PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water and Hair Color

UP Lisa
March 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
A question for those of you who color your hair and also have hard water. Is it possible to use a shampoo for hard water, and not ruin your color? I can avoid silicones so that I don't have to use a clarifying shampoo, but I can't avoid my hard water. It is not extremely hard, but it is hard. It makes my hair tangly, and adds red tones to it.

morecowbell
March 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Hey there,
I've got INSANELY hard water (as in, the tea kettle looks like the inside has been coated with white paint!), and I've never really noticed a change... However, I have had red hair most of the time I've lived here, so I wouldn't notice it anyway.
If you want to stop your hair from being colored by it, maybe this would work?
http://www.sallybeauty.com/hard-water-shampoo/ION12,default,pd.html (there's also a conditioner, and a hair mask of the same thing)
I've been wanting to try it, but haven't yet... maybe there's a review?

HTH :)

UP Lisa
March 24th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Funny. I just ordered that product. Haven't tried it yet.

I was actually thinking of going red, so maybe that would be less of a problem than another color would be. I'm just afraid that the hard water shampoo will be hard on color.

UP Lisa
March 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM
MoreCowBell,

I just looked at your pictures. You are a really cute girl! Love the red on you!

Lisa

morecowbell
March 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
First, THANK YOU! :D Every time someone tells me that the red looks good, my resolve to grow out virgin hair gets weaker!:laugh:
If you used henna, the shampoo probably wouldn't affect the color, but I think I read an article by someone who used the "crystals" hair pack to remove henna, so maybe not...

Anyway, I'd love to know how this works for you! :)