PDA

View Full Version : I think my hair needs moisture

windinherhair
March 26th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I think my hair really needs a moisture treatment. My routine since joining LHC has been: organic shampoo scalp washes, and conditioning the lengths. I rinse completely, then rinse again with ACV. I let my hair air dry, and later I apply camilla oil. I repeat this same routine every 4 to 7 days. This has always worked really well for me.

I read the article again about To Cone or not to Cone. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) Although oil has always made my hair feel soft and silky before, I feel it has that crunchy and dry feeling expressed in the article above. I really think my hair needs a moisture treatment. I'm just not sure what I should do since I have not needed that before until now.

I could try my organic conditioner and leave it in my damp hair over night. Would that be considered a good moisture treatment? I'm not sure if I am ready to use cones again after my hair has been used to going without it for so long. Of course I want what is best for my hair, and that it gets the moisture it needs. My biggest concern about cones, in the article it states that it requires a detergent or sulfate shampoo to remove? I dont know if this would apply to me if I would only use the cones one time for a deep conditioning treatment. Wouldn't my organic conditioner do the same? The thing with cones is they lock in the moisture, right?

Any suggestions for a natural, yet simple, moisture treatment that has just as good results?

Katze
March 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I really like SMT with natural conditioner. It always does the trick. When my hair is just feeling dry and nothing helps, and/or my scalp is itchy or crusty, SMT really makes a difference. When I feel like my hair is just 'blah' I sometimes do SMTs with every wash (but this is hard to do when you work AND have a baby!)

SMTs really rescued my hair and scalp so I am a bit biased.

hth!

Gothic Lolita
March 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM
It is aslo possible that you have oil built up un your length. A wash with your normal shampoo should take care of that. After that you still can use your organic conditioner as a moisture treatment. Simply apply it all over, leave it on as long as you wish and rinse. To make it even more moisturizing you could, as Katze suggested, add a few ingredinets to make an SMT. For example you could use Aloe Vera gel, honey, but also add oil, plain organic yoghurt, but also mix different conditioners together.

aisling
March 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I think you should start by clarifying as not only cones may cause buildup. everything you write makes me think you have buildup, using a probably gentle shampoo on scalp only, conditioning the length, oils that have stopped working and a routine that you've had for quite a while. A harsher sulfate shampoo is nothing evil at all, use it!

Carolyn
March 26th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Cones can lock in moisture if your hair is already well moisturized. But they will also lock out much needed moisture if your hair is dry. I agree with Aisling, the first thing to do when having a hair problem is to clarify your hair and go from there.

Fethenwen
March 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hmm, I do wonder if I have an oil build up going on too? I have been pre-oiling my hair quite much lately, and alway on dry hair. I wash my hair with indian herbs at the moment, I was suspecting I was using a too strong dilution of the herbs so they dry out my hair.

But what if it's the oils that lock out moisture :hmm: Maybe I should try and oil my hair when it's wet next time, I'm afraid in my case, clarifying would make my hair super frizzy in this state.

But to the OP I recommend clarifying if you feel your hair needs it, and an SMT to follow.

MandaMom2Three
March 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've had wonderful results from an overnight catnip soak! I just make a mug of catnip tea, dip my ponytail in then tie a bag around my ponytail and go to bed. I rinse out in the morning. Feels wonderful! I wish I could do that right now but I packed my catnip LOL. I wonder if hibiscus would work as well :hmm: . I think I know what I'm doing tonight :D

windinherhair
March 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I will check out much-recommended SMT! :thumbsup:

I think I may have built up on my length too, so I will do a complete wash next time. I can't remember the last time I did that, but it has been a while. :) I just get so used to my routine, and there has been a lot going on for me right now, I've had a lot on my mind. I will read more about the help from catnip too.

windinherhair
March 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Thank you SMT!!! :cheese: It really worked well. ;)