free conditioner, but have been able to stretch washing the rest to once a week. I also alternate between the cone free conditioner wash for all of it that one time a week, and washing with a shampoo bar the next week, etc.

EbonyCurls
March 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Infrequently:
-dry, split ends
-frizzy
-more tangles (due to dead hair probably)
-lose more hair in the shower
-oily flakes
-greasy roots
-hair looks fuller, and therefore looks nice up

Twice a week:
-roots and tips are moisturized
-more volume at roots
-hair is shinier and bouncier
-less frizz

Basically, holding out on washes is not a good thing for my hair. I used to try to wash only once a week, but then ended up having to rinse and repeat just to get it to the condition I wanted. My hair likes to be cleansed (to take out dead hair, pollutants, dust and particles, and hair products) and replenished (conditioner, leave-in). It maintains it's best balance that way.

masa_inn
March 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Two times a week is my minimum. If I wash less frequently, my scalp gets oily; and I lose so much hair during washing/detangling, it's just plain scary. I know there is a reason for the shedding (I'm curly and usually don't brush/comb between washes), but I still don't like to look at the dead hamster aka my shedded hair in the shower.

Phalaenopsis
March 29th, 2010, 12:53 AM
If I wash less frequently, my scalp gets superoily, my hair lays flat and the length starts to feel unpleasant, even a bit dry and scrunchy sometimes.

DecafJane
March 29th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I wash my hair most days because I run and end up sweating for several inches of scalp hair. It would be revolting if I didn't wash, and I don't think that sweat is great for hair, either. :P

ninelifewriter5
March 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I wash my hair infrequently (once a week, sometimes twice) because my hair really dislikes it if I wash often. It gets flat and frizzy and the curls/waves aren't there. When I wash my hair it's the no 'poo method, and WO in between. When I was like this once a week my hair has a lot more volume, the waves/curls are more dominant, it's softer, and much less frizzy. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good reason for my hair to wash frequently. It's like it gets the life washed out of it, haha.

-j-
March 29th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I used to wash only once or twice a week, but then got off the pill and my scalp started to get oily. Now I have to wash every other day or my hair looks oily and lumpy.

atlantaz3
March 29th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I love clean fresh hair, but basically I'm lazy. If I can push a wash to once a week, I'm happy. I blow dry because I don't like sitting around in wet hair, so less wash less blow dry. Plus I'm going to have to share the facilities soon, so washing in the am may not be an option. (DH is going to day shift and I've never had to be social in the AM ever!)

Naturelover
March 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I usually wash my hair every other day. I do tend to laze over the fact whenever my hair seems less oily.

JamieLeigh
March 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I used to wash 3 times a week at least, with shampoo and conditioner. But my hair always felt crunchy and dry. To be fair, this is before I discovered the benefits of oiling and SMTs, and also before the S&D days, but it seems like going conditioner-only once or twice a week has really helped the overall condition of my hair. It's always shiny, never frizzy (unless due to outside weather - and I wear it up all the time anyway, so not really a problem now), and non-crunchy on the ends. Basically, when I feel like I need to wash, I wash. It just happens to be FAR less frequently than I used to feel the need. Maybe my scalp has really changed, or maybe my perception of what is 'dirty' has changed.

So I guess past experience has pointed me to my current routine. :)

alles_klars
March 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I currently wash it every couple of days. I went through a phase when I was about 18 of only washing it once a week as I liked the way the waves looked after a couple of days. Last summer I washed it every 4/5 days... but in retrospect, in both cases it didn't look that great. Also, it's a nightmare to detangle if I don't wash it regularly. I don't like having to cut tangles out!

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'm amazed by how many people wash once a week!

I'm quite lucky in that I don't have any scalp problems, but ever since I moved to the city I've had to fight my hair to stay clean and not tangle. When I lived in London, the area where I lived still had wooden water mains from the Victorian era (!!) which were not scheduled to be replaced until just before the 2012 Olympics, so my hair pretty much stopped growing and I had to wash every single day or I would lose a lot and it would go all dry and crunchy. Montreal isn't so bad except my building was built just after WWII so it has lead in the pipes, which is again bad for hair, so I recently installed a shower filter which makes my ends so much softer .

I wash every day and a half to two days, I know I should wash every day (I can't put my hair up when dry, and it begins to tangle and then break in the shower if I push back my washings) but I just don't have the time for that. If the day had 28 hours then maybe I could find the time but there's just so much to do in a day!

NuclearMosquito
March 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Right now I wash about every four to five days. Mainly because I'm lazy, but also it keeps my scalp happier and I get less flakiness that way. If I've exercised heavily and sweated a lot I'll wash more frequently.

bumblebums
March 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I wash my hair once a week, but I also do a mid-week herbal rinse.

I actually lose less hair when I spread out my washes. When I shampooed every other day, I lost a hair wookie every time. Now it's just whatever I shed during the day.

I like not fussing about with my hair on most days of the week, and I like taking shorter showers.

Nae
March 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I actually lose less hair when I spread out my washes. When I shampooed every other day, I lost a hair wookie every time. Now it's just whatever I shed during the day.

:spitting::rollin::rollin: Hair wookie!!! That is the funniest thing I have heard all day!! Thanks for making my day Bumblebums! :D

nmarie33
March 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I've been washing about every 4 months with shikakai/amla. I just wait until it is starting to be pretty greasy and I can't wash the grease out with just water. I probably WO wash about once a week. The last time I did an herbal wash, my hair didn't even feel gross enough to need it, but I had just come home from Vegas and I stunk of cigarette smoke SO bad!

For me, once I got through the first few months of WO and washed once, my hair has become more and more low-maintenance.

shwankie
March 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I scalp wash daily, but never wash my ends. I have a medical condition that means my scalp gets really oily (which doesn't show if I wash daily); but, even if I didn't have that I'd need to wash daily just because of my lifestyle. I'm very active, and teach several fitness classes a week in addition to doing my own workouts, swimming, hiking, etc. I sweat a *lot*, and not washing would mean a pretty nasty smell pretty quickly.

Also, and I am not sure if anyone else has this problem, by my hair picks up ambient smells instantly. Since I cook for a living, that means it will smell like a variety of foodstuffs by the time I am done. While I love the smell of my own cooking, I don't necessarily want my hair to be scented that way.

rachelily
March 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
My hair deflates quickly if I don't wash it, so I do it about 2 times a week now. I can also get away with second-day hair much easier this way, without looking like a total greaseball.

Marjolein
March 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
For me itīs exactly what Shwanky said! I exercise at least 4 days a week, and I wash my hair (usually CWC) just as many days.

I naturally have a very oily scalp, and do not have the hairtype to hide this easily, so even if I wouldn't exercise I'd still need to wash my hair every other day.

And my hair also picks up nasty smells (cooking, smoke) quickly, but releases them sloooowly - Yuck!

Rhiannon7
March 31st, 2010, 03:40 AM
My usual routine is washing once or twice a week. it helps my hair feel less dry and have less splits and damage. but it does get greasy. my braids and buns hold better when i stretch out the washes. and basically sometimes i am just lazy. takes me 45 minutes in the shower to wash and condition (mostly because i leave the conditioner in for 15 minutes or more.) and sometimes i just don't feel like spending so much time on my hair more often.

I can go for up to 25 days without washing my hair, but that causes alot of tangles and dryness so i preffer once a week.

When i did wash daily my hair was drier, tangled more and was greasier than now that i stretch the washes to once or twice a week. my hair is baby fine, and usually i wear it up in a braid or bun so i do not worry much about greasies, they go away once your scalp gets used to stretching poos. ( for me the greasies went away within 4 months.)

Plus the sebum helps keep hair moisturized and protect it. as the week ends and the time for washing gets nearer your hair might smell some (in summer mostly) but i use a nice medieval tactic, put a few drops of perfumed oil on my scalp, helps hair feel fresher and gives you a nice, scent to the hair that people will notice and compliment on.

So even if i am a fine haired lady i preffer stretching the washes to once a week. it's better for my hair and scalp and gives me more time to spend on other things.

Lemur_Catta
March 31st, 2010, 03:45 AM
Also, and I am not sure if anyone else has this problem, by my hair picks up ambient smells instantly. Since I cook for a living, that means it will smell like a variety of foodstuffs by the time I am done. While I love the smell of my own cooking, I don't necessarily want my hair to be scented that way.

I have this problem too! Whenever I cook, stay in smoky environments or things like that, I can feel the smell in my hair after a few minutes. Most of the times, no one else notices it but me.

I wash frequently because I exercise 3x week. If I didn't, I would probably wash 2x week. I usually CWC, but when I feel my ends need shampoo I shampoo and condition only. I always apply shampoo on roots only, and then the rinse cleans the ends.

Vermelha
March 31st, 2010, 04:05 AM
I scalp wash daily, but never wash my ends. I have a medical condition that means my scalp gets really oily (which doesn't show if I wash daily); but, even if I didn't have that I'd need to wash daily just because of my lifestyle. I'm very active, and teach several fitness classes a week in addition to doing my own workouts, swimming, hiking, etc. I sweat a *lot*, and not washing would mean a pretty nasty smell pretty quickly.

I am totally the same. I sometimes make plantains in the morning to take with me to class/work, and I definitely smelled like tostones and canola oil. I tie my hair up before cooking to avoid that..but if it's the weekend I don't mind :D

TXbarbie
March 31st, 2010, 04:37 AM
Since this forum started, I have been trying out a little experiment!

My OP stated that I wash my hair every other day.

This past week I've only washed my hair twice.. CO both times and applied some baby powder the day before the second wash since my hair was noticeably greasy and I had a job interview.

My hair is WAY less frizzy and holds updos way better as the days progressed. Plus I actually gained some volume....? :cheer: I have very fine hair that usually just hangs quite limp.

Too bad I work at a bar where we must wear our hair down (we are graded on appearance before each shift - too many Fs and you're fired) otherwise I would be able to stretch out washings.

geosangel
March 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
I CO my hair maybe 2 times a week, sometimes 3 , depending on if it gets muddy from riding atv's, which I try to avoid but sometimes it can't be helped.