PDA

View Full Version : the best routine for fine hair

lesbia
March 24th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I think that every type of hair has a different routin, but can we find the best routine for these different type?
Who want to search it with me?

:cheese:

Phalaenopsis
March 24th, 2010, 07:42 AM
It depends. :) I have fine hair, but a whole bunch of it. So that would be another different routine, I think? I like the idea though. I'd love to find out what would help my fragile, fine hairs.

melusine
March 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm fairly new to haircare so I don't have anything to suggest at the moment but I'd definitely watch any discussion about this with interest, I really need to figure out a way to stop breakage on my fine hairs.

Gumball
March 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think there's a "best routine" for each specific hair type. Even if the type is the same, the daily experience of that particular head of hair will likely differ a lot between people, examples being someone with my exact hair type in a constantly humid, warm area versus someone in a very dry, utterly cold climate. There's also the fact of genetics, where one might also have scalp troubles another doesn't encounter, and it's not product related. :shrug:

I would go as far as saying there are definite things that may help, but those aren't surefire bets. Maybe it's best to go off of suggestions, and that's where the threads for particular types have been useful. What works for one might not always work for their hair twin, but it can surely be worth a shot. :)

lesbia
March 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think that every fine hair have to deal with brekage, so we can start to analize how limit it. For example
- henna/cassia
- lemon
- oils (even if can weight down fine hair)

and also fragile hair have to be mosturized, for example with:
- CO wash
- leave in on our ends

anyone else want to share with us her/his tricks to take care of fragile hair? :)

missmandy
March 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I do conditioner only. It works really well for me. I tend to have really dry hair, and CO really helps. If that doesn't work for you, maybe try water only or condition-wash-condition? Or by routine do you mean not washing-wise? Then I'd say get some coconut oil and see if your hair likes it. Hope this helped.

lesbia
March 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM
By routine i mean
-how you wash your hair
-how much frequently you wash your hair
-if you use these, which leave in you use

definitely, everything you put on your hair to take care of them! :)

thanks for the answer :);D

Rivanariko
March 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM
The best thing I've found for my fine hair is no brushing unless it has been thoroughly detangled with my fingers first. I don't have a wide-toothed comb, but I doubt that would work either with my hair, as even being as slow and careful as I can with my fingers, I still get breakage. Since I stopped brushing, my breakage has seriously decreased.

I don't normally have a problem with my hair being particularly dry except for the day right after a wash (I wash once a week), but I'm visiting DBF in North Dakota currently, and my hair (day 3 after wash now) is dry as straw. I didn't bring any conditioner with me because I was going to be back home before wash-day came around again. My hair is very sad about this, but I'm trying to make up for it with damp bunning and SUPER gentle handling for the rest of the week. I may have a rather heavy S&D on the horizon when I get home though :(

My hair is also a big fan of cones, which I've heard is a bit of a fine hair trait. I'm not sure though. I just remember how violently it objected when I tried cone-free!

Rhiannon7
March 24th, 2010, 11:36 AM
This is a great Idea, since i am also a fine haired lady. but i think that what works for 1 person might not necesarily work for another, or am i wrong? i've experimented alot in the last year and found some things that others here love, my hair absolutely hates. and so many here have great experiences using the below mentioned.....so i join but cautiosly.

I am a heavy cone user, my hair demands cones or goes insane.

My hair loves certain oils like Jojoba and Almond oil, but hates Coconut.

My hair absolutely does not want anything to do with protein. (tangles and breaks.)

Cannot deal with SO, WO.

CO works great for a few weeks but then hair gets prissy and refuses to work with CO so i end up having to go back to Poo and Condish.

My hair did not like the Caramel Treatment or scalp massages and despises Honey.

What my hair loves are SMT's, Shea Butter, Almond oil, Henna and Cones.

dropinthebucket
March 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Rhiannon 7, i am going to try the shea butter and almond oil! My hair finds coconut way too greasy.

I have super-fine hair (less than 2" pony circumference at nape - learned that last week on a similar thread! learning LOTS here i never knew!), and not too much of it. My biggest problem, besides total lack of volume and having it all just look like it's paper thin, are the troublesome cowlicks at the front. :( Don't wanna heat straighten anymore, but something's gotta be done about 'em! They're horrid-er than the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead! What my thin hair likes, my cowlicks do not and vice versa.

Related note: um, k, this will sound crazy - anyone else here find that Monistat is the BEST root thickener/volumizer they've ever tried? Just started using it, so not sure it's working for growth yet, but dang, it gives me volume at the roots!

farewell_nancy
March 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm in the process of transitioning to WO on my scalp (fingers crossed). It's still to early to say if it will work for me, but it has all but annihilated my flyways which were always the aspect of my hair that annoyed me the most.

I try to do an oil treatment with jojoba oil on my length nights before I CO my length. I CO my length most days since my hair is pretty limp unless it's allowed to air dry.

I let my towel soak up moisture for a while and then let it continue air drying, probably adding a little coney leave in conditioner when it's damp or almost dry. If it looks likes it needs a little more I'll use a drop or two of jojoba.

For days that I want my hair to really kick ass I'll do a heavy jojoba oil treatment the night before and then do an egg wash that morning.

My biggest problem, besides total lack of volume and having it all just look like it's paper thin, are the troublesome cowlicks at the front. :( Don't wanna heat straighten anymore, but something's gotta be done about 'em! They're horrid-er than the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead! What my thin hair likes, my cowlicks do not and vice versa.

I know what you mean I could lay off the heat easy for everything but the cowlicks. I've been playing around with really plastering them to my head when I dry. It seems tame them a bit, not as good as the flat iron but better than nothing.

punkgirl89
March 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I have very fine hair that also lacks volume. I found out after switching to the baking soda/ ACV washing method, that my hair lacked volume because I was actually over-conditioning! (i have oily hair). My hair has never looked better and I don't even have to style it!

Superfine
March 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have been reading & heeding advice from this site for the 3 yrs. since I started growing out a pixie. After frequent trims to get rid of all those layers, I am about to APL & have bangs. I have found that my best routine is diluted poo (sometimes like Sauve, then condish on the ends. Quickly dry the bangs for shape & let the rest air dry. Put up the back when almost dry. If I use a poo with cones I have to clarify after a couple of weeks. Generally I wash it 2x/wk. The great thing about longer hair for me is that I can do a quick scalp & bangs wash & be ready to go fast. I have had no breakage, splits, etc. My everyday tool is a wide tooth "horn" comb I found out about on this site from hairsense.com. I have a 30 yr. old Kent of London bristle brush (still good) but use it very seldom & mostly at the scalp. Because my hair is so fine it seems like it pulls if I run it all the way to the ends. Also, sometimes I put a bit od jojoba on the ends. When I started to grow out the pixie I quit coloring (semi-permanent) & began air drying & concentrating on the condition of my hair. Thanks, LCH. My hair is easy, attractive, & a joy. I have learned so much from all of you beauties!

Bethie
March 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
ooo, lots of good suggestions to try. Note to self, find almond or Jojoba oil

I also have very fine, totally lacking volume unless it is super short and must wash my hair every other day or it looks like I stuck my head in a can of grease.

ohwhataday03
March 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I'm doing the COC right now, but something leaving my ends like straw:mad:. I hope its not the leave-in that I'm using. I going to coc tomorrow and I'm going to skip the leave-in. I need to buy some scissors to S&D.

Jeni
March 24th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hmm, my routine:

-I CWC (with cones and SLS or SLS free shampoo depends on my mood and what is close to me in the shower) daily
-I comb when it's wet (I know!) and put it up in a bun. My hair stays up much better when I put it up wet and the ends stay nicer feeling.
-I don't add any leave in. I tried coconut oil which left my hair flat and yuck (and I used almost nothing) and tried aloe which my hair HATED.
-I cassia (w/fenugreek, honey, EVOO and water) once a month
-I occasionally do an SMT but I leave out the aloe and instead add evoo.

My hair is pretty chill about most things. I doesn't seem to care either way about protein and if it wasn't for my chem dyed ends it wouldn't care about cones either. There are things that don't work great (CO) but my hair doesn't act like its going to strangle me in my sleep.

About the only thing my hair absolutely hates is aloe and a very particular cone with a long name that I don't remember. Its starts with a "c" and does not end in "cone".

countryhopper
March 25th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I'm also fine haired; here's my routine:

Sunday: dilluted baking soda scalp scrub, tea rinse
Thursday: same as above, but trying to make it a WO.

A couple times a week I use a jojoba oil blended with other oils and EO.

I don't use any products, only cornstarch occasionally, to deal with the greasies. :D I've also found that with no poo plus cornstarch my hair feels MUCH thicker than with shampoo everyday!

countryhopper
March 25th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I have very fine hair that also lacks volume. I found out after switching to the baking soda/ ACV washing method, that my hair lacked volume because I was actually over-conditioning! (i have oily hair). My hair has never looked better and I don't even have to style it!

I found vinegar to make my hair limp and oily looking. I use tea as an acidic rinse instead with wonderful results!!

gi2121
March 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM

That is so interesting and shows how different we all are. I too have very oily, fine hair with little volume and the thing that's been working for me is CO. I even find my hair to be less oily with CO than with shampoo, go figure :cool:. So over-conditioning is definitely not an issue for my head of oily fine hair.

dancingrain91
February 13th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I have an oily, fine relatively thick head of hair at bsl length with dry ends from shoulder length down. Here's my routine:
-I wash every other day to every two days. I'm new to stretching washes but I've noticed a fruit and veggie intensive diet while drinking plenty of water has done a great deal for me. I use suave clarifying shampoo and the naturals rosemary and mint conditioner. I pre oil with coconut oil.
- I pre comb my hair (before the oil) to help detangle it in the shower with a wooden wide tooth comb. While shampooing and conditioning my hair I finger comb it and then detangle it after the shower. I find this reduces breakage from me accidently tugging a tangle while putting my hair up.
-I use evoo on damp hair for a leave in and phyto 7 cream on dry hair. My ends are ridiculously dry and this is all that they seem to like without being overly weighed down. Since my hair is frizzy to the point it looks wooly and would probably stick straight out of my head if I let it, some weight is helpful. As for cones, some on my length seems fine but none on my scalp. It gets ultra greasy. My basic condish is cone free.

silverthread
February 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I stopped using harsh chemicals about a year ago. No SLS, no cones. I also stopped using heat about the same time. I haven't colored my hair in years. I'm gentle with my hair, wash it only every 4-6 days, with very diluted, gentle shampoo. I use Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner, just a dab. Brush with a baby BBB, comb very carefully with wood, horn or wide-tooth seamless comb.

UP Lisa
August 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
I gave CO a good try, but went back to shampoo, since CO was leaving my hair with a heavy, oily feel soon after washing.

roboeyes
September 5th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I co-wash, and it is going fabulously! Also, I think it's important to make sure we protect our hair from excessive tangling. For instance, I always braid my hair at night, and keep it protected from tangly situations during the day, because our fine hairs can't handle being brushed or combed out at often, or as roughly. I think it's really individual though, depending on how your scalp tends to be, whether your hair tends to be dry or not, etc.

Hairitic
September 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I've CO (WEN) and can stretch washes 7+ days. I credit this with the ability to get my hair to waist and now to BCL. Prior to WEN, I couldn't get my hair to grow past Mid Back! I then do a final rinse with 1 oz. ACV and a Rooibos, Hibiscus and Green Tea to which I add enough water to fill a 24 oz. water bottle. I use half and store it in the fridge till next week. I use a lightweight detangler spray and gently detangle my hair with "The Wet Brush". I apply Coconut Oil to my length/ends. I then use Toadstool's Leave-in Conditioner and allow my hair to air dry. I wear my hair in a bun most of the time when I'm home and to sleep with a sleep cap and silk pillow case. I do wear it down or in a pony sometimes when I go out. I rarely wear a braid though I can't say why :confused: I get on average 2 small trims a year.

lapushka
September 5th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I agree with Phal, and I also have the same hairtype, for the most part, F and lots of it. My hair is wavy though, and oily, so there's a lot of factors figuring into a routine. The key is finding out what works for you and you can only find that out by experimenting. Take it slow, though, step by step, adding, and eliminating things to and from your routine.

jacqueline101
September 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
My hair likes Monistat every other day along with a leave in conditioner and weekly washing and conditioning. It likes monthly cholesterol and deep condition. Weekly shine spray after washing.

kdaniels8811
September 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
-how you wash your hair - shampoo bar or herbal mix - shihaki, brahmi, amla mix
-how much frequently you wash your hair - ever 5 days or so
-if you use these, which leave in you use - my own leave in conditioner or catnip tea

Other - wear my hair up 90% of the time, comb only, no heat, hendigo. Oh, lots of patience!

Crumpet
September 5th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I wear my hair up almost all the time.

Wide-tooth comb, try to finger-comb damp (not wet) hair.

Wash with -cone free poo and condish.

I use lots of coconut oil (my hair loves it!) but I'm trying to cut down a bit...

I do SMTs once every week or so, depending on how my hair feels.

I ordered a sleep cap and usually use silk pillow cases.

Fingers-crossed this will get me to waist soon!

DendrobiumGirl
September 7th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I wear my hair up almost all the time.

Wide-tooth comb, try to finger-comb damp (not wet) hair.

Wash with -cone free poo and condish.

I use lots of coconut oil (my hair loves it!) but I'm trying to cut down a bit...

I do SMTs once every week or so, depending on how my hair feels.

I ordered a sleep cap and usually use silk pillow cases.

Fingers-crossed this will get me to waist soon!

I definately agree with combing damp not wet hair I find it breaks my hair less than when its dry because my hair really easily tangles. My hair is ultra fine on a windy day its like walking through spiderwebs, I mostly have my hair up due to the spiderweb tangly web of a mess, very time consuming to sort out. Hair up makes handling ultra easy. Unless weather permits.
I am still searching for the right routine for me. though I have satin cap and that makes handling easier.
Since having a henna head my hair definately has more weight and more manageble but more prone to build up, i've been experimenting with oils but I think I'm a bit heavy handed. their is a wicked oil thread that explains the oils that penetrate or sit on top of the hair i'm trying to locate it again because I think I might be better using some of the non penetrating ones for styling and extra weight. Lush's 'shine so bright' is good for the tips of my hair, it contains a few different oils and is difficult to be heavy handed with, kinda gathers my curls together nicely.
How do you guys find using boar bristle brushes? does it help manage your fine hair or does it give you fly aways?
I'm new and still trying to grasp the lingo
Is COing just conditioning? COC? WEN?
What are SMT's and would anyone have time to clarify what is required to make a vinegar rinse?