PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut? that is the question

boomygrrl
March 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
I don't post here often, although I lurk at times. I like having long hair, but by most LHC standards, I probably have "medium" hair. I only had what people would consider short hair once in my life-- in second grade.
I'm 39, so that was over 30 years ago.
I am a curly girl (3a/3b). I get my hair trimmed/cut once every 3 to 4 months, mostly to get split ends removed.

Wow! I waited longer this time...5.5 months. My hair is getting long. The longest is already bra stap level...and that's with it curly. If I straightened it, no telling how long my hair really is. I refuse to straighten, so will never know for sure.

A month ago, I made an appointment with my hairstylist. She's like the only one I know that can cut curly hair.
Now, I'm not so sure I want to cut it. I may still get it trimmed, but I was thinking of actually getting it cut like 3-4 inches. I think I'm falling in love with my long hair.
I have one week to think about it (well, 8 days).

It's a preference thing, I know. There's no "right or wrong" answers. But I think you guys are rubbing off on me. LOL

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Boomygrrl

boomygrrl
March 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Let me add...as this post looked confusing.
I made an appointment a month ago, meaning I called in for the appointment. Couldn't be seen until this next week, March 31st.

Also, I'm a curly girl, meaning I have curly hair. I don't follow the CG method of CO washing.

Sara Smile
March 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Well, you have a week to think about it, but really you have more time than that. If you get just a trim this time, you can always cut more at your next appointment in 3-5 months. That way you have longer to decide if you like the longer hair or if it's too much. :)

Marjolein
March 23rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Well, what do you have to lose by just having a tiny trim this time around? Perhaps you'll love it, great! Perhaps you won't, the hairdresser isn't going anywhere.

CrisDee
March 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
I would just go for a dusting, and see how you like it at a longer length than you're used to. You can play around with some new updo's to see if you'll enjoy it :)

DakarNick
March 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
I like having long hair... I think I'm falling in love with my long hair.

Seems to me like you already answered your own question :D Trim it and, like mentioned, give it until next trim to decide.

simplysnuggle
March 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
I say get the trim you can always cut a little shorter if you want later. If you chop it all off its not gonna instantly grow back.

2peasinapod
March 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I agree with just getting a trim to see if you like it longer. You can always get more cut later, but it's a little harder to put it back on ;).

boomygrrl
March 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. It's like my hair stopped growing and then booooom it grew several inches overnight.

boomygrrl
March 31st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Well, today is the big day. Last night, I was still debating. Long hair or a little shorter hair.
With it a little shorter, I think my curls might be bouncier. But long hair is nice.
I asked my husband. Of course, I make the ultimate decision and I sometimes listen to him (sometimes not...LOL). He voted for the long hair.
Since I'm not for sure, I think it is the wisest thing to do...just get a trim to shape up my hair...it's terribly uneven right now (hair grows in different rates) and just let it do it's thing.

Although I don't follow the CG method (CO washing)...I use gentle shampoos and I limit anything that might build up (only using water soluble cones, amodimethicone, and an occasional "no-no" cone). I don't use hairdryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc. My hair is very very healthy....no split ends or very minimal after 5.5 months of no trimming.
So, instead of saying cut an inch off to get off the dead ends, I think I'm just going to tell her to shape it, so it's even.

Thanks again!

walterSCAN
March 31st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Let us know how it goes!:drama:

boomygrrl
April 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Got a little trim, kept my length. My hairdresser did put long layers around my face, but it didn't look like she trimmed more than 1/4 an inch all around.
She complimented my hair, that it was healthy. It's so subtle, no one will really notice, except now it's more even in the back.

Splurged on a few hair products-- not at the salon...it's an Aveda salon and wasn't interested in buying there. I went to ULTA afterwards and got some leave-in conditioner.
I enjoyed scrunching my curls this morning. I have a three day weekend ahead of me, the weather is nice, and just love love love my long hair.

Thanks y'all!