PDA

View Full Version : One everyday style or many?

Stevy
March 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I admit it... when it comes to updo styles, I'm kind of faithless, and I have the attention span of a stoned butterfly. Every now and again I get a strong craving for messy buns, or asymmetrical styles, or styles that I can wear to show off a particular clip, and for a week or so nothing else will do... and then the next week I'm all 'Braided buns for me!' or 'Actually, what I really want to wear are plain styles with a pretty Flexi-8'.

Anyone else the same? Or do the rest of you pick one everyday style and stick to it? :)

embee
March 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I mostly wear an orchid bun because it is fast, secure, and only requires one hairstick. I don't have time/energy to fool with hairstyling in the morning before work. ;) Which is one reason I want long hair.

MerryKat
March 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM
I tend to wear what I know will stay put for the day with out pulling or slipping, so my standard are cinnabun (with and without half up first), figure 8 (occasionally sideways figure 8 - can't remember name) and flipped cinnabun - all usually held with forks or a single chunky stick.

Elbereth
March 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM
My styles vary from day to day, but there are just a few everyday styles I have "in rotation": celtic knot, cinnabun, high bun under a scarf. They are quick to make in the morning, and will last all day. My hairtoys and scarves bring a little variation, though in everyday they too are on the practical side (due to my orchard work).

Sometimes I get bored and wear then something different for day or a few days, but it seems that I always return to these basic styles.

paperwhite
March 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I wear a Gibraltar Bun almost every day. I'll even sleep in it sometimes. Every once in a while I'll switch it up and wear a different bun, but all in all, I've found that this one holds the best and longest for me. I don't really wear braids because they tend to get in the way just as much as lose hair would.

Finoriel
March 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I tend to do different styles every day.
Just when I canŽt be bothered or am in an extreme hurry in the morning, then IŽll always fall back on the good old reliable and comfy inside-out bun or just leave my sleep-braid in for the day.

Pierre
March 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
My usual style is two bunlets with dangling tassels, one behind each ear, held with Flexis. I can make it in a couple of minutes, and it stays put for days, hardly even getting any fuzz. But right now I have my hair folded up above my forehead. I also like a pair of braids, but I still have to heal a muscle in my arm, and they get very fuzzy after a couple of days.

Ravenne
March 24th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I tend to go back and forth between buns and braids in general. Depending on how late I'm running in the morning, I'll put my hair up in a simple bun with a single hairstick or a french braid. They both hold very well and keep my hair back and out of the way. If I have a little more time I'll do a dutch braid.

.Amanaka.
March 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I tend to find one style and stick with it. For months. For a while it was the F8 bun, and now it's just a plain cinnabutt bun held with four hairpins. There are slight variations - today my bun is on the side, sometimes I wear braids, etc.

Carolyn
March 24th, 2010, 07:48 AM
One of the reasons I have long hair is to be able to do different styles. I thought shoulder my shoulder length layered style was so boring and it was also quite high maintenance. I love changing styles almost every day. I pick my styles depending on the day's planned activities. Sometimes I have a yen to use a certain hair toy so I base my style on that. It's so nice not to be locked in to one or two shorter styles like in the past. If I do the same bun or braid more than a couple days in a row I'm so bored and feel like I'm in a rut.

enfys
March 24th, 2010, 08:03 AM
It depends how much thought I put into it in the morning; most days it's a Gibralter or cinnabun but it will often change throughout the day; if a bun loosened and slipped out why try and re-do the troublemaker? When I was in college and could get up later and it didn't matter if I re-did my hair because I didn't have a boss etc I was much more creative with my styles.

I've asked friends who have mentioned people's hair being "boring" and they all believe I wear lots of different styles and mix it up. I don't think my buns look the same twice...

Masara
March 24th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I like to vary my updos. I can't remember the last time I did the same style twice in a row.
I'll go through phases of doing braids, but one day it will be a standard braided bun, the next a braided lazy wrap, after a French braid and so on. Or I'll wear forks all week, but again, it will be different forks each day.

Spike
March 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'd have to vote for the "many" end of updos. My hair will finally (FINALLY) be long enough this summer to go up, so I plan to start learning a variety of buns.

I figure it's like packing a lunch--you have a couple of easy quick fallbacks (frozen burrito, PB & J, balogna sandwich) for mornings when you feel hassled and hurried--and then you have some that take a little longer or some preplanning (asian chicken salad, curry and steamed rice, honest to goshen bento) for other mornings when you're in the mood to dither a bit.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I like to do different styles, depending on my mood. However, if I can't get one to work, as is often the case, I will fall back to my default bun, or even just wear my hair down.

misstwist
March 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm with Carolyn. The entire reason I'm growing my hair out is so I can have good variety in hairstyles. There are some styles that I rely on more than others, simply because I like the way they look on me.

I like highly structured styles and a retro-ish look. I'm getting better and better at those and I'm not afraid to use lots and lots of pins if I need to.

Gumball
March 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I definitely have a default style, maybe two. Those are a braided bun or the Nautilus bun. Anything else I might do deviates from that. That's only when the mood strikes and I have the time to do it (or someone else to help me out).

loralie
March 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Because I'm not-quite-APL and currently unemployed I mostly just pull my hair back, twist it into a loop and bun it. Basically a folded ponytail. Any other buns are either way too small to look nice or i just don't have the hair yet.

akka naeda
March 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Generally a plaited Fig 8 or plaited cinnabun, this allows me to have the hair still reasonably contained if it comes out.

But it also varies depending on the weather - in the winter I only wear Ficcare clips or my Quattro U-pins and I can only do 2 styles with them. In the summer I wear sticks because I don't need to wear hats or hoods so I have more choice of styles.

Alcenaia
March 24th, 2010, 11:59 AM
One of the reasons I have long hair is to be able to do different styles. ... I love changing styles almost every day. I pick my styles depending on the day's planned activities. Sometimes I have a yen to use a certain hair toy so I base my style on that. It's so nice not to be locked in to one or two shorter styles like in the past. If I do the same bun or braid more than a couple days in a row I'm so bored and feel like I'm in a rut.

That is exactly how I approach this. :) Sometimes I pick my entire outfit around a hair toy, lol.

Stevy
March 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Wow, it's been really fascinating reading everyone's answers! Anyone else want to chime in?

And I'm glad it's not just me who can plan a whole outfit round a hair toy....

P.S Spike, loving the lunchbox analogy!

2peasinapod
March 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
My hair's not really long enough to put up except in a pony stub (which I sometimes clip up to protect the ends). However, I'm currently experimenting with braids. Sometimes I make two french braids and tie the ends in a pony, and sometimes I'll braid the front sections (english or herringbone) and leave the rest loose.

I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do the buns and updos everyone is talking about! :)

Hiriel
March 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I like to vary the styles I wear, simply because I can. However, I'm not a morning person, and some of the fancier (ETA: fancy for me, that is :P) dos might take 15 minutes or more to put up, which I'm simply not going to do at seven in the morning (my morning routine usually consists of getting up and putting clothes on :p). So I very often end up with doing one of my basics. Braided bun, nautilus bun or English braid are the most common ones. The reason is that I know they will hold all day, and I can do them in less than two minutes. I try to vary the hairtoys to make a different style. But I suspect that at least 50-60% of the time, I end up with a flexi8 Nautilus bun. Because it's comfortable and does not budge. At all.

HairColoredHair
March 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I used to do cinnabuns pretty much every day. Then I changed it up and have been doing BRAIDED cinnabuns pretty much every day. I know... I'm adventurous!

:D

satindesire
March 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I know absolutely NO updo styles at all, so I usually either do a bun, messy bun, ponytail or pigtail braids. I wanted to join the community especially to learn updo styles.

lindenblossom
March 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I definitely tend to stick with the same updo, day after day, but that's okay with me.

Even though recently I got a variety of secondhand hair accessories, I find that I am staying with the Bronze Jewelers barrette I bought off the swap board a few weeks ago. It holds my updos very well, and my only concern is what I will do when I have too much hair for it (I have the largest size).

I *was* doing folded braids with different clips for awhile, but now it's just my twisted bun (sort of like a lazy French twist) in the aforementioned barrette.

My other hair accessories might have to be given away or sold, as I would like them to be used by someone.

Kristin
March 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Since I recently acquired a few hair forks and sticks I have been wearing my hair up every day (even on the days that I PLAN to wear it down). I try to vary my styles, but I still don't know that many. Usually I'll do1-2 rose or cinnabuns, a French twist, unnamed stick updo, French braid, French rope, or sometimes a French herringbone (though those tend to loosen because of my layers:().

TXbarbie
March 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
My hair is finally getting a little longer, but since it's layered it doesn't tend to stay in buns all day unless it's wet. So I usually only wear it up with a hairstick after it's been washed, otherwise it's in a ponytail or something. But 80% of the time, it's down. I should really start wearing it up more, though :)

pennyroyal
March 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
oh man, i cannot wait to be able to wear my hair up again!!! grow grow grow hair!!!

tcheney91
March 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm soooo OCD with my hair. For example, I haven't worn my hair the same way in the past two weeks! Today I did Elizabethan Hair Taping, yesterday I wore a Nautilus bun, the day before that a braided Cinnabun. I wear all sorts of things. I also like plain braids down my back, half up with a clip or something fancier. I'm a big fan of little braids coming together into a big bun.

Keildra
March 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have a default style, it's a twist and clip, that I wear a lot. Every now and again I'll learn a new style, wear that style for a few days and then I'm back to my default style. It just depends on how much time I have and how important what I'm doing that day is.

Stagecoach
March 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM
My everyday style is a cinna bun.

Occasionally I'll mix it up with braided cinna bun, tucked log roll, or figure 8, but that's about it unless it's a very special occasion.

deviantkitten
March 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I admit it- I change my hairstyle a couple times a day LOL. Partly because i am new to true hairtoy, and my collection has grown quite large since I joined this site.....and I kind of want to show off a little bit. If I am at the theater or in the x or commissary, or even out on the economy, or at a party.....pretty much anywhere in public, I will take my hair down, and change the style and lovingly place my toy in my hair. I wear my hair up everyday, so I don't get compliments on it. But when I take it down and fix it, I get lovely compliments on the style and the toy. I am not an attention seeker, I never get compliments, but I like it when people compliment me on something I love so much and work so hard on- like my hair! I usually switch back and forth between the LWB and the Hypno bun. People are amazed at what I do with my hair, and I often get asked how to do these styles

Jen123
March 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I wear my hair down everyday at work, but the second I get home it goes in a simple braid. I used to french braid when I got home, but I watched some videos on how to improve my french braid technique and now I can't french braid AT ALL. :( Hopefully I'll learn how to do more here.