PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Flakescalp, or: How Can I Learn to Get Rid of Snow Days and Love My Scalp?

HintOfMint
March 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
First off, I'm not even sure if it is dry scalp or dandruff or both. I used to think they were the same thing, and now I'm not sure.
When I press the pads of my fingers to my scalp, the tiny white flakes stick to them. When I scratch, I have flakes mixed with a dry but oily, ground Parmesan cheese textured substance (sorry if that is kind of gross). It doesn't smell bad, it just smells like... scalp.
This is from the day after I have washed my hair, onwards, until I wash my hair again. I wash and condition every four days with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (sulfate and cone free). I prefer not to wash my hair every day, and my hair doesn't need it really. Strangely enough, even with my scalp the way it is, it doesn't get limp or stringy until the 3rd or 4th day. And my hair likes not being wet every day.
However, even the very day I washed, even before my hair is fully dry, I get serious dry flakes. All I have to do is scratch where my bangs are, and I snow, much like that scene from the breakfast club.
I have peeled flakes from my scalp before and they're not always tiny.
Is it dry scalp, dandruff or both? And how do I solve it? My dad has psoriasis, if that indicates anything. I tried CO, and while it pretty much solved the dry flakes, I had a huge shed. Every time I tried it again, I would shed more than usual. So... I would rather not try that. I just tried WO today, and while the dry flakes have markedly decreased, they're not all gone.
Sorry for the long post, but any help?

ademtce
March 25th, 2010, 12:12 AM
well my thoughts would be its your conditioner or shampoo. i would point out the shampoo if it had SLS but its doesn't so thats a little stumping - maybe its your conditioner and the flakes are really just bits of conditioner that stuck to your scalp from when you used it.

here are few things to help you:

1. RINSE!
rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. that is a huge issue for most everyone. it seems like people do not rinse enough. when you're rinsing, keep doing so for 2-3 minutes longer than you think you need to. You'll get the feel of it, and once you get it - you wont lose it. trust me.

2. Shower Filter.
get one, they're wonderful and relatively low cost (got mine for around $35-40.) It'll filter out all sorts of nasties in your water which leads to healthier skin & scalp.

3. Oil.
pure and natural, if you aren't doing any oiling maybe you should give it a try. Argan is the possibly the single best. its a dry oil so it absorbs fast and doesn't way your hair or look super greasy. A little goes a very very long way too. oil will keep your scalp from freaking out and likely the flakes away.

also make sure you're getting enough water, drink plenty its good for your whole body and especially for your hair since your hair is a reflection of your internal state.

HTH!

Arctic_Mama
March 25th, 2010, 12:17 AM
That sounds a great deal like what I have, which unfortunately can't be fixed by routine alone, and that is seborrhea (a type of dermatitis that is generally grouped under dandruff). Keeping my scalp clean and well moisturized helps, but mine will NOT go away on its' own. Since having children it has flared up here and there, but never goes away completely, and has to be treated with a topical steroid.

Exfoliation and moisture will help, but a dermatologist can tell you for sure it is it just a dry scalp or a chronic condition (my seborrhea, for example, is actually an autoimmune issue).

aililiú
March 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM
WOW this is *exactly* what i have. i need say no more, you said it all for me.

i have no idea what to do for it. i also only like to shower about every 4 days. even then my hair isnt always greasy but the itchies are too much. ive tried baking soda & ACV, ive tried natural anti-dandruff shampoos. head &shoulders does seem to do something, &if i showered everyday it'd probably take care of it for me. but by the 2nd-3rd day, the flakes come back. it is horrrrid.

ive tried oiling &it seemed to make it worse :confused:

maybe something like monistat *would* do the trick, as its anti-fungal... that thicker stuff you described: isnt that kind of fungal?

anyways, sorry i cant help-- but i feel your pain!

Peter
March 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM
This sounds a lot like what I have, except mine isn't as severe. I used to "snow" when I used SLS shampoo every 4 days, but my hair wouldn't be stringy or lank (exactly as you described). I WO wash every 6-7 days now and, again, just as you described... I have significantly less flaking but it's not gone. Right now I do a scalp massage every few days and that tends to loosen a bunch of the flakes so my hair looks slightly better. Most of the time it's not an issue, it's just annoying.

Does your scalp on occasion get really itchy? To the point where you can't stand it? Mine tends to do that every few days and that's when I do the scalp massage, since it solves the itchiness (at least for the next 2-3 days).

physicschick
March 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I had some horrible flakes lately, and my dermatologist said I should use an anti-dandruff shampoo with selenium in it. (I already have regular Head and Shoulders with zinc in it as part of my shampoo rotation, so I guess that's the next level up.)

Feline
March 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I get something similar, only to takes about a week for it to show up if I don't wash my hair. Regular shampooing about every 3-4 days seems to keep it under control, but if for some reason I can't (like my last bout of flu), I may need to break out the T-Gel. Stuff smells awful, but it does work. I don't like to use it too much because it is drying, but it makes a good "get back on track" shampoo.

Kotora
March 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sounds to me like psoriasis. I've had it most of my life, and it is hereditary, so if your dad has it, you might, too.

First, see a good dermatologist. The worst thing you can do is self-medicate with the wrong shampoo.

There are good shampoos out there that can control the flaking, whatever the diagnosis. I use Neutragena T-Gel 2-3 times a week, and it works great for me. It doesn't over-dry, and it doesn't make your hair smell like tar! (A common misconception.) Some studies have even shown that coal tar shampoos boost hair's body, but since I only do scalp washes with it, I can't attest to that.

If you don't want to wash your scalp that often, there are prescription lotions (liquids) that you can apply directly to your scalp. They disappear quickly and don't leave a residue. Most are steroid-based and should only be used in moderation since they can cause thinning of the skin in some people. I've used them reguralry for 30 years (in moderation) with no ill effects.

Sorry for the dissertation, but a correct diagnosis is a crucial first step. Good luck!

HintOfMint
March 27th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Thank you all for the advice. There are a lot of things to consider here, so I may not address it all in one post, even though it is all duly noted.

to aililiú and peter: The funny thing is, it doesn't itch at all, which makes me think that it is probably not a fungal problem. I could be wrong on this but that is just my instinct.

to Peter: perhaps I should correct myself in how I described my hair when I haven't washed it. It's not exactly stringy or lank (I was tired and couldn't exactly find the words) it's more heavy, flat and waxy. If I use a boar bristle brush straight down, my hair will flatten down into a stiff sheet. I can fluff it up and have it look presentable for another day.

to Kotora: I have seen a doctor and she checked my scalp and said I did not have psoriasis. Thank goodness for that. I was seeing her for another skin issue which turned out to be an allergic reaction, so her ruling out psoriasis on my scalp was just part of her diagnosis for that, not my scalp problem.

I have much fewer flakes with my WO trial yesterday, and the flakes have reduced when I press my finger to my scalp. While my hair felt very waxy, my scalp felt comparatively clean, like the day after I shampoo.

Perhaps alternating WO with CWC, and using a bit of Argan oil after I shampoo would work. If it doesn't reduce enough, I may try the dandruff shampoos. (Hopefully I won't have to. I LOVE the smell of my current shampoo)

Wish me luck and thanks again!