PDA

View Full Version : Salon Appointment today... how traumatizing!

TXbarbie
March 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have been seeing the same stylist in Dallas for YEARS - like, since back in elementary school.

But I go to school in Austin and I have been having an awful time finding someone who understands even basic hair care here. I mean, isn't Austin supposedly full of hippies? They should understand treating hair with respect, right?

So I went to a place on the main drag for a highlights touch up and OMG.

- shampoo'd hair to the ends. massaged it in, etc. TWICE.
- used very little conditioner. pretty much skipped this step
- used a brush on my WET hair. no detangler. "I'm surprised your hair is so tangly. This is my NICE brush!" Um, maybe use conditioner and a wide toothed comb, lady.
- ripped through tangles with a round brush as she blow dried my hair
- told me that I needed a cut, more layers, and that since my hair was so fine that I should look into bob 'dos.

The horror. :run:

Ugh it's just so frustrating but I guess I'm just stuck making a 3 hour drive to Dallas for quality hair care. Unless anyone here is in the area and knows of salons in Austin that are long-hair-friendly?

lora410
March 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Wow, at times I wonder where these people went to cosmatology school that they were taught so bad.

HairColoredHair
March 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM
EEK. I'd have just asked to leave without them brushing my hair, the double shampoo was bad enough, thanks.

Criminy. This is why I don't go to stylists unless it's just a trim (and mind, I haven't been to one in... five years?)

ETA: Our list of Long-Hair Friendly Salons has one in Austin:
Clip Joint Natural Hair Salon (non-GM)
South Austin, TX 78745
Clip Joint

satindesire
March 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I have no idea why it's so hard to find a long-hair friendly stylist. It took four years for me to find one here in Muskogee. Now that I have her, I'm not letting her go for ANYTHING!

If I see or hear anything about long-hair friendly stylists in the Austin area, I'll be sure to speak up.

tokidokichi
March 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Eeeeep! That sounds horrible.. Maybe do a search for salon's in your area and see if any of them have a website with testimonials or reviews? That could be helpful :)

satindesire
March 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I did a little site digging. There's a list of long-hair friendly salons on THIS very site! Yay!

South Austin, TX 78745
Clip Joint (http://clipjoint.citysearch.com/)

WaitingSoLong
March 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Is there a list of long-hair friendly salons for Indiana? I have NEVER been to a stylist that does not brush my wet hair and then complain about it being tangly. NEVER. I actually take my own pik/comb now and comb my own wet hair for them. I just REFUSE to let them do it. More than once I considered cosmetology/hairstyling school but ran away because I do not have a respect for the trade. Too many horror stories, pressuring people into hair colors/styles then criticizing them for their products/coloring. I thought not yanking on wet hair was pretty common hair etiquette?

My conclusion is that long haired clients are so uncommon they think they require nothing different than shorter haired clients. I chalk it up to lack of expeience with long hairs.

I will add that I do not (can not) pay for expensive salons. I do not go to the cheapest places, but I do keep it under $20. I am a generous tipper for one who treats my hair (and me) with respect.

After my last horrible experience and having to have it fixed and losing a full 4" for a one inch trim, I have sworn off any trimming at all. I think I will go with fairytale ends before I trim again even tho I am an even hemline type of gal (see my avatar).

May I ask the OP why they shampooed your hair twice? Twice? I just do not understand.

I would love to hear GOOD stories about salons. I know we tend to vocalize the negative ones but in all my hair cut experiences, I can barely mention ONE with which I was pleased. Just me?

TX barbie, did you have a good experience in Dallas at least? May I ask how much you paid for this haircut? I understand if you do not want to post that.

TXbarbie
March 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I did a little site digging. There's a list of long-hair friendly salons on THIS very site! Yay!

South Austin, TX 78745
Clip Joint (http://clipjoint.citysearch.com/)

Thanks!

Hmm I doubt they do highlights... but it may be worth checking out :)

satindesire
March 24th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I would love to hear GOOD stories about salons. I know we tend to vocalize the negative ones but in all my hair cut experiences, I can barely mention ONE with which I was pleased. Just me?

TX barbie, did you have a good experience in Dallas at least? May I ask how much you paid for this haircut? I understand if you do not want to post that.

My stylist Ashley was a complete accidental find. I went in to get a trim with my mother at Hair Envy(A trim, nothing fancy!). She took my hair out of it's bun, and you should have seen her face! She played with it, examined it for probably about five whole minutes, asking me a bunch of questions about what I did at home to take care of it (Which that got her extra brownie points, let me tell you) Anyway, she said that she had quite a few long-haired clients in town and had become the sort of 'long hair stylist' of the city. I was like "REALLY?!" Imagine my surprise.

Well, she was awesome. Did exactly what I asked her to do, was super gentle, used some really high quality products to condition and detangle before combing. It was great. When I left, my hair literally looked like a million bucks. Not to mention the fact that Ashley is super pretty and extremely sweet, so I love her.

I've been back to see her every time. She always does such an amazing job. She always says "Oh, you have Heidi Klum hair!" And I think that's awesome.

satindesire
March 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks!

Hmm I doubt they do highlights... but it may be worth checking out :)

Hey! I just got an idea! You know, you could always go and do a little digging locally? Call up a few salons that look nice, ask them if they have anyone on staff who has a lot of long-haired clients, or any 'long hair experts'? You can go in for a consultation before you book an appointment and ask them a bunch of questions, maybe even ask if they have a client you can talk to for a testimonial?

TXbarbie
March 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM

My stylist in Dallas is WONDERFUL! She knows that I originally began growing my hair out long for my mother, because she loved treating me like a Barbie doll and wanted me to have long, Barbie hair. So she never tries to talk me into a bob 'do.

She has 2 different combs that she uses. I think the few times that she used brushes were for styling after my hair had been blow dried.

She also is VERY critical of my hair - in a good way! Like when I was younger and had just started using facial cleansers, she told me that I had a small amount of flaking scalp surrounding my face... probably from scrubbing my face like a madman and getting soap into parts of my baby hairs. And once after a year of straightening, she told me that she absolutely had to cut off the last 6 inches of my hair because they were so fried.

haha originally I never forgave her for such a huge chop - but in retrospect she was totally right. The pictures from the month before that cut were awful and my hair looked terrible.

And she's very realistic. One time when I was leaving and tried to make another appointment for 4 weeks later, she goes "Honey you'll fry your hair. Come back in 6 weeks." "But MJ, I'll be in Austin by then." "Fall break is in 8 weeks I'll see you then."

The cut isn't absolutely expensive for Dallas... it's about $215 plus tip.

Today I paid $55 plus tip. And at this point if I can't find a regularly priced salon that can take good care of my hair, I guess I don't mind paying extra for all of the tips and goodies that my Dallas stylist gives me.

TXbarbie
March 24th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hey! I just got an idea! You know, you could always go and do a little digging locally? Call up a few salons that look nice, ask them if they have anyone on staff who has a lot of long-haired clients, or any 'long hair experts'? You can go in for a consultation before you book an appointment and ask them a bunch of questions, maybe even ask if they have a client you can talk to for a testimonial?
I never thought of asking salons if they work with a lot of long haired clients... I'll certainly do that next time.

xoxophelia
March 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Well what they do to your hair is really up to you. I would suggest (even though you might feel weird at first), at least skipping the blow out. It isn't manditory. You can just say you will wait to style your hair or that you prefer to air dry. Enough said. You can also say you freshly washed your hair and what they can do is wet it with a spray bottle etc.

Carolyn
March 24th, 2010, 02:11 PM
A few years ago I went through a whole bunch of stylists for various reasons. I found I had to insist on one shampooing and I learned to ask them to use a lot of conditioner. For some reason they like to over shampoo and under condition. Maybe it's their beauty school training. I've also had to insist they not use a ball tipped brush to detangle my hair.

I've had probably as many good experiences as bad ones. It's just that the bad ones stick in your mind.

paperwhite
March 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Me! I finally found a good one! This past weekend I had a 1/2 inch trim done by Kim at Joli Salon and Spa (Albany, NY). I went in with a full head of oil, all bunned up (hadn't planned on having it trimmed that day), and she was totally understanding. She washed it twice, but gently (the oil did have to come out before she cut it), and conditioned it well. After that, she detangled with a wide toothed comb and proceeded to trim *GASP* only what I had asked for! :D She did blow dry it, but again, really gently (and I didn't really mind since I've basically cut it out of my routine so once in a while isn't a big deal). She didn't use a single brush and even while she was drying it, only used her fingers to keep my hair from tangling.

All that gentle care for just $30! Since I won't be back for at least another three to four months, I think that's pretty reasonable. And she was super friendly and listened to me when I was speaking. I didn't get the typical vacant stare while telling the hair dresser what I'm there for. I made sure to get a business card with her days and hours on it so I can schedule to see her again instead of taking a chance with whoever they assign to me.

dropinthebucket
March 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM
What an awful experience! That's just terrible. :disgust::cheer:

I had to stop going to stylists because they kept ripping my baby fine hair - it hurt!! Last stylist i ever went to overbleached my highlights and i had chunks of hair break off. She was busy talking to someone on the phone and didn't come back when the timer went off. That was when i vowed never again, and didn't go back.

For the last two years, my friend and I cut each other's hair - nothing fancy, just a quick trim from some online "trim your own hair" tutorials, and I do my own bangs whenever they need it. We thought it would be fun to put the equivalent of what we spent at the stylist in a money box every month, and when I switched to all natural, DIY haircare products, I added the money from drugstore products in too. We were *shocked* at what it added up to in one year! Bought myself a new laptop with it! though lately, i'm spending money on Monistat - want to see if it really does encourage growth. :cheer:

dropinthebucket
March 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Oops, extra cheer in there. NOT cheering your horrible experience! but good for you for handling it with so much poise!

prettydark
March 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I think it's really important that we all learn to advocate for ourselves. Everyone should be able to speak up when in a situation that raises concern. This applies to many aspects of our lives including health care, service from businesses, family matters, and yes, visits to conventional salons.

In regards to salon visits, because my long hair requires care significantly different from 'the norm', I would speak with the stylist for at least five minutes outlining how my hair should be washed/conditioned, how it should be detangled afterward, and exactly how much should be trimmed or cut. And also what the ramifications would be if these care notes were ignored. If I got any sense that this person did not explicitly understand my concerns, I would walk out and find another salon, and try another stylist, until I found one who I thought 'got it'.

TXbarbie
March 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM
For the last two years, my friend and I cut each other's hair - nothing fancy, just a quick trim from some online "trim your own hair" tutorials, and I do my own bangs whenever they need it. We thought it would be fun to put the equivalent of what we spent at the stylist in a money box every month, and when I switched to all natural, DIY haircare products, I added the money from drugstore products in too. We were *shocked* at what it added up to in one year! Bought myself a new laptop with it! though lately, i'm spending money on Monistat - want to see if it really does encourage growth. :cheer:

haha I like the idea of seeing how much one could save in a year! I can't give up going to the salon for highlights but I HAVE given up the salon products and it's definitely making a noticeable difference in my budget!

kwaniesiam
March 24th, 2010, 06:00 PM
It depends on the person, not the training. We're all taught the same general thing, just some people are more gentle and understanding than others. Examine their own hair, while its not always an indicator, how they wear and style their own hair can hint to you something about how they will treat others.

Also, it would be impossible to get a hair cut without combing through wet hair. Most trims in salons are done on wet hair, especially if you have it shampooed first. You can request you just get your hair sprayed down wet but that is more common in budget chain salons. As far as over shampooing, most people who frequent salons have a LOT of product in their hair that requires a good thorough wash to remove. Before getting a cut, just tell the stylist you only need one shampoo and request a bit extra conditioner. The conditioner salons use is expensive, especially when they go through so much so they're taught to only use one or two pumps per head no matter how long or thick the hair is. I think that is ridiculous though, longer hair requires more product to wash.

Princess Kitti
March 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Is there a list of long-hair friendly salons for Indiana? I have NEVER been to a stylist that does not brush my wet hair and then complain about it being tangly. NEVER. I actually take my own pik/comb now and comb my own wet hair for them. I just REFUSE to let them do it. More than once I considered cosmetology/hairstyling school but ran away because I do not have a respect for the trade. Too many horror stories, pressuring people into hair colors/styles then criticizing them for their products/coloring. I thought not yanking on wet hair was pretty common hair etiquette?

My conclusion is that long haired clients are so uncommon they think they require nothing different than shorter haired clients. I chalk it up to lack of expeience with long hairs.

I will add that I do not (can not) pay for expensive salons. I do not go to the cheapest places, but I do keep it under $20. I am a generous tipper for one who treats my hair (and me) with respect.

After my last horrible experience and having to have it fixed and losing a full 4" for a one inch trim, I have sworn off any trimming at all. I think I will go with fairytale ends before I trim again even tho I am an even hemline type of gal (see my avatar).

May I ask the OP why they shampooed your hair twice? Twice? I just do not understand.

I have a good salon story! About 18 months ago I started loosing alot of hair due to illness, lost about 1/2. I considered cutting it short to make it less obvious, but my hairdresser, who knew I was growing it long, encouraged me to keep growing. She blended my layers and worked very hard to make the loss look less obvious, and when she went on maternity leave she handed me over to her sister who works in the same salon and who also worked hard to help my hair. These ladies could have encouraged me to chop, but instead understood that I did not want to loose more hair and gave me tons of support and encouragement. And now, thanks to them, my hair has grown back and looks better than ever!:D

Debra83
March 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have a good salon story! About 18 months ago I started loosing alot of hair due to illness, lost about 1/2. I considered cutting it short to make it less obvious, but my hairdresser, who knew I was growing it long, encouraged me to keep growing. She blended my layers and worked very hard to make the loss look less obvious, and when she went on maternity leave she handed me over to her sister who works in the same salon and who also worked hard to help my hair. These ladies could have encouraged me to chop, but instead understood that I did not want to loose more hair and gave me tons of support and encouragement. And now, thanks to them, my hair has grown back and looks better than ever!:D

Nice to hear a nice story!:cheese:

atlantaz3
March 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I have to give my hair dresser a good word. Plum Salon in Atlanta. She cut my dh's hair as a trainer in the expensive salon I was going to. When they got over priced he talked my into going to his hair dresser! Then I found out about half her client list was from the old salon - folks just like me who would not pay the last price hike. (Ask about prices first! Learned that lesson when after a hair cut I got a shock at how much the salon had raised their prices.)
Anyway she listens, knows I measures my hair before and after trims. Last time I even took in my own organic shampoo and conditioner -they use Aveda and it just smells too strong for me. I do need to work her out of the metal brush - but my trims are three times a year now .... This last trip she gave me a sample of Moroccan Oil which I LOVE! I went this last week end and bought a bottle. Oils are going mainline salon.

SHELIAANN1969
March 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
This is a perfect example of when we should be vocal and speak up. If the hairdresser is double shampooing, ask why she needs to do it twice, or go in with clean hair and no product.

If they are using a brush, say NO! I brought my own comb, or explain that you don't use combs.

If they suggest layers, bobs, mohawks or skunk stripes and that isn't what you want , just say so.

Be vigilant, attentive and vocal during the whole visit. Hairdressers aren't mind readers, we have to let them know what we want or don't want and need to steer them in the direction that we have in mind and be willing to leave the chair if they won't comply to our wishes. No communication, miscommunication or just plain not speaking up oftentimes ends in disaster.

ETA

I keep wondering why people don't speak up and tell these people to stop what they are doing? I have had hairdressers try to talk me into strange haircuts or styles that I was uninterested in and I just said NO, that is not what I want or like. I actually told one lady that I wouldn't go to a dogfight with the style she was trying to impose on me.

I have stopped folks from washing/blowdrying/curling/ etc.

One time a hairdresser said *oh, I will just blowdry this one part real fast* literally it was my bangs and I let her do it for about a minute or so. When the bill came, she tried to tack on an extra $10 bucks. I said, *hey, the haircut was supposed to be x amount, what is this*? She said , *we charge for blowdrying* I got the manager, explained that I said NO to washing and blowdrying but the hairdresser said she wanted to quickly dry my bangs and then tried tack on a huge fee. The manager took it off the bill and I never returned, I hate being tricked or roped into paying for services that I did not want in the first place. I was pretty disgusted.

We need to speak up, this is our hair, we can't let people have their way with it without our permission. Most people are very good about doing as asked in a salon, but we need to learn how to give direction and learn when to say things like NO and STOP.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2010, 09:21 PM
This.

I go in with freshly shampooed hair, all ready to go. I tell the stylists "No thanks" when they offer to put product in at the end, or blow dry my hair. They don't miss a beat.

This is a perfect example of when we should be vocal and speak up. If the hairdresser is double shampooing, ask why she needs to do it twice, or go in with clean hair and no product.

If they are using a brush, say NO! I brought my own comb, or explain that you don't use combs.

If they suggest layers, bobs, mohawks or skunk stripes and that isn't what you want , just say so.

Be vigilant, attentive and vocal during the whole visit. Hairdressers aren't mind readers, we have to let them know what we want or don't want and need to steer them in the direction that we have in mind and be willing to leave the chair if they won't comply to our wishes. No communication, miscommunication or just plain not speaking up oftentimes ends in disaster.

joiekimochi
March 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM
The stylist I usually went to was pretty awesome...he owns around 6 salons and he works in a different one each day of the week. Although he's the director and the salon promotions don't apply to him (e.g. you can get discounts if you choose stylists other than him), I always go to him because if he likes you (and he does like me! :P) he gives you massive discounts and put products in my hair for free! He did do the customary "oh since your hair is so long and black and straight, why don't you try a perm?" when I first went to him but I explained that as an artist's model I have to keep my hair as simple and versatile as possible and he never suggested weird things ever again. He'd usually knock off about $50 from my total bill and would rub some serum or gloss into my hair for free. Plus he always assigns the cutest shampoo boy to me!

Pity since I revised my hair-washing techniques and switched to all-natural products, I don't have to go back to him for a trim or a protein/moisture treatment any more.

CrisDee
March 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM
After a traumatic experience like that, I think I'd stick to Feye's self trimming method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). That way, you have total control over any product used and how much you take off, and a "dusting" doesn't turn into a 6" loss :(

beez1717
March 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Um, what is a bob do??? I'm confused!!!

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
txbarbie -- have you thought about ditching the idea of highlights and embracing your hair's natural hues?? cutting out these habits will save your hair a lot of hassle in the future.

Isilme
March 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Usually you don't find grat stylists, you teach them! :D I have had the same stylist since I was a kid and I just tell her about all my weird experiments and bring my own combs, come in with clean hair and tells her no brushes and just such and such much off. She is really nice and she does all I tell her, if she is a little bit rough I just ask if she could be a bit more gentle:)
She has been with me and my hair during all my hair phases, from when I didn't care about my hair, trough when I wanted APL heavily layered hair to now.

GRU
March 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Wow... I'm just amazed at how many people ALLOW people to abuse their hair! Maybe it's the redheaded control freak in me, but I'm as vocal about my haircare as I am about my medical care. (newsflash: doctors do NOT walk on water, and neither do hairdressers!)

Also, the thought of spending a couple hundred bucks on a haircut is enough to put me into seizures. I realize that I live in the Midwest, but geezowie, what the heck do the big city hairdressers do that warrants spending $200 or more? For that kind of money, that "cute shampoo boy" better be accompanying me into the back room for an hour or more!!! Heck, y'all could get airfare to a normal town and back for a haircut and STILL be saving money!!!

dropinthebucket
March 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
GRU, sounds like Don't Mess With the Zohan! (the movie had its issues, but the hairdressing part .... was kinda funny!)