PDA

View Full Version : Evil barber?

visiblenoise
March 25th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I'm an asian guy trying to grow shoulder-length hair, and my hair isn't too healthy to say the least, but I've been trying new things and for a while my hair looked and felt halfway decent. I really needed a haircut though because the ends were growing out all uneven, so I got one today.

The barber used some technique where she grabbed some hair and sort of lightly whacked (lightly, but still a whack) a slightly open pair of scissors at strands, probably to thin my hair out. Then after she was done cutting, she took a blowdryer and brush and went to town on my hair ("blowdryer treatment" or something), saying she needed to straighten it out more to make sure the cut was even. She also said it was a special $200 blowdryer so I shouldn't worry about my hair getting damaged more than it already is. Does anyone with long hair get a plain old comb-and-snip haircut, or is this standard fare? I feel like it was bad for my hair.

GuinevereMay
March 25th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I'm an asian guy trying to grow shoulder-length hair, and my hair isn't too healthy to say the least, but I've been trying new things and for a while my hair looked and felt halfway decent. I really needed a haircut though because the ends were growing out all uneven, so I got one today.

The barber used some technique where she grabbed some hair and sort of lightly whacked (lightly, but still a whack) a slightly open pair of scissors at strands, probably to thin my hair out. Then after she was done cutting, she took a blowdryer and brush and went to town on my hair ("blowdryer treatment" or something), saying she needed to straighten it out more to make sure the cut was even. She also said it was a special $200 blowdryer so I shouldn't worry about my hair getting damaged more than it already is. Does anyone with long hair get a plain old comb-and-snip haircut, or is this standard fare? I feel like it was bad for my hair.
I haven't trimmed in years, but when I did, they used to simply wet my hair down with a spray bottle, trim, then I was on my way. My four year old gets trims and that's what they do with her. No special scissor wacking, no blowdrying. Actually they often charge extra for blow drying, since it's considered "styling" your hair.

Specify you just want a "dusting" or that you want them merely to even the length. Usually, they'll ask if you want them to blow dry it out. If they do, just tell them "No, thank you" unless you want them to. Most stylists want to make you happy so you'll come back.

Elenna
March 25th, 2010, 02:50 AM
A simple trim does not equal thinning your hair. And a blowdryer, no matter what the price, still heats up the hair. And yes, it does sound like this was bad for your hair.

Bethie
March 25th, 2010, 05:29 AM
For my son, I stand over them to make sure that he do is trim with scissors, that's it. That is all I get for myself (now anyway) and for my daughter. For them to pick up a blow drier costs more money and I request that they don't.

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evil barber? YES.
Stylists seem to think that since they hold the shears, they run the show. No, no... next time you go to the barber/stylist, be sure to be clear about what you want (and don't want). It's your hair & your money!
Do you still plan on growing your hair?

Juliannaissance
March 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM
That sounds like an evil barber to me..hahaha..I usually trim my own hair. :D

AD1984
March 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi visiblenoise,

I've had the 'thinning out/wacking treatment' too when I used to get a haircut (short haircut) - it made it somewhat more managable. Since you want to grow your hair (all of it) longer it does sound Evil to me to chop off random hair. Avoid that place like the plague!

-AD1984

Magicknthenight
March 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
The blow dryer probably didn't help. However most people don't really care if you blow dry their hair so maybe the stylist didn't know. You just gotta let them know. I told my stylist i didn't want it blow dried and she had no problem with it. Though it does make me nervous about getting a trim now....>.> since it seems for years now they have been razoring the sides..its like they can't stop..
Anyway i would recommend you tell them what you want exactly and watch closely. If they don't listen or start to do something wrong stop it there. Don't let them do anything thats uncomfortable for you.
I haven't went in a good year and a half almost but the blow dryer doesn't seem to be a regular thing (at least for me) unless i ask for it. Its 12 dollars..for an even blunt trim.
Perhaps baby it with some oil or conditioner you like to make yourself feel better :D

ETA: my stylist usually sprayed it a little to get it damp..and that was enough to see if it was even..
Who knows what was in that spray bottle though it always made my hair dry -_-
I know it wasn't just water >_>

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I don't understand why a $200 blow dryer would be less damaging to one's hair than a $20 blow dryer. Hot air is hot air.

I think your barber did more than just a "simple" trim. In my book a simple trim is "taking a little off the bottom, nice and even." I wouldn't ever go back there. If you can't DIY, find someone who understands what it takes to get your hair from point A to point B.

Good luck!

emmabovary
March 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
It was probably one of those ionic blowdryers. They're supposed to be less damaging. I have no idea of how and if it works, even though I have one myself (not a $200 one). Don't worry folks, I don't use it anymore! ;)

Purdy Bear
March 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I dont know about elsewhere, but in my part of the world we have to say exactly what we want as its all priced seperately. So if you want a cut, thats all you get, if you want the full works you have to tell them a wash, cut and blow dry. One hairdresser did my hair and let me walk out the salon in the middle of Winter with soaking wet hair because I hadnt asked for it to be dried. I was not impressed.

Next time just insist on a dry cut, and dont settle for anything else.