PDA

View Full Version : Henna Thread, take two

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

prosperina
March 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
There needs to be a henna thread, so I thought I'd make one. Perhaps the other one might at one point be able to be moved over here, or it could be made into a sticky. There is so much info in it, but it was getting unwieldy, so maybe a new one is in order anyway? (I'm not sure I really believe that, but I'm making lemonade.)

Post your experiences with henna! Bring your questions. Talk about what you put in your mix. Post pics. Let's get the henna thread back to the way it was! I missed it.

For more information on henna (and, in fact, required reading for all potential henna heads) read Nightshade's fabulous henna article. Find it in the article section.

Henna Sellers--BAQ

Henna sooq: hennasooq.com

Henna for hair: hennaforhair.com

Henna Boy UK henna-boy.co.uk

Castle Art Henna castleart.com

Henna Cat (UK) hennacat.com

Others--premixed henna, opinions vary
LUSH

Rainbow henna

Let me know which others to add, or if there is more info that should be in the first post.

jamisonlcloud
March 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Can we first post all the approved henna websites? that may be a good place to start.

AnneAdeline
March 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'm doing me second ever henna-ing tomorrow! Can't wait to see how it looks a second time. My roots are about an inch long, and I swear they got like that overnight. It's great seeing that my hair is growing, though.

Henna For Hair (http://www.hennaforhair.com/) is the website where I got all my info and even bought my henna. I could spend hours looking at all the different henna'd hair pictures.

prosperina
March 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Hmmm. I don't think that gloss did ANYTHING to my roots. So strange. No loss I guess. I needed to wash my hair anyway.

kimberlily
March 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I need to do my roots soon.

Henna Boy UK
March 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM
We supply BAQ henna mainly to the UK and Europe!

Going to be coming here a lot more to contribute providing as much advice and info as possible. Im also one of the admins at hennapage and hennaforhair

zift
March 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I buy my henna from a local store and indigo from hennasooq. And it is very nice stuff!

GlassEyes
March 8th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I just hennaed a few days ago, my first time since LHC was down.

It's noticeably red now. XD However, I'm debating what to do about my roots. I can either a) lighten and henna over them or b) indigo my hair. I like the red, and I'm not ready to give up henna yet darnit. D<

And my thumb nails are orange. How that happened, I have no idea. Well, I do, but getting through gloves is odd. D:

zift
March 8th, 2008, 06:22 AM
And my thumb nails are orange. How that happened, I have no idea. Well, I do, but getting through gloves is odd. D:

Really weird that henna dyes over gloves. Maybe they get dye n the rinsing process?
What type of gloves do you wear? I use the surgical tight ones and never have any color on my hand.

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Henna *can* seep through plastic some. I use nitrile gloves because of it, just in case. Can't ruin the manicure :p

GlassEyes
March 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Really weird that henna dyes over gloves. Maybe they get dye n the rinsing process?
What type of gloves do you wear? I use the surgical tight ones and never have any color on my hand.

I used latex the first two times and the thumbs were orange (only the thumbs) so I got some cleaning gloves from the supermarket in the hopes that they'd be denser.

And I rinse the majority of the henna out with the gloves on, and then use my hands. If it was the rinsing process, wouldn't it stain my hands and the REST of my nails? XD

khyricat
March 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM
the stain is odd.. sounds more like you may have put holes in the thumbs of the gloves while applying the henna.. I did this to one pinky once.. didn't notice until too late... thankfully my nails grow fast and I used colored polish until it grew out instead of my normal natural nails...

jel
March 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Oh, yes, I have been ordering BAQ henna from HennaBoy for a couple of years now.

Is this a good time to propose a split of the henna thread into 3 - just henna, henna & indigo, and henna & cassia? I think that would make info easier to find, and give - I know nothing about indigo, for example.

We already have (had, or will have again ;)) the henna removal thread... And the cassia-only thread. Indigo cannot be used on its own (please correct me if I'm wrong), so there's no need for a dedicated thread...

Requiax
March 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I've never henna'd, but I want to. I've ordered a sample from Henna for Hair to test it. My hair is naturally red, so I don't want to drastically change it, just make it more red and less brassy. Anyone else tried it? would a gloss work for that?

Koala Kim
March 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I need to do my roots soon.
<KK looks at her own roots...>
Ummm...yeah...might need to do roots this weekend...:lol:

Like Elfling, I switched to nitrate gloves and haven't had an orange thumb since. :)

prosperina
March 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Jel, I think that's a really good idea--the separation of the threads by topic. Henna only, hennindigo, cassia, but I wonder if cassia plus henna should be talked about in a separate thread or in the cassia thread, or here, because sometimes the question feels more like a cassia issue and the other times more like a henna issue.

Anyhow, I shall leave it others to start the appropriate threads, but I'm just saying I agree about the separation. :flower:

zift
March 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I've never henna'd, but I want to. I've ordered a sample from Henna for Hair to test it. My hair is naturally red, so I don't want to drastically change it, just make it more red and less brassy. Anyone else tried it? would a gloss work for that?

I remember a natural redhead member who uses glosses successfully so flame up her red. Who was she who was she??
I think it will work Requinax why not:)

laurahborealis
March 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Another henna brand is Rainbow, available at Whole Foods and most health food stores I've ever been to.

DolphinPrincess
March 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I was wondering if anybody here could tell me how to use yogurt to do henna. I had been thinking about trying my henna that way, but then LHC went bye bye. I was so excited when I checked back today!!

Nightshade
March 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'll get the henna article rehosted on here asap, but until then you can see it here (http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=72888505065642&mkt=en-US&lang=en-US&w=5883d583&FORM=CVRE). Thanks snowbear!

nappywomyn
March 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Personally, I love fromnaturewithlove's henna - it's great stuff!!

I also like the idea of splitting the thread into three 'sections'....

akurah
March 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Another henna brand is Rainbow, available at Whole Foods and most health food stores I've ever been to.

Light Mountain Henna is also sold at Whole Foods.

morningstar
March 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone. I have been hennaing now for a year in April. Some months I hennaed twice so at least 13 full heads. I tried to do just the roots last month and thought it was harder than full head. Is it ok to just keep doing full head henna treatments? I mean, I probably couldn't get much redder on the ends and it is a nice burgandy now. It may be beneficial for the condition of my hair. I just like doing the full henna. What do you think?

Koala Kim
March 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone. I have been hennaing now for a year in April. Some months I hennaed twice so at least 13 full heads. I tried to do just the roots last month and thought it was harder than full head. Is it ok to just keep doing full head henna treatments? I mean, I probably couldn't get much redder on the ends and it is a nice burgandy now. It may be beneficial for the condition of my hair. I just like doing the full henna. What do you think?
The color on the older growth will continue to become more of a burgandy color. At least that's what happened to me.

Then again, I didn't know at the time *not* to do a full head app every time, so I did full head apps for at least a year.
If I had to do it all again, I would do full apps only a few times a year.
But that's just because I like the redder color. :) It's a personal preference.
Plus- I hennaed over previous chemically colored hair. So I'm sure the hair was more porous to begin with and grabbed more of the henna.

You can't really notice the color difference too much on me unless I pile my hair on top of my head, so it really doesn't bother me.

What I do for the conditioning- I will do a full head glossing with the leftover henna for about an hour. Conditions without really adding anymore color.

HTH! :flower:

morningstar
March 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks KK I am also hennaing on old chemical dye. I do not think it can suck up more color. It think my hair is as red as it is going to get.
:love: marge

nappywomyn
March 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I've been doing full head applications since I started henna'ing - mind I have exceptional dark (and color resistant) hair, so - I can't tell if it's getting 'darker' at the ends or not.....but I love how it makes my hair feel....

AnneAdeline
March 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I henna'd my hair for the second time yesterday, even though I am sick and had a high fever. That being said, I was kind of out of it when I washed the henna off and didn't put gloves on. So one of my hands is now noticeably more orange than the other.

I no longer have one-inch roots, though. Yay!

Anyone have tips for just henna'ing the roots? I'd like to try that next time.

Koala Kim
March 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I henna'd my hair for the second time yesterday, even though I am sick and had a high fever. That being said, I was kind of out of it when I washed the henna off and didn't put gloves on. So one of my hands is now noticeably more orange than the other.

I no longer have one-inch roots, though. Yay!

Anyone have tips for just henna'ing the roots? I'd like to try that next time.
I use an applicator brush I picked up at Sally's for a couple of dollars. Works like a charm!

DolphinPrincess
March 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'll get the henna article rehosted on here asap, but until then you can see it here (http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=72888505065642&mkt=en-US&lang=en-US&w=5883d583&FORM=CVRE). Thanks snowbear!

Thanks so much Nightshade!
:o ;)
Jel - I love your henna color! If I may ask, whats your natural color and what kind of henna do you use??

jamisonlcloud
March 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Personally, I love fromnaturewithlove's henna - it's great stuff!!

I also like the idea of splitting the thread into three 'sections'....

I personally love your twists! I need to try that! :D

blackfrostqueen
March 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Quick question about Henna and dyed hair...will it become two toned on hair that is dyed from about chin down, yet natural from chin up?
I have a visible line there from some old hair dye, and would like to cover it by hennaing my hair. Will this work or will it be two toned?

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
You're very welcome! :)

akurah
March 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Quick question about Henna and dyed hair...will it become two toned on hair that is dyed from about chin down, yet natural from chin up?
I have a visible line there from some old hair dye, and would like to cover it by hennaing my hair. Will this work or will it be two toned?

It'll most likely blend. It depends on the difference in colors, though--if the chin down is pitch black and the chin up is blonde, you'll likely still have a line.

blackfrostqueen
March 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It'll most likely blend. It depends on the difference in colors, though--if the chin down is pitch black and the chin up is blonde, you'll likely still have a line.

Thank you for your answer. The two colors are ash brown/dirty dishwater and blonde (gold)....I don't think (or am rather hopping) it won't make too much of a line.

Koala Kim
March 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thank you for your answer. The two colors are ash brown/dirty dishwater and blonde (gold)....I don't think (or am rather hopping) it won't make too much of a line.
Do some test strands first. You can harvest hair from your brush or comb for this.
Time them for different times; 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, etc.
This way there are no surprises. ;)

prosperina
March 9th, 2008, 10:46 PM

That was pretty much the color of my hair before I hennaed. And I had a clear line at first. Expect to go stubbornly orange over your bleach--if your hair is any thing like mine was. I actually had to tone with the Lush henna indigo mix to get rid of the orange hair. The light brown dark blond roots were very cherry.

It's so irritating that I can't access my journal on the old LHC because then I'd just send you over there. All of my henna experiments are chronicled in detail!

I would, after you know what kind of red you want, think about using cassia and henna on the roots and henna and (a very small) amount of indigo on the bottom, but don't tone with henna and indigo mix until later, you might not have the same problem I did. To be honest, my line was hugely noticeable, and everyone (on the Henna for hair board) said "oh yeah, henna will even it out! You wont' have a line! :snort:" Um, no. Bleached hair takes henna in such a different way anyway. It grabs up the color, and I could not get my gold blond hair to a red color with henna alone; it just kept getting oranger and oranger. So you may need to be patient for a while. I'm really happy with my hair and have been for several months now.

blackfrostqueen
March 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
That was pretty much the color of my hair before I hennaed. And I had a clear line at first. Expect to go stubbornly orange over your bleach--if your hair is any thing like mine was. I actually had to tone with the Lush henna indigo mix to get rid of the orange hair. The light brown dark blond roots were very cherry.

It's so irritating that I can't access my journal on the old LHC because then I'd just send you over there. All of my henna experiments are chronicled in detail!

I would, after you know what kind of red you want, think about using cassia and henna on the roots and henna and (a very small) amount of indigo on the bottom, but don't tone with henna and indigo mix until later, you might not have the same problem I did. To be honest, my line was hugely noticeable, and everyone (on the Henna for hair board) said "oh yeah, henna will even it out! You wont' have a line! :snort:" Um, no. Bleached hair takes henna in such a different way anyway. It grabs up the color, and I could not get my gold blond hair to a red color with henna alone; it just kept getting oranger and oranger. So you may need to be patient for a while. I'm really happy with my hair and have been for several months now.

Wow, thank you so much for the information. I will really do a lot of strand tests to see if I can play with the coloring. If not, oh well, I'll have to wait until it all grows out. *sighs* Even if it will take a while...long while.

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry I can't read about your experiments.

MadHatter
March 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I dread doing my roots. What I've been doing is using a hair coloring bottle and trying to get at all the roots. But I always miss some.
I bought a tint brush from Sally's, so I'll use it next time. Can anyone offer any tips on how I can get all the roots covered with relative ease?

edited to fix typing error.

Ohio Sky
March 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I did a two step henna and indigo yesterday because my first experience with one step henndigo was bright orangey red and I didnt really like it.
Yesterday, I was short on time (does anyone really have enough time to do this in one day!?) and also short on henna and indigo. I made up my henna the night before, with lemon juice, water, and cloves, and a bit of coconut oil and put it on the next morning for about 4 hours. I made up my indigo just before I rinsed out the henna, with more cloves, and some jojoba to thin it out because I had even less than I thought, and I endedup leaving it in for only about an hour before I had to leave.
The result is a deep red that does NOT turn orange in the sun (exept in spots that didnt get covered enough) and I love it :) I have a terrible line of demarcation about 2-3 inches from the roots where Ive dyed it black for years, so its still black and the roots are deep burgandy. I love the fact that I figured out how to get a dark red without that lovely day glo orange! Now I have to go buy more henna!

waidz
March 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Without LHC, I went ahead and mixed up my own henna mix using 100g Henna,1/2 cup Amla Oil and 1/2 cup ACV. OMG, my hair was so dry. It also turned my damaged previously highlighted (the re-dyed brown and faded) hair into an orangey color. I deliberately left the front side section of my hair un-hennaed, and could definately see a difference in the dryness of my hair.
HOWEVER - after a coulple of days, the orange color changed into a less brighter orange which blended quite nicely in. It looks as if I have hilights. I can also tell that my hair is thicker where the henna took, it is also shinier, but still dry and seems more prone to split ends.
Next time, I will follow instructions - but overall it wasn't a major disaster. Will try again in a couple of days.
A photo(excuse the split ends!)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/2325516192_baf14cb16a.jpg?v=0

prosperina
March 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the information. I will really do a lot of strand tests to see if I can play with the coloring. If not, oh well, I'll have to wait until it all grows out. *sighs* Even if it will take a while...long while.

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry I can't read about your experiments.

blackfrostqueen,

I think it will be possible for you to get a color you'll like, and I didn't mean to scare you (too much;)). It's also possible that yours won't go pumpkin orange--but it's a possibility. With proper strand testing, you can henna and not wait until the dye grows out. I was very impatient and impulsive, and I just did it, and it did turn out nicely in the end--I just had bright orange hair for 2-3 weeks. :D I think I may have even been able to fix it sooner than I did--I just waited to read up about henna before going any further--so it's not as if those three weeks were spent doing hapless experiments. My experience is really a classic example of why you're supposed to read and strand test first--all of which you have been smart enough to do.

The other interesting thing about bleached hair and henna, for me at least, is that I found it easier to lighten or to alter the color with other herbs. It took the color very quickly, but it could also be persuaded to lighten with honey very quickly.

Elfling
March 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Henna always needs 3, maybe 4 days (though I've heard up to a week) to oxidize. The color you get right after henna isn't the color you'll end up with :) It's pretty bright after a treatment, but it'll calm down.

I've found that using too much acid really dries my hair out; my next henna will be done with chamomile tea.

prosperina
March 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Right. We were actually talking about the situation of henna over bleached hair which will (at least in my experience) remain orange. It will oxidize, just to a darker orange. More henna just made my hair oranger. I needed indigo.

But you're right; too much acid is bad. I think a lot of people just skip the acid anymore. I really like the chamomile tea. That's all I use.

Celebrian
March 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I dread doing my roots. What I've been doing is using a hair coloring bottle and trying to get at all the roots. But I always miss some.
I bought I tint brush from Sally's, so I'll use it next time. Can anyone offer any tips on how I can get all the roots covered with relative ease?

Have you got an amenable husband/bf/sister/neighbour/girlfriend?

My husband has taken to doing the 'just roots' part for me - for which I'm very grateful. He does a better job than I can alone.

But lately I'm toying with another approach, as I don't want to be totally dependant on someone else...

I've discovered that my grey roots don't need more than about one hour of henna (I use Lush's Caca Rouge -*nods to prosperina*). That gives me enough light orange-red for a following Indigo gloss either same day or even a few days later. Depends on how long I can bear light orange roots. Usually not very long. :D The above recipe gives me darkish brown roots.

However, in the aforementioned attempt at hairy independence (!) I am looking at doing an overall henna once a month - left on, as I said before, for not much more than one hour. After this, I wonder if I could do an Indigo gloss all over just for 30-60 minutes. I'm just speculating that that might avoid having to just do roots alone - and wondering if that recipe would keep me in the dark brown arena. I do NOT want black.

Just thinking out loud here, in case anyone else is interested...

At any rate, it's a possible regime to follow on the odd occasion when J is not around.

Henna Boy UK
March 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM
As long as you keep to your timing with the indigo it shouldnt go black.

Nightshade
March 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM

My husband has taken to doing the 'just roots' part for me - for which I'm very grateful. He does a better job than I can alone.

Ditto to this. My SO does my roots for me and does a damn fine job of them. I'm sure I'd miss spots if I tried to do it myself, or at the very least, get more overlap in to the previously hennaed hair than I would want.

Nightshade
March 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
WOO! I resubmitted the henna article! Hopefully it'll be up soon, it's just waiting on Mod approval.

quidscribis
March 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I bought I tint brush from Sally's, so I'll use it next time. Can anyone offer any tips on how I can get all the roots covered with relative ease?Practice. :) I've been coloring my own hair for, oh, gee, 25 years, although only with henna for the last, um, six months or so. Over time, your technique will improve.

I tend to cover those areas that are more visible first. Like my part line and the whites at my temples. Then I do the rest.

khyricat
March 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I do my own, but I whole head every time, as I have saturated things, but when I used traditional dyes and did roots, a piping tip in a baggie worked wonderfuly... and a thinner dye helped get it to the scalp... now I do the same with the gelled henna.. to make sure my roots are the most covered, then run it through the length.

Nightshade
March 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Oh, another idea for roots, a friend of mine makes her henna a bit runny, and then gets an empty ketchup-type bottle, like this:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Y4e_Swat9J8v_M:http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/images/squeezea.jpg

She cut the tip off about halfway down, then takes off the lid and loads in the henna. You get a wide enough opening for the henna, but it's still easier to control than scooping mud out of a bowl with your hands.

prosperina
March 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I edited the first post so that it directs people to Nightshade's henna article. Any other important info that people think should be in the first post? I guess we can just see as we go. I'm pretty much challenged as far as making links go, so maybe someone else could do that if it needed to be done. :)

Nightshade
March 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I edited the first post so that it directs people to Nightshade's henna article. Any other important info that people think should be in the first post? I guess we can just see as we go. I'm pretty much challenged as far as making links go, so maybe someone else could do that if it needed to be done. :)

That cached version will go away eventually :( Once the mods approve the henna article hosted on this site I'd be happy to help you make a link for your first post. Hell I'd be happy to make a link with the photo for the article I used to have in my old siggy.

The text in my current siggy isn't working yet, pending the two herbal hair coloring articles getting up, but by no means are they MY siggy links, if any other hennahead wants to toss them in their siggy/blog/what have you, please feel free too. The more people we can direct to there, less repetitive questions we'll get.

Not that questions are bad, but sometimes I think it's just easiest if a person can read through a bunch of information in one place rather than trying to piece things together from a myriad of posts. :)

Celebrian
March 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
As long as you keep to your timing with the indigo it shouldnt go black.

Oh thanks for that Henna Boy UK. Expect my custom anytime soon for some more Indigo. :D

tiny_teesha
March 12th, 2008, 02:07 AM
henna sooq 's henna is amazing, so fresh (much greener then jamila), and the indigo too. Very finely powdered. And washes out easily.

prosperina
March 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM
That cached version will go away eventually :( Once the mods approve the henna article hosted on this site I'd be happy to help you make a link for your first post. Hell I'd be happy to make a link with the photo for the article I used to have in my old siggy.

The text in my current siggy isn't working yet, pending the two herbal hair coloring articles getting up, but by no means are they MY siggy links, if any other hennahead wants to toss them in their siggy/blog/what have you, please feel free too. The more people we can direct to there, less repetitive questions we'll get.

Not that questions are bad, but sometimes I think it's just easiest if a person can read through a bunch of information in one place rather than trying to piece things together from a myriad of posts. :)

Okay we can make a link once it's approved--or rather you can make it and Ior a mod can post it. :p I agree with having all info in one place, but I sorta wanted to make sure people were happy with what was in the first post. I don't worry about it myself, but those that are inclined toward organization seem to care a bit more, and the first post isn't really my post as much as it's an introduction--assuming of course people read the first post first and don't just skip to the end to ask their questions as many do. But as long as everyone is happy I shall return to wasting my vacation (and youth) in the land of paper writing. :D

Henna Boy UK
March 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Oh thanks for that Henna Boy UK. Expect my custom anytime soon for some more Indigo. :D

Wahooo thats what i like to hear :D

We now have a new supplier for our Indian Raj Henna and Indigo. Nice lovely gold outer packaging and sealed inner keeping it double fresh!

Nightshade
March 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wahooo thats what i like to hear :D

We now have a new supplier for our Indian Raj Henna and Indigo. Nice lovely gold outer packaging and sealed inner keeping it double fresh!

Henna Boy UK, just wanted to let you know that your contact info has been added to the henna article :)

Henna Boy UK
March 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Nice thank you very much.

Lexie
March 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Don't forget Castle Art (http://www.castleart.com/)! I've been ordering from them since 2005 and they're awesome. :) Potent powders, speedy delivery, and friendly too.

Urchin
March 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
First question: I have dark brown hair (chemically dyed) with roots a bit lighter brown. I want to henna my hair, but I don't want it to turn purple-tinted. How can I keep it a warm shade and avoid the weird purple-brown? (No offense to anyone who has or likes that color, I just can't pull it off.)

Second question: Should I mix my henna with coffee, tea, or lemon juice? I want to stay warmer and browner, so I was thinking coffee. Am I correct? Also, how long should I let the dye release? 24 hours? Just checking to make sure I do it right.

prosperina
March 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Urchin,

Hopefully someone will post about the color since I'm not sure about that. (Although I think you won't go brownish burgundy right away--that might take several hennas.)

Second: I would advise against coffee and stick with a good black tea and a splash of lemon juice. Coffee smells terrible when mixed up with other stuff, and even if you like normal coffee smell you'll have to put up with yucky henna coffee smell for at least a few hours--I know I tried it, not with henna but with another herbal rinse. Yuck. Don't know if this would work, but you could also make water with another herb like rosemary or sage and use that for your liquid-these are browning herbs.

24 hours is way too long. Catherine on henna for hair says 12, but I think that is even too long. I do mine before going to bed and then henna in the morning, but I could cut it down to even two to three hours for dye release. If you see a darker brown covering on top of the mud, it's ready.

Lexie
March 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Are you sure you'll get purple-brown from it? Have you tested it on a strand/hairball? I think you could try that if you haven't already, just to see what you would get from straight henna. If you want brown, not orange or red at all, then you'd have to use indigo with the henna to mute the orange. But you probably don't want a full henndigo because it could go too dark, so try a henndigo gloss.

I'd mix henna with chamomile tea. 1. It adds golden tones. 2. It's conditioning. 3. If you feel the need for acid, then it covers that too. I think a truly browning effect from coffee is cumulative, but I'm no expert. You could also try the iron pot method to prepare your henna, but I'd suggest testing it first. I've never tried that either, so again, I'm no expert. But I've read that it makes the stain brown(er).

Dye release seems to be individual. I get instant dye release even at low temperatures and mixing with cold filtered water, so the only way to know is to mix your paste and start testing on your palm at least every hour.

Nightshade
March 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Don't forget Castle Art (http://www.castleart.com/)! I've been ordering from them since 2005 and they're awesome. :) Potent powders, speedy delivery, and friendly too.

Will do! (as soon as the article gets up and I can edit it, anyway) :)

Isilme
March 14th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Urchin, do some strand tests. You have to avoid doing full head applications, when you get your desired shade, start doing root applications. Also, you could mix henna and cassia to get it more golden.

khyricat
March 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
a) strand tests! b) unless the base is dark, it will take a lot of repeated applications to be burgundy, but if straight henna is too dark for you, try henna/cassia, though it still can't lighten the underlying color..

c) as to mixing agents, I just use water, and before i used water and lemon.. depends on the type of water you have.. of the things you mentioned- chamomile tea is the only one that sounds good to me.. I wouldn't want to mix the scents of black tea, or coffee with the scent of henna and have it hang around for any length of time.

Nightshade
March 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
a) strand tests! b) unless the base is dark, it will take a lot of repeated applications to be burgundy, but if straight henna is too dark for you, try henna/cassia, though it still can't lighten the underlying color..

While this is completely true, it can *appear* to lighten hair color. My cassia/henna blend makes my hair look lighter than it really is, just because of the way it plays with light.

Islandgrrl
March 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I remember a natural redhead member who uses glosses successfully so flame up her red. Who was she who was she??

I'm sure I'm not the only natural redhead to do this....I remember someone else who does, but can't remember her name. :o

Anyway, I have mediumish auburn hair and I use henna to brighten things up a bit. I henna my roots for grey coverage cuz I'm not so crazy about those little beasties :taz: but then with whatever henna is left over, I usually do a henna gloss to brighten up the length the day after the root job.

Works awesomely well and keeps my ends in check - they have a tendency to get very light.

MeMyselfandI
March 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
What does the iron pot do?

Will a henna gloss cover greys growth or is it just for the length to give it more shine and colour?

MadHatter
March 14th, 2008, 11:57 PM

I've got a cousin that may do it..
I did my roots today and, like I thought I would, missed spots. So before I ask my cousin to take time out to help me, I'm going to try fia's gel method.
Suppose I make more than I end up using. Can gelled henna be frozen without messing it up? Does it dry out as quickly as a basic mix?
Every time I touch up my roots, I'm amazed at how much better all of my hair looks (and it's only about 1/2 an inch each time). Anyone else notice that?

Requiax
March 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Works awesomely well and keeps my ends in check - they have a tendency to get very light.

I have that problem too, the ends get very brassy and the roots look almost brown. I am currently experimenting with the sample I got from Henna for Hair. I did one swatch which came out amazingly fiery - way too red for me. A couple more are brewing so I'll make my decision after seeing how they come out.

Requiax
March 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Well my samples are done and now I have a decision to make. I blogged my results because I didn't want to pollute this thread with a ton of pics, so if anyone has input please feel free to leave a comment: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=1347 .

prosperina
March 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Requiax,
I like the third one the best, although they are all nice. I guess it just depends on how much upkeep you want. With the last one, you could let the color go for a while and it wouldn't hurt. Also, I don't think anyone would mind if you posted the pics directly into the thread, but do what makes you comfortable. :)

GlassEyes
March 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hello Henna thread! : D

I should probably post what my hair looks like now. Apparently it's noticebly red now (I've done four hennas now). It's so noticable my art teacher asked me about it.

Oh, and my sister's friend asked me if I henna my hair, and I felt happy for no good reason. xD

However, this brings me to my next concern; my roots are severely showing; I have at least an inch or three of black roots since I dyed over chemically altered hair. Now I can do a few things; I can either lighten my roots with a brown dye with bleach in it, or I can try dyeing over it with chemical black or dark brown. I'm leaning toward the second one.

I know there's the option of indigo, but since chemical color can be hennaed over, can you color of hennaed hair and then henna still? If I did THAT, I could henna as much as I wanted with ony a red tint. I don't think my mom's willing to let me use her card again (I paid for my henna, but had to use her card) to get indigo, so those are my only options unless you guys have others. I'm not ready to give up henna yet darnit. D<

Isilme
March 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hello Henna thread! : D

I should probably post what my hair looks like now. Apparently it's noticebly red now (I've done four hennas now). It's so noticable my art teacher asked me about it.

Oh, and my sister's friend asked me if I henna my hair, and I felt happy for no good reason. xD

However, this brings me to my next concern; my roots are severely showing; I have at least an inch or three of black roots since I dyed over chemically altered hair. Now I can do a few things; I can either lighten my roots with a brown dye with bleach in it, or I can try dyeing over it with chemical black or dark brown. I'm leaning toward the second one.

I know there's the option of indigo, but since chemical color can be hennaed over, can you color of hennaed hair and then henna still? If I did THAT, I could henna as much as I wanted with ony a red tint. I don't think my mom's willing to let me use her card again (I paid for my henna, but had to use her card) to get indigo, so those are my only options unless you guys have others. I'm not ready to give up henna yet darnit. D<

You could get a washout dye in black and let it sit longer and see if it sticks, then you can just keep hennaing. Then let your natural hair grow out and henna, I'm not a big fan of peroxide, but it's your hair.

prosperina
March 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Yes, you can color over hennaed hair and then henna again. Haven't done it, but if you use BAQ henna, you're supposed to be able to. But I do wonder if it would take permanently over the henna....

Is it that your hair has gotten too red for your liking?

You might consider asking the folks at the henna for hair forum, there's not as many henna gurus hanging about anymore since the board has come back up.

GlassEyes
March 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Yes, you can color over hennaed hair and then henna again. Haven't done it, but if you use BAQ henna, you're supposed to be able to. But I do wonder if it would take permanently over the henna....

Is it that your hair has gotten too red for your liking?

You might consider asking the folks at the henna for hair forum, there's not as many henna gurus hanging about anymore since the board has come back up.

Oh no. Believe me, I like the color, and it isn't terrible for my skintone.

It's just so different from my natural roots and henna doesn't show on them. So basically I've got two toned hair with virgin-hennaed growth. It looks kind of cool, but I'm waiting for it to become a pain.

thanks for your help guys! I'll ask over at hennaforhair.

Elfling
March 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm doing a one-step henna/indigo tomorrow- eek! I'm scared of the messiness/surroundings dye possibilities with indigo :p we'll see how it goes. I love the auburn I get from straight henna but it makes me look sallow, there's too much red in my skin already. I'm hoping I don't have to go to a two-step henna/indigo and that the one-step willl be brunette enough.

Lexie
March 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
So long as you're using BAQ, you can use a chemical dye before/after it with no problem. I'd recommend indigo over that route though, because the PPDs in dark dyes are so high. You can probably use that in your discussion with your mom about which to get. I'm sure she'd rather buy something without health risks for you.

terriej
March 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I don't know if anybody is going to start a henna removal thread. But here's my update (in regards to whether or not henna will wash out over a long period of time) in case anybody is interested.

Last henna was in Sept. I'm not trying to remove the henna (just miss my blond and want to see it for awhile). I thought that maybe the henna had faded a little, but the other day I was wearing a maroon shirt and my hair looked almost as dark as my shirt so now I'm not so sure. I hope to get some pictures soon to compare. No plans to henna again...yet. If I get the itch, I'm going to try and hold off at least until this Sept.

theindecisiveon
March 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have a cassia question - I hope it's OK to ask it in this thread.

I've just bought some cassia from henna-boy.co.uk and in the guidelines it recommended 400g for my mid-back length hair. Everywhere else seems to advise 200g. Is it possible to have different strengths of cassia powder? Or is the site just giving generous quantities to make sure?

Thanks in advance to all you henna/cassia gurus! I know nothing about henna or cassia but I'm very excited to try it.

Elfling
March 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
200g would probably do you fine. I used 200g of henna and 100g of indigo today and had TONS left over, and my hair is well past BSL. I like to err on the side of having stuff left over so I don't mind overbuying.

Isilme
March 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have a cassia question - I hope it's OK to ask it in this thread.

I've just bought some cassia from henna-boy.co.uk and in the guidelines it recommended 400g for my mid-back length hair. Everywhere else seems to advise 200g. Is it possible to have different strengths of cassia powder? Or is the site just giving generous quantities to make sure?

Thanks in advance to all you henna/cassia gurus! I know nothing about henna or cassia but I'm very excited to try it.

seems like many henna sellers are VERY generous with the amount of mud! Sometimes I wonder if it's because they want to sell more... No offense to people like hennasoq, but for example henna for hair's recommendations are really silly.

Elfling
March 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
In their defense, mixing henna isn't an exact thing, and people are encouraged to do a strand test. It's not expensive stuff, you might as well get extra; and hennaforhair encourages freezing leftover henna as well.

The amounts people use are going to vary depending on hair thickness and length. If you're the seller, you don't want to recommend an amount that won't cover someone with thick hair.

quidscribis
March 16th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Freezing extra henna is great. I've done that a few times, and when I want to touch up my roots, I just take it out of the freezer about fifteen minutes ahead of time and apply the cold stuff to my scalp, and it still dyes great. But I also live in a tropical country, so y'all probably won't like the idea of applying henna popsicles to yer head. :p

khyricat
March 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I just defrost frozen henna overnight.. but I think there are 2 things- a) what it is mixed with- affects how much is needed, and b) how thick/coarse the hair is- both affect how much is needed, and someone with super thick, fine hair (and there are some here on the boards) would need a lot more henna than someone with thin, coarse hair, or even someone with thin, fine hair like myself.

Amie

Nightshade
March 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Freezing extra henna is great. I've done that a few times, and when I want to touch up my roots, I just take it out of the freezer about fifteen minutes ahead of time and apply the cold stuff to my scalp, and it still dyes great. But I also live in a tropical country, so y'all probably won't like the idea of applying henna popsicles to yer head. :p

LOL Notsomuch. I woke up this morning to more snow, and I think the coldest it got here this winter was -67F with the wind chill :scared:

Then again, I don't think I could do it in the summer (when it regularly gets over 90F). I'm a wimp when it comes to cold :o

curly girl fla
March 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, everyone. I've lurked here for many years, and have really appreciated all the great info. I now have a question. I used henna for the first time about a month ago, and absolutely love the results. The only thing is that I can't seem to use the same conditioners as before. Could protein be a bad thing for me now since the henna bonds to keratin? I never had a protein sensitivity before nor did I experience build-up. In fact, my hair likes (liked?) protein. Now, when I use certain things, my hair feels healthy and much fuller, but a bit straw-like. I am modified CG-no 'cones, no sulfates...I hate to not be able to use up my current stash of goods...:-( Any recommendations? TIA!

Ms Kitty
March 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Here's a henna I used to get BAQ Jamila henna same as Catherine's personal stash.http://www.mehndiskinart.com

Chromis
March 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
In case you've ever wondered if henna and indigo that have been frozen for two years will still dye release, the answer is YES! In fact this has been my nicest experiment to date, I managed to get full coverage with my patented gloop and massage in method instead of interesting looking streaks this go :D

Strongnlong
March 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm so glad to see the revival of the Henna Thread. The information & advice here is invaluable. ETA: Thank You Prosperina!

Questions? How do I determine "good" henna? Is it greener? Is there a more pungent odor? Does it have to be super-fine?

I'm generally able to find ok henna locally but not wanting to be a slave to a particular brand I haven't been very selective with my choices for the past yr.

TIA!

ChloeDharma
March 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Hi, everyone. I've lurked here for many years, and have really appreciated all the great info. I now have a question. I used henna for the first time about a month ago, and absolutely love the results. The only thing is that I can't seem to use the same conditioners as before. Could protein be a bad thing for me now since the henna bonds to keratin? I never had a protein sensitivity before nor did I experience build-up. In fact, my hair likes (liked?) protein. Now, when I use certain things, my hair feels healthy and much fuller, but a bit straw-like. I am modified CG-no 'cones, no sulfates...I hate to not be able to use up my current stash of goods...:-( Any recommendations? TIA!

Hi there, glad you started posting :)

In short i don't know the answer to your question.....but as an idea what about mixing things in with the products to use them up? Diluting whatever is giving you issues.....i'm thinking aloe, honey etc.
Good luck anyway

Lexie
March 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Strongnlong, I think a good way to gauge henna is indeed the sift. If it's poor, you know they put little effort and possibly a lot of filler in it--ie. twigs, bark, etc. And be wary of anything bright green. It may actually contain green dye particles to simply make it look fresher which is a good indication that it's exactly the opposite. Someone on another forum used a compound henna and had a severe allergic reaction to those added dyes which she had previously been aware of but believed were harmless. If I remember right, it took at least a couple weeks for her to recover, and then she switched to Jamila. It was just sad that she had no idea that could happen to her.

curly girl fla, I know people have mentioned protein and henna before. Not everyone has good results, and some do find that anything more than light conditioner becomes too much for their hair once they start hennaing. I know a lot of people even have to cut down on their styling products. Diluting them might be a good idea. I'm not really used to doing all that much with my hair, so I can't really give much advice there. I can tell you my mother ended up with about 4 different types of shampoos and conditioners when I was trying to find the right one for myself. :D She complained every time she washed her hair.

gunjee
March 17th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I have done lots of hennas. I don't remember how many, but lots. I've done glosses mixing dye released henna with conefree conditioner, I've made my henna mix with yogurt, I've made it with hot water, coffee, and tea. I've heard from other Indian women the reason to mix henna in an iron pot is to get iron oxides (rust) to mix in and contribute to the red dye. The yogurt made my hair nicely conditioned, but not quite as bright red. A henna gloss conditions even more and imparts color too, but won't cover up stubborn greys. Hot water gives a good red color. Coffee and tea both push the color more towards brown. I want my hair browner so I make a strong cup of black tea to mix into my henna. I use a 1/2 teaspoon each of shikakai, amla, aritha, bringraj, brahmi, cinnamon, and clove powders in addition to 1/2 a cup of henna so it's not just henna. The cloves have terping ability to get dye-release to happen sooner they say, but even hot water works well alone so I don't know about that. My hair turns out noticably browner and I have coarse, thick black Indian hair. It makes my hair very shiny and strong. But it always makes my hair dry, so after I rinse it out the next day (I apply overnight) with just water, I apply some almond oil mixed with some tea tree essential oil to my wet hair and leave it like that for the day. Tea tree is also a terping agent and so I like to think that it will work on getting more henna dye to stick to my hair as there is always a henna residue leftover. When I rinse, not everything comes out. I have plenty of powdery stuff fall out when I shake my head upside down after my hair dries. After a day like this, I will usually CO my hair the next morning. I shed a ton of hair everytime I henna, but I have a ton of hair too so it's no big deal. But whenever I CO I lose a ton of hair, so that's the only time I CO (unless I'm feeling too lazy to wash with herbs or with my CV shampoo bars, but that hardly ever happens) so I don't lose a lot of hair other times. Oh, and I WO for a week before washing, sometimes 2 weeks. My hair is actually in better condition the longer I wait to wash it. It was in really good condition when I was washing just once a month, so if your scalp can handle it, I highly recommend WO.

-Shilpa

stalking_cat
March 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Another lurker deciding to speak -er- type. I've learned so much, and am slowly trying to treat my hair better (Alas, I'm addicted to hot water and too impatient to truly brush gently. I'm working on it.)

I have done a couple henna glosses and decided to do a full henna. Without a strand test - mistake no. 1. The weekend before a job interview - mistake no. 2.

Saturday night - 200g BAQ1 from the henna for hair site, enough warm tap water to make - well, almost a clay-y consistancy - def. too much, too thick, but I didn't want it to drip like my glosses always do. Applied to towel dried hair, covered and left on for 8, maybe 8 1/2 hours (rinsing it out at 1:30 Sunday morning.)

Issue no. 1 - I'm still dripping orange when I get it wet. I ran the hot water tank dry when I washed the henna out, then again the next morning, and still made the bathwater incredibly orange last night. Any ideas how to get it all out without running up the parental water bill?

Second, the orange issue. I know that the orange tones down, but mom is still freaking out about it, esp. since I have that interview coming up Wed. morning. Any thoughts on how to make Mom happy and tone down the orange temporarily for the interview? According to her, it's still "fluorescent" :eyeroll: (Yes, it hasn't even been 48 hrs. I can't get her to understand that. She's very critical of the natural stuff, thinks there's a reason the chemicals were invented - they're better! :()

anyway, a pic or two - neither show the day-glo-ness very well, but what can you do with a webcam?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/songshade/2342523608/ - probably the better of the two.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/songshade/2342523580/ - bleargh, too dark. ah well, you can look anyway.

I think it'll be fine, but I need options for the maternal unit. I love her, but I'm 27 (in a couple hours) - I can do funky things with my hair if I want :P Besides, my hair feels soooo nice, now. And I like the color (except for the omgcopper! bits, but it's early yet.)

Thanks,
Amanda

Chromis
March 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Stalking cat - It's bright but I wouldn't call it fluorescent! I'd just put it up and not worry about it. From the pictures you look fairly pale, so it looks like a natural colour and it's not like it's blue or anything.

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
try spraying it with hibiscus tea (darker reddish), or mixing indigo with conditioner, but it may last a long time and even tint it slightly. Can make it go black, only leave it on for a short tie, make test strips!
There is a thread somewhere about temporary cover up for greys....

Strongnlong
March 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Strongnlong, I think a good way to gauge henna is indeed the sift. If it's poor, you know they put little effort and possibly a lot of filler in it--ie. twigs, bark, etc. And be wary of anything bright green. It may actually contain green dye particles to simply make it look fresher which is a good indication that it's exactly the opposite. Someone on another forum used a compound henna and had a severe allergic reaction to those added dyes which she had previously been aware of but believed were harmless. If I remember right, it took at least a couple weeks for her to recover, and then she switched to Jamila. It was just sad that she had no idea that could happen to her.

Thx, Lexie. That sounds like sound simple advice!

quidscribis
March 18th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Stalking Cat, I find that the best method for me to get henna out is first to rinse with water to remove as much as possible, then add gobs of conditioner and massage that thoroughly through my hair and then rinse again. I have no residue left and the water ends up running clear and colourless when I do it that way.

khyricat
March 18th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Stalking cat:

2 things- a) hibiscus rinse will darken the red a bit until rinsed out (use it as a leave in)
b) I mermaid soak in a few inches of water in the tub mutliple times, then use a handheld massaging shower head to get the rest out.. almost right up against my head.

Girltron
March 18th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Hey everyone-sorry I haven't fixed my photos yet-

stalkingcat, I love that color. I'd leave it be, if I were you. A couple of days does wonders for deepening henna color. You may have a lot of color bleed for the first month or two of henna use, as your hair looks light-ish.

Glasseyes! I think two toned hair would look cool on you. In my opinion, why bother trying to alter the color?

As for myself, I've just covered my bathroom in Catherine's EXTREMELY virile indigo. I still can't do a root job without slinging it everywhere. I always end up pouring a bit of water over my scalp and smooshing everything around, it's the only way not to miss spots. Anybody got better advice? I'm not about to ask my husband to help, he thinks this stuff is completely hooey.

quidscribis
March 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Stalking Cat, I finally looked at your picture. It's a lovely lovely lovely colour. I'd love to have that colour. But I also like bright, so...

MeMyselfandI
March 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Stalking Cat

I like the colour of your hair. For the job interview, your hair looks natural. Leave it be and play with it after if need be. I would not do an indigo over the henna for now. Before making and decisions wait 4 days for all oxidation to happen.

Girltron

Have you looked at the root shooters at Catherine's shop? They are syringes to do your roots.

How about a bottle applicator.

I have never been able to do just the roots, with the chemical dyes. I have not tried it with the henna yet. I am hoping with the henna I will not be getting a large demarcation line.

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Stalking Cat, I finally looked at your picture. It's a lovely lovely lovely colour. I'd love to have that colour. But I also like bright, so...

That's the color I've been shooting for, and I think it looks fantastic on you! I vote to keep it.

Girltron
March 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM
MeMyselfAndI,

I tried a different sort of squeeze bottle once. I had to make it very liquid to avoid wasting half the indigo still in the bottle. Henna's easier to manage with my fingers, but indigo's a pain. I'd like to try a brush but I don't know how I'd see what I was doing in the back. At this time my technique is to rub it into my scalp with my fingers (no easy task wearing gloves), then spritz with water and comb it to sort of feather it downward. It combs down thinly to about my earlobes. Then I squish it around onto my scalp and bun/cover. It's very drippy this way but the best I can do. I just hope the layering down past my root demarcation line doesn't eventually wind up making my hair black. I'm just using it to darken my hair a tic and help cover greys. Then I henna over top.

khyricat
March 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
what about my baggie piping bag trick? make it theconsistancy you want, you can always squeeze the rest out.. that might help some.. and if you need it, you can actually use a cake decorating tip inside the bag..

Amie

Girltron
March 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Do you mix the paste in the bag? I once tried spooning already-mixed paste into a cone bag, but my kung fu isn't strong enough to spoon sticky paste into a soft plastic cone! It all stuck together and made a complete mess.

I'm funny looking today. I've got green ears, and about an inch and a half of blue (grey) roots. Looking forward to my henna tonight!

prosperina
March 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Stalking cat, does your mother know my mother? :) Because I got the exact same thing from my mom, she roped me into going to the salon with her for a "consultation". I humored her and the stylist, but flatly refused to let either of them do anything with the color. Eventually I toned with a small amount of LUSH marron that has henna and indigo. I know what you mean about fluorescent hair, it might not look that way in the picture or under certain light, but it can still look that way under lots of lights, especially under indoor fluorescent lights with lots of junior high school kids who called me pumpkin head. :D (That was an amusing substitute job.) That's how mine was--I don't know if yours is the same though; I'd let it be for a while then maybe consider the teeniest amount of indigo, if you're still unhappy with the color.

stalking_cat
March 18th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I personally like the color, it's just the whole interview thing that's got me paranoid, and my mother isn't helping. My SIL compares her to Monica from Friends. She never likes my hair. This morning it was "isn't there anything you can do to it? Can you dye over it?" I told her dying would fry it, so she dropped that. "Well, they look at first impressions, you know and it's not good. It's not bad, but it's not good. Oh, and Happy Birthday." Yeah, happy birthday, you're not getting the job :p

She hates my hair. Her hair is dark (but going grey, which she's cool with,) wavy, but well behaved. It does exactly what she wants it to do. My hair is (well, naturally,) blonde/brown/strawberry, and can't decide if it wants to be curly or strait, and won't do what she wants easily. It frizzes if I threaten it with a blowdryer and requires at least a half-hour on the highest heat setting to straighten it. (i've stopped doing that, save for special occasions.) My theory is, my curly-wavy hair is to chaotic for her well-ordered mind to deal with. It doesn't always behave, and it never does the same thing twice in a row.

Wow, sorry for the mom-rant. I do love her. Some days, I have to remind myself that.

tl;dr - Love the color, love henna. Mom needs to chill. :p

prosperina
March 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
There's nothing wrong with the occasional Mom rant. :) If you like the color, leave it alone.

You've pretty much just described my hair exactly, color and texture and everything. I hate that people think it needs to be either straight or curly to be professional or well put together. Wavy is not messy. Wavy is wavy. I don't know how long your hair is, but as it gets longer it might be easier to handle.

khyricat
March 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I mix it in the bag and then cut the corner off.. I'd have to push the tip into the corner and then somehow avoid pulling it lose while squishing the paste into form to use a tip, but just cutting a small corner gives me a decent controlling tip...

I actually mix it by kneading the henna dough (I only add enough liquid to turn it to thick dough/clay for dye release) with the gelled water added in small increments until its the right consistancy, then I cut a corner off and start applying.. using a ziploc lets me mix it with no mess and I can toss the baggie when done.. just like my gloves..

Amie

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Stalking Cat.....is your mum English? I thought it was only here that ginger was something people disliked!
I have to say i ADORE your colour.....i'd be chuffed with that myself! And i can't see ANY reason why it would look bad in an interview.....god, if my hair was that colour i'd be walking around so proud!

khyricat
March 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Stalking Cat- you're mom sounds like mine. nothing I do is ever good enough- too short, too long, too flat, too light, too dark..

Amie

Brianna
March 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I've decided to try out henna. :) I just ordered a premixed "medium brown" blend (since I don't actually want red hair, unfortunately I don't think it would look good on me :rolleyes:) from Marocco Method, which was mentioned in Nightshade's article. I'm just wondering, though - estimations on how much henna you actually need depending on hair length seems to vary wildly depending on where I look. I ordered 8 ounces (about 220 grams) and my hair is BSL, medium thickness. Do you think that'll be enough, or should I order more?

Elfling
March 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
It should be fine. Just don't mix it too thickly; you want yogurt, not mashed potatoes when it comes to spreadability.

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I've decided to try out henna. :) I just ordered a premixed "medium brown" blend (since I don't actually want red hair, unfortunately I don't think it would look good on me :rolleyes:) from Marocco Method, which was mentioned in Nightshade's article. I'm just wondering, though - estimations on how much henna you actually need depending on hair length seems to vary wildly depending on where I look. I ordered 8 ounces (about 220 grams) and my hair is BSL, medium thickness. Do you think that'll be enough, or should I order more?

Your hair type is pretty close to mine, you'll be fine with 220g, and will probable have leftovers. :) I also recommend hennaing on clean, towel-dried hair. Dry hair tends to sap the moisture out of the henna mud and make it harder to work with.

Lexie
March 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
No problem, Strongnlong. :)

Hey, Stalking cat, try an ACV/white vinegar rinse post-henna. In some cases, the color bleeding may just be henna residue, but sometimes the color may actually be bleeding from the open hair shaft and the vinegar rinse will help with that.

ilovelonghair
March 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I heard you allowed to put aluminium foil to cover up hair with henna in it, is that true? I always do it that way, but maybe it's wrong?

pookatrina
March 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
If the henna mix is a bit too thick can you add water after dye release to thin it a bit?

Nightshade
March 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
If the henna mix is a bit too thick can you add water after dye release to thin it a bit?

Absolutely :) It doesn't hurt anything at all.

In other news the henna article is back up and the link is back in my siggy! :cheer:

Nightshade
March 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I heard you allowed to put aluminium foil to cover up hair with henna in it, is that true? I always do it that way, but maybe it's wrong?

I use saran wrap, but foil should be fine. The only metal that is somewhat of a concern is iron.

wintersun99
March 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Stalking Cat - your hair is very pretty and it will tone down a bit, promise. If it makes you feel any better, I had a mishap right before a job interview and had to go to it with GREEN hair, yes, green. I didn't have time to fix it so I bought a super cute hat to wear and it turned out great - got the job - told my co-workers the story later and still get teased about it over beers.

Sakura07
March 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I henned for the first time last week. Currently I am really liking the results. It gives my black / really dark brown hair red undertones in the sun light.

It surprised me on the day after i henned you could see the red in my hair even in bad lighting. But that has toned down a bit, I'm slightly disappointed but i knew that would happen.

I think I'm going to henna again in like a month or so though.

khyricat
March 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Sakura, I know what you mean, someone told me as it built up it would be more visible on the darks- not true.. I LOVE the first few days post henna, but after that its just my whites that show as red, and the whole thing glows in sunlight amazingly..

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
before it oxidises it is more a bright orangey colour. When i do my mothers white hairs it really doesn't look good, lol, but then after a few days it dulls down.
If you want the henna to show up more on your length you probably shouldn't henna them over and over it will just get a darker red, even looking blueish in some lights (well that is what happens with my hair) I suggest you do your root and then do a really diluted henna gloss (light a tbsp to conditioner, enough to cover your hair?) And so it still conditions it but adds only the smallest amount of colour so it stays light?
But it is your hair do what ever you want.

Girltron
March 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
My hands are the color of carrots, tra la...

Why not? Says I. I'm only doing roots. It won't take that long, and the mix doesn't even have acid in it. It's so much easier to apply with bare hands...

This is a testament to how much more dye is in my Yemeni. I remember when I never wore gloves to apply henna. That was back when I used only lemon juice in my mix! Now there's no added acid OR terpene but a few minutes in the henna and my palms are an extraordinary color. Bet it'll oxidize even darker tomorrow!

pookatrina
March 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I am really surprised at the naturalness of henna as far as the color. My hair naturally is very different in different light, when I dye I loose that. With the henna it still does that. :D

MadHatter
March 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM
My hands are the color of carrots, tra la...

Why not? Says I. I'm only doing roots. It won't take that long, and the mix doesn't even have acid in it. It's so much easier to apply with bare hands...

I did that once :p
And it is easier to apply with bare hands. I would do it like that from now on, if only it weren't for the month-long oompa-loompa look.

What kind of henna were you using before that didn't stain your hands?

Choccielocks
March 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hi!
Been thinking about trying henna for a while but been too chicken, is there any possibility of it going wrong on dark hair, eg. going really red?? The permanance of it kinda scares me a little but been using semi-perm chemical dyes and I know I should stop. One more question - does the henna have to be body art quality? Only found one online supplier to UK that does it (henna boy) and it's quite pricey. However the site where I get my cassia from sells henna but not BAQ for a lot cheaper. Do I take the plunge??

Thanks for any advice x

Choccielocks
March 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
p.s that was my first post, hurrah!x

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi!
Been thinking about trying henna for a while but been too chicken, is there any possibility of it going wrong on dark hair, eg. going really red?? The permanance of it kinda scares me a little but been using semi-perm chemical dyes and I know I should stop. One more question - does the henna have to be body art quality? Only found one online supplier to UK that does it (henna boy) and it's quite pricey. However the site where I get my cassia from sells henna but not BAQ for a lot cheaper. Do I take the plunge??

Thanks for any advice x

First of all, Welcome to LHC!! :flowers:

Onto your questions. Henna can appear to lighten darker hair, but people like Pookatrina, Jel, and I mix ours with cassia to deliberately do that. If you use just henna and it's too bright (even after it fully oxidized in 3 days), then just do a second henna application to deepen the color a bit. Note that if you find you do that, you will always have to do your roots twice. Another possibility is to mix a bit of indigo in, but many find this washes out and leaves the henna behind.

I would *always always always* error on the side of quality with henna. Consider it a safeguard against dying your hair green. Now, odds are good that the henna you're looking at might be legit, and might be good. The thing with the BAQ stuff is that it is VERY finely sifted and many of the "hair quality" hennas 1) don't have as much dye content 2) aren't as finely sifted, meaning they're hard to rinse out, and you have residue for a few washes at least 3) you have no guarantee what is in there unless you buy from a reputable seller. At that, many times henna doesn't fade at all, and if it does, it's only a bit after the first application. Many find that they can just do their roots afterwards, so you're only looking at that really expensive investment ONCE. I vote to do it right. To touch up my roots I literally only need 6TB of henna each time, and at that I often have leftovers to freeze.

If you really want to look into the lower-priced stuff I would try to get a sample of BAQ (no sure if Henna Boy offers them, but it can't hurt to ask), and compare them on two test samples of your hair. This page gives ways to test the henna (http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/whatsinit.html)to be sure it doesn't contain VERY damaging metallic salts (which is what makes people's hair turn green and/or dissolve if another chemical treatment is applied to it afterwards. I really recommend proceeding with caution on this, that whole ounce of prevention and pound of cure deal :)

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Welcome Chockielocks!

How dark is your hair? Henna, as I'm sure you know, doesn't lift color, so if you have dark brown hair, there is no way you will go fire engine red; it's just not possible. I like henna on dark brown hair because it doesn't really change the color as much; you just get a pretty red glow in the sunshine.

Second, what is the other place you're thinking of getting your henna? If they sell cassia, they might also be BAQ and just not say so. But in general, I think BAQ is best, that way it won't go wonky with the chemical dyes that are already in your hair.

Also, make sure to read the henna article, if you haven't already, it is posted under articles.

Choccielocks
March 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks prosperina!
My hair's fairly dark, what you describe sounds exactly what I would like my hair to look like, still brown but with red undertones, and in better condition with no chemicals of course! Will check out the article you suggest, thanks.
As for the henna purchasing, I think I'll go with the cheaper stuff as now I know the colour will only be subtle then I'll take a chance. Cash a bit tight at the moment! Cassia always seems to be good from there. Just got to brave and do it now!
Many thanks for your advice xx

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
No problem. :) Do though, as Nightshade said, strand test before you do it. Please, I wouldn't want you to have funky hair or greenish fried hair. Chances are it probably won't hurt you, but you never know.

yufeyziqi
March 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I recently read somewhere that Henna does harm to your hair. It covers your hair with such a thick coat that no moisture can penetrate. That leaves your hair a dry, frizz mess.

I wonder whether it's true or not.

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have very dark hair with whites.. my darks have red tones in bright lights, and my whites are now red. Because I use pure henna and long applications, it is not a bright coppery red, but a deeper red (you can see my 4 day color with a flash in my profile pic). I keep redoing my whole head trying to get it even darker and deeper red, but I'm at max saturation.. its just easier to keep doing that than to try doign roots only since I like the max saturation look.

Amie

Choccielocks
March 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
ooh, hi nightshade, I'm sorry I missed your reply, just went straight to the last page of thread, silly me!
Thanks for all your advice, it's really helpful and much appreciated. I guess I thought the reason that BAQ was so expensive because I read somewhere that you need to use 400g on BSL hair (mine) which cost about £40 inc shipping ( approx $80). Scary! I see what you mean about only having to do roots after full application though, so used to doing whole-head semi-permanents! I think I'll get in touch with cassia supplier and ask about their henna, don't like the idea of having the henna still stuck in my hair for days after!
Thanks again!x

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I recently read somewhere that Henna does harm to your hair. It covers your hair with such a thick coat that no moisture can penetrate. That leaves your hair a dry, frizz mess.

there is no way this could be true, my hair would be a disaster.. if anything over the original years I used BAQ henna in the 80's and early nineties.. and now in the last 6 months.. on the other hand- some things advertised as henna have other chemicals in them and they are nasty! if anything in my case henna has saved my hair. I also know a lot of people say that ACIDS are needed for henna to work- they dry out and damage hair and in most cases are completely unnecesary...

Choccielocks
March 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I hope that's not true yufeyzigi!
Will definitely strand test, too scared not to!
Khyricat, your hair looks fab in your profile pic, really subtle colour, just what I'm after.
Here's to lots of time in the bathroom with gloves and mixing bowls with hubby saying - 'what on earth are you putting on your hair NOW?!?!'

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Totally untrue, as khyricat pointed out. There's an wonderful study that gladtobemom participated in for her graduate degree (iirc) that showed that while henna both penetrated and coated the hair, the coating was both oil and water permeable. The only thing it does is help the cuticle lay more tightly, which is why waves and curls tend to fall out of hennaed hair on occasion.

ooh, hi nightshade, I'm sorry I missed your reply, just went straight to the last page of thread, silly me!
Thanks for all your advice, it's really helpful and much appreciated. I guess I thought the reason that BAQ was so expensive because I read somewhere that you need to use 400g on BSL hair (mine) which cost about £40 inc shipping ( approx $80). Scary! I see what you mean about only having to do roots after full application though, so used to doing whole-head semi-permanents! I think I'll get in touch with cassia supplier and ask about their henna, don't like the idea of having the henna still stuck in my hair for days after!
Thanks again!x

For BSL hair? I can do my tailbone hair with 250g, I know Pookatriana, just did hers with about 200 and she's waist. It depends no hair thickness, but even my sister than has iii hair and is at BSL didn't need more than 250g. I'd order 300 and expect to be able to save a good portion of that for root touchups :)

Choccielocks
March 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I can't remember where I read that now, it's good to hear from regular hennaers (?) who know what they're talking about.
*off to see how much a 300g bag is. . .*

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I'm at just above BSL and my hair is fine/medium and thick. I just did my roots *and* a two henna gloss follow ups with 100g. And the results are just perfect.

I use a little squeezie bottle for applying hair color so I can target just the roots. I make my henna about the same consistency as commercial hair color, and mix it with plain water with just a splash of lemon (it irritates my scalp if I use too much).

For the gloss, I take the leftovers and mix with whatever cone-free condish I have hanging around, add just a few drops of jojoba oil and slater it on, top with a plastic bag & an old towel and sit in the sauna at the gym for an hour or so.

I've been doing roots about once a month and a couple glosses a month as follow up.

pookatrina
March 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Actually my hair is hip & almost tailbone & I did it with the 200 & had a tiny bit left over.

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
mine is just shy of BSL and thin, and I use 33 g at a time for a whole head henna and normally have leftover.... at this stage, I really don't need ot get the ends as much, but until that amount stops covering the entire head, I'll keep getting them, then I'll just do what it covers, I figure it still stretches plenty look, 1 kg lasts 30 hennas...

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Actually my hair is hip & almost tailbone & I did it with the 200 & had a tiny bit left over.

My bad, sweetie, I'll stop making that mistake one of these days :flowers:

Um Enis
March 21st, 2008, 07:02 AM
I jsut got the best henna results of my life and am completely thrilled!

I used yemeni henna from www.hennasooq.com (http://www.hennasooq.com)and mixed it with a strong solution of hibiscus (I stuffed my tallest glass with hibiscus (dried) poured boiling water over it and let it sit until cool enough to touch, then added it to the henna. I did that twice (the second time I let it seep longer) and then added a splash of vinegar. I let it sit by the stove from about 3pm until bedtime, and then put it on dry hair at bedtime, saran wrapped,a nd slept on it. I forgot to wash or clarify myhair the day before, which I ususally do. It applied so smoothly and rinsed out so easily! Ised a CO to wash it out.

God bless, it is GORGEOUS! THanks so much, khadija for the fabulous henna!

Girltron
March 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
I saw that great price on 06 Yemeni and drooled, but the shipping is too much for me. 06 Yemeni is my favorite henna EVER to date. I only have 75g left and I'm so sad...the color is much better for me and the staining power is way better. Catherine's Indian henna from several years back didn't stain my hands at all when I used it. I was so surprised by the Yemeni.

Actually what I love best about the 06 Yemen is the color I get after about a month of "wear". It mellows into a lovely sparky cinnamon. Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_powell2112/2290337982/sizes/l/

To compare with everyone, my hair is approaching tailbone length and I never use more than 100g to do a full-head application. 25g does my roots/down to my earlobes just fine.

MeMyselfandI
March 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
You all have me intrigued.

How can you use so little henna?

I used 150 grams of Yeman for my BSL hair. I did use less of the Jamila. I was surprised how much more water I needed to add to the Jamila. I actually needed less Jamila for the same volume of mud as the Yeman.

I made a thiner liquid last time. I ended up with spots all over the bathroom floor. I also thought it was not thick enough to rest on indiviual hairs.

How thin is the paste you all make?

Girltron I never thought of letting the Yemen mellow for a month and that it would actually change even more after the initial 4 days to a week. What is your original hair colour? Have you used the Yeman 2007.

What is the difference between the 2006 and the 2007 Yeman.

Another question. At what point does the henna get old so it does not colour like it did when it was fresher?

Nightshade
March 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
I make my paste so it's the consistency of thinner (but not runny) pancake batter, and I apply it to towel-dried hair. I actually find I get better and more accurate coverage with a thinner mix than with a thicker one.

The difference between the 2006 and the 2007 is just going to be the year that the crop was harvested :)

Henna powder can keep for a long time, so long as it's in the freezer. Left out a room temp, and even moreso if it is exposed to air, the dye will start to break down. Vacuum-sealed henna, in the freezer is supposed to last for a year, but I think it can actually safely last much much longer than that. In other words, I think the recommended time below are low-ball estimations:

Henna Mix Storage:
Cassia powder: fridge or room temp (cool dark place) up to one year, Cassia paste: freezer up to 6 months
Henna powder: fridge or freezer up to one year, Henna paste: freezer up to 6 months
Indigo powder: room temp (cool dark place) up to one year, Indigo paste: throw it away, it won't keep
Amla powder: fridge or room temp (cool dark place) up to one year, Amla (paste): freezer up to 6 months

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
I store in freezer, and have never had issues with fresh bought and stored henna getting "old". I have seen Hibiscus tea reduce the uptake of the henna dye (I posted about this on the old forums).

on the subject of amount of henna. I use a gel to make my paste- not just water. I take my liquid and heat it with cornstarch until it is a thick gel. then I mix that to consistancy. I also apply my henna paste to damp hair.. I wash, then wait about half an hour (normally this time is spent taking the thick dye released clay henna, and blending in the gel to the right consistancy). then wrap in plastic, put on a shower cap, and my henna cap to retain heat and go for it!

Chromis
March 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
I bought twice as much henna and indigo as I meant to a couple years ago and then discovered it takes a *lot* less for me than recommended amounts on hennaforhair. I'm also a pretty lazy henna user and go for a few months in between applications. I bought my henna and indigo from them, and if anything, the stuff seems to work better now than it did when I bought it!

I use about 100 grams of each in a two-step process, both mixed to a thick yogurt consistency and my hair is past tailbone.

Islandgrrl
March 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
It mellows into a lovely sparky cinnamon. Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_powell2112/2290337982/sizes/l/

To compare with everyone, my hair is approaching tailbone length and I never use more than 100g to do a full-head application. 25g does my roots/down to my earlobes just fine.

God, Girltron, could that BE any more gorgeous????? I think not!!!

Awesome, just awesome!

Ms Monnie
March 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only natural redhead to do this....I remember someone else who does, but can't remember her name. :o

I think this might be me. I'm glad I make such an impression on people :p.

My hair is naturally bang in the middle of the range of reds, but with occasional blonde tones (I don't know how good my siggy is in representing that). I used a mixture of:

3 tbs of cassia
1 tbs fenugreek
1 tbs BAQ henna

Mixed to a paste with strong chamomile tea, set aside in a warm place for dye release. Then add one (US) cup of SMT.

It did a very nice job. Next time I do it, I'm going to scale the henna down a lot. I used that recipe two or three times about one month apart, I didn't really notice that my hair had taken up that much colour and neither did anyone else, but when it grew out there was a demarcation line in strong light. I want to keep my colour as natural as possible, just with an occasional boost, so that wasn't the desired effect.

Hope this isn't too late, and I hope it helps. :)

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
tomorrow is henna day.. it's defrosting..

DolphinPrincess
March 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
I think this might be me. I'm glad I make such an impression on people :p.

My hair is naturally bang in the middle of the range of reds, but with occasional blonde tones (I don't know how good my siggy is in representing that). I used a mixture of:

3 tbs of cassia
1 tbs fenugreek
1 tbs BAQ henna

Mixed to a paste with strong chamomile tea, set aside in a warm place for dye release. Then add one (US) cup of SMT.

It did a very nice job. Next time I do it, I'm going to scale the henna down a lot. I used that recipe two or three times about one month apart, I didn't really notice that my hair had taken up that much colour and neither did anyone else, but when it grew out there was a demarcation line in strong light. I want to keep my colour as natural as possible, just with an occasional boost, so that wasn't the desired effect.

Ooh, what does adding the fenugreek do to the color and/or smell? Major difference? I have a bottle of fenugreek just sitting around and may have finally found a use for it!!!:D:D

Girltron
March 22nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
MeMyselfAndI, let's see if I can answer all that...

I get away with using 100g on tailbone length hair by making a thin, sweet, oily mix. I use microwaved honey, chamomile tea and coconut oil to thin my henna to a consistency like warm butter. Not quite as thin as pancake batter...but not much thicker. Because the 06 Yemeni is so stringy, I get a VERY smooth paste that actually feels like butter. Also, my hair is fairly fine textured. It's thick, but smooth and straight. So that helps me conserve henna. I apply it to damp, combed hair and use a comb to help distribute.

I've not used the 07 Yemeni. I'm so afraid it'll be different than 06 in texture. I'm one of the weirdos that really does think there's a color temperature difference between crops of henna (I know, nightshade, I'm sorry but I still think this!) so it worries me having to change to a new year soon. I'd love to buy a whole kilo from Black Cat Red Cat but I don't think it'll happen. Besides, even in the freezer at a 25g per month usage (roots), I can't imagine using a kilo up before the quality went south.

Part of why my hair color changes over the course of the month is I use indigo too. My natural color is a kind of murky middle brown with blond highlights and very old henna. My color process starts with indigo-I use a reverse two step-then 24h later I do my henna over top. I think the indigo washes out somewhat over a month, so that helps reveal the henna color. But also I do see a bit of color change over a month. It gets less fiery and more redbrown, but it also flames more in the sun by the end of the month. Then I do my roots, drawing the henna down a bit with a comb so it refreshes the length just a tiny bit. It brightens up the color and we go through the process again.

I think also because I mix cassia into the mix for my upper layers of hair, there could be some cassia washout over a month. You can see an area where the cassia is flaming more golden in that photo I linked.

And thank you very much, Islandgrrl! I'm very happy with my color now that I've found the perfect mix and process. I went through some nasty purplish and too-dark stages for a while there.

Requiax
March 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM

I appreciate your input. I did some test strands so now all that's left to do is wait for some more henna and go for it.

I decided on 1 part henna paste to 4 parts conditioner left on for an hour. Pictures will be posted. :)

MeMyselfandI
March 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Girltron,

Thanks for your explanations. I am glad you found what works for you. Your hair is beautiful.

I need to learn patience and experiment myself. I am trying different hennas now. Next I will be trying cassia and maybe indigo. I need to figure out what I want my greys to look like. I will let the rest of the hair be whatever colour it happens to become. Henna alone, I am not crazy about. I am worried that long term the indigo and cassia will leave the hair.

I have used Yemen 2007. It is stringy. I do not know how it compares to the 2006 crop. Very different from the Jamila which I did not find stringy at all.

Have you looked at HennaSooq for the 2006 Yemen. It is now on sold in 500g batches or 1kg.

http://www.hennasooq.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=98

Celebrian
March 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
MeMyselfAndI, let's see if I can answer all that...

I get away with using 100g on tailbone length hair by making a thin, sweet, oily mix. I use microwaved honey, chamomile tea and coconut oil to thin my henna to a consistency like warm butter. Not quite as thin as pancake batter...but not much thicker. Because the 06 Yemeni is so stringy, I get a VERY smooth paste that actually feels like butter. Also, my hair is fairly fine textured. It's thick, but smooth and straight. So that helps me conserve henna. I apply it to damp, combed hair and use a comb to help distribute.

I've not used the 07 Yemeni. I'm so afraid it'll be different than 06 in texture. I'm one of the weirdos that really does think there's a color temperature difference between crops of henna (I know, nightshade, I'm sorry but I still think this!) so it worries me having to change to a new year soon. I'd love to buy a whole kilo from Black Cat Red Cat but I don't think it'll happen. Besides, even in the freezer at a 25g per month usage (roots), I can't imagine using a kilo up before the quality went south.

Part of why my hair color changes over the course of the month is I use indigo too. My natural color is a kind of murky middle brown with blond highlights and very old henna. My color process starts with indigo-I use a reverse two step-then 24h later I do my henna over top. I think the indigo washes out somewhat over a month, so that helps reveal the henna color. But also I do see a bit of color change over a month. It gets less fiery and more redbrown, but it also flames more in the sun by the end of the month. Then I do my roots, drawing the henna down a bit with a comb so it refreshes the length just a tiny bit. It brightens up the color and we go through the process again.

I think also because I mix cassia into the mix for my upper layers of hair, there could be some cassia washout over a month. You can see an area where the cassia is flaming more golden in that photo I linked.

And thank you very much, Islandgrrl! I'm very happy with my color now that I've found the perfect mix and process. I went through some nasty purplish and too-dark stages for a while there.

Re your query about comparisons twixt Yemen 2006 and 2007... I asked at H4H, and Catherine seems to think they're 'virtually equal' colorwise. As to 'stringiness (which you like, don't you?) MeMyselfAndI has answered that question. It is.

So, as you love Yemen 2006 so much, I think you should have confidence in purchasing the 2007. Either get the smallest amount that makes it worth the shipping, or get more and sell it on here or something if you don't like it. Someone is bound to be interested... :D

Ms Monnie
March 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ooh, what does adding the fenugreek do to the color and/or smell? Major difference? I have a bottle of fenugreek just sitting around and may have finally found a use for it!!!:D:D

Actually, I don't think I've tried a mix without it so I couldn't compare. It's a moisturising herb, if I remember it has mucilaginous qualities (it's gooey) and it makes the mix smooth. Apparently it has a yellow tone, but I haven't noticed it. It's mostly used in Indian hair preparations but it's called methi, try searching that term or looking at the Indian herbs article by Shell :)

DolphinPrincess
March 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Actually, I don't think I've tried a mix without it so I couldn't compare. It's a moisturising herb, if I remember it has mucilaginous qualities (it's gooey) and it makes the mix smooth. Apparently it has a yellow tone, but I haven't noticed it. It's mostly used in Indian hair preparations but it's called methi, try searching that term or looking at the Indian herbs article by Shell :)

Ooh, thank you!

birdiefu
March 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM

I know you've got some other responses already, but I've been hennaing over previously lightened/highlighted hair for about 3 years now. My natural color is a dark brown (dark enough that its hard to tell new root growth from henna'd hair), my chemical dyed hair was medium auburn with strawberry blond highlights. The first few times I henna'd, my dyed hair was very orangey bright, but over repeated applications it has darkened up and the highlights have blended in.

If you look at my sig, you can see where the line of demarcation is (around APL-BSL), but I think it is far less obvious with the henna to help blend things together than if I had let it be. If there isn't too dramatic of a difference between your dyed and natural hair, you will probably get good blending results. But don't forget to strand test.

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
So, I've got henna in my hair with no strand test or previous full-head hennaing experience. Color me adventurous. :]

I bought about 500g of Jamila, mixed up 200g with a few tablespoons of clove powder, a few squirts of lime juice, and the rest of the liquid was extra-strong black tea. Before putting it on my hair, I mixed in a little of the old (pre-white bottle) formulation of Nature's Gate original herbal conditioner because I like the smell.

I used probably 125g, maybe 150g. I put the rest in the freezer. I got some on my arms and the back of my neck- my arms have nice little orange splotches now, and I fear for the back of my neck. I imagine I'll be wearing my hair down while it oxidizes, haha.... I can deal with strange colored hair more than splotchy, strange-colored skin. I did tell all my rowmates that I was going to do this though, and that if I came in all funny-colored, not to panic.

I put it on my hair at about 1:30, when I woke up, after leaving it overnight waiting for dye release. It's about 3:40 now. I'm probably going to rinse it out around 5:00-6:00, but I'm probably going to take a bath shortly as I skinned my knee while out with Chromis and I need to soften up the scabs, lol~

Here's hoping that my hair likes this... I'll report back once it's all washed out and dryed later tonight or tomorrow.

khyricat
March 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
if you wiped it off the skin fast enough, neck skin doesn't stain hard anyway- its normaly gone in a day or 2... I had it all over my forehead adn neck both this last time and no stain, I made DH check..

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
if you wiped it off the skin fast enough, neck skin doesn't stain hard anyway- its normaly gone in a day or 2... I had it all over my forehead adn neck both this last time and no stain, I made DH check..

I don't think I wiped it off fast enough to not stain at all, it probably stained about as much as my arms did which is pretty minor. I just took a picture for posterity hahah see: http://i26.tinypic.com/2hzmyw8.jpg

It's a huge pic because I didn't feel like cropping it or resizing it, but IE7 resizes it once it loads and you can see the color. I feel like the henna monster! and yes, I am rather white. :]

ETA: Yes, I am a HUGE KLUTZ and this is not the only splotch. The ones on my right arm are far more orangey. They shouldn't stick around longer than a week at most, but I do plan on exfoliating regularly to help 'em along.

prosperina
March 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
No strand testing? You're a woman after my own heart. :D That's how I did it, and it ended up okay after some other tweaking. What is your natural color? I can't exactly tell from your siggy pics.

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
No strand testing. I'm not sure, really, whether I'm adventurous or just stupid. Hahah...that's how I did my chemical dyes when I was into that though- strand tests are for the weak.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? If I don't like it, I'll pull it back in a bun until it fades to a point where I do.

My hair is a medium brown- let me find my Flickr... http://flickr.com/photos/80447777@N00/ there you go.

Good examples:
http://flickr.com/photos/80447777@N00/2289444021/ [bigger version of sigpic]
http://flickr.com/photos/80447777@N00/2151435208/ [on Black Friday, in different lighting]
Truly, it's closer to the first pic.

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Henna rinsed after 4 hours. That was rough! I used up the remainders of 3 bottles of v05 conditioner (strawberries & cream, vanilla mint, chamomile - the combo of those with my henna mix is rather yummy!)...two bottles on trying to rinse in the shower standing up, failing. I then filled up the tub and did a mermaid soak with scritchies, focusing on my scalp because I had noticed that my dandruff needed a good scritching to remove as well, and it was showing up under my fingernails red so errrr...let's mermaid-soak! Once I was satisfied with that, I turned on the shower again, smoothed the remainder of the conditioner through my hair, detangled with my fingers, then rinsed one more time - all done! I seem to have gotten most of it out, though of course my scalp has gunk still on it between my dandruff and the henna.

Towel-dried and letting it dry down, the color change is apparent to me, but let's see how noticeable it is by others. I can definitely see the henna shine, and it doesn't seem to have dried my hair at all. I think I'm a convert. I do need to touch up later this month or next month though, as I got it on my hair pretty splotchy too. I'll let it mellow, see the color and see if I really need to do the entire head again or not... My curls certainly seem to have liked it :]

7:07PM:
Such a pretty color so far! My camera ran out of batteries, I'll have to work up the motivation to go over to the store later. http://flickr.com/photos/80447777@N00/ - the four? most recent pictures are from when it was just starting to dry and I was trying to catch it in the light :]

prosperina
March 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
When it has finished oxidizing, you ought to post pictures--here and at the henna social group. :)

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Will-do! :)

I love the color so far. I can only imagine what it'll look like when it's done oxidizing.

I smell good too haha~ The clove powder I put in the henna mix stuck around. I think the boy will like that, he's a big clove boy.

Edit, to add day-of pictures:

Without flash, in dim inside yellow light:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2356010975_40b3359433.jpg

Same spot, but with flash (similar to what I get outside):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2356012135_5c9b2c20fa.jpg

Original color, bad picture of myself but good rep of my hair:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2290237408_2fa54828b5.jpg

Elfling
March 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Looks fabulous!

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks :) I hope the color changes nicely. In reality, the current color is right smack in the middle of the two colors I posted. The shopkeep across the street said she was jealous of my hair and I've had it down in there before without her saying anything... so perhaps this is a good thing. Haha...

stalking_cat
March 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement and support. Everyone adores my hair - except my mother. So we're ignoring her. I even went to the stylists for a consultation, and two different stylists liked the color. (And I got a little henna evangelism in :D)

morningstar
March 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
HI stalking Cat! You you are a henna head? Great! So am I . See what I mean? Stop lurking and visit. Henna is great and corrected all my hair problems.

n3m3sis42
March 25th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I thought I'd share my (somewhat limited) experiences with henna here as well.

I've henna'ed twice, both times whole-head using BAQ Rajasthani henna which I bought from Mehandi.com (which was one of the sites recommended on hennaforhair.com). Incidentally, I think I know where some people here got the idea that 400 g of henna powder was needed for BSL hair--Mehandi.com has the following list on the page where I ordered my henna powder:

"100g will dye short hair.
200g will dye collar length straight hair.
300g will dye shoulder length straight hair.
500g will dye waist length hair.
I use 500 g and my hair goes to my fingertips."

I know that when I first ordered henna, I took this to mean that I'd need around 400 g to dye my BSL (at the time) hair. In reality, I think I probably only needed about 100 g (although I really ended up using about 200 g or more, because I kept making my husband glop more on "just in case"). The second time I henna'ed, a couple of months ago, I'd learned from experience and probably only used 150-200 g to dye my hair (which was maybe 3 inches above waist-length).

I mixed my henna powder with lemon juice both times, as up until just recently, I thought that lemon juice was *necessary* in order to release the henna's natural dye. I'm still not entirely clear on what can be done instead to ensure dye release without the added dryness, although the second time I henna'ed, I added tea to my henna/lemon juice mix and did an ACV rinse after I washed out the henna, and my dryness really was not bad at all. I used nothing but cool water to rinse out the henna, and while this did take darn close to forever, it seemed okay afterwards. I haven't put commercial conditioner on my hair in over a year, and I was scared to use any to rinse out my henna.

My hair is dark brown with a few whites at the crown. I left my henna paste on for around three hours, covered with a plastic bag and a towel but with no other heat applied. The result was shiny, dark-reddish-tinted hair (after it oxidized over the next few days) and dark red on my whites. I really do feel that my hair has had better shine and a lot fewer splits since I started henna'ing. As an added bonus, even my mother (who turned up her nose and said that henna was "ugly" when I told her I was thinking about henna'ing) loves the color it makes my hair. :D

I'm planning on henna'ing again here pretty soon (as soon as my husband is willing to do it for me again). Because I couldn't resist the sale, I just purchased 1 kg of 2006 Yemeni henna powder from Hennasooq.com. However, I still have to use up the remainder of my Rajasthani henna before I can try the new stuff that's on the way. Which makes me a little sad, because after all the rave reviews of the Yemeni henna in this thread, I want to try it RIGHT NOW. ;-)

quidscribis
March 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
If it helps, when I do a full length henna at bsl, I take about 200-300 grams of henna. BUT I also have thick hair - 5.75" circumference.

I suspect that they have those measurements listed because those are the upper bounds of what would be required, and it's better to have too much than not enough. Having said that, though, now that I've been educated in the ways of i/ii/iii-ness, it would make more sense to me to have guidelines based on thicknesses. But that would likely confuse too many people...

khyricat
March 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
n3m3sis42:

I honestly think you could just try dye release with tea or water.. all I use in my henna is water and cornstarch to thicken the mix.. a) it stretches the amount of henna needed and B) it helps me avoid dripping even when the mix is a bit thin!

kamaram
March 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hi ladies, need your advices.

I have nearly BSL length, black hair and I am planning to henna it for slighly noticable reddish/copper - no orange tone- I hate that color. So hennaforyou suggested 1/2 cassia and 1/2 henna. What do you henna experts suggests and what else should I mix in as my hair is kind of dry and I don't want to make it drier. I applied crappy henna before, no color. I want to give it another try.

Thanks in Advance.

khyricat
March 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
if your hair is truly black- then you won't get much red just suncolor.. my darks are ALMOST black and thats all they get.. but my whites turn nicely dark red, and give me these great highlights without any bleaching involved.. and unlike when I used semi permanent dyes last.. those didn't make it a week at a time.. I use straight henna with a very long application time to get the amount of color I want on my whites... but even without that I can't seen needing cassia for what you describe, if anything it would dilute the henna color.

Celebrian
March 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I thought people would be interested to know that I'm considering doing a much weaker henindigo gloss this week. It probably won't work - but in the interests of economy and speed of rinse-out for myself, I'm looking at a mix containing one heaped teaspoon henna to about three of indigo for a mid-dark brown. Yep, I said teaspoons! Should be interesting anyway. I'm looking at 'less is more' here, or just wondering if it's neccessary to plaster our hair in really thick goop to achieve satisfactory results.

My problem is the greys - so the mix may not be potent enough. We'll see. What do you all think?

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hi ladies, need your advices.

I have nearly BSL length, black hair and I am planning to henna it for slighly noticable reddish/copper - no orange tone- I hate that color. So hennaforyou suggested 1/2 cassia and 1/2 henna. What do you henna experts suggests and what else should I mix in as my hair is kind of dry and I don't want to make it drier. I applied crappy henna before, no color. I want to give it another try.

Thanks in Advance.

karmaram,

The 1/2 cassia and 1/2 henna is for light blond hair. I would suggest using straight henna, with chamomile tea (use filtered water). The chamomile tea will act as a conditioner. Do not use lemon juice it will dry out your hair even more.

On your black hair, you will get an orange-reddish sheen.

If you have grey hair it would look like this picture.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/diane/

If you do not want any orange, make sure you do a strand test on your hair to see if you like the colour once it oxidizes.

Girltron
March 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I just wanna specify that I have quite dark hair and I still notice a hue difference between straight henna and henna/cassia mixes. My husband notices, too. When I've left the henna on too long or not mixed in enough cassia, he tells me "your hair is purple".

Don't forget that the flaming does cause your hair to look lighter in value most of the time, so the hue will still show up even if you mix cassia into henna for black hair.

I'm just saying! Many of us feel cassia blends create more natural reds.

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I thought people would be interested to know that I'm considering doing a much weaker henindigo gloss this week. It probably won't work - but in the interests of economy and speed of rinse-out for myself, I'm looking at a mix containing one heaped teaspoon henna to about three of indigo for a mid-dark brown. Yep, I said teaspoons! Should be interesting anyway. I'm looking at 'less is more' here, or just wondering if it's neccessary to plaster our hair in really thick goop to achieve satisfactory results.

My problem is the greys - so the mix may not be potent enough. We'll see. What do you all think?

Celebrian,

A gloss usually is 2-3 tablespoon of henna in a cup of conditioner so your ration of 1 teaspoon to about three teaspoons, is a basic gloss.

Gloss is usaully for in between henna, or very little colour.

What if you use much more henna/indigo in the conditioner? I think that may be better for the greys.

Another concern. How will you mix the indigo and henna.

I would assume you would need to wait for henna dye release first before adding the indigo. Once indigo is added you will apply to hair.

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I just wanna specify that I have quite dark hair and I still notice a hue difference between straight henna and henna/cassia mixes. My husband notices, too. When I've left the henna on too long or not mixed in enough cassia, he tells me "your hair is purple".

Don't forget that the flaming does cause your hair to look lighter in value most of the time, so the hue will still show up even if you mix cassia into henna for black hair.

I'm just saying! Many of us feel cassia blends create more natural reds.

Thanks Girltron.

I had not heard that before. I think I will try that then to see what it gives me.

What about my greys?

n3m3sis42
March 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
n3m3sis42:

I honestly think you could just try dye release with tea or water.. all I use in my henna is water and cornstarch to thicken the mix.. a) it stretches the amount of henna needed and B) it helps me avoid dripping even when the mix is a bit thin!

Thanks for the advice! Do you need to let the henna stand longer to achieve dye release without an lemon juice or something else acidic?

Shell
March 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I
Here's to lots of time in the bathroom with gloves and mixing bowls with hubby saying - 'what on earth are you putting on your hair NOW?!?!'

My husband doesn't even ask anymore.

quidscribis
March 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Mine still does. He hasn't learned yet. :D

Speaking of dye release and henna, has anyone else *ever* had near instantaneous dye release? I mixed up my henna this morning with about a tablespoon of vinegar and the rest hot water. Got a bit on my hand, wiped it off a half minute later, and yep, it's left an orange stain.

I've gotten fairly quick dye release before, like two or three hours after mixing it up, probably due to a combination of room temperature here (30-35C during the day) and me leaving it on top of a hot pot to speed up the dye release (I'm impatient). But a minute after mixing?

I was thinking of applying the henna in four hours, but now I'm wondering if I should do it sooner. Like, in 30 minutes maybe.

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Speaking of dye release and henna, has anyone else *ever* had near instantaneous dye release? I mixed up my henna this morning with about a tablespoon of vinegar and the rest hot water. Got a bit on my hand, wiped it off a half minute later, and yep, it's left an orange stain.

I've gotten fairly quick dye release before, like two or three hours after mixing it up, probably due to a combination of room temperature here (30-35C during the day) and me leaving it on top of a hot pot to speed up the dye release (I'm impatient). But a minute after mixing?

I was thinking of applying the henna in four hours, but now I'm wondering if I should do it sooner. Like, in 30 minutes maybe.

Yes I have gotten what seemed like instant dye release.

I was using Yemen 2007.

The only liquid was 1bag sleepytime tea and 1bag chamomile tea in 1 cup filtered water. The water was 96F. I barely poured some water and started mixing and I saw orange that was not the tea colour. I used a tissue and it stained orange. I thought I had ruined my mix. It did a great job on my hair.

I used Jamila at 90F, I did not get instant release, I added 100F water, it did not instantly release. I got worried so I added a bit of vinegar and a Vitamin C pill. I kept stirring and waited a while. I guess it just needed longer to release.

Elfling
March 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I get dye release within just a few minutes using warm chamomile tea. I don't bother prepping my henna the night before now.

quidscribis
March 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Thanks for letting me know it wasn't me hallucinating or just me. :D

I checked the henna twenty minutes later - you know, maybe I was imagining that orange smudge on my hand? But no, full dye release with zero hesitation. So I plopped it on right then. Left it in for only 2 1/2 hours, and still got the same old same old bright orange on my white roots that I normally get with leaving it in for four hours after letting it sit, waiting for dye release for however many hours it's been in the past.

I combined henna from two different packets. One was obtained locally but is from India. The other was obtained via Dubai, but I think it was also from India, although I'm really not sure. I have no idea what crops these are, or even what year, but I'm thinking they must be mighty fresh. :)

khyricat
March 26th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I've seen dye release quickly, but the room I mix in is on the cold side in the winter, and I don't get hot water without running it awhile first, so I mix it the night before to take it upstairs.. most henna days are also the morning after DH slept in the basement (long story there) and going down to the kitchen would mean waking him.. since part of the reason is he gets to sleep till at least 10 but I am up before 8 on weekends..

Girltron
March 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
MeMyselfandI,

I have no problem with cassia/henna blends sticking on grey hair. There's probably more fade at first, but after a few full-head treatments you'll be fine for just doing roots. By the second root application, the color will stick. In other words, the hair closest to your scalp might be lighter than the hair about an inch from your scalp. But not really noticably.

Also, my greys are always lighter in VALUE than the rest, because the indigo doesn't stay worth a poo on grey hair. That's fine with me, it gives me dark hair with Irish red strands all through.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
quidscribis http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=33805#post33805)- I mix mine up with warm to hot chamomile tea and it darkens with dye almost instantly. Then I punk it on a metal tray on my food dehydrator and let it sit for four hours, then apply to my hair. Lets me henna all in one shot on a weekend :)

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM
quidscribis http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=33805#post33805)- I mix mine up with warm to hot chamomile tea and it darkens with dye almost instantly. Then I punk it on a metal tray on my food dehydrator and let it sit for four hours, then apply to my hair. Lets me henna all in one shot on a weekend :)

Nightshade,

Why do you wait for 4 hours after you have seen dye release?

It this henna mixed with cassia and you are waiting for dye release of the cassia?

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Nightshade,

Why do you wait for 4 hours after you have seen dye release?

It this henna mixed with cassia and you are waiting for dye release of the cassia?

Because although there is some dye release right away, I don't think the volume of dye is as high as it will be. The first evidence of dye just means (in my experience at least) that there's some dye release, but the longer it sits, the more dye you get. As I'm cutting my henna with cassia, I want to make sure that I get enough of the golden cassia dye and the red henna dye to stain.

When I've done mohair strand tests to try to see what happened when I added very hot water to henna, I put one lock in right away for two hours, then took it out and added in a second lock for another two hours. The second lock, although it had soaked the same amount of time, showed a greater amount of dye uptake than the one that had been in the mud during the initial stages of dye release :)

MeMyselfandI
March 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks Nightshade.

I had not thought of that.

I wonder if that had to do with the Jamila not having stay power in my hair. I used it as soon as it started having dye release and left in on not as long as the Yeman either. With the Yeman all the paste looked orangey brown.

Question:

How do you prepare your henna?

I always read to use a glass bowl. I have a hard time dissolving the henna powder in a bowl or measuring cup. I end up putting it in a freezer bag to squish out the lumps.

What am I doing wrong.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Nightshade.

I had not thought of that.

I wonder if that had to do with the Jamila not having stay power in my hair. I used it as soon as it started having dye release and left in on not as long as the Yeman either. With the Yeman all the paste looked orangey brown.

Question:

How do you prepare your henna?

I always read to use a glass bowl. I have a hard time dissolving the henna powder in a bowl or measuring cup. I end up putting it in a freezer bag to squish out the lumps.

What am I doing wrong.

That's the thing with henna, there are a lot of variables to try to control, so you're not doing anything WRONG, per se, just differently, which is producing different results.

To start, I always use a base of distilled water, mostly because my tap water sucks, is very hard and has a PH of 8.4+ (that's as high as my testing strips go).

I heat up about 2-3c of distilled water in the microwave (3min in a glass container) and then add a 4 TB of powdered Roman Chamomile flowers to it, cover it, and let it steep.

While the tea is steeping I add 50&#37; cassia and 50% henna to my bowl, which is ceramic. (I want a bright copper color, hence the cassia, it isn't needed if you want more of a true red). Then I get out the hand mixer and snap on a whisk attachment.

By this point the tea is hot, but not scalding, so I strain it into another container to get out the bits of chamomile goop, people using tea bags don't have to deal with this step.

I add the chamomile tea while it's still hot, usually cooled down just to the point where it isn't steaming anymore. I continue to add chamomile tea and blend with the hand mixer until it's the consistancy of thin pancake batter and is lump-free.

Then I cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it sit while I ready my food dehydrator (you don't need to use a food dehydrator, I just do because it's warm and speeds up dye release. I used to set the bowl atop my computer tower as it was insanely warm as well.) I take the trays off the food dehydrator and set a cookie sheet on top of it, then plug it in. It's a convextion dehydrator, so there's no fan, just hot air, which warms the tray and in turn the bowl.

I check on it once in awhile to stir it, but keep it covered otherwise. After 4 hours I apply it to my hair, and then whatever's left I freeze. If your house isn't very warm, and you don't set the henna somplace warmer than room temp, your dye will release slower. I've also set the bowl out on the porch in the summer in 90 degree heat, and got similar dye release.

You can use this chart as a starting point, but I found that the dye takes much longer to demise than what is given here. and we've also found that acid inhibits henna, so the times on this chart are actually going to take longer than just using warm water or chamomile tea.
http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/timetemp.jpg

If I wasn't clear keep asking questions :flowers:

Girltron
March 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I agree about the dye taking much longer to demise than expected. I often mix up henna to use on my fingernails, then get too lazy to use it. I've left it out for DAYS and it still makes a nice stain when I get around to it.

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Ok. Sittin', stewin', with the 'brew' on my head... very boooooring!

Anyway, I mixed one teaspoon Yemen 2006 with lemon juice and left for couple hours. Mixed four teaspoons Indigo with a little warm water and salt - added to henna. Decided to add about one and a half teaspoons Cassia at the last minute - to steer away from any possible purple tones. Added in cheap no'cone conditioner, mixed and applied to damp hair, roots first and then lengths. Will leave only about 90 minutes, as I am curious to see what this weak gloss does in that shortish space of time.

My guess is that I'll get a fairly dark brown with a lot of subsequent run-off of Indigo over the next few washes. That happens with all my Indigo's anyway - whether full strength or otherwise. I'm mainly interested to see what the initial grey coverage is though...

Back later. :D

LanaMonsoon
March 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hi everyone! I was wondering about my henna application. In between aps, my hair has been looking really brownish. In the sunlight you can see the red but, I'm not too happy with the color it settles into (see avatar). I don't want to do another full head application for fear of it becoming even darker. I've hennaed 3 or 4 times, the last time was the first I've done just strait henna. I have a ton of cassia and I still have some frozen henna. Do you think I should go back to a cassia/henna mixture to make it brighter? I was wondering about a strait cassia application as well, would that make it any darker? I was initially shooting for a Kate Winslet (in Titanic) red but would be okay with something darker. I just don't want it brown. Any thoughts?

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I would like to know if any one else uses these brands of henna, i found them in a local store and i don't trust whether they are safe (no PPD)
Some boxes admitted to haveing less then 2&#37; PPD, but i wanted PPD free so i did not write those brands down.

http://www.amirhenna.com/packaging.html - on the site states there is no PPD, can they lie about it? It does state to have "chemicals" (http://www.amirhenna.com/products.html) i have emails them which. I also said is their yellow product cassia and their black product indigo.

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/ingredient.htm - mentions Zarqa henna which stated on the box to have only 100% indigo leaves- but again i'm not sure to trust it. There has been some FDA questioning with it here (http://www.hennapage.com/henna/forum/messages/82889.html). Here (http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.htm) it says there is no PPD. I'm 90% sure it is (http://www.mehndiskinart.com/images/black_henna2_small.jpg)safe from what i've read.

this is all i found of the AFSHAN (http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.htm) brand. And that a previous LHC member on the archives used it too. She didn't mention anything bad.

The Pulver (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:AJS9Kev92Y0J:ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_034.pdf+Pulver+henna&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au&client=firefox-a) brand had this test on the net, it seems to contain metals- i think!

If anyone uses any of these or know which one is safe, please let me know :)

quidscribis
March 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM
http://www.amirhenna.com/packaging.html - on the site states there is no PPD, can they lie about it? It does state to have "chemicals" (http://www.amirhenna.com/products.html) i have emails them which. I also said is their yellow product cassia and their black product indigo.

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/ingredient.htm - mentions Zarqa henna which stated on the box to have only 100&#37; indigo leaves- but again i'm not sure to trust it. There has been some FDA questioning with it here (http://www.hennapage.com/henna/forum/messages/82889.html). Here (http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.htm) it says there is no PPD. I'm 90% sure it is (http://www.mehndiskinart.com/images/black_henna2_small.jpg)safe from what i've read.

this is all i found of the AFSHAN (http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.htm) brand. And that a previous LHC member on the archives used it too. She didn't mention anything bad.

The Pulver (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:AJS9Kev92Y0J:ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_034.pdf+Pulver+henna&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au&client=firefox-a) brand had this test on the net, it seems to contain metals- i think!

If anyone uses any of these or know which one is safe, please let me know :)I don't know any of these brands myself, so my comments are not brand specific by any means.

Can they lie about the ingredients? Absolutely! Legally and everything!

In this part of the world, many countries (one of which is Sri Lanka) have no labelling laws of any kind. Not for food, and definitely not for cosmetic items. There are no regulations stating what can or cannot be found in many things, including cosmetics, or if there are such regulations, they're easily "overlooked" with a bribe. In this part of the world, corruption is rampant, as is bribery, extortion, and so on.

I found my own box of henna at the grocery store, which said on the packing 100% henna! No additives! But on their website, it admitted to a small amount of "harmless chemicals". Well, harmless is a matter open for argument as far as I'm concerned, but it showed me that even that very large company cannot be trusted.

This is one of the most important reasons to buy BAQ - body art quality - henna only. It's the only henna that can be trusted to not have PPD or metallic salts added, although even BAQ henna here can contain herbs that are beneficial for hair.

ETA: When I say no labelling laws, I really do mean none. They don't have to show any kind of an ingredient list at all, they can lie about what is or is not in the item, they don't have to have English, they can have different ingredient lists in several different languages. Seriously, no laws at all.

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 05:25 AM
that's what i was afraid to here!
Yes i know they don't put instructions or ANYTHING, one brand had 2 words on it "black henna" THAT'S IT! - wow...helpful....NOT! haha

Well then i know i will stick to the Jamilla. There are sort of hints to test if it is indigo or not though. Same with henna.

MeMyselfandI
March 27th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Nightshade,

Thank you for all the information about how you prepare your henna and cassia mix.

If I had seen the post yesterday, I would not have been in a panic, about my cassia dye releasing.

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Nightshade,

Thank you for all the information about how you prepare your henna and cassia mix.

If I had seen the post yesterday, I would not have been in a panic, about my cassia dye releasing.

Anytime :flowers:

Paniscus
March 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I was going to start a new thread, but then thought I could just post my question here. It's kind of a silly question, but I'm curious enough to ask. :D

I've been doing henna/cassia glossings for about 6 months now. Once in a blue moon, my *gloss* will be more along the lines of an actual henna application (aka, lots less conditioner). I usually do this around my temples where I have the most grey and want more henna/cassia concentration.

Anyhoo- I do a mermaid rinse initially to attempt and get most of the mud out. My bath water turns really, really dark. I wondered if the diluted henna/cassia water would still condition my hair as it soaks in the water? Does this make sense? I know it would be really diluted, but. . . ?

What do you guys think?

Also, why doesn't the henna stain our scalps the way it does our hands or foreheads?

Sorry if these have been posted somewhere else. I've looked/googled but never found the answers.

Shell
March 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM

My Jamila henna releases almost immediately. Since I wanted very little color, I applied it after 15 minutes or so--just enough to let it cool and add conditioner (mine was a gloss).

Girltron
March 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM
My Yemeni stains my scalp orange. But it fades within one wash.

Velouria
March 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM

If anyone uses any of these or know which one is safe, please let me know :)[/quote]
*********************************************)**** **
I use Afshan and I love it. It's not *very* finely sifted (like Mehandi's or Jamila, say) but it's much smoother than Rainbow and all those brands, and contains no stems, twigs, sand, chaff, etc. I get it for $1.49 per 100 gms. Here's a link to a microscopic examination of it: http://www.mehandi.com/closeup/Afshan.html

Velouria
March 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
[quote=quidscribis;36121]

This is one of the most important reasons to buy BAQ - body art quality - henna only. It's the only henna that can be trusted to not have PPD or metallic salts added, although even BAQ henna here can contain herbs that are beneficial for hair.
IMO, BAQ as a term to describe henna to be used on hair was invented by the proprieter of Mehandi as a marketing scheme. Yes, I do believe that her henna is high quality and pure. But there are many hennas specifically sold for body art that are not pure (and even contain PPD!!), and henna sold as hair color that is pure, so BAQ is a meaningless distinction, and no one is regulating what is sold as "BAQ". Once the purveyors of questionable henna catch on, I'm sure theirs' will be labeled BAQ.

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
IMO, BAQ as a term to describe henna to be used on hair was invented by the proprieter of Mehandi as a marketing scheme. Yes, I do believe that her henna is high quality and pure. But there are many hennas specifically sold for body art that are not pure (and even contain PPD!!), and henna sold as hair color that is pure, so BAQ is a meaningless distinction, and no one is regulating what is sold as "BAQ". Once the purveyors of questionable henna catch on, I'm sure theirs' will be labeled BAQ.

Oh, I agree 100% I think here it's just evolved into shorthand for "quality henna from a reputable supplier".

I have seen "henna for hair" in health food stores, and it seems to generally have a poor sift compared to the kits they sell for skin.

MeMyselfandI
March 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
In Canada, it is illegal to use PPD for the body.

Health Canada has an advisory on its web site not to use PPD and phone numbers if the public sees any PPD in the pastes used on the skin:

2003-66 August 11, 2003
For immediate release

Health Canada alerts Canadians not to use "black henna" temporary tattoo ink and paste containing PPD

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2003/2003_66_e.html

Other things I have noticed, henna for hair is not as finely shifted. When the new crops come in the older crops of art henna are sold as hair henna by many vendors.

I agree with Nightshade, for people who use it for their hair, BAQ means the same henna that is used for the body. The pure stuff, nothing that is prepackage in various colours. To get the henna go to someone who does body art.

quidscribis
March 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't realize that PPD was sometimes added to henna used for body art. Learn something new every day.

I so wish we had labelling laws in this area.

MeMyselfandI
March 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
The PPD makes black lines on the skin.

In Canada,in the case of henna PPD is not allowed, because it is assumed henna markings are to be left on the skin for more then an hour.

The PPD is allowed if the markings will be removed with in an hour.

Lexie
March 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I can hardly get a stain anywhere but my palms unless I terp, and I know the question has been posed on H4H before. I think Catherine said thinner skin is stained better and usually that's the parts of your body that have the least hair, like the inner arms.

MeMyselfandI
March 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Lexie,

I thought it was the thicker skin stains better. You are right the staining depends on the skin thickness.

tiny_teesha
March 28th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Velouria - so the fact that afshan is on that site means it is safe ??? Or is that stateing the level of siftedness? It states there isn't green dye or grit crunches. Still not too sure on that brand...

I use jamila. The store sells it for only $1.65. But i wanted to check if the others work. I specifically wanted to know the Zorqa black and yellow- I want a local source for cassia and indigo.

Henna Boy UK
March 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
The PPD is allowed if the markings will be removed with in an hour.

That doesnt apply in the EU under the EEC cosmetics directive PPD is not allowed as a cosmetic no matter how long you have it on your skin. I was under the impression that was the rule in most countries. Not allowed as a cosmetic which means you cannot apply PPD to the skin.

Also worth knowing that PPD itself when analysed by the UK government is not recommended on the skin at all and should be rinsed for 15mins under water...

Ive been fighting off PPD henna slingers throughout the uk for years... as the season approaches im getting prepared to phone all the usual officials to see what if anything they will do about it.

:luke:

MeMyselfandI
March 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM
That doesnt apply in the EU under the EEC cosmetics directive PPD is not allowed as a cosmetic no matter how long you have it on your skin. I was under the impression that was the rule in most countries. Not allowed as a cosmetic which means you cannot apply PPD to the skin.

Also worth knowing that PPD itself when analysed by the UK government is not recommended on the skin at all and should be rinsed for 15mins under water...

Ive been fighting off PPD henna slingers throughout the uk for years... as the season approaches im getting prepared to phone all the usual officials to see what if anything they will do about it.

Henna Boy UK,

I wish you the best in bringing down the PPD henna slingers. Keep on fighting. Do you have PPD info and the term Black Henna on your site. I found out our laws from the HennaSooq site. The more you can get the message out the better for everyone.

I was refering to an earlier post about the Canadian Advisory. I clarified my post with in Canada.

The good thing about Canada, is that there are phone numbers to call in most major cities if anyone notices PPD in henna. Like my post states, it still can be used on tatoos that are meant to be taken off in less then an hour.

PPD is still allowed in hair dyes. It is listed in chemical dyes. The problem is the hair henna companies that do not list all ingredients if any.

In Canada buying henna for body art, should mean no PPD in it.

Lexie
March 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Lexie,

I thought it was the thicker skin stains better. You are right the staining depends on the skin thickness.

I just looked it up. You're right. I was pretty sure Catherine had talked about the hairless skin being thin and being stained easier. I guess some part of that was misread by me. She does say the scalp is thin, so I suppose that's why it doesn't stain easily.

Here (http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/skin/stratum/sc4.html) is where she goes into it in her encyclopedia. I was so sure she talked about the inner arm too, but that's not specifically mentioned here. Just lower arms. My lower arms aren't easily dyed though. Only my palms really took a stain from Jamila '06. '07 has been more powerful. It can stain my arms a little, but not much.

Velouria
March 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Velouria - so the fact that afshan is on that site means it is safe ??? Or is that stateing the level of siftedness? It states there isn't green dye or grit crunches. Still not too sure on that brand...

I use jamila. The store sells it for only $1.65. But i wanted to check if the others work. I specifically wanted to know the Zorqa black and yellow- I want a local source for cassia and indigo.

Yes, the Afshan is safe. The link I supplied came from an index of links where CCJ of Mehandi examined various hennas and indigos under a microscope. Any particles that are not henna or indigo are visible in the examination, and she notes them when they're there (though it can't always be said from the close-up *what* they are).

ETA- If you go back to that link, at the bottom there is a link to the whole index. If you go to that, I believe the Zarqa black is on it. Never heard of Zarqa yellow though, but am interested in what you find on it.

Velouria
March 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM

The thing is, in the US henna as body art is actually not approved by the FDA, so it's technically illegal. This isn't enforced really, but it does mean that all henna imported into this country has to be declared as for hair, the only FDA approved use for henna. Therefore, since PPD is approved for hair dyes here, customs is not going to seize henna containing PPD, and about all of the henna being imported is from countries with no labeling laws.

Henna Sooq
March 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I know in Canada, they have requested to make sure that the products come in with labels, which is fine and actually really good! So now it has to say country of origin along with what the contents are.

I am happy that we don't have issues with henna being imported into the country either for hair or body art. But black henna PPD is illegal in Canada to be put on the skin. Thank goodness!

Henna Sooq
March 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
When it comes to the term "body art quality" it is interested how this term is used for marketing really, when it truly really means that it is safe enough to use on the body, it is pure and natural with no additives and etc...and just saying BAQ is easier I suppose but it also leads to some confusing at times. Other herbs are sold as well that are pure and have no additives but we can't call them BAQ as we don't put cassia, amla, indigo for hair on our body...

People/suppliers have sometimes different understandings of what BAQ is because BAQ can be sold as for hair usage like MeMyselfandI has mentionned (great info by the way! I am catching myself up) but then you get different crops and different sifts etc..it can be all over the place.

For one a henna powder can be really finely sifted (5X for example) and the freshest crop available, and then the same crop, the exact same henna, can have a lesser sift maybe 3 times sifted and then be sold as henna for hair while the other henna is sold for body artists, and can be used for hair too if you'd like.

Then you have older henna crops like 2006 for example can be sold as for hair too, but it is very finely sifted like the 5X, but since it's last year's henna more people will buy it up for hair then for body art. The skin is just a bit more fussy then hair can be at times, so therefore why artists buy the latest crop, usually.

So there's always different explanations and it's good to ask for the details, if it was something you wanted to know.

prosperina
March 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Okay, I should know better than this. But....if I were to put Miss Clairol's loving care golden blond (it's low on the yucky stuff, can't see an ammonia) on some shed hair what could I expect? Would it highlight them blond?

Or should I just step away from the chemical hair dye...slowly? I bought it. It's sitting on my couch staring at me. I want blond streaks. The indigo, what teeny tiny bit was there, is on the ends of my hair now. So I've got just henna with bleach and natural color underneath.

tiny_teesha
March 30th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Velouria - i just wanted to know if the site that mentioned it was trustworthy. So Afshan and Zarqa black is safe! What a good thing to hear! YAY!
I must have gotten confused! I think there was an Amir yellow, not Zarqa yellow. I wish that is pure cassia only! That would be delightful!!! :)

Aisha25
April 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM
Henna sooq I was wondering if henna could take away itching of the scalp???

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Henna sooq I was wondering if henna could take away itching of the scalp???

Henna can sooth an itchy scalp, but it can cause it if it isn't rinsed well, or if you have an allergic reaction to the henna or anything else in your mix :flowers:

Aisha25
April 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Thank you nightshade:).

Tapioca
April 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm interested in the conditioning properties of henna, but not the color. (Yes, I know about cassia, but I want something longer-lasting.) The lovely Nightshade gave me a bunch of advice on letting the dye expire and doing a gloss. So now I'm curious and tempted to do a few expiriments with mohair. So, henna experts... What can I do to kill the dye, but still leave the conditioning?

Nightshade
April 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Heh, I wish you luck on this one. Evaluating color-deposit is easy, but how do you intend to evaluate conditioning benefits? More importantly, how long the conditioning benefits last?

If it helps, here's the resutls from my demise experiments- keep in mind that I added boiling water to these and then set them on top of my hot computer tower (I think the temp was like 87 degrees) for three days. The stuff I microwaved I destroyed and dried out, so I never did get test strands with that...

The strands compare the dye and dye demise rates of a 50/50 cassia/henna mix, and straight henna (mostly for color, all the strands seemed to have the same condition). IIRC, each strand test was put in the mix for two hours, then removed and rinsed. After 3 days I was almost out of henna, and that little bit dried out, so that's as far as I got with this one. :o

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaCassiaStrands1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaEsperiments2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaExperiments3.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaExperiment4.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaExperiment5.jpg

Shell
April 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM
I just looked it up. You're right. I was pretty sure Catherine had talked about the hairless skin being thin and being stained easier. I guess some part of that was misread by me. She does say the scalp is thin, so I suppose that's why it doesn't stain easily.

Here (http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/skin/stratum/sc4.html) is where she goes into it in her encyclopedia. I was so sure she talked about the inner arm too, but that's not specifically mentioned here. Just lower arms. My lower arms aren't easily dyed though. Only my palms really took a stain from Jamila '06. '07 has been more powerful. It can stain my arms a little, but not much.

It also has to do with blood circulation.

Shell
April 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm interested in the conditioning properties of henna, but not the color. (Yes, I know about cassia, but I want something longer-lasting.) The lovely Nightshade gave me a bunch of advice on letting the dye expire and doing a gloss. So now I'm curious and tempted to do a few expiriments with mohair. So, henna experts... What can I do to kill the dye, but still leave the conditioning?

You could also do a gloss either before the dye releases, or leave it on for a very short time. I have done two now (to get more even coverage--I was inconsistent the first time--imagine), and my hair only got a little red, which is okay because it's a little red anyway. You could use older henna, or one that takes a long time to release, and maybe just leave it on for 15 minutes? I'm very happy with mine: soft, shiny, and I hope strong.

Lexie
April 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
It also has to do with blood circulation.

Well that's even odder then because I'm anemic and my hands and feet are always cold.

khyricat
April 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
btw- I've had henna start dye release immediately, I can't see a way to use it and get NO color, minimal yes- gloss, maybe even a gloss mixed with cassia, but no color... not that I know of..

Lexie
April 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
My henna releases immediately too. Didn't matter if it was Jamila or other BAQ. Didn't matter if the water was warm or almost ice cold. Although with the latter it took about 10 minutes. But I apply immediately, and without gloves, it takes at least 2 days of constantly washing my hands to get the stain off. It's initially a very intense orange and sometimes even orange-red. One time I decided to try washing my hands no more than usual and it took almost 2 weeks for the stain to be completely gone. I can get henna in within 30 minutes, so that's a lot of staining power for such a short time.

Tapioca
April 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm okay with minimal stain. I have very slight reddish tones naturally. I just don't want such a radical differntiation that I have to touch up roots. I plan on doing a gloss anyways. I have some henna that I mixed with water sitting on top of my monitor. I'm going to give it a few days, skin-patch testing every day, until it's insanely light, then gloss with 50/50 henna and Lyzitus.

Henna Sooq
April 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Nightshade for answering the question for Aisha!

Treecrown
April 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ok. Sittin', stewin', with the 'brew' on my head... very boooooring!

Anyway, I mixed one teaspoon Yemen 2006 with lemon juice and left for couple hours. Mixed four teaspoons Indigo with a little warm water and salt - added to henna. Decided to add about one and a half teaspoons Cassia at the last minute - to steer away from any possible purple tones. Added in cheap no'cone conditioner, mixed and applied to damp hair, roots first and then lengths. Will leave only about 90 minutes, as I am curious to see what this weak gloss does in that shortish space of time.

My guess is that I'll get a fairly dark brown with a lot of subsequent run-off of Indigo over the next few washes. That happens with all my Indigo's anyway - whether full strength or otherwise. I'm mainly interested to see what the initial grey coverage is though...

Back later. :D

How did it come out? (Or did I miss a message in the thread?) I am still on the endless quest for something that will cover my gray without making my (previously light brown) hair any redder than it already is from the henna-cassia-indigo mixes I've applied over the past six months...

Nat242
April 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Hi Henna-Gurus :waving:

I'm having a bad day! I've just stopped by my local Indian grocery store, and they don't have my brand of henna! :(

There's another brand there - I couldn't read the brand name so I can't do a search for it. I think it was from Pakistan - and it said Mehndi on the packet.

What stopped me is that it said "For hair only". Presumably, this means that it contains something other than, or in addition to BAQ henna.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Commiserations? I have one inch of roots!

-- Natalie

Nightshade
April 10th, 2008, 07:16 AM
What stopped me is that it said "For hair only". Presumably, this means that it contains something other than, or in addition to BAQ henna.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Commiserations? I have one inch of roots!

-- Natalie

Honestly, for the stuff in the stores "for hair" may mean it's more likely to have crap in it, but a lot of times it's also not sifted as well and may have bits of leaves and stems in it. If you want to at least test it, try this:

How can you find out if the henna hair dye you've been using has toxic metallic salts?

Harvest some of your hair.
Mix one ounce (30 ml) of 20-volume peroxide and 20 drops of 28% ammonia.
Put your harvested hair in the peroxide-ammonia mix (this is in synthetic hair dye).
If there's lead in the henna you've used, your hair will change color immediately.
If there's silver nitrate in the henna you've been using, there will be no change in hair color, because silver is coating the hair. However, silver nitrate leaves a greenish cast to your hair, so you can tell by that.
If there's copper in the henna you've used, your hair will start to boil, the hair will be hot and smell horrible, and the hair will disintegrate.
With all that crap, frequently unlisted, in some henna products, no wonder henna's gotten a bad rap!

Aisha25
April 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I was wondering is the conditioning properties of henna only after the dye releases? And also does it matter how long you let the henna sit will the dye get darker or does it stay the same?

Sana
April 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
well i think u can condition your hair without the dye release. I sometime apply for 30 mins to 1hr just for conditioning my hair. I try to color once in 3-4 mnths and the conditionioning treatment once or twice a month.

Nightshade
April 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I was wondering is the conditioning properties of henna only after the dye releases? And also does it matter how long you let the henna sit will the dye get darker or does it stay the same?

Yes and no, you get better conditioning with the dye, but some people here do a gloss with very little henna without dye release in conditioner so they get some of the conditioning benefits and little to none of the color.

well i think u can condition your hair without the dye release. I sometime apply for 30 mins to 1hr just for conditioning my hair. I try to color once in 3-4 mnths and the conditionioning treatment once or twice a month.

If your hair is VERY dark odds are that you may not see anything with only 30 minutes, but trust me, you should NEVER use henna without the understanding that it may impart red tones that are pretty much never going to go away. To illustrate, here's some formerly white mohair that was soaked in henna for only 10 minutes.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HennaCassiaStrands1.jpg

Banking on NOT getting color from henna is a dangerous thing that leaves a lot of people unhappy.

Not trying to rant, but misinformation like that can really screw up some people's hair for good.

Aisha25
April 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you nightshade and sana.I did Strand test for one hour and it showed red in light so i think that should be ok with that.Thanks again.:)

Nat242
April 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Honestly, for the stuff in the stores "for hair" may mean it's more likely to have crap in it, but a lot of times it's also not sifted as well and may have bits of leaves and stems in it. If you want to at least test it, try this:

Thanks Nightshade!

I went back to the store today - turns out it's Afshan henna. I think someone on this thread has posted that they've used it.

I've harvested some of my hair (from the carpet :rolleyes:) and am going to test it in the henna to make sure it's okay. I'd like to try that mix you posted, Nightshade, but I checked out the ingredients at the store and I couldn't spare the expense today.

I've got some more searching to do - I'll try to track down some reviews of Afshan. The colour looks right - it's not as fluro green as my old henna, and it's reasonably fine. No leaves or twigs!

Ah, the mysteries of henna!

-- Natalie

Velouria
April 11th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks Nightshade!

I went back to the store today - turns out it's Afshan henna. I think someone on this thread has posted that they've used it.

I've harvested some of my hair (from the carpet :rolleyes:) and am going to test it in the henna to make sure it's okay. I'd like to try that mix you posted, Nightshade, but I checked out the ingredients at the store and I couldn't spare the expense today.

I've got some more searching to do - I'll try to track down some reviews of Afshan. The colour looks right - it's not as fluro green as my old henna, and it's reasonably fine. No leaves or twigs!

Ah, the mysteries of henna!

-- Natalie
I use Afshan; I researched it before I started using it, and even in the realm of body art, people seem to think it's pure. Catherine of the Henna Page looked at it under a microscope and saw nothing but henna.
But my Afshan box does not say "for hair only", it does give instructions for hair and not for body art, but then the woman on the box has hennaed hands. I was assuming the lack of English instructions (it does have Arabic writing as well, but I'm ignorant of the content) for body art was because of US import laws....here all henna imported has to be declared as "hair dye", because henna body art isn't approved by the FDA. Or perhaps Afshan (like Jamila) sells 2 grades of henna, the lesser quality (but still pure) grade being for hair? By the way, it's the hair Jamila that Catherine sells as "BAQ for hair", it isn't really "BAQ" according to the company that makes it, and I doubt that the other hennas for hair that she sells are. Not to say they aren't pure, but this whole thing about "BAQ for hair" is pretty silly if you've researched the body art side of it, where freshness and dye content are of paramount importance in getting a darker, longer lasting stain. Not the case for hair, unless you want to hit that opaque saturated purple ASAP!!

Nat242
April 11th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I use Afshan; I researched it before I started using it, and even in the realm of body art, people seem to think it's pure. Catherine of the Henna Page looked at it under a microscope and saw nothing but henna.
But my Afshan box does not say "for hair only", it does give instructions for hair and not for body art, but then the woman on the box has hennaed hands. I was assuming the lack of English instructions (it does have Arabic writing as well, but I'm ignorant of the content) for body art was because of US import laws....here all henna imported has to be declared as "hair dye", because henna body art isn't approved by the FDA. Or perhaps Afshan (like Jamila) sells 2 grades of henna, the lesser quality (but still pure) grade being for hair? By the way, it's the hair Jamila that Catherine sells as "BAQ for hair", it isn't really "BAQ" according to the company that makes it, and I doubt that the other hennas for hair that she sells are. Not to say they aren't pure, but this whole thing about "BAQ for hair" is pretty silly if you've researched the body art side of it, where freshness and dye content are of paramount importance in getting a darker, longer lasting stain. Not the case for hair, unless you want to hit that opaque saturated purple ASAP!!

Thanks so much for your post! Perhaps it is a lower grade henna - I can't afford quality right now, but as long as it doesn't have any scary additives and metallic salts I'm happy! I'm still waiting for my test henna to dye release, then I can test it with my harvested lock and find out.

-- Natalie

n3m3sis42
April 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
This is sort of a pointless post, but I am sitting here with henna, a shower cap, Saran wrap, and a towel on my head, so what the hey. Yeah, um... that's basically all I've got for you. I'm in mid-henna! And this is henna paste that may have been in the freezer for a bit longer than 6 months, so we'll see how it works out.

On the plus side, I received my massive quantity of super-sale-priced 2006 Yemeni henna from Henna Sooq a couple of weeks ago. All I've ever used up until this point (including today) is Rajasthani. The Yemeni smells so much nicer... I can't wait until I get to try it!

n3m3sis42
April 13th, 2008, 04:09 PM
...So, the henna is now washed out, and I owe a GINORMOUS thank you to the person on this forum who mentioned using a cone-free conditioner to get it all out more easily. This is the third time I've henna'ed, and it was so much easier washing it out than the last two times. :D

MadHatter
April 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Someone (sorry, don't remember who it was) had suggested in another thread to braid your hair when you want to do roots only. I tried that this weekend, and it made the job a LOT easier. I don't think I missed any spots (except the very tip of my widow's peak, but that's probably because I rubbed off the henna when wrapping).
So I wanted to pop in and say, thanks to the person who suggested this, and if you have a hard time with roots, try braiding :D