PDA

View Full Version : Considering a pixie cut.. help? =[

Kalyca
March 26th, 2010, 07:04 AM
So I've been thinking about getting my hair cut into a pixie because that would remove just about all of the damage I've accumulated from using a blowfryer in the past. I had my haircut into a jaw length (ish) bob back in November and I have been trying to grow it out the damage since then but I get so depressed sometimes. It's neck length now and there's absolutely nothing I can really do with it at this length besides a pony tail, or a mini halfup and it just feels so ridiculous to me! I'm getting fed up with it and I have a major urge to cut it but I don't know if that's the best decision.. I know if I get it cut into a pixie I'll have to start from scratch again and they aren't the most graceful style to grow out.
plus, my hair behaves really weirdly when it's short, and the ends like to "flip" out and curl and wave and all this weird stuff. you know? so if i got a pixie it would probably be inevitable that I would have to blowfry it to some extent so it will behave and not go wonky on me. :rolleyes: my hair stats can be seen on the side.. i think it's pretty accurate. it's kind of dry sometimes, and coarse. has anyone with my hairtype had success with a pixie? with minimal upkeep?
are there any other options besides hacking it all off? maybe some kind of layers but it would have to be on my canopy cause there's where most of the damage is.. i just really need a change and I want to feel attractive again..

I might try to post a picture once I can figure it out.. to give you guys an idea of what my hair is like.

Kalyca
March 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM
this was in december.
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/euriaa/dec10200901.jpg
and this is march. i know it's kind of tiny and they're sideways but.. oh well lol
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af213/euriaa/cp1_0310001719.jpg
i hope those work.

lora410
March 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
my hair behaves really weirdly when it's short, and the ends like to "flip" out and curl and wave and all this weird stuff. You just answered your own question. Let me tell I had my hair as short as 2" (not by choice) and if you keep cutting you have to keep re-growing it back out

natt i nord
March 26th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I don't think your hair looks that bad, I actually like it!

I'd say let it grow and baby the ends until you are at about APL, then begin to mini-trim every month to get the damage out. At that point you might be able to do some more styles :)

CrisDee
March 26th, 2010, 07:56 AM
As a current pixie grower-outer, my response, of course, is

NOOOOOOOOO!!!:D

I'd definitely stay with a bob - if you feel there's damage, just continue to trim to bob until the damage is grown out. Growing out a pixie is just hateful, there's pretty much no graceful way to do it, you have to go through so many unattractive stages before it starts looking decent. Have you tried any DTs? Maybe some henna or cassia? Maybe it's just my current half grown pixie talking, but my advice is to run away from the :scissors:!

minnie may
March 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM
doesnt look bad at all.
I have a different Hairtype but I had a pixie once and I had long layers.
If you are aiming for an even length past shoulders I would'nt recommend either. both styles are a real PITA to grow out.
I had to use a blowfryer and hairgel daily when I had a pixie. It looked cute but was horibbly timeconsuming and damaging to keep nice looking. And there is no graceful way to grow this out to the stage you have now. You would end up just where you are now anyway.

With Layers it's a bit different.
If they are long layers on the full lenght of hair - or say from apl to waist as I had them - that would take ages to grow out again and is very frustating.
but if you just want to keep your hair tidy while growing out more it might be an idea to just layer the last 2 inches or so of your hair. it looks as if you already have that in the pics, but that might just look that way due to your wave pattern. That way you could tidy up your hemline with very small trims every so often while you have the feeling of doing something about the old damage and still gaining lenght. there is a good post/tread by nightingale out there about babying your ends while growing out damage/layers and trimming half your monthly growth to gradually get rid of it.

HTH!

minnie may

damn, others got there first

Dreams_in_Pink
March 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I say, keep on growing. The problems you're facing now aren't about damaged hair, they're about the "awkward phase" you're in. If you keep on cutting back to look "nice", you'll never get to BSL.

I know how hard and depressing that is; i just got out of the same phase myself! I strongly advise you to look into some kind of clip-in extensions that'll help you regain confidence about your hair. I really don't think you need them but if you're feeling depressed with your length that could really work. Just do not cut it.

...Unless you're happier with a pixie than with BSL hair.

nycstar
March 26th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Don't do it!! If you're anything like me--you'll regret it!!! Stick it out. Let it grow... I'm in my own, as I like to call it, Layer Hell. Stay strong until you get more length.
In the meantime, please know that the cut you are currently sporting looks adorable on you! & just remember that hair does grow :)

SHELIAANN1969
March 26th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The more you cut your hair, the more times you have to go through the awkward phase.

If you want to cut, then you should do it, if you want to grow, then don't cut. It's your personal choice.

Dani
March 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Oh man, don't do it. I have been there, done that, and will never go there again. :p People with our hair type are meant to have shoulder-length or longer hair (but that's just my opinion from the experiences I've gone through with my own noggin')... for ease of caring for, etc, is what I mean. Thick, wavy hair that's short is just a royal pain in the ash. :pumpkin:

I had BSL natural hair that was in perfect shape and on a whim (well it was driving me crazy, too) I chopped it to shoulders, then a couple days later to chin, then into a pixie. That was about three years ago and I have never been to shoulder yet! It was the most hellish thing to grow out, and since I cut my own hair, I trimmed it up and whatnot waaay too much over the past few years. This past fall and the last couple months I've been dyeing and highlighting and messing with my hair in general, just 'cause I wanted to have something different (my hair was neck-almost SL in this time). Well, last week I chopped it up into an awesome short cut that is longer in front and shorter in the back/middle, but I cut off a lot of that damage that I'd done to it in the last six months, which is good. But I was top of shoulder, finally! Before last week. :p

But I am so determined to seriously grow it to at least APL this time. I'm not going to cut it for a year, or more, hopefully. My point is, I KNOW how hard it is to have that in between chin-shoulder-length hair, and it can suck. But if we just put it up (in any way) and leave it alone for a while, it will get longer and longer. I just have to not mess with it when I get massively bored of it at neck-SL, otherwise I'll want to cut that damage off... Again! I keep sabotaging myself, over and over again, and I can't do it anymore, lol. My cut now is cute, but it doesn't really suit me, and a pixie cut definitely doesn't suit me. Pixie cuts are a gigantic pain to grow out, but if you really want to go there, do it, but THINK A LOT beforehand! Something's wrong with me, though... I couldn't just straight up grow out my pixie like it seems most people do. I cut it way too much and didn't just let it be. So if you do get a pixie someday, then want to grow it out, just let it go about it's way. Otherwise you might still be at chin length like me, over three years later. :p

Also, there is no need for a blowdryer at all (but if you live in AK or somewhere far north, I'll let you off the hook ;)); I haven't used one in 10 years. It just made my hair dry and frizzy and took out all my waves. Just condition the bottom half of your hair in the shower, then shampoo your scalp, then rinse, and condition the length and rinse again. That will keep your bottom length protected and get it the moisture it needs. Use some coconut oil on your damp ends and length after a shower; do SMT's (mix of cone-free condish/aloe vera/honey), and you'll be on your way. If you really have damage, just do a microtrim every couple months (or whatever you want - read Nightshade's awesome damaged hair article). I am doing all these things and will continue to do so for a long time to come. ;)

Damage from a blowdryer isn't much. You don't have massive bleach damage or anything, just dryness, mostly! So I see no reason to get a pixie going unless it was absolutely necessary, or you just really want to try it out. :) I hope this helps a bit.

ETA: I forgot to make the point that I loved my new shorter cut for about two days, and I am already so over it. :p I'm really excited to let it go, for once. I know I can do it. But first I need to find a really, really good hiding place for my scissors. Like, that kind of hiding place that's so good, you can never find it again. ;)

sally_neuf
March 26th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Oh I'm so sorry you are feeling sad for this, but really if it's just for damage and urge don't do it.

I had a pixie and I really liked it, but it was because I wanted to do a haircut for fun, for trying, and that's not nearly your case, if you do it because you are feeling stressed because it doesn't grow, having a pixie definitly won't speed things up!

I suggest you to do a mini-challenge, like, don't let anyone see your full ponytail in two months, just keep the ends tucked it, and don't see your back hair in the mirror for 2 months!
I did this, and when the time was over I was thrilled that it really had grow!! and since no one had seen my hair, they were all like "wow, your hair is long now!!" (I have had a pixie for more than 5 years)

ETA: don't let damage be your excuse! My ends are twice chemically dyed, and I haven't cut them since dec 2008 :P

Dani
March 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I'd say let it grow and baby the ends until you are at about APL, then begin to mini-trim every month to get the damage out. At that point you might be able to do some more styles :)

That is a fantastic idea! Methinks I shall do that. :D

Kalyca, seeing your hair now, I totally get why it's bugging you, because that was the hardest length for me, Right There. But it will pass so quickly it's not even funny. Give it moisture, give it a braid or two on top (or a small french braid or two on top, ending in english braids down the back), or mini pigtails at the bottom, and before you know it you'll be able to have real pigtails and be able to do twin french braids for a gorgeous updo look. There are actually a lot of things we can do with this length, it's just hard to *think* of them first, that's all. ;) Look up short hairstyles (or start a thread? :D), or look in the mirror with all your accessories nearby and see what you can come up with.

First, get yourself a blue glass spray bottle, add some distilled water and a some lavender eo, shake it and spray the super-relaxing misty goodness on your head (and face, and neck, and under arms.. :p), then melt half a teaspoon of unrefined coconut oil in your hands and rub them together. Lean your head to one side and spread your hands over your ends on that side, then tip your head over the other way and spread the CO on your ends, then do the same on your length on both sides. That's how I do it anyway, an my hair couldn't live without it. You get great smelling, moisturized hair, and the other great part for people with our hair type is that it chills our hair out- tames the frizziness and makes the waves beautiful and lay down a bit. And once we get our hair longer, it will look amazing. I've been there, I know. :D :p

Bethie
March 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
If you just want a pixie because you are in that awkward phase, then I vote Don't do it!! I am growing out a pixie, and have recently had the ends cut 1/4 inches to create a cheek length bob and am growing that out. Let me tell you, it is a pain. I can't wait until I reach chin length, then I can actually do something with my hair.

However if you are happy with a pixie then go for it. But know that you have just delayed the awkward phase, it will come back and you will have to decided if you should cut again or not (at least that is my cycle).

If you are worried about damage, then just do little micro trims every month until the damage is gone, or you can do what others have suggested, wait until you are shoulder-APL and trim just a bit of the ends, less than the overall growth, but a small trim just the same.

GeoJ
March 26th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I have grown out from a pixie and from a chin length bob. I can tell you that it is easier and faster to grow out the bob- it is longer to start with, and all of the ends are about even, making trims easier and more effective. Growing out from the pixie included even more unsightly odd stages than the bob did. Both times I simply let my hair grow with minimal trimming.

I also must say that your hair looks WAY better than mine did when I was at your length. I think your hair looks good, mine was frizzy and flipping out all over the place.

skay
March 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hi Kalyca,

It sounds like you're in the awkward phase. With wavy hair this can happen. I suggest letting it grow - it'll look great longer and wavier. In addition, it'll be tamer as well as the length will add gravity.

In the meantime, perhaps rolling the sides of your hair and pinning it back, clipping your hair on top or some headbands that fit your style.

MandyBeth
March 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I'm in very much the same boat as you.... Damage on most of the length, chin/neck length.

I know that a 1" chop is going to give me the same ends as a 1/4" dusting. Which means I'm not so tempted to cut 1" off all over - tho to even up everything to kill the grow out mullet, parts may loose a bit more.

Right now, I also HATE most of my hair. Gak, it does nothing and it's so tired and dried out and frizzy. But also, I do NOT want to go thru the 12+ months to get back to this.

So I know my growth rate is about 1/2" a month. So to get rid of the damage slowly, still grow out (tho much slower) and keep the ends half way reasonable - I trim 1/4" every 4 weeks.

However, today after having 1/2 oz of oil on my head overnight (adding that to the list of things I do in my sleep), my hair feels much better overall and I don't feel like the majority of the length is that bad. Sure, the bottom 3" are bad - but the 8" or so? It's ok at least for now.

Leena7
March 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Pixie cuts have the worst awkward phases of all. I was just looking back at some of my old pictures on Facebook and realized that the whole time I was growing out my pixie (many many months!) I looked ridiculous. It took months for me to be able to manage a chin length bob. A bob is a much easier place to grow from. I would only recommend a pixie to people who really love the style on them, to people who want to try anything once and to people prepared to deal with a very very awkward grow out if they ever want a change in style.

nycstar
March 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM
The more you cut your hair, the more times you have to go through the awkward phase.

If you want to cut, then you should do it, if you want to grow, then don't cut. It's your personal choice.

Sheliaann: SO TRUE!!! I can't say this enough & have battled with it! :confused:

Toadstool
March 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
plus, my hair behaves really weirdly when it's short, and the ends like to "flip" out and curl and wave and all this weird stuff. you know? so if i got a pixie it would probably be inevitable that I would have to blowfry it to some extent so it will behave and not go wonky on me. :rolleyes: my hair stats can be seen on the side.. i think it's pretty accurate. it's kind of dry sometimes, and coarse. has anyone with my hairtype had success with a pixie? with minimal upkeep?
Yes me! The only upkeep though is i have to have it trimmed regularly ie every six weeks or so.

pennyroyal
March 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
As a current pixie grower-outer, my response, of course, is

NOOOOOOOOO!!!:D

I'd definitely stay with a bob - if you feel there's damage, just continue to trim to bob until the damage is grown out. Growing out a pixie is just hateful, there's pretty much no graceful way to do it, you have to go through so many unattractive stages before it starts looking decent. Have you tried any DTs? Maybe some henna or cassia? Maybe it's just my current half grown pixie talking, but my advice is to run away from the :scissors:!
yea, i am with CrisDee on this one. I have a pixie too & growin it out is not fun/easy! i like your hair now! let it grow, that's my advice. :)

Purdy Bear
March 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
If at any time you want to try a hairstyle or colour get a wig first in that style or colour. You can get them very cheaply on Ebay (which Iv had to do), and most are pretty good.

Id see how I looked first with that. You could even try wearing it until your damaged hair has grown a little longer.

Its good to note the hair only grows about half an inch a month, so how many months would you be cutting off!

lapushka
March 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't recommend a pixie at all. Terrible upkeep, as you yourself stated. So why go back to that? Compared to that, I bet this stage isn't that bad at all.

Besides, I can't see any damage at all! It looks okay to me. And look how much it's grown in between pics already!

little_cherry
March 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I agree with what has been said above- don't do it.

How about a micro-trim and an SMT?

mommat04
March 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm currently growing out a pixie and it is DREADFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the layers, the mullet, the horror! But seriously I would really try to work with your hair as is and just keep trimming. If you go really short you'll just end up where you are now in a year. I think your hair looks great!

Thinthondiel
March 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I agree with everyone else - don't! Thick, wavy hair is horrible to grow out from a pixie. I'd post a picture of warning (of me while I was growing out a pixie), but I can't seem to find one.

LaurelSpring
March 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
You are in an awkward phase. This is when its most tempting to cut. They come and go througout the growth phases. If you cut it you wont make any progress. You many have a cute style you will like for about a week or so and then you will regret it and wish you hadnt done it and you will be that much further from your goal. That was my pattern for years anyway.

You have to want long hair more than a cute temporary style. Until you want it that bad you will usually give in to the temptation to cut. It takes alot of patience and dedication but for me its worth it. Its a whole new mind set.

curlylocks85
March 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Your hair does not look all that damaged to me. Since your hair acts weird when it is short and you would end up blow frying anyway, maybe you could let it grow to your collar and then cut it back to where your longest portion is and keep doing it until your hair is completely virgin. Then you can grow from a healthy starting point.

Arctic_Mama
March 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have to add to the chorus - don't do it! It is SO counterproductive to growing your length out, and a pixie is an exceptionally difficult cut to grow, at that. Baby it as is for another year, and then if the damage is still bugging you, maintain it at APL and trim every few months until the worst of it is gone. This is SUCH a tough length, it's really not long enough to do much with but not short enough to be 'fashionable'. If you can just stick it out a little longer with headbands, clips, and half ups, your patience will be well rewarded!

Paniscus
March 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Keep growing! YOu are at that awkward.. annoying stage of growth. Just keep growing if you really do wish for long hair, and soon, it will be past your shoulders and from there, you'll be amazed at how fast it grows (seems to). But for some reason, for me anyway, the stage you're at was the hardest. It seemed to take forever to get to my shoulders and beyond.

Just forget about length at present... ignore it even. Think of ways to make your hair the healthiest you can, try new hair toys or parting your hair differently; just anything to get you through this stage! Good luck though with any decision you make. Pixies can be cute too, but with long hair, you can have it both ways (wearing it up gives you the short pixie feel). As Sheliaanne1969 said, it's a personal choice...just make sure you will not regret it later!

Sunny_side_up
March 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Keep growing! Your hair looks nice in the pics, give it a couple more months and hopefully another pic taken will show you progress:)

Kalyca
March 26th, 2010, 11:02 PM
thanks guys, i really appreciate all of the support and encouragement. i think cutting my hair into a pixie would be a huge mistake i would soon regret. i'm just gonna stick it out and start doing some mini trims once my hair reaches shoulder or so. =]

wtchmel
March 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Based on the pictures, your hair is fine. leave it be. you're over analyzing it, it's thick and looks healthy. I'm sure there are tons of people who would give anything for your thickness. Let it grow, and then do trims. A watched pot never boils, i think some of the people who've been doing this for a while will tell you this. put it up and leave it for a bit, and it'll pass.:)

oh, and i edit because i see you've responded,lol, i have a tendency to reply without reading through the whole threads. Good luck.

Kalyca
March 26th, 2010, 11:45 PM
wtchmel, thanks! i guess i do sometimes take it for granted. i'm glad my hair is thick, it's just unruly and rebellious sometimes.. haha and this awkward stage of growth doesn't help but i'm gonna get through it. i bought some more headbands today. =]

hanne jensen
March 27th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Have you considered micro-trims? Also called dusting? Please read Nightshade's article on growing out damaged hair. It's in the articles section. It has really helped me, and my hair is finally GROWING!

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Your hair looks great the way it is. I'm at ear lenght, wanting longer but also to grow out my natural color, so i might keep trimming at this lenght until i have all my hair natural again, still not sure. :p

Kalyca
March 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
hanne jensen, yeah i have considered doing some dusting.. i'll probably do it soon to even out the length a little.

annitta, thanks! good luck on growing out your hair. we can do it =]

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM
hanne jensen, yeah i have considered doing some dusting.. i'll probably do it soon to even out the length a little.

annitta, thanks! good luck on growing out your hair. we can do it =]

Thanks for the support! :)

peachykeen42
March 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have had two friends do pixie cuts and both hated it and it didnt suit them. They were both miserable growing it out, I would be very careful making this decision!! I think your hair looks really cute.