PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of Fish Oil

curlylocks85
March 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM
If this is in the wrong place, mods please move to the right place, thanks.

On Wednesday, I went to my chiropractic appointment and there was a flyer on Fish oil and its possible dangers.

Here is the link with the story:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ConsumerNews/truth-fish-oil-concerns/story?id=9994425

I take Fish oil and I know other do as well, so I wanted to keep us all informed.

Magicknthenight
March 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Wow thats pretty scary. I've been taking fish oil for years. Haven't noticed any bad side effects but perhaps it takes a long time. Makes me wanna switch back to flax seed oil.
Until they say thats not safe! :/
PS- why do they have these "PCBs, industrial chemicals" anyway?

Purdy Bear
March 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
This is why I always check with my Dr first before starting anything.

For instance some foods and herbals can effect normal medications (for instance those on blood thinners should not eat Garlic and so on).

myotislucifugus
March 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
For the record, While there may be low level amounts of PCBs in fish oil, if you are going to cut it out of your diet (which is none of my business) you will also have to cut out pretty much any type of seafood. The amount of PCBs you are getting in the vitamin product is comparable.

In fact you may want to look at the origins of your food, as many PCB utilizing companies were found in New England, and PCBs have a way of staying in sediment, and then working into plants and higher up into terrestrial food chains.

Be careful about these flyers, they tend to be based on a smidgen of truth, rather than the whole picture. I'm not saying that PCBs are good for you, they are pollutants, but try not to get too freaked out by these little factoids that get blown out of proportion.

myotislucifugus
March 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Wow thats pretty scary. I've been taking fish oil for years. Haven't noticed any bad side effects but perhaps it takes a long time. Makes me wanna switch back to flax seed oil.
Until they say thats not safe! :/
PS- why do they have these "PCBs, industrial chemicals" anyway?

It wasn't known that these chemicals were bad at the time. Accidents happen. At the time of technology advancements, these were cheap useful substances. They aren't inherently evil, just like lead, mercury, oil, or plastic. If you wear any polyester clothes, take any gelcap medications, or have ever been to a hospital, advancements in those technologies were made possible by chemical use oopsies out of ignorance, not malicious intent.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
It's always best to take omega-3 from the #1 source, the fish itself :)

I never really trust any of those capsule versions of beneficial stuff. Like artichoke capsule, echinacea pills,etc.

mellie
March 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I never really trust any of those capsule versions of beneficial stuff. Like artichoke capsule, echinacea pills,etc.

I agree, Dreams In Pink!

pelicano
March 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I thought the PCBs were from the fish itself, ie from its unhealthy environment, not anything to do with the fact that it's in capsules. :confused:

Carolyn
March 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM
My family doc and my cardiologist have both said I should be taking Omega 3 fish oil. I've taken it for years. I also eat A LOT of fish. Fish is my first choice at most meals. There are so many alarmist articles around. I believe in checking with my physician and then taking what he is OK with.