PDA

View Full Version : instant henna?

talecon
March 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I was just mixing up a batch of henna to use this weekend or maybe next week sometime. I accidentally got some on my finger and I went to wash it off and it left a stain. so quick. so I looked on the box and it clearly says instant. I didn't know there's instant henna. I've been letting mines sit for 6+ hours to make sure it stains good. I am going to use Naajo superior quality henna. Online it says its completely natural so I dunno
heres a pic of what it looks like
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx2/tittytarf/Picture005-1.jpg

halo_tightens
March 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I've had instant dye release too, talecon. I've never used that brand of henna, but I've seen several different types immediately turn dark with dye and stain skin right away.

I never could decide if it was worthwhile to let it sit, or for how long, so I'm glad I started just freezing the stuff, lol! It's much easier with no guesswork. :)

talecon
March 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
yea I was wondering, if I do decide to just plop it on my head immediately, do you think it would dye just as good? im going to freeze this batch but I still have one more box left. maybe the next one I'll plop it on my head immediately and see how it goes

MandaMom2Three
March 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I've never had to let henna sit, I've always had pretty much instant colour :shrug:

TiaKitty
March 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I've always used Rainbow, and it seems to be pretty instant. The last time I used it, it was after I had started reading here and henna for hair, and I decided to let it sit and see what happens... it turned out a very different color than I was used to, but still very fetching!

ratgirldjh
March 25th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I always get pretty quick dye release when I use very hot water. The one time I used cold water it took a few hours...

Shermie Girl
March 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I never left my henna to sit very long. Mixed it with hot water and an hour or two later, I was slopping it in my hair. Long dye release is just not necessary with BAQ henna. :bluebiggr

morecowbell
March 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I've had instant dye release from Henna Hut henna, but then, I used very hot water... but kudos to you for finding a time saving henna to use! Have you used it before? And did it give good color?

Gothic Lolita
March 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM
i always wondered why people let their henna st for hours and hours. i never had any problem with dye release, mine was always instant, no matter if i use war, hot, or even cold water. i understand that for some brands waiting is necessary, though. i use the henna of a local seller, and it is pure, i asked several times.

i am sorry for the non-capital letters at the beginning - i am using a different keyboard and for some reason it will not let me write capital letter.

mellie
March 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, me too, I never let my Rainbow Dark Brown henna sit, I just used it straight away and got great color.

earthymamawitch
March 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I've had instant dye release from Henna Hut henna, but then, I used very hot water... but kudos to you for finding a time saving henna to use! Have you used it before? And did it give good color?

I noticed that the Henna Hut henna releases instantly too. And GREAT color!

Most of the BAQ hennas take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to release, in my experience, depending on how warm your liquid is. I think the really long dye release times they tell you to do on Mehandi are because they also recommend lemon juice in the henna, which causes a really long dye release time. I use chamomile and hibiscus teas, and it's much faster.

Jenn

AmericanWoman
March 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Most henna will release instantly. However, if you apply right away, the stain will be weak and not last as long. The reason to add lemon juice/acid is to slow dye release down, it icreases the potency of the stain. According to :Catherine from henna for hair.

talecon
March 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM

I just took a bunch of pictures today. I'm satisfied with how it came out. I used it last week. Its definitely red but I'd still like my hair darker

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx2/tittytarf/Picture065-1.jpg

this was the color I had before using jamila henna (inside flash)

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx2/tittytarf/Picture047-1.jpg

I got my next batch of that naajo brand in the freezer so I can defrost it and apply it to my hair either this weekend or early next week

GrowAlready
March 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I have never had to wait very long for dye release. I usually use bulk baq henna from my health food store.

MonikaHa
March 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM
When we used henna about 10 years ago, we used to mix it with hot water and apply almost immediately. The stain was very good, but if not touched up or re-applied it faded into a golden blonde. My natural hair color is a dirty ash blonde.
Before reading LHC I did no know that it should be mixed with some kind of an acid.
I have some pics in my album from that time, feel free to check them out.

talecon
April 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm going to henna tomorrow with the instant naajo henna. I'm going to mix it and apply it instantly but does anyone know how long do I need to keep the henna in? should I do the usual 4-6 hours?

Choctaw
October 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I'm going to henna tomorrow with the instant naajo henna. I'm going to mix it and apply it instantly but does anyone know how long do I need to keep the henna in? should I do the usual 4-6 hours?

I just found a box of this henna today at an Indian market. Did it produce a nice color after freezing? How long did you leave it in your hair?

kwaniesiam
October 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I use very warm chamomile tea and occasionally a splash of lemon juice. I only let my henna sit for 20-30 minutes and I always get a good stain.

Wanderer09
October 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Just make sure it's pure henna. I once saw a box labelled "instant henna", but under the ingredients it had other stuff listed as well.

Choctaw
November 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
update -- I used the Naajo Instant henna last week and it dye released immediately. I mixed it with 1 egg (beaten), hibiscus fenugreek tea, mustard oil and raw honey. I left it on 4 hours and it washed out completely with water. I used conditioner to moisturize my hair. My gray hairs are already dark copper from previous henna applications. I did not notice any big change in color but the conditioning was wonderful.