PDA

View Full Version : My favorite necklace keeps ripping my hair out!

tokidokichi
March 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Occasionaly when I move my head around too much some hair from the back of my head (which is really short, I don't really know how it happens) will get caught in my favorite necklace and pull it out! I wear this necklace everyday, so I'm hoping I don't get a balled spot from it haha. Does this ever happen to any of you?

jivete
March 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've just about given up wearing most necklaces because of this problem.

MissMandyElizab
March 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM
i have been known to wax them or put a tube on them

Carolyn
March 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yes it's happened to me with several necklaces. I simply stopped wearing them unless my hair was up in a bun and I only wear them for a short period of time. I plan on having one made into an ankle bracelet. Sometimes we have to make choices.

HairColoredHair
March 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I've had that happen with necklaces and lanyards. I either replace the chain with a ribbon, wrap the chain/lanyard in ribbon, or stop wearing it. :)

rach
March 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I replaced the chain with leather type string because of just this.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I am remaking some of my necklaces to have no clasp because of this. It just means I have to bead everything and make the join nice and secure! Even my leather laces that have knots instead of clasps grab my hair and tangle it.

Bethie
March 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
If the necklace can't have the chain removed, then I generally don't wear it. I have been known to take the necklace and make it into a bracelet or anklet.

prettydark
March 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've had that happen with necklaces and lanyards. I either replace the chain with a ribbon, wrap the chain/lanyard in ribbon, or stop wearing it. :)

Oh, what a good idea! I have a few necklaces that like to tangle, and I'm going to try this!

I'm never surprised when clasps tangle in my hair, but some of my chains tangle more than others. I believe I do have a few chains that don't tangle at all!

I'm not going to stop wearing necklaces, so I am going to sew ribbon around some of the tangly ones, and I think I will start clasping them down by the pendant instead of at the back.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
How about a lanyard style necklace with the pendant going through a loop? That is what I am going to work on, I think.

Oh, what a good idea! I have a few necklaces that like to tangle, and I'm going to try this!

I'm never surprised when clasps tangle in my hair, but some of my chains tangle more than others. I believe I do have a few chains that don't tangle at all!

I'm not going to stop wearing necklaces, so I am going to sew ribbon around some of the tangly ones, and I think I will start clasping them down by the pendant instead of at the back.

cuddledumplin
March 24th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I find that certain styles of chains or clasps pull my nape hairs worse than others. Lobster claw clasps are the worst, and chains with lots of space between the links tend to catch it worse than denser ones.

InTheCity
March 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
This happens to me with my every day necklace, but it's only a problem right next to the clasp... so I wear the clasp next to the pendant, in front of my neck, rather than behind. It looks silly and some people tell you it's there because they assume its not on purpose, but for me this works!

If your necklace is an all over hazard, I agree with the other comments.

tokidokichi
March 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all of the tips!! ^__^

Juliannaissance
March 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have one particular necklace that I don't know the name of the type, but every time I took it off it pulled off like 10 strands. I only wore that necklace twice.

windinherhair
March 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
A few years ago my FIL bought me a beautiful necklace that I really love, but the chain would always get caught on my hair too!! I fixed that problem by just changing the gold chain with another one that I had, so I've still been able to wear the charm. I don't know if this would be an option for you. If it is the whole necklace that you like, then maybe you could get the clasp changed? I suppose it would depend on where your hair was getting caught.

tokidokichi
March 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM
A few years ago my FIL bought me a beautiful necklace that I really love, but the chain would always get caught on my hair too!! I fixed that problem by just changing the gold chain with another one that I had, so I've still been able to wear the charm. I don't know if this would be an option for you. If it is the whole necklace that you like, then maybe you could get the clasp changed? I suppose it would depend on where your hair was getting caught.

I like the whole necklace it's about 17" long and has thick gold chain links and it closes in the front, it isn't a clasp, its one of those with a bar on one end and a circle on the other and the bar goes through the circle to close it. It has a cute gold heart charm on it ^_^ Soo I can't change the chain because the chain is what makes the necklace! haha

For now i discovered I can curl my hair underneath and it won't get caught that way. I dunno what I'll do when my hair gets longer, but for now, who knows maybe I will be tired of it by then XP

Isilme
March 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I just take my hair down and pull the hair trough. Or just grab the lace/ribbon and give it a little shake and it will fall out from the hair.

bjt
March 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have certain jewelry (earrings as well as necklaces) that I can only wear if my hair is up. I agree with other people here, I have changed the chain on a few necklaces to ones that are more hair friendly. Leather or silk ropes work well for me (you can get this stuff at any beading store)

Anje
March 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
As others have said, replacing the chain with ribbon, leather or leatherish lanyard, or round elastic (I used black) are good choices.

Another option I've heard but not tried is to get a bit of aquarium air line tubing of the correct diameter, cut a short segment, and slide it on the chain. After you've fastened the clasp, slide the tubing over the clasp to keep it from tangling with your hair.

MeganE
June 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM
As others have said, replacing the chain with ribbon, leather or leatherish lanyard, or round elastic (I used black) are good choices.

Another option I've heard but not tried is to get a bit of aquarium air line tubing of the correct diameter, cut a short segment, and slide it on the chain. After you've fastened the clasp, slide the tubing over the clasp to keep it from tangling with your hair.

Reviving this thread to say what a great idea Anje!! I have stopped wearing necklaces altogether because of the awful tangling issues, and I miss them! I'm definitely going to try this. :)

Asequui
June 13th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Anje: yes! I had a really cute wallet/cell phone holder that hung from my shoulder on a chain. The chain was gorgeous but it yanked the blue blazes out of my hair. Got some of the tubing and about an hour and a half later, several different methods tried, and countless creative cuss words, finally got the entire length of chain (it was for a purse so it was very thick) encased in the tubing. Problem solved and it actually looked really cute w/ the silver chain showing through the clear tubing.

Another option for those that can replace the clasps on your necklaces would be to replace them with those really strong magnetic ones. I have one and it wears like a dream. I've never had a problem with it catching my little neck hairs (which are finally growing, yay!).