PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair Beyond The Age of 30

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I'm new to this community and look forward to meeting all the members and exchanging some great thoughts and perspectives. My topic is not a new one (I'm sure other women have posted/blogged about it before) but it is a pet peeve of mine. Ever notice how women (that do not have significantly long hair) tell other women with long hair to chop it off... If you get a stuffy job, cut it! If you find yourself in a life crisis, cut it! If you've had a bad breakup, cut it! If you turn 30, cut it! Why is it that anytime there is an altering moment in a woman's life someone is quick to make that dreaded suggestion (at least in my mind) that a woman must visit her stylist and chop off her long, lovely tresses?!

I look at celebrities like Demi Moore, Jane Seymour, and Crystal Gayle and am elated that they did not give into this no long hair beyond 30 culture. Crystal Gayle is much older now (and still beautiful) and keeps her hair three inches above the floor! I admire her firm stance at keeping her hair length, albeit the ridicule she may get from some people.

I encourage women (30+) to keep their long locks... as long as its maintained (clean and healthy) other people's opinions shouldn't matter.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/brown/archives/crystal.JPG

mod ETA: pleas note the On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags and Copyright Issues (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939), thanks.

dropinthebucket
March 25th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I used to *love* watching crystal gayle's hair when she sang - it suited her style of music, too, kinda nostalgic and ethereal and bluesy, all at the same time! My grandmother had long braids to her feet when she was over 65, used to wear them piled on her head during the day and take them down at night. Her hair was amazing. (and henna-ed, i might add!)

GoddesJourney
March 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I think hair is easy to change when people are looking to change something. At least it grows back, and it's better than getting a tattoo or a divorce or something else permanent. We are very attached to our hair here at LHC, so it's hard for us to understand how someone could treat their hair as if it didn't matter. I assume it's quite liberating to cut off all your hair. I consider cutting off all my hair cutting back to APL. To me, it's all gone at that length because that's the shortest I've ever had it.

Anyway, I agree with you that long and beautiful hair should know no age limit. I've seen beautiful hair on toddlers and great-grandmothers and in all colors and textures. I find it strange that people think long hair is "really high maintenance" because once you pass around BSL you can get it to stay up really easily as long as it's not layered. However, short and layered seems to be "best for upkeep". I've had it. I was pretty. It was not low maintenance at all. I'm a wash and go girl so having it longer and one length is actually a lot easier for me.

It would be nice if people could make it through a life crisis/change without losing their hair. I would hate to go through something aweful and lose my hair too! Maybe even up the ends with a trim to feel pretty, but that's it. Thanks a lot, lame female friends all over the world, who push us to cut our hair at a time when we're emotionally weak, and might listen. With friends like you, who needs enemies?

going gray
March 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Our hair is the one thing we woman have complete control over & I think that's why "we" go for those big extremes. That was the case with me, I needed to do something "drastic" & cut my hair was my only option at that time.

Factor in age too, I've always been told by so called experts & well meaning friends, women of a certain age (I'm well past it) simply aren't attractive with long locks.

Learned it was a huge mistake to cut my hair, & in time of great stress, focus on something else, but leave my hair alone! And age certainly doesn't matter, like you said, just as long as her hair is healthy & well maintained.

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I've read all your comments and am excited about the interaction in this community--thanks for the responses! I'm glad to see that there are women out there that agree with me. I'm tired of Hollywood dictating what's good for women and how women should look. There was a talk show on a couple of years back (might have been Oprah) and it was a makeover topic. This woman, about the age of 40, goes on stage with long, healthy, wavy hair. Post makeover, her hair was shorter (with a gazillion layers) and the woman was crying. I know she wasn't happy even though the host (as I recall) was encouraging her that the new cut was flattering. I say stick with what you like... if you like long hair (no matter the age: 30, 40, 60, 70...) be happy.

haha (forgot to include 50) Yes, 50 is included, too!

Irishred
March 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Well, I am 29 plus (sorry family joke). I have hair past my bum. I have only gotten negative comments from my mother (always short, she thinks long is brushing her shoulders). Rarely get comments from anyone else, and never a bad one. I guess some could be taken negatively but I try hard to turn the comment around so it isn't.

I do not plan to cut may hair anytime soon. Been there, done that. I could care less what others think of my hair length. The only one I care about what he thinks is my DH and he always tells me what ever I am happy with... but prefers my hair long :)

Themyst
March 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Oh, I've already decided that I'm going to keep my super-long hair all through my senior years just to spite everybody. Bwahahaha! I'm also going to be one of those old ladies that winds up beating the crap out of would-be-muggers. I find pleasure in going against the grain. :p

gnegirl
March 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM
It was a terrible short cut after age 40 that i thought aged me more than i cared for that convinced me to grow it back out again!

Purdy Bear
March 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I cant see what hair length has to do with age, I think its more to do with colour. I was at a local town and their was this stunning women in front of me, beautiful mermaid locks and gorgeious figure, she looked about 18 from the back. When she turned around she was 80 if she was a day. Many a young buck was rushing past her and their faces falling. LOL!

Im in the age group now I should start to think of what not to do with my hair (if I had any), but Im gonna grow it long anyhow.

TiaKitty
March 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
The other thing I've been told, which completely rubs me the wrong way, is now that I have children, I should have short hair!

My cousin asked me after the birth of my first babe, when was I going to cut it? I told her I wasn't planning on it, and she told me I'd be sorry, that the baby would pull it or spit up on it. Second baby, she said the same thing, and I asked why she felt I *had* to cut my hair. She told me I would spend more time on my hair than I should and my children were lacking attention because of it! I let her have it. I told her my long hair could be put up neatly, out of the reach of the babies, that I brushed it twice a day and washed it every few days. I bet her that I spent less time on my hair daily/weekly that she did with her short, colored, high-lighted do. Just ridiculous!

My great uncle just told me about his Mom's hair. He said it was to the floor and she would brush it and put it up in braids. He said her hair was red until the day she passed, never a single gray! How exciting... maybe I won't get any grays? I haven't seen one yet, but if they come, I'll embrace them, too!

windinherhair
March 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Even into my 20's I have gotten comments about my long hair, as though it is time to cut it because I am an adult now. Since when is there a law against having to keep your hair short as an adult. ;) I also admire those who have kept their hair long because that is what they want!

Welcome to LHC. :)

angelthadiva
March 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Oh, I've already decided that I'm going to keep my super-long hair all through my senior years just to spite everybody. Bwahahaha! I'm also going to be one of those old ladies that winds up beating the crap out of would-be-muggers. I find pleasure in going against the grain. :p

I'm not sure if I could have said things better than this. I'm 37; back in college full-time; my classmates are near the age of my oldest child; who BTW is also a college student. Most people think I'm about 10 years younger and are shocked to find out that I have a college aged child. I laugh and take the compliment.

It's funny to me that younger women with long hair are encouraged to chop so they look older and more mature. But women of a certain age are encouraged to chop to look younger or "their age". Which is it? I've never really been one to bow to fashion trends about what the "in" thing is. One year is it super short; then the next year it is long. Thin is in one year; then the next year we are to embrace our inner-curvy chic. Whatever! I'm ME and I'm not ashamed of my packaging.

Currently, I'm past my vertical smile, tickling the tops of my thighs. I'm growing out highlighted bleach damage and I quit coloring (my hair) in January 2010. Sooooo, I have about "soccer mom bob" length outgrowth right now. I am considering a chop to about waist length or so to even up my ends as I had face framing layers cut in several years ago that are finally at about waist length. However; I wear my hair up on a daily basis, so nobody really knows this but me. It bugs me though. I have a lot of taper that I wish I did not have and I'm so over quantity over quality. I'd rather just have a head full of healthy hair.

I am wonderfully amazed that my outgrowth is so pretty! My natural shade is so flattering and smooth. It feels like soft, fluffy cat hair. My colored ends and such are ratty feeling and very frizzy. I wish I had just let nature run its course and left it alone...My plan is to rock my silvers all the way down to the floor! :eyebrows:

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 11:50 AM
more power to you! a granny that has long hair & kicks butt-nice!

windinherhair.. thanks for the welcome!

tiakitty, wow--i've heard that one, too. Imagine, after 9 months of super-fast hormonal hair growth, people want you to chop it all off! Glad you didn't give in!

angelthadiva: i admire your attitude, whether or not you want to cut your hair, it's your prerogative.

My plan is to rock my silvers all the way down to the floor! :eyebrows:

The above comment was great--love-love-love it!

intended for themyst:

more power to you! a granny that has long, lovely hair & kicks butt-nice!

Themyst
March 25th, 2010, 12:24 PM
intended for themyst:

more power to you! a granny that has long, lovely hair & kicks butt-nice!

Heh heh - that's my futuristic plan, though. I'm only 42 now!

blackhound
March 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm all for long hair at whatever age. I've seen 50 in my rearview mirror and I wear my hair long in all its natural salt and pepper glory!

dropinthebucket
March 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Tiakitty - my grandmother's too! At 96 (and still going strong!) she finally admitted to me it's henna! ;) I'd already figured it out, but, ya know ....

HintOfMint
March 25th, 2010, 01:08 PM
to the OP:

From what I've heard in reference to the haste to chop off hair after each big event (good or bad), the justification is often independence. Long hair is still considered sexy or beautiful, and as a result, pleasing to OTHERS and not necessarily to the self. If you had a breakup or a significant crisis, cutting it off can feel like a great big "eff you! I do what I want!" to the world. The post-crisis/trauma cut often is not at the urging of others, but of the person's own volition.
Generally, women encouraging other women to cut their hair happens when the issue is getting a new job, a new baby, being age appropriate, or the belief that it may be more flattering (or less flattering if one has backstabbing friends). Generally, if women do encourage a post-crisis chop, it is usually because the one in the crisis broached it first.

Just my two cents.

princessp
March 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I agree long hair is gorgeous at any age! I happen to be an over 30 with long hair. :D

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM
HintOfMint--thanks for your two cents! I appreciate the flipside of the argument. You are absolutely right. Women can use their hair (or lack there of) to make bold statements. In the 1990s, Sinead O'Connor boldly bared her shaved head and sang her pretty little heart out! She didn't care what people thought or said. Some people argued that she was lovely enough to pull the stunt off (she wouldn't have gone for bald if she would've been "beaten with an ugly stick"). Hair, like weight, is a form of control for many women. I just don't agree that people should dictate how women should look because they're no longer at what's considered to be the optimal age.

bjt
March 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi! Another one in her 40s here with long hair! :-)
I do keep it just shy of being able to sit on it (because that's when it starts irritating me) but I love my long hair. Honestly, I've rarely had anything bad said about it. I can't remember anyone ever saying I should cut it, and usually get only compliments. Only my step dad gives me some grief over it, but he has some OCD issues with it so I don't take it personally.

I went through a fit when I first found LHC where I was putting it up all the time using hair toys, but I've really decided I LOVE it down much more--I like having long hair and having it hang down my back! so I rarely put it up anymore and when I need to keep it tidy its usually in a long braid.

I'm in NYC, too, and I"m always kinda amazed how few people I see here with long hair... you'd think there would be more!

MissManda
March 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM
It will be quite some time before I reach this age group, but even now I hear comments about how girls should cut their hair to look more mature. In all honesty, I'm going to look younger than I am no matter what hair length I have, so I am going to go for what makes me happy.

I also find it funny that people think long hair is difficult to take care of. Not in my experience! i remember when I kept my hair short and started perming it and it used up way more money than my long hair does. I remember when hairstylists would give me the hairy eyeball (bad pun, I know) when I refused to use products in my short hair to make it look like I had some kind of scary wig on.

I've been waned by some people that my hair will get "stringy" when I get older. I just can't believe that because I don't use any products that damage my hair anymore and I take good care of it. There are also lots of 40+ women on here with gorgeous hair (including my hair type) that doesn't look stringy in the least. In fact, the longer my hair gets, the less piece-y and stringy it gets. I might experiece shedding, I might not, but I don't think my hair is going to be stringy when I turn 50.

jera
March 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm also a fan of long hair at any age and hope to keep my long hair always as long as I stay healthy and have some say about it. When I'm an old granny I'll probably bun it, but it will still be long. :p Wicked.

Botticelli Gold
March 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I only really ever get compliments on my hair. Guess I'm lucky.
However I did shave my head for about 4 years when I was 19. What can I say? I'm an extremist lol! I prefer not to have the in-between stage though.:eyebrows:

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
MissManda, I totally agree... and someone else also mentioned that in this thread (sorry your handle escapes me now) that longer hair is MUCH easier to maintain. Shorter cuts and layers need constant product manipulation. Longer hair has a style of its own & is definitely less of a hassle.

Athena's Owl
March 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM
i really prefer my hair long, so i'm going to keep it long.

i'm 40, I've gone natural, and my hair bounces from about waist to about hip because it's curly. I have a few grays in there, but only a few. I don't know if i'm going to henna or just leave them be. I figure i'll decide later.

as to this idea that long hair past a certain age ages you - what age *is* that? i have to show ID to sit in a lounge, and legal drinking age is 18 here. they're generally dumbfounded.

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Botticelli Gold... amazing! how long did it take for you to grow your hair from the shave to your present length? patience is a virtue...

Athena's Owl... loved your comment-thanks!

Feline
March 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Here's a thought- I have noticed that all of the female relatives who think I should cut my hair are those who just love having the "works" done at a salon. My Mother always thought it was "pampering" to have someone else work on her hair; in particular, she liked having men work on her. My sister also loves the salon, and has everything done, cut, wash, color, perm, sometimes in one appointment, and she thinks she is being a "slob" if she doesn't get in at least once a month. Maybe they just can't figure out why someone would turn down this "wonderful experience"? :rolleyes:

Yayasmurf
March 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I have just turned 48 this month and I enjoy my hair being long. I can't imagine where this cutting after 30 came from. It sure wasn't the mountains where I come from. When I was growing up you rarely ever saw a grandmother who's hair wasn't long and in a braided bun. My husband says it's one of his fondest memories of staying at his grandmothers house. She would sit in her rocker and take down her braid at night to brush. He said her hair was to her knees when he was little. I took care of her for 5 years when she was in her mid 80's and had alzheimers. Her hair had thinned quit a bit but was still very long... to her waist almost. I was always being asked why didn't I cut her hair so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I said NO I'm not cutting her hair. She always liked it long and I would keep it that way. She went to her grave with her BUN intact! I felt it was an honor to care for her hair and I told them so. I still don't think they understood. :(

Botticelli Gold
March 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Botticelli Gold... amazing! how long did it take for you to grow your hair from the shave to your present length? patience is a virtue...

It's hard to tell really. I guess I shaved it until I was around 23 or 24 and then I just let it grow. However it's been about this long for a few years now (slightly longer than my siggy pic) and I can't really rememebr how old I was when it got to tailbone. I think it took between four and seven years to grow, though I did do some spot trims myself when I needed to. :D

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Here's a thought- I have noticed that all of the female relatives who think I should cut my hair are those who just love having the "works" done at a salon. My Mother always thought it was "pampering" to have someone else work on her hair; in particular, she liked having men work on her. My sister also loves the salon, and has everything done, cut, wash, color, perm, sometimes in one appointment, and she thinks she is being a "slob" if she doesn't get in at least once a month. Maybe they just can't figure out why someone would turn down this "wonderful experience"? :rolleyes:

Feline.. this is an interesting point and one I never pondered! That may be one major reason why the women in my life, friends mainly, constantly suggest that I cut my hair. My idea of pampering is a good pedicure :)

MissManda
March 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Personally, I never liked going to the salon. I don't like all of the smells that give me headaches and I particularly dislike it when the hairdresser tries to put some sort of product in my hair. Wearing products in my hair makes me feel like it's hurting my hair (which it is) and the textures you get out of them are awful. My hair is so untouchably rough and stiff and I simply can't stand it!

I do see your point, though. I have relatives who also see going to the salon as being pampered.

I've had short hair and I don't like it. I'm going to keep my hair long until the day I die. :D So there.

My MIL has wonderful long hair and she's just over 50. That was the first thing I remember liking about her when I first met her. I hope she never cuts it.

GeoJ
March 25th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I certaintly did not cut my hair at 30, and I had a baby at 30 too. I plan to keep my hair long for as many years as I can!

My Mom is also growing her hair long, along with a few of her friends.

whiteisle
March 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
In the past I have cut my hair short when I went off to college and, due to unexplainable hormonal shifts :rolleyes:, during my first two pregnancies...but I resisted the urge during my third!!:D

I'm just over 30 and am finally on the road to regaining my long hair and have no intention of returning to the short hair realm. And as far as long hair and kids not meshing, that's bunk! "Ponytail Power" is what I say! LOL I've had short hair with babies and it's a pain to try to manage and maintain. Long = easy.

Also, for some reason I have always envisioned myself with long grey/silver hair braided or bunned when I get older. So if that's going to happen I've got to get to growin' now!

Interestingly, my DH much prefers my hair short because he says he always associates long hair with being younger. He thinks short hair is more mature. That right there is reason enough for me to grow long. Hey, it's cheaper than face lifts and the sort! :p

HintOfMint
March 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
To nycstar: You're completely right about women badgering other women to cut their hair to fit what they think is "appropriate." Some women are particularly mean about it, and it is obnoxious.
Sometimes it is hard to draw that line between dictation and a suggestion. Obviously on horrible makeover shows it is a dictation but within one's circle of friends, it is harder to make that distinction.
I think that it is safe to say that we agree on the basic sense that a person, in the end, should do what they want with their hair and have other people respect that decision.

To share a flipside anecdote: A year ago, I was toying with the idea of shaving my head or at least getting a pixie cut. A very blunt friend was horrified and was very upfront with telling me that I would look awful. She made a joke that guys only pay attention to her because she has hot friends, so if one of her hot friends is suddenly bald or has supershort hair, guys won't talk to her. She was joking, but there was that little kernel of uncomfortable truth, because she is a very insecure (but still beautiful) girl.
While she was right that it would have been a bad decision because I was unhappy at the time and was looking for some drastic action, which aren't the best conditions for a wise decision, it still sucked to hear her response like that. When she tried to talk me out of it, I could hear a LOT of her insecurities (particularly with men) being imposed on me.

rho1640
March 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Well I'm 56 (for another 2 months) and white haired and long - I am quite a bit longer than my avatar now even though I cut of about 2 inches a few weeks ago - maybe stretched out it is still below the bottom of my bra back -- I'm constantly hearing I should cut it - from family mostly - but I'm not going to I love it it is my hair and my head and dang it I can do something that I like once and awhile. Not to mention it is blasted expensive to get it cut around here - I have more fun things to do with my money ;)

katana
March 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I cut my hair after major life changes - usually to shoulder, or just beyond. Part of it was that was what I did, a part of feeling a change. A larger part, I think, was the simple fact that I did not know how to put my hair up and keep it up comfortably - I would get a ponytail elastic to stay for maybe half a day, and then have to redo a it - and since I had a life change every few years - by the time my hair got to the annoying-snagging-into-everything-stage (at about waist) I'd have a life change and go and get my hair cut.

Now, I've discovered single hair-toy updos. :cheese::cheese::cheese:

chotee
March 25th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I am 40+ and i am trying to remember that somehow i had made up my mind to be an old long-haired lady when i was really young and the reason is because i used to watch my graceful grandma and her white silky tresses. I did experiment with many different cuts, i permed my hair when i was in high school which really spoilt the texture but my hair grew back. Now, i think in old age(whatever that age is ), really long hair really suits a lot of people....many mature ladies look cool and chic with longer hair...and one thing i have noticed is i take care of my diet more when i see a hair fall or something which is also important factor to keep under check as the age grows....so i guess we should just not listen to anyone who comments on cutting long hair :smile:

momtofour
March 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I am 61 and have long hair, mainly because, as I've gotten older, I have become much less uptight about things and have learned what is really important. I no longer do or wear things to impress other people, or do what others think I should do. I am also somewhat lazy now that I am retired and long hair is so much easier and way less expensive. As far as cutting during a life event: it is interesting that many civilizations used to cut or shave their hair when in mourning, as a sign to others to respect their grief. I am the opposite. My hair has been my security blanket and my comfort.

Coriander
March 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm 35 and have no plans to chop my hair off ever again. I plan on being the grandma with really long hair that the grandkids like to play with. :)

(Guess I need some kids first. :lol: )

oceanwoman111
March 25th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I cut my hair after major life changes - usually to shoulder, or just beyond. Part of it was that was what I did, a part of feeling a change. A larger part, I think, was the simple fact that I did not know how to put my hair up and keep it up comfortably - I would get a ponytail elastic to stay for maybe half a day, and then have to redo a it - and since I had a life change every few years - by the time my hair got to the annoying-snagging-into-everything-stage (at about waist) I'd have a life change and go and get my hair cut.

I did the same thing. Cut my hair after major life changes. Mine always coincide with breakups. 3 times that I had almost waist length hair, I chopped it back up to my shoulders or shorter. No more! I'm not taking my frustrations out on my hair anymore. I don't even know what it's like to be single with long hair.

I love long hair. Always have, always will. I have never had a cut that I didn't regret somewhere inside. Short hair isn't for me. I'm 30 and I have no intentions of ever cutting my hair again.

If I am having a trouble in a relationship, I will cut Mr. Wrong off, not my hair. :scissors:

Xandergrammy
March 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hello from another older woman who is keeping my long hair until I'm no longer able to take care of it. I'm 54 and started growing it when I hit 40.

girloctopus
March 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm not 30 yet, but I plan on keeping my hair long forever. Short hair is WAY too much work for me, especially with my wave/curl and thickness. I have to put in far too much work to avoid triangle hair. With long hair I can wet set it to curls or fairly straight if I wish to wear it down, or put it up in a matter of minutes. It works best with my lifestyle, and I believe that will be the case for the remainder of my life :)

Athena's Owl
March 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Feline.. this is an interesting point and one I never pondered! That may be one major reason why the women in my life, friends mainly, constantly suggest that I cut my hair. My idea of pampering is a good pedicure :)

yes, a very interesting point! I like a manicure, or an eyebrow wax or an hour long massage for pampering.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 26th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm new to this community and look forward to meeting all the members and exchanging some great thoughts and perspectives. My topic is not a new one (I'm sure other women have posted/blogged about it before) but it is a pet peeve of mine. Ever notice how women (that do not have significantly long hair) tell other women with long hair to chop it off... If you get a stuffy job, cut it! If you find yourself in a life crisis, cut it! If you've had a bad breakup, cut it! If you turn 30, cut it! Why is it that anytime there is an altering moment in a woman's life someone is quick to make that dreaded suggestion (at least in my mind) that a woman must visit her stylist and chop off her long, lovely tresses?!

I look at celebrities like Demi Moore, Jane Seymour, and Crystal Gayle and am elated that they did not give into this no long hair beyond 30 culture. Crystal Gayle is much older now (and still beautiful) and keeps her hair three inches above the floor! I admire her firm stance at keeping her hair length, albeit the ridicule she may get from some people.

I encourage women (30+) to keep their long locks... as long as its maintained (clean and healthy) other people's opinions shouldn't matter.

mod ETA: pleas note the On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags and Copyright Issues (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939), thanks.

Wow is your hair GORJUS!

Thanks for "weighing in" on this?

For what it is worth, many ladies (and men?) are too worried about "what the neighbors will think" and such?

Hooray for long haired ladies, bith young and old:)

caliweri
March 26th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I think long hair on women of any age is simply beautiful. I had semi-long hair growing up and in my twenties. For my 30th birthday my friends at work treated me to a visit to a local hair salon, and I got a very short haircut because I thought it would be easier to care for and more mature looking... silly me!

Although the short style suited me quite nicely I didn´t feel good in it at all. I tried to maintain it for a couple of years but now at 36 I´m growing my hair again. At just above BSL I´m finally starting to feel good about my hair! Now I´m starting to see a few silvery strands here and there, and my only goal is to let it grow and keep it natural!

nycstar
March 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Chotee: so wonderful to hear! btw (is that your hair in the photobucket link?) It's absolutely stunning!

Hi Robbie: Thank you :) And yes, my feelings about long hair extend to men as well. Great pic btw!

To nycstar: You're completely right about women badgering other women to cut their hair to fit what they think is "appropriate." Some women are particularly mean about it, and it is obnoxious.
Sometimes it is hard to draw that line between dictation and a suggestion. Obviously on horrible makeover shows it is a dictation but within one's circle of friends, it is harder to make that distinction.
I think that it is safe to say that we agree on the basic sense that a person, in the end, should do what they want with their hair and have other people respect that decision.

To share a flipside anecdote: A year ago, I was toying with the idea of shaving my head or at least getting a pixie cut. A very blunt friend was horrified and was very upfront with telling me that I would look awful. She made a joke that guys only pay attention to her because she has hot friends, so if one of her hot friends is suddenly bald or has supershort hair, guys won't talk to her. She was joking, but there was that little kernel of uncomfortable truth, because she is a very insecure (but still beautiful) girl.
While she was right that it would have been a bad decision because I was unhappy at the time and was looking for some drastic action, which aren't the best conditions for a wise decision, it still sucked to hear her response like that. When she tried to talk me out of it, I could hear a LOT of her insecurities (particularly with men) being imposed on me.

Great anecdote! & right on!!

WaitingSoLong
March 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I hardly see anyone one with long hair that is below age 30. In fact, I cannot recall anyone past BSL under age 30 that I know of.

Like one poster, I look much younger than I am and have chopped my hair in the past to "look older" so I quit getting the "you have a child HOW old?" comments. My oldest is a couple weeks away from being 18 and yes, I had him young which doesn't help, but I am forever his sister to strangers. Once people find out I am his mom, they ALWAYS ask me how old I am. After 17 years of this, I just tell them. I do not feel the need to explain as I once did.

Long hair to me is a matter of looks, I think I look horrid with short hair. However, I think short hair is VERY flattering and sexy on some people. I also think long hair intimidates some people who are insecure about their hair (this was formerly me, yet another reason I chose to grow my hair out).

I do not want to be one of the old ladies with the short, permed, go to the beautician once a week to get it set hair like my grandma. It is great for my grandmother, but not for me!

I am getting used to the dumb comments and now I embrace the fact I still look 20 at 34 and quit trying to look my age. I do not care of peope think I am my son's sister. The issue was really the lack of respect I got just because people thought I was younger. When I had my hair shorter, I look 30 at 24. Of course I had a bit more weight then, too, which did not help. I hate those pictures!

I do find that some people are totally preoccupied with my hair. I know when I see a long hair (I saw a lady with calf length braid the other day) that IS all I tended to notice about her. I like my long hair but I am NOT my hair. For that reason I am not sure I will ever grow it much past classic, if I can get there. Though I am apt to change my mind. Who knows!

RavennaNight
March 26th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I'm 31 and have yet to feel pressed by anyone to cut my hair. Nobody says a word. Not at my job, not acquaintances, nobody. Ever. And I wear it down often enough that people know I have just-past-hip hair. Maybe when I hit a longer length people will start in on me? I don't know. Not a peep in my direction.

mellie
March 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I plan on keeping my hair long forever! I intend to have long pewter, or silver, locks, hopefully in about another ten years, based on my mom's experience.

Re: the salon thing; I detest going to the salon. I hate the smells, the fried fake-looking hair, and I generally dislike having strangers touch me. And they just tear their brushes through your wet hair! Ow!! You can hear the hairs breaking!

I could count the times I've been to a salon on one hand, and almost all times have been a truly awful experience. I don't see how some folks consider it pampering, but I guess if it makes them happy, then more power to them. But I won't do it! :D

Maxs Mom
March 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I am 45 and did not start growing my hair until age 41. My husband (who I have been with for 29 years) says I have never looked better and would be devastated if I cut it off.

Botticelli Gold
March 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Like one poster, I look much younger than I am and have chopped my hair in the past to "look older" so I quit getting the "you have a child HOW old?" comments.
Ha ha! this is EXACTLY what I get too!

PhillyGirl1978@
March 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM

AMEN Sister!!!

I am 31 and I am still growing my hair...I am planning to get to to grow till, just a bit above hips. Not super long by TLHC standards...but longer than I ever expected and certainly longer than average. I spent so much of my life obsessing over hair and wanting long hair, now that I finally know how to treat it and it grows fast...I am not cutting it. My little cousin just recently cut her long hair to way above shoulder and donated it...to LOL. So of course I was waiting for the inevitable question..."Well...why don't you....blah blah blah!" I donate my money, I donate my time, I've even donated my paintings...but my hair is off limits!lol

That whole "must cut by 30" was something I believed for years, I used to plan for how long I could actually have long hair before I HAD to cut. It is just ridiculous. I actually loved Crystal Gale when I was a kid...anyone with long hair...I was just obsessed. Now that I can see my goal...I ain't cuttin Baby!!lol I think it makes you look younger...and the curls really seem to help too...I hated that when I was a kid...when I left my hair curly I looked so young...now I love it!lol

mrs carol
March 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'm way passed 30 and I really like having my long hair. Its starting to get a few grays in it but I don't plan to color it just let them come in. I plan to keep my hair long all the rest of my days.

Bill D.
March 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I love seeing women in their 50s and older with long gray hair, whether it's to midback or much longer. It means she has the courage to march to the beat of her own drummer instead of caving to the demands of the conformists.

Besides, it's beautiful. Someday Elizabeth will have long gray hair, too. :)

nycstar
March 27th, 2010, 02:19 AM
So many of you have mentioned that having longer hair actually made you look younger--I totally believe that also!!! I've seen young women that have opted for "the chop" and gained 10 years in their overall look... peculiar but true. This is not to say that women with short hair don't look young and sexy. I just don't think I look young and sexy with short hair.

-j-
March 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I just turned 30 and I´m gonna grow my hair as long as it grows!

When I cut my hair (one year ago), people would say that the shot hair makes me look more lively but ever since they haven´t asked for my ID in restaurants or liquer shops. Hmm...
Maybe the hair made me look older after all??

Ravenwaves 88
March 27th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm almost 27 and there's no stopping me now. I'll be at solid waist by my 27th B-Day. I'll be at solid Tailbone or beyond by my 30th. I can't wait!

dropinthebucket
March 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Just reading through this thread again and noticing how many of us were really influenced by grandmothers (especially our own grandmothers!) with their long hair. My grandmother was the *only* woman I knew with long hair when I was little - it was the 60s, my mom and all her friends were getting short, modern hairstyles, like Uhura and the other women in Star Trek, to differentiate themselves from the "long-haired hippies"! I was pretty sure Capt. Kirk had it all wrong in that episode when the long-haired hippies invaded his ship, and the hippies had it all right! I told my grandmother, "grandma, I didn't know you were a hippie" and she LOVED that! 'course, it was 1968 - sigh - i remember it fondly. :)

Themyst
March 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
You know, my grandmother had long hair, too. It was all gray and hip length, and she wore it pinned up in two flat braid-buns on either side of her head. Even as kids, we thought it was so neat!

Xandergrammy
March 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Just reading through this thread again and noticing how many of us were really influenced by grandmothers (especially our own grandmothers!) with their long hair. My grandmother was the *only* woman I knew with long hair when I was little - it was the 60s, my mom and all her friends were getting short, modern hairstyles, like Uhura and the other women in Star Trek, to differentiate themselves from the "long-haired hippies"! I was pretty sure Capt. Kirk had it all wrong in that episode when the long-haired hippies invaded his ship, and the hippies had it all right! I told my grandmother, "grandma, I didn't know you were a hippie" and she LOVED that! 'course, it was 1968 - sigh - i remember it fondly. :)

I WISH my grandmothers had long hair. Both of my grandmothers kept their hair short. The grandmother who lived to be 83 had pure white hair that was really really thick. She wore it bobbed with a hair net to contain it all. If only she would have let it grow... it would have been spectacular!

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
So many of you have mentioned that having longer hair actually made you look younger--I totally believe that also!!! I've seen young women that have opted for "the chop" and gained 10 years in their overall look... peculiar but true. This is not to say that women with short hair don't look young and sexy. I just don't think I look young and sexy with short hair.

This woman of age 25 and short hair agrees. :( Maybe when it finishes growing to a reasonable lenght at age 30, i'll look 25 again, haha. :p

Amara
March 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Responding to an idea early in this thread and elsewhere on the boards... I think sometimes it can be very healthy to cut off hair as a symbol of change! Sometimes it can be quit unhealthy, too, but I don't think it should be dismissed as a bad thing outright...

rapunzelna
March 27th, 2010, 09:56 PM
well, at age 48 my hair is as long as it's every been and I love every inch of it. I didn't start growing it until my late 30's..and my only regret is I didn't start sooner. I hope to have an inch of hair for every year I am old! LOL. Have a ways to go but I need a goal.

Cher

nycstar
March 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
well, at age 48 my hair is as long as it's every been and I love every inch of it. I didn't start growing it until my late 30's..and my only regret is I didn't start sooner. I hope to have an inch of hair for every year I am old! LOL. Have a ways to go but I need a goal.

Cher

Cher, I so love that you posted this!! I just turned 38 and my hair is really long (albeit the evil layers that I'm growing out). Other people either love it or don't but my family knows it's part of who I am. :eyebrows:

Demetrue
March 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My grandmother had beautiful classic length hair into her 90's. My aunt has classic length blonde and silver hair and she is in her mid-60's.
30 is super young - I don't understand how anyone could think that 30 is somehow over-the-hill, and therefore women are not allowed to show any sign of sexuality or health or their own decision-making. I think you can rock long hair till you're in your 50's and beyond - then people may say something, but just keep growing it and by the time you are in your 60's/70's they will just think you are eccentric and leave you alone.

I would think that a grown woman can make up her own mind about how she would like to wear the hair that is growing out of her head.

going gray
March 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM
My grandmother had beautiful classic length hair into her 90's. My aunt has classic length blonde and silver hair and she is in her mid-60's.
30 is super young - I don't understand how anyone could think that 30 is somehow over-the-hill, and therefore women are not allowed to show any sign of sexuality or health or their own decision-making. I think you can rock long hair till you're in your 50's and beyond - then people may say something, but just keep growing it and by the time you are in your 60's/70's they will just think you are eccentric and leave you alone.

I would think that a grown woman can make up her own mind about how she would like to wear the hair that is growing out of her head.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said, took me a long time to figure it out.

Speckla
March 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm 35 yrs old and my hair is now the longest that it's ever been. It is going to get longer as I get older.

Well, it's going to get shorter looker as it gets longer.....shrinkage 3a/b....ugh. So that should appease a few people. :rolleyes:

:cheese:I will keep my hair any length that I deem appropriate.:cheese:

geosangel
March 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm 36 and I plan on growing my hair as long as I can, of course I'm just starting out from a month or so ago of finding and joining this forum (I'm so thankful:p) and starting with a length above my shoulders. I remember watching Crystal Gayle on Solid Gold and I loved her hair. I never knew it was henna! I always thought it was so beautiful. Someday I'll get there...

nycstar
March 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm 36 and I plan on growing my hair as long as I can, of course I'm just starting out from a month or so ago of finding and joining this forum (I'm so thankful:p) and starting with a length above my shoulders. I remember watching Crystal Gayle on Solid Gold and I loved her hair. I never knew it was henna! I always thought it was so beautiful. Someday I'll get there...

I didn't know it was henna either. :) Your hair will be long before you realize it.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I didn't know it was henna either. :) Your hair will be long before you realize it.

Your hair looks like Crystal Gayle's, it must be REALLY long:D

Arctic_Mama
March 29th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Though I am not yet on an age where this applies (except I'm a mom, and so I do feel some pressure to have a mom-cut and succumbed to one right after my first child) I absolutely plan on having hip or longer hair forever now! I am much more comfortable with it long and it suits me so much more, I can't imagine going back to APL or shorter.

Firefly
March 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with the others who said long hair makes you look younger; I'm another who often gets mistaken for many years younger than I am. I do think a lot of it has to do with my hair being long. I haven't had the "you should cut now" comments yet, and am curious about when/if I will...

After my first was born, I did have someone suggest I'd have to cut to keep it out of baby's hands, but I never found that to be true. Just the opposite actually! So much easier to twist it up and out of the way. :D

I plan to have long hair for the rest of my days. My dream is to be the classic "wise woman" figure with long silver hair.

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
I had to :eek: at the title of this thread. Seems the "status quo" is being honed earlier and earlier as years go by. First it was "Oh long hair is unfashionable after 50"...then "You should cut when you reach 40". Now it's bad to have it past 30? What the crap is wrong with our world?? :(

Siava
April 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
My mother's harping has actually slowed down now that my hair is getting longer. I think she has finally come to terms with the fact I'm serious about growing. Of course, she still throws in a snarky comment every now and then because she just can't help herself.

I dug having super short hair for a couple of years because the sproingy curls were amazing and so darned cute, but the look didn't suit my face. It aged me. Mom doesn't agree, but like other posters, I get carded when I wear my hair down. I don't when it's up.

Speaking of grannies, one of mine is 84 and keeps her hair no shorter than a little bit past the shoulders. She stated, "My long hair is a part of my femininity and youthful mystique." :lol: I love that woman. I understand what she means though and feel the same way. Having long hair does make me feel more feminine and having long hair does make me feel more youthful. If having long hair keeps this feeling alive until the day I die, you can bet your bottom I'm going to keep it.

Lisette
April 22nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I have always wanted long hair. Tried several times never succeeded. Now I am 41 have very short hair but going for it again. Hope that with all the advice and hair care tips I find here I will have my dream of long hair finally.

Lisette

Robbi Dehlinger
April 23rd, 2010, 05:54 AM
I had to :eek: at the title of this thread. Seems the "status quo" is being honed earlier and earlier as years go by. First it was "Oh long hair is unfashionable after 50"...then "You should cut when you reach 40". Now it's bad to have it past 30? What the crap is wrong with our world?? :(

There are not enuf Jamies in it, of course?? <hug>:cool:

jackiesjottings
April 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I'll be 50 later this year and am at hip length and I have no plans to cut at all! Ever (well, OK, aim is to stop and classic and trim back to there). But then I am afraid I despise fashion and have done for some years now. I first started to rebel against it when I was 17 and kicked off the platform shoes for the last time. I don't like the fashion industry telling me what the latest look is, or the "in colour". I like to do my own thing! I plan to grow old disgracefully with long silver hair :)

minkstole
April 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
To be honest, I have only ever heard about cutting after a certain age at this board!

Surely some people are subject to influence by others - I&#180;m easily lured! - but I most people I see around me have the hair they want. Of the women I work with, many are over 45 and several have midback+ hair.
Some women get weaker hair with age due to hormones and what not, and they chose a shorter style because they like it better that way. IMO it has more to do with the way the hair looks, rather than age.
I think magazines (esp. those geared towards men) promote long hair (brastrap to waist, not kneelength though). Media-wise I hardly ever see any woman with short hair. Could be me though, but at the top of my head I cannot recall anyone famous apart from Jaime Lee Curtis, who sports a short do.

eresh
April 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I'm 34, and not cutting but still growing ;)

I'll cut it when I want a change myself, not because people think I should...
Or when I can't take care of it myself anymore (like when I get put away in a retirement home in the future and nurses have to take care of my hair :rolleyes:)

FrannyG
April 23rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
It's only 15 months until I turn 50. I'm hoping that I'll have hair that is at least firmly at waist length by then. That will be the longest that I've had it in my life.

Even my current length is fairly long for most "real world" women of my age, and I honestly don't care. I always wanted to have long hair, and now I'm finally doing it.

It's 2010. There ought not to be any "rules" about how women should wear their hair anymore. I think it should all be about what we like for ourselves. :)

KBG
April 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'll be 40 in November and this is the first time I've consciously decided to grow out my hair. Before I was quite immature and easily influenced by peers, fashion, hairdressers, myths about my hairtype, boyfriends, emotions, etc.

I can see that, for me, this is an evolution of sorts.

I don't think that any particular age owns certain hair lengths or styles...I hope that we're moving beyond that.

nycstar
April 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'll be 40 in November and this is the first time I've consciously decided to grow out my hair. Before I was quite immature and easily influenced by peers, fashion, hairdressers, myths about my hairtype, boyfriends, emotions, etc.

I can see that, for me, this is an evolution of sorts.

I don't think that any particular age owns certain hair lengths or styles...I hope that we're moving beyond that.

Hi! I absolutely adore your post :)
You're so right--we define ourselves.

nycstar
April 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
I'll be 50 later this year and am at hip length and I have no plans to cut at all! Ever (well, OK, aim is to stop and classic and trim back to there). But then I am afraid I despise fashion and have done for some years now. I first started to rebel against it when I was 17 and kicked off the platform shoes for the last time. I don't like the fashion industry telling me what the latest look is, or the "in colour". I like to do my own thing! I plan to grow old disgracefully with long silver hair :)

Love it-right on!!!!

EtherealOde
April 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
I just turned 51 recently, and am part of the crowd who thinks getting it 'taken care of' at a salon is just too much time and effort to be bothered with. Not to mention the cost, and I always hated how crunchy and stiff/sticky my hair felt after being 'done'. My husband would feel it and withdraw his hand, and say 'umm, looks nice hon' just to be polite. Almost every time I would end up washing my hair to get that stiff and sticky product out, and also all the itchy bits of hair that were cut and left sticking to my skin and stuck in my hair.

I am glad I gave all that up. Now I just go once in a very great while to make sure my ends are even, since I do my regular trimming on my own. Same with color, I henna my roots and it has saved me a ton of money over paying a colorist. And my hair feels better now that it isn't being subjected to harsh chemical coloring routines.

Buns are pretty, and I have lots of pretty things to wear in my hair now that it is long. All excellent reasons to keep it long!

luluj
April 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yesterday marked one full year with no trims at at all for me. I had a "down to the wood chop" in December 2008 to eliminate the last remnants of dyed (25 plus years of color abuse) hair. So there I was with a silver pixie crop. I hardly recognized myself. I loved my silver streaks but "hated" the crop so after one shape-up I vowed to not cut for one full year. I haven't been in a hair salon for the whole duration.......I feel liberated! I plan to grow my hair very long! Oh, I also ordered two flexi 8's, my first.......color me happy.......just me.......NOT my hair!:cheer::joy: By the way, I'm not 21 either!LOL!!

embee
April 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I don't like people messing with my hair - so a visit to the salon was unpleasant. Plus I *hate* the smells of the salon, I hate the smell on my hair, I hate the feel of my hair after, etc. etc. just like EtherealOde said...

Long hair is the answer for me. And I'm in my late 60s. Heh. Nobody messes with me either, nobody tells me I should cut. :)

Anisaa
April 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I STILL THINK 30 is YOUNG!!:D

Siava
April 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I'm 34, and not cutting but still growing ;)

I'll cut it when I want a change myself, not because people think I should...
Or when I can't take care of it myself anymore (like when I get put away in a retirement home in the future and nurses have to take care of my hair :rolleyes:)

Au contraire! Mr. Wonderful paid off his dear ol' Aunt's hairstyling bill at the nursing home when she passed away because the next of kin (his deadbeat father) couldn't handle the bill. Oh yes. The woman was getting WEEKLY hair pampering by a "professional" stylist. As long as you have a credit card when you get wheeled into that retirement home, I think your hair is good to go. ;)

Siava
April 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
I STILL THINK 30 is YOUNG!!:D

I AGREE 100%!

faeflame
April 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm 43 and I tell my kiddos that I want to be the crazy little granny with the knee length braid. They think I'm joking, but we all know better :eyebrows:. The only thing that might make me cut is if the thinning in my bang area gets really obvious.
Then again, I might just get some really wild day-glow pink fake bangs, pin them in and freak the whole family out

Jules diamond
April 23rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
My dad is convinced that older women with long hair makes them 'old hags'. My mom on the other hand is growing her beautiful curly hair out. Pulled straight it's almost to her waist, but only APL when natural. I think she's starting to change his mind.

BlueMuse
April 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm only 24, but one of my mom's friends once loudly made the comment that it was the "right" thing to do to cut your hair once you reach 35. I just shrugged and figured she'd probably never be happy with my fashion choices. Of course, I sometimes dress like an emo raver, so I'm not exactly normal anyway (and I'm sure she wasn't into that look either).

Most of my girl friends have long hair or at least like it, so I don't get any grief over it. And I'm pretty sure my mom would smack someone's face around if they made a snitty comment in front of her about my hair (she's very protective of her offspring). My mom is approaching 60 and for the first time she's letting her hair grow and the perm come out (though she's always had shoulder length hair). It's looking nice in my opinion, but I'll support her all the way if she wants a perm again. She loves the curl.

Elenna
April 24th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I'm growing out a mix of silver and brown hair, and there is no encouragement from anyone. But as the silvers are showing more and more, I like the silvers more and more.

I was reading an article about a natural reversal of grays/silvers, and realized that I wouldn't want to reverse back to plain brown even with a natural product. My silver color looks like shiny metal.

Most of the ladies I see in town have short, styled, dyed hair. They dye it to cover the gray.

I love Crystal Gayle's hair but if she didn't dye it black it could be white or gray or a mix of colors; it'd be so stunning natural.

The ladies here at LHC with long silvered hair are my role models.

luluj
April 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
The ladies here at LHC with long silvered hair are my role models.

They are my role models also, Elenna!:hifive: In fact, YOU, are one of MY role models!;)

katana
April 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm only 24, but one of my mom's friends once loudly made the comment that it was the "right" thing to do to cut your hair once you reach 35. I just shrugged and figured she'd probably never be happy with my fashion choices. Of course, I sometimes dress like an emo raver, so I'm not exactly normal anyway (and I'm sure she wasn't into that look either).

Most of my girl friends have long hair or at least like it, so I don't get any grief over it. And I'm pretty sure my mom would smack someone's face around if they made a snitty comment in front of her about my hair (she's very protective of her offspring). My mom is approaching 60 and for the first time she's letting her hair grow and the perm come out (though she's always had shoulder length hair). It's looking nice in my opinion, but I'll support her all the way if she wants a perm again. She loves the curl.

I don't do this myself, but people there are 'sock curls' or 'rag curls'? Do you think your mother would be interested in that? The curls seem to be big and soft, so I suppose it would depend on the perm she likes? (the last time I had a perm myself was ... about 20 or 15 years ago. I looked ODD.)

Beets
April 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Referring back to the OP, I don't even think clean and maintained is anybody's business! I don't think we can help but draw ridicule from others; some people are just unhappy, and they spread unhappiness. It really doesn't matter what you look like--someone isn't going to like it, and they might say or think something unkind.

A lot of people here wash with conditioner only, or do water-only wash. If you stopped most people on the street and asked them what they thought of this, they would be repulsed. Most of us are just conditioned to think "clean" means stripped of all the body's natural oils and covered in a synthetic scent.

For myself, here at age 32, any "cut off" age seems arbitrary and stupid, and perpetuated by people who aren't bothering to examine their own beliefs about appearances. I think when we can all start looking inward and cultivating love and beauty in our hearts, how someone looks, including how "maintained" they appear, will cease to matter.

luluj
April 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Referring back to the OP, I don't even think clean and maintained is anybody's business! I don't think we can help but draw ridicule from others; some people are just unhappy, and they spread unhappiness. It really doesn't matter what you look like--someone isn't going to like it, and they might say or think something unkind.

A lot of people here wash with conditioner only, or do water-only wash. If you stopped most people on the street and asked them what they thought of this, they would be repulsed. Most of us are just conditioned to think "clean" means stripped of all the body's natural oils and covered in a synthetic scent.

For myself, here at age 32, any "cut off" age seems arbitrary and stupid, and perpetuated by people who aren't bothering to examine their own beliefs about appearances. I think when we can all start looking inward and cultivating love and beauty in our hearts, how someone looks, including how "maintained" they appear, will cease to matter.

Very wise words indeed! Loved your post!;)

nycstar
April 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Beets:
Good point! You basically tailored my original idea... I don't think anyone should define anyone else, by any means! It's no one's business how long or short our hair is & how it is "cleaned" and "maintained."

I'm 43 and I tell my kiddos that I want to be the crazy little granny with the knee length braid. They think I'm joking, but we all know better :eyebrows:. The only thing that might make me cut is if the thinning in my bang area gets really obvious.
Then again, I might just get some really wild day-glow pink fake bangs, pin them in and freak the whole family out

haha.. you had me laughing!!