PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil and curls

simplysnuggle
March 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM
So yesterday I oiled my hair for the 2rd time but this time I slept with it in braids and tried to last all day so I could really let it soak in. It ended up being in for about 19 hours. I washed it out and let it air dry all day alternating it being in a bun and just down to dry. I finger combed when necessary. Anyways its now completely dry and I can't imagine how curly it is! like corkscrew curls! It hasn't been this curly since I was maybe 9. I usually have some tight s waves with maybe a few corkscrews at the end or on shorter layers but never this much. Is this normal? As anyone else had these results?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5171&pictureid=67580

Agasaurus
March 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM
lol, no!
But I'm trying it tonight :D

tokidokichi
March 25th, 2010, 12:26 AM
that little curl in the pic is so cute ^_^

IcarusBride
March 25th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I have stick-strait hair and I've noticed that if I use coconut oil and wear it in a cinamon bun (one of the only I can do at this length) all day, at the end of the day my hair is curly! It's very exciting to me, since even with a curling iron and half a bottle of hair spray I could never get any curls !

Simplicity
March 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm not curly, but coconut oil really brings out the waves in my hair. It's good stuff!

myotislucifugus
March 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I noticed too. I now understand the tribulations of curly haired people...I look like I'm at about waist now, when I oil, than the between-hip-and-tailbone that I really am.

Not going to stop, though. I'm softer, silkier, and so much shinier. I love it!

GermanCurl
March 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
My curls usually are more defined and pop up more after a DT with oil (I use Africas Ultimate Herbal Oil). I think it has a lot to do with the added moisture.

Bucatini
March 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I think it's what you did while it was drying, having it in a bun then not, then back in the bun, then not. I do this intentionally sometimes.

When it's just damp I'll do a cinnabun, then let it down for a little while and re-do it differently a few times during the day (move the bun north/south, twist more/less, pin it tight/loose) so that I don't get a big crease/line across the back of my head. Then where it's been tight and twisted you get some corkscrews amongst your big bunwaves. Neat trick.

Shicurls
March 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
My hair is still shaggily floating around my head and my curls are more tight after coconut oil and olive oil treatments. In fact without them, the curls go limp and my hair is unhappy! I love the ringlet in your siggy btw!