PDA

View Full Version : In LAYER HELL!!

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I just joined the "No Trimming Club" via another thread, and I intend to hold to my vow. However, I need a little input...about six months ago, I deluded myself into thinking that long layers would better suit me--Wrong! I had healthy all one-length hair with an even hem line. Thankfully, when I got my layers, I also kept the long length in the back (reaching almost TB) but it bothers me to see my hair from the back (of course via pics & the mirror). I MISS my "uninterrupted" hair. :( I need advice on how to deal while I let my hair grow to my goal length. I plan on letting my hair grow out until my shortest layers (which are BSL) reach my waist. Of course, the rest of my hair will be super long by then (with fairytale ends, which I'm not accustomed to sporting). Here's a pic of what I'm struggling with.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac259/nycstar1/Hair%20Diaries/phase1.jpg

ETA: (sorry for posting such a large photo)

Yayasmurf
March 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hang in there girl.. I'm in Layer Hell too! :p

No advice... just hang in there! I have alleviated several layers already but it has been a slow process.

Addy
March 25th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Oof! I'm there too!

pennyroyal
March 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
i think your hair looks pretty! :)

Tovah
March 25th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'm dealing with layers too, but fortunately they were cut when my hair was just a bit longer than chin length, so I only have about 6 inches to deal with. But for a 'beginner' like me, that's a lifetime! What's worse is that I cut bangs about a month ago and now I'm dying to grow them out. I have a big event toward the end of May and I rue the day I cut them.

BTW, your hair looks great.

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thank you guys! I really dislike the "growing out" stage. BTW, Tovah... a couple of years back I let someone talk me into getting side swept bangs. I liked them for about two days then totally regretted them and pinned them to the side in an effort to get the growing out stage started! I feel like I keep making the same mistake. I learned my lesson and can't wait until my shortest layers are at a length where I feel comfortable enough to even the hem line (which will take FOREVER). Any suggestions for hairstyles... I'm tired of up-dos and don't want to hurt my hair with hair toys. I also hear that wearing your hair in curls/waves diminishes the look of layers at the bottom. This will take some effort on my part because my hair is naturally straight (and I'll do this without adding product to my hair).

HintOfMint
March 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Don't stress, my shortest layer (excluding the face framing ones which I'm keeping) is barely APL, and I'm growing to hip. It's going to be a long journey, but we'll both be fine. Your hair still looks quite nice, for what it's worth.

As far as hairstyles go, since you're not for updos, how about braids? Crown braids, mini french/dutch braids in the front, a braided headband... etc. are all quite cute.

LaurelSpring
March 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I so feel your pain! I have been going through this forever. I had what I called my rat tail taper for a long time. In august I got most of the tail cut off but then for some crazy reason I really missed it! I do love that I have a more even hemline now. I still do have some layers and my ends are still thinner than I would like but its getting there slowly but surely. If I had my tail, the tail would be past waist now. The darn thing with layers is that when I did cut my tail there was still more tail just higher. I have resisted any more urges at the moment to cut and I am just going to stick it out with dustings. Cutting the tail turned out to be too traumatic for me so I would suggest mini trims to gradually even it up.

lillylonghair
March 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I've never had hair as long as yours but I have grown out some veeerry short cuts. My method was to wait until I couldn't stand(usually 6-8 months) and then just get and or two taken off just so it didn't look so "off".

ericthegreat
March 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Your hair is beautiful nycstar :grouphug:. Speaking as a hairstylist, I actually love the shape of your haircut, and your hemline is growing into a beautiful V-shape. From what I can clearly see, your particular hairtype is thick and full enough to support layers in your hair, believe me when I tell you it looks very good!

Very long hair doesn't necessarily have to be cut into a strict, blunt one-length cut in order for it to look beautiful. Long layers, U-shapes and V-shapes are also very attractive styles for long hair to fall in. To be honest, I actually prefer long hair to have some layers. They offer more versatility when it comes to styling, when you style long layered hair curly, the layers give the curls a very attractive outline. Also, especially for someone with very thick iii hair, layers can reduce the amount of heavy weight they can feel on their head without completely removing all the length.

RecklessCharlie
March 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I feel your frustration! Currently growing out loads of long layers that resulted from a shag haircut a few years back. Hang in there! I found that if I just ignored them to the best of my ability, it was easier to deal with and they are growing out, not as fast as I'd prefer, but they are growing!
And be consoled in the fact that even though your hair know isn't how you'd really like it to be, it doesn't look bad! :)

Katurday
March 25th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I was the crazy types when growing out my personal layer hell - the boy cut. We're talking MULLET hell here. My answer? Suffer through a year, then cut all one length. Its traumatic, its terrible, its a jump, its a risk, its a waste of perfectly good length... It was a great idea actually, and made me feel better in the long run.

Arctic_Mama
March 25th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have only a few inches between my shortest and longest layer and I hate it too! It's okay for buns, but I wish I could braid the tails of my French braids down further without stuff poking out!

talecon
March 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
thats actually the kind of hairstyle I wanted, a nice V cut hemline, unfortunately when I started growing out my hair in a V cut i noticed my hair is much to thin to sport it. Ur hair looks good to me but I know many love blunt cuts

Heavenly Locks
March 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
You can always try 'maintaining'. :) Every other month take off a half inch and you won't really be losing length but the layers will be going away.

I think hating the layers for the next couple of years (until you can cut them all off) will drive you nuts.

Monsterkitti
March 26th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Yup know the feeling, Im growing my layers out at the moment, I think your hair looks grerat in the photo you posted by the way :) I agree with Heavenly Locks about maintaining, thats what Im planning on doing to get rid of my layers gradually while not loosing heaps of length all at once.

missmandy
March 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Are you opposed to just maintaining for a while until your layers grow longer? You won't get length, but you'll get your hemline back.

nycstar
March 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your support!
HintOfMint: Thanks for the braid idea (I've never been much of a braid chic, 'cept at night for bed). I will try some braids this weekend to see how I feel.

LaurelSprings: I sympathize with your "rat tail" and that's the part I dislike most about the layers. It's amazing, to me, layers tend to look great on everyone else except for me. When my hair was all one-length, I envied the bouncy/modern looking layers on others....but then realized that for my hair type (which is thick and straight) it sorta just hangs there (sigh).

LillyLongHair: How long is your hair now?

ErictheGreat: Thank YOU so much! You are encouraging... being that my hair is thick, I see your point... but it's also straight so I think the blunt cuts are more flattering.

RecklessCharlie: Thanks and you hang in there as well!

Katurday: Mullet?? I shall never complain again, haha. Did you at least enjoy your short hairstyle for a little bit before freaking out? :)

Talecon: How long is your hair now? Are you layer-free?

Heavenly Locks: Let's see how long I can stand these hellish layers... will keep ya'll posted :)

dropinthebucket
March 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Yep, trying to style with layers is the worst - my hair's still kinda short at just past collarbone, but you'd think i could do some kinda updo? Nope! too many layers. The shorter layers just slither out. I was doing layers because I have superfine hair (re-measured - only 1.75 at nape, which included all the layers, too!) and I was always told fine hair needed layers to look more voluminous. Found an old high school picture (eeeeeek!) and saw my hair was blunt - AND looked thicker! So I'm going for blunt again. Using Nightshade's advice on growing out damage, just this time, for growing out layers! :)

nycstar
March 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yep, trying to style with layers is the worst - my hair's still kinda short at just past collarbone, but you'd think i could do some kinda updo? Nope! too many layers. The shorter layers just slither out. I was doing layers because I have superfine hair (re-measured - only 1.75 at nape, which included all the layers, too!) and I was always told fine hair needed layers to look more voluminous. Found an old high school picture (eeeeeek!) and saw my hair was blunt - AND looked thicker! So I'm going for blunt again. Using Nightshade's advice on growing out damage, just this time, for growing out layers! :)

This is the question I keep asking myself OVER & OVER again: why did you cut it from a long blunt cut (as I did :( ).. truly interested in knowing your response.

dropinthebucket
March 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ah, well - I've just turned 45 and as we all know, many stylists think short and layered is the only proper style for a "mature woman"! :( I'm not listenin' anymore ...... just doin' my own thing now! :)

nycstar
March 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Ah, well - I've just turned 45 and as we all know, many stylists think short and layered is the only proper style for a "mature woman"! :( I'm not listenin' anymore ...... just doin' my own thing now! :)

Yay!!!! :cheese:

Francoise1606
March 29th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I think your hair looks really beautiful, but obviously if it is bothering you then it's a problem. I think your v-shaped hemline is awesome:)