PDA

View Full Version : Pony tail

shockinglength
March 22nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Is a pony more or less damageing than loose hair?

HairColoredHair
March 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
That depends on your hair, how you secure and remove the pony, and where you place the pony each day.

A tightly bound pony can cause stress on the hair, especially if the tie has metal bits or sharp glue pieces. And if bound in the same place each day it can lead to breakage.

Loose hair is more likely to get caught on things, like clothing, chairs, car doors, etc. All of this can cause damage. And getting blown about by the wind can cause tangles.

Also, I found that the longer my hair got, the more all the cons to loose hair also applied to the ponytail. :)

simplysnuggle
March 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
I don't really have damage with a simple pony because it keeps my hair out of the way. There always is chance for damage if your hair is left out rather than in a bun or a braid. Just my experience. Also when my pony is too tight even when using a fabric covered band (no metal EVER) I can still have some hairs ripped out.

jera
March 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
As someone who ponies daily for workouts, I can definitely say ponies do more damage than leaving hair loose and flowing, because there is constant friction against the hair which will cause breakage, believe me. :o

share801
March 23rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
For me, the placement makes a difference. Low ones don't seem to move much on me and seem more hair friendly than high ones that swing and bounce.

Bethie
March 23rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
That depends on your hair, how you secure and remove the pony, and where you place the pony each day.

A tightly bound pony can cause stress on the hair, especially if the tie has metal bits or sharp glue pieces. And if bound in the same place each day it can lead to breakage.

Loose hair is more likely to get caught on things, like clothing, chairs, car doors, etc. All of this can cause damage. And getting blown about by the wind can cause tangles.

I agree with this and couldn't have said it better

Carolyn
March 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
HCH said it very well. I find I get as many tangles with a ponytail as I do when I wear my hair down. High ponytails don't work for me. If I wear a low ponytail, I end up with a massive neck tangle. So I rarely do a pony anymore. I miss them.