PDA

View Full Version : I feel a big decision coming on.

coscass
March 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM
I've been toying around with an idea and I really need your guys' advice. I've been thinking about letting my hair grow another 4-5 inches, waiting a month or so, and then chopping to about APL.

I love my hair since growing it long and learning about CO and all the great things I can do for my hair. Really, I do. But..

1. I can't stand having nasty 4-inch roots before I finally either get around to or get the money for 2 boxes of hair dye to put the red back into my head. I also can't afford to go to a salon and get it done every few months. If it were less hair I was working with, maybe I'd find it easier to keep up.

2. I think I want to start letting my natural colour grow out.

3. I'm getting that all to familiar itch to try rocking some short, spunky styles for a while- hell maybe even get some highlights or do something crazy. If my plan is to go back to natural-- why not have some fun first?

4. I think my hair is pretty healthy, but I've never had the guts to do a big enough chop to knock off years of flat iron and blowdry abuse, and this would be getting it all out of the way.

...Hair grows back, right? I'm not going to do anything without thinking it through. I just feel...idk. Like I need to do this. But I know I'll love it, and also regret it, but I also know I can always start over. I never take risks anymore. I went short once and loved it. Hated the growing-out-stage, but after that I never really took anymore risks. I want to try highlights. I want to try a cut that I probably shouldn't even attempt with the texture of my hair.

I just want something different. But I'm afraid I'm going to miss people loving my long hair, because I like being recognised for it.

grmn-rpnzl
March 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
This might be alittle left field, but have you thought about clip in extensions they make ones that can give you short(er) hair. That way you wont lose length and you can play with different hair colors and textures. Just a suggestion.
-Henna hair dye is also a great option to dying hair
-Look around online and way your options, make a list of pro's and con's and try one of those vitrual hair makeovers

Whatever you chose to do......Good Luck, have fun with it, and truely LOVE IT!

Tornerose
March 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
If I were you, I'd buy a couple of cheap wigs first and try it out.
See if you like the convenience of short (wig)hair, if you like it swishing around your face, and if you like beeing able to change haircolours every week without having to worry too much about damage and all the other stuff.

I know it's probably not the same as actually cutting, but this way you get to try a few styles/colours without hurting anything else than your wallet. And there can be cheap wigs around too, so you don't nescessarily have to hurt your wallet either :D

tralalalara
March 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
I cut back to just above BSL a couple days ago, which got rid of almost five inches of damage and layering, and I thought it would be a big deal, but it wasn't. No one even noticed.

I say it's more than a good idea to chop the damage now, especially since it makes CO feel even cleaner.

You could also cut off all the color now and try some daring styles as you grow out the natural color. No one ever said you had to have at least chin length hair to be on LHC! =]
And I've heard that it's easier to experiment with new wash regimens with shorter hair, especially WO and SO(sebum only).

Elenna
March 22nd, 2010, 02:34 AM
The old damage doesn't disappear just because your hair has grown long. And you are growing the hair dye out which can be a major pain too.