PDA

View Full Version : Traveling

Keep It Flowin
March 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
What does everyone do with their hair while traveling? With the crazy security rules you pretty much cant bring much with you.

I just went on a week vacation and didnt/couldnt bring any hair stuff other than my comb. I managed to just wash once but I had to use "regular" 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner. I couldn't have gone the whole week without washing or I'd have looked like a flakey greaseball!

simplysnuggle
March 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I just buy the little travel size empty containers and I can bring my own products. I also bring plastic hair sticks instead of metal (cause metal ones have to be less than 4") I've never really had a problem traveling with my hair products :)

elliebean184
March 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I found I could cut my travel toiletries significantly if I mixed jojoba oil into my conditioner (about 1:6), since I can CO with it and use it as an ok leave-in. I stick with hair ties and plastic claw clips, though.

Anje
March 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I usually go by car, but there's no reason you can't pack shampoo and conditioner in separate 3oz bottles. Or even pack a few conditioners. Sometimes it's easier to purchase a sacrificial bottle of conditioner at your destination, if you use something reasonably inexpensive and available.

I flew last year with a Ficcare and metal hairsticks (I think...) in my carry-on. No checked luggage on that trip. Didn't have any problems with it, though I prefer to have my hair in a braid for flights or car rides, which also prevents metal detector problems. If you want to be completely safe, though, you can pack a small box with your address and postage already written on it, and some tape. If an item can't go through security for some reason, you can pack it up and drop it in a mailbox, then try to go through again.

Totally un-hair-related: you can bring an empty water bottle through security, then fill it at a fountain on the other side. I double-checked this with a friend who is a TSA trainer, and he told me it's completely kosher. LAX water is horrible, though.

TXbarbie
March 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
I go through a whole bottle of vo5 conditioners in a few washes... so I pack a new bottle in my checked baggage since there's no limit on liquids there. That and detangler is all I need since I CO. And a couple hair ties for the jet skis, of course!

My sorority sisters and I just got back from a week in Costa Rica and I had to wash my hair EVERYDAY - something I haven't done since last spring break. Ugh my hair is so mad at me right now.

Johanna
March 23rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
When I went travelling in America last year I had a clear baggie with little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, travel toothbrush and toothpaste and I was fine. I kept my hair in a braid and it lasted through 28 hours of traveling on four flights.
It meant that when I got to my destination I could just unwravell my hair and it was relativley tangle free.
For my other hair accesories I put them in check in baggage.

Cirafly24
March 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
I will be flying to NY this Friday, and I'm still trying to figure out how to bring all my hair stuff. I planned on not checking any luggage, just bringing a carry-on. However, if I do that I can't bring my shampoo, conditioner, or oils.

I am going to be staying at my parents' house, however, so I might just leave my stuff at home and use theirs. It won't be as good, but it should be fine for a week.

Keep It Flowin
March 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
I will be flying to NY this Friday, and I can't bring my shampoo, conditioner, or oils.

I am going to be staying at my parents' house, however, so I might just leave my stuff at home and use theirs. It won't be as good, but it should be fine for a week.

Can you send yourself a package to your parents' house so you can have all your products there for the week?

jera
March 23rd, 2010, 01:29 AM
Can you send yourself a package to your parents' house so you can have all your products there for the week?

Good thinking. That's what I would do. :D

pdy2kn6
March 23rd, 2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks for asking this, I too am interested. I hope they will never ban me wearing my ketylo hairsticks....

windinherhair
March 23rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
I just had to take a trip, and there was absolutely no time to plan anything. I used travel size containers. The rest I put under the plane. The hair toys I brought on the plane are all made out of wood. I put my hair scissors in my luggage under the plane just in case they would give me a hard time about it.

Purdy Bear
March 23rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Iv never travelled by plane so please excuse my ignorance. What I would do, is get the little plastic bottles (as another member suggested) and fill them with my usual stuff, and take one comb. Then I would have a great time buying new hair toys and then send them in a package home.

The only thing to check (especially if importing to the US) is that you have the correct import code, or the stuff will get distroyed. I found this out while sending Jelly Babies (sweets/candy) from the Uk to the US.

Johanna
March 23rd, 2010, 05:05 AM
...The only thing to check (especially if importing to the US) is that you have the correct import code, or the stuff will get distroyed. I found this out while sending Jelly Babies (sweets/candy) from the Uk to the US.

Really? I've sent box loads of food stuffs to the US from australia and I havent had anything destroyed on me. I've sent chocolates, buscuits, vegemite, milo and so forth. All I did was list the contents on the international sending form and that was fine.

Carolyn
March 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I will be flying to NY this Friday, and I'm still trying to figure out how to bring all my hair stuff. I planned on not checking any luggage, just bringing a carry-on. However, if I do that I can't bring my shampoo, conditioner, or oils.

I am going to be staying at my parents' house, however, so I might just leave my stuff at home and use theirs. It won't be as good, but it should be fine for a week.When you get there go out and buy small sizes of your favorite products and then leave them at your parents home ready for your next visit. Would you use 2 oz. of oil in a week? Maybe you could bring a small bottle of that with you and buy the rest when you get there.

atlantaz3
March 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
My longer than 4" metal hair stick went through the scanner (while in my hair) just fine. I've never had any one check my hair sticks and I get pulled out often for an extra check. Can someone explain to me why a 5'4" blond with blue eyes gets a wand check?! Anyway they have never asked me to take down my hair or to inspect forks or sticks. I agree on the travel size bottles even if I buy a sample of something else I save the bottle and refill from my own. I have a quart size baggie with all the liquids that also goes through non checked bags without any troubles. I take oils, poos, cond. etc.

atlantaz3
March 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
What did get a funny look from the TSA was the commercial cookie press with a stainless steel cannister that was in my carry on luggage. (Along with a great sale on baking pans from Caphalon.) I wondered why my bag was going backwards and forwards and told them what it was and that I would be happy to show them. They said they couldn't figure out why I would have a caulking gun (what they thought it was) in my luggage!

Keep It Flowin
March 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
. Can someone explain to me why a 5'4" blond with blue eyes gets a wand check?!

I'm 5' under 100lbs and I ALWAYS get wanded or have to go back and walk through again....:confused:

Also, with my recent trip I did not have time to run out and hunt down travel sized bottles I can transfer my own hair product into. I use WEN and with my length it instructs using about 25-30 pumps of the product with each cleansing (not washing). So it would take several of those bottles I would think.

GeoJ
March 23rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have a bunch of small Nalgene travel containers that I bought at an outdoor store. I fill those with my favorite oils and shea butter (I use that as lip balm and moisturizer). The security people like me to at least write with a marker what the contents are, and I keep it in the plastic baggie, as required. I like to travel with only the smallest carry-on possible, so I like to bring a shampoo bar instead of shampoo (and I am looking for a conditioner bar).

I usually wear my hair in some kind of bun (held with either sticks, a ficcare, or jaw clips). If I don't want to worry about the metal detector I will just use wooden sticks. So far no trouble, but I did have my bun checked once.

I have never had any hair things confiscated (so far anyway); including my catnip, oils, and long pointy hairsticks. My DH still doesn't like it that I bring so many 'odd' things, he thinks it is bound cause trouble some day.