PDA

View Full Version : Question about a tutorial video

Bucatini
March 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I saw this tutorial for a "modern chignon":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kKWp1Z37U

and I am curious about where he says "rough it up" (oh my!:o) while he's twisting the length and talking about how to form the chignon.

For that particular part, he doesn't use any tools other than his hands, though it does sort of look like the backcombing/ teasing motion. Do we think this is SAFE to do to the length? I completely love this look and want to try it.

PS Yes I know I should skip the flat ironing step, and that his "bungee" thing looks incredibly dangerous.

tralalalara
March 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I think "roughing it up" with the hands is a little better than with a comb, and you certainly don't have to rat it up as much as he did. A couple "back-scrunches", we'll call them, should be fine, but it could still tangle and damage a little if you aren't very careful taking it down and combing it out.

Keildra
March 23rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
That whole tutorial didn't look safe to me, but the hair bungee was just something I could see ripping hair out in clumps. Now you don't have to "rough up" the hair like that you can use a sock bun sock and chignon wrap your hair around it and then pull it out ward piece by piece to get the same effect.

tralalalara
March 23rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
OH! I didn't even think about using a sock! That would actually make it way easier and hold longer!

beez1717
March 24th, 2010, 02:36 AM
When he used the iron it made me wince. I think I might have a nightmare tonight!

Bucatini
March 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
OH! I didn't even think about using a sock! That would actually make it way easier and hold longer!

And BIGGER! My hair is really fine so my buns are pathetically small. :( I often do a sock bun but I really liked the texture he acheived. The model had really thick hair which I'm sure helps. I'm just going to try it what's the worst that could happen? (Famous last words....) Will post pics if it's lovely.

Irishred
March 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hate to be a thread bummer, but an uncombed look is not "modern". It is messy. Not saying it need to be perfect, but I like to look combed at least.

In truth, That looks like my morning hair hair when I sleep in a secured topknot bun... O-o